2011-2012 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) How has your education, experience, and background prepared you to interact effectively with people who have lives different from yours (cultural, social, religious, educational, etc.)? (Limit: 350 words)
2) What is your specific interest in attending The University of Arizona College of Medicine? How will the opportunities we offer allow you to build on your skills and prior experiences? (Limit: 350 words)
3) Talk about a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. (For example, you might talk about a clinical experience or caring for a sick family member.) What did you learn from this experience as it relates to the medical profession? (Limit: 350 words)
4) Discuss a challenge you have faced in your life. How did you overcome this adversity? What does it mean to you now? (Limit: 350 words)
5) Do you believe your MCAT scores or GPA accurately represents your potential to succeed in medical school? Why or why not? (Limit: 350 words)
6) If you are a returning applicant, please share what you have done since you last applied. (Limit: 350 words)
7) Discuss any experiences you have had learning or speaking another language, even if you are not fluent. In what contexts have you used this language? How do you feel this experience contributed to your personal and/or academic growth? (Limit: 350 words)

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
University of Arizona... my state school. LETS DO THIS!!!

Bear down for a long application cycle fellow wildcats. Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I thought this thread already existed, but oh well, we'll get it going again...

I just wanted to say 'good luck' to you all, and to tell you that I'm a soon-to-be MSIII at UACOM-Phoenix, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. There's also a few other Phx students who will likely pop their heads into this thread from time to time, and a few Tucson students as well, so hopefully we can help you all out (see, the SDN time waste can extend well into med school and beyond, haha)!

Again, good luck this season!

I've been real impressed with everything I've read about Arizona. Still hoping to hear good news from a waitlist this year, but if not, I'll be applying here. How does U of A treat OOS applicants?

I've been real impressed with everything I've read about Arizona. Still hoping to hear good news from a waitlist this year, but if not, I'll be applying here. How does U of A treat OOS applicants?

All I know for sure on the subject is that the past two years they've taken 75% IS and 25% OOS between Tucson and Phoenix (so, for example, the class of 2014 in Tucson had more accepted IS students than 75%, so Phoenix took 30% OOS to balance it out). As far as I know, it will be the same way this year.

I'd say if your OOS, apply early and definitely let them know you'd be interested in coming here. Good luck!

Hey guys,

I thought this thread already existed, but oh well, we'll get it going again...

I just wanted to say 'good luck' to you all, and to tell you that I'm a soon-to-be MSIII at UACOM-Phoenix, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. There's also a few other Phx students who will likely pop their heads into this thread from time to time, and a few Tucson students as well, so hopefully we can help you all out (see, the SDN time waste can extend well into med school and beyond, haha)!

Again, good luck this season!

Hello there, thank you for your contribution to this forum and answering questions, giving advice, etc.

I was just curious if you could offer your insight to what some of the major program differences are between U of A Tucson and the Phoenix campus. I know the Phoenix campus requires a capstone, thesis, scholarly project--whatever you care to call it. I seriously LOVE the idea of this. I have taken an interest in research, and my application will definitely will show this. Would you say the Phoenix campus is more inclined to accept students that are more "researchy" per se? I know U of A really favors those with clinical experience too. What else would you say U of A is primarily interested in seeing in regards to those they select to accept into their program? Thank you in advanced!

Hello there, thank you for your contribution to this forum and answering questions, giving advice, etc.

I was just curious if you could offer your insight to what some of the major program differences are between U of A Tucson and the Phoenix campus. I know the Phoenix campus requires a capstone, thesis, scholarly project--whatever you care to call it. I seriously LOVE the idea of this. I have taken an interest in research, and my application will definitely will show this. Would you say the Phoenix campus is more inclined to accept students that are more "researchy" per se? I know U of A really favors those with clinical experience too. What else would you say U of A is primarily interested in seeing in regards to those they select to accept into their program? Thank you in advanced!

I'm barely in the application process so take what I say with a grain of salt. From what I've heard/read though, I think the Tucson campus also has a capstone project but it's not mandatory--they just encourage it. One other major difference is during your 3rd and 4th year. The Phoenix campus has multiple affiliations with the hospitals around town so you can do rotations at specific sites (e.g. pediatrics at Phoenix Children's Hospital, trauma at Maricopa, etc.) of your choosing, whereas the Tucson campus is centered around the University hospital.

I'm barely in the application process so take what I say with a grain of salt. From what I've heard/read though, I think the Tucson campus also has a capstone project but it's not mandatory--they just encourage it. One other major difference is during your 3rd and 4th year. The Phoenix campus has multiple affiliations with the hospitals around town so you can do rotations at specific sites (e.g. pediatrics at Phoenix Children's Hospital, trauma at Maricopa, etc.) of your choosing, whereas the Tucson campus is centered around the University hospital.

This is what I have heard too. I think this is a good thing, even though many think that this is a negative to the U of A phoenix program--the fact that they don't have a dedicated University hospital. However, I think all of the rotation sites are great, and you get to go to hospitals where their focus or specialty is what clinical month you're in. EX- Barrow's for Neuro. PCH for peds, etc. I kind of like this idea a little more, as it seems like you're not "stuck" in the same medical center and I also like to see how other places operate. Driving in around Phoenix isn't intolerable either.

This is what I have heard too. I think this is a good thing, even though many think that this is a negative to the U of A phoenix program--the fact that they don't have a dedicated University hospital. However, I think all of the rotation sites are great, and you get to go to hospitals where their focus or specialty is what clinical month you're in. EX- Barrow's for Neuro. PCH for peds, etc. I kind of like this idea a little more, as it seems like you're not "stuck" in the same medical center and I also like to see how other places operate. Driving in around Phoenix isn't intolerable either.

Yeah, we do our MSIII clerkships at those specific field-oriented sites as you mention. The main downside to not having an attached hospital really only affects you in the first two years, I think, as you can't just wander next-door to watch a surgery or something right after class. Still though, we are only in class for 5 hrs per day at the most, so it's very easy to set things up at other hospitals and drive there, and it's nice because you're usually the only other student around so you get individualized attention. Not quite as convenient, though.

The Capstone weeks are the one-week periods following each block where you don't have class but you are assigned to different locations in the community to see the clinical applications of the block you just learned about (i.e., after Clinical Anatomy you watch autopsies at the ME's office, you see angiography procedures and dialysis centers after Cardio-Pulm-Renal, watch babies being delivered after Repro, just to name a few). I don't believe Tucson has this, but they do have other opportunities, and they are in school for fewer weeks per year due to this.

I think you were confusing Capstone with our Scholarly Project, which yes, is a requirement at our school but something you can do at other schools, including Tucson. I think having TGen nearby may attract students interested in research to the Phoenix campus, but there are certainly many awesome opportunities in Tucson as well.

I was accepted to both campuses my year and felt they were both amazing schools which would provide me with a fantastic medical education, but Phoenix was more my style - smaller, in the downtown area of a big city and not on a university campus (though still near ASU's facilities which we can use), plus I really liked the idea of being a part of building something new. The curriculum changes year to year due to student feedback, so I really like that we are shaping the school Phoenix is to become.

There are other differences such as LCE (which is similar to Tucson's Societies), and I think our Doctoring program might be slightly different, though Tucson has a similar curricular component. Other slight differences include the fact that Phoenix is Pass/Fail with no ranking (Tucson is P/F but still ranks and still has AOA), and from what I can tell from my friends in Tucson, Phoenix has exams more frequently. Phoenix exams are all Step 1 format - computerized, time allotted, question format, etc. - I think Tucson is similar but I don't know.

Again, both are great - decide for yourself if you want to be at a larger school with a longstanding good reputation with the convenience of an attached hospital and university facilities, or if you like the smaller and newer school that is changing and growing, and (IMO) may encourage you to be somewhat more independent and proactive in shaping the education you'd like to get (research, shadowing opportunities, etc.), but is a very exciting endeavor and close family to be a part of. It's totally a "best fit for you" type of thing, and as I said, I think I would have been happy and extremely satisfied at either, though Phoenix fit my personality best. Hope that helps.

Great information about the Phoenix campus, thanks Brrooother.

It be nice to hear Tucson student's input on their program.

OOSer that's really interested. Sounds like it's an uphill battle for us though. We shall see.

Other slight differences include the fact that Phoenix is Pass/Fail with no ranking (Tucson is P/F but still ranks and still has AOA)

As I understand it, we sort of have ranking in Tucson. It is done internally and AOA and junior AOA are awarded based on it, but if you're not in the top 10% (or whatever the AOA requirements are) it doesn't affect you. It is NOT in the dean's letter or anything sent to residencies unless you specify to have it in there. This means that the ranking will only be included if it benefits you. Same is true of first and second year class percentages, we have the option to include a chart showing our score and the class average, but you do NOT have to include that in the dean's letter either. Residency directors get way too many applications to keep track of which schools include rank and which don't to notice if rank is not included, so like I said, ranking/AOA can only benefit you.

Members don't see this ad :)

We don't have any mandatory capstone-like project here, as you pointed out. We do have similar research/community service/humanitarian distinction tracts though, but I wouldn't say they are encouraged necessarily. I mean, you will have all the support in the world if you choose to do them, but no one pushes us towards one of them. For instance, we have MSRP for research, which allows us to get a stipend of ~$3600 for the summer between MS-I & II for doing research. This is great, because at most other schools you have to find a lab with funding to pay you or become slave labor so you can pad your CV. Again, this is a great opportunity, but we aren't pushed to do it. We have many (most?) people just relaxing this summer.

In Tucson for MS-III, I guess we're kind of centered around UMC, but not really. People do rotations all over, like the VA, TMC, Kino, etc. For fourth year, you'll likely be doing away rotations, so you can go anywhere in the country, if you choose to, for a large chunk of the year.

Maybe Brooother can clarify this, but at most schools you rank where you'd like to do a particular rotation and not everyone gets their top choice. For instance, everyone will likely rank Barrow's really high for neuro, but they can only accommodate a couple students at a time so you may not get to go there. However, since Phx has been relatively small in its first couple of years, this may not be the case now, but I imagine as they expand it will have to happen.

I personally hate driving. The amount of time I spend driving is directly related to the level of frustration I have, so my bias is against driving. With that said, third year is supposed to be the most hectic year in medical school, and any extra drive time would suck. For instance, if you're doing a rotation at Mayo, but your apartment is near the medical school, you're probably looking at a 45+ minute commute (depending on traffic) each way. This may not sound bad now, but if you're coming off a 16+ hour shift at the hospital and you need to study for shelf exams when you get home and you're losing 90+ minutes commuting, you may have a different attitude. Again, maybe Brooother can comment on this as I don't know how often it happens that people commit to a relatively far away rotation and end up miserable due to drive time.

As you pointed out, the many different hospitals is a cool aspect of the Phoenix campus, but I just wanted to bring a different perspective that you may not have considered.

OOSer that's really interested. Sounds like it's an uphill battle for us though. We shall see.

It's always an uphill battle for OOSers, but I think both campuses are pretty open to OOS applicants, especially compared to other schools.

Last edited:
Maybe Brooother can clarify this, but at most schools you rank where you'd like to do a particular rotation and not everyone gets their top choice. For instance, everyone will likely rank Barrow's really high for neuro, but they can only accommodate a couple students at a time so you may not get to go there. However, since Phx has been relatively small in its first couple of years, this may not be the case now, but I imagine as they expand it will have to happen.

I personally hate driving. The amount of time I spend driving is directly related to the level of frustration I have, so my bias is against driving. With that said, third year is supposed to be the most hectic year in medical school, and any extra drive time would suck. For instance, if you're doing a rotation at Mayo, but your apartment is near the medical school, you're probably looking at a 45+ minute commute (depending on traffic) each way. This may not sound bad now, but if you're coming off a 16+ hour shift at the hospital and you need to study for shelf exams when you get home and you're losing 90+ minutes commuting, you may have a different attitude. Again, maybe Brooother can comment on this as I don't know how often it happens that people commit to a relatively far away rotation and end up miserable due to drive time.

As you pointed out, the many different hospitals is a cool aspect of the Phoenix campus, but I just wanted to bring a different perspective that you may not have considered.

Yeah, I agree that driving sucks, but I think if you do rotations at other hospitals in Tucson as well as UMC, the driving time spent is probably about the same here, assuming you live near campus. If you live in another part of the valley, yeah, you'll have to travel a bit, but besides our Family Med rotations (which, like Tucson, we can rank preferred sites all over the state, not just Phoenix) you do most clerkships at hospitals within a few miles of the school campus. I just checked the list, and it looks like a few students have rotations at sites in Scottsdale or Tempe, but the majority of us are within a 5 mi or so radius of the school (at least all of mine are, with the exception of Family Med for which I got Flagstaff, my top choice). We don't ever (unless you set something up yourself, which I have done) rotate at Mayo - you're right, it's quite far away.

Most of us do Neuro at BNI, Peds at PCH, etc., though not everyone and yes, that will probably have to change as the school expands. Not to worry, there are plenty of great hospitals here (as there are in Tucson).

Yeah, I agree that driving sucks, but I think if you do rotations at other hospitals in Tucson as well as UMC, the driving time spent is probably about the same here, assuming you live near campus. If you live in another part of the valley, yeah, you'll have to travel a bit, but besides our Family Med rotations (which, like Tucson, we can rank preferred sites all over the state, not just Phoenix) you do most clerkships at hospitals within a few miles of the school campus. I just checked the list, and it looks like a few students have rotations at sites in Scottsdale or Tempe, but the majority of us are within a 5 mi or so radius of the school (at least all of mine are, with the exception of Family Med for which I got Flagstaff, my top choice). We don't ever (unless you set something up yourself, which I have done) rotate at Mayo - you're right, it's quite far away.

Most of us do Neuro at BNI, Peds at PCH, etc., though not everyone and yes, that will probably have to change as the school expands. Not to worry, there are plenty of great hospitals here (as there are in Tucson).

:thumbup: This is why brooother rules UA-Phx (sorry shepardsun), but shouldn't you be buried in step-I books?

That rotation in Flagstaff sounds awesome! I was just up there last weekend, and I did not want to leave to go start my summer research.

:thumbup: This is why brooother rules UA-Phx (sorry shepardsun), but shouldn't you be buried in step-I books?

That rotation in Flagstaff sounds awesome! I was just up there last weekend, and I did not want to leave to go start my summer research.

Thanks, lrk, and yes, I am buried in Step 1 books... I definitely treasure my SDN breaks. :)

And yeah, there are two sites in Flag now (and I was told both Phoenix and Tucson participate in these for FM); I'm from Flag, so I'm very anxious to get back!

Have a good summer, lrk. :)

Hey current and future Wildcats! Count me in for this application cycle. Best of luck to everyone :)

just an fyi, in preparation for the class expansion, the Phoenix campus has created a number of slots in the surrounding hospitals for 3rd and 4th years to eventually rotate through. Because they have not actually expanded their class, this will allow 3rd and 4th years that attend the Tucson campus to do all of their rotations in Phoenix if they so choose (according to Student Affairs in Tucson). I believe they said that this also pertains to the next incoming class as well (2016) but I cannot confirm that quite yet. So for those that would like to spend 1st and 2nd years in Tucson and 3rd and 4th (when you're not on away rotations) years in Phoenix, this may still be an option.

My MSAR book says that for 2008-2009, 156 IS matriculated, and only ONE OS. That's nuts. How can anyone say that they think the University of Arizona is accepting of OOS? I have close ties to the state, but I'm not going to waste my time if 206 OS applied and only one got it.

The class that matriculates this year, and I believe last year's as well, had 25% OOS students. Next year they are upping the OOS to up to 50%. So while the odds for in state may still be better, there are definitely more OOS students then there were even a few years ago.

The class that matriculates this year, and I believe last year's as well, had 25% OOS students. Next year they are upping the OOS to up to 50%. So while the odds for in state may still be better, there are definitely more OOS students then there were even a few years ago.

Really up to 50% I haven't heard anything about that?

The AZ Board of Regents just approved it. It's in the UA-Phx thread as well as on the Phoenix website. It applies to total seats though between the two campuses, so even though it's not explicitly mentioned on the Tucson site it has been approved.

It's not a guarantee that 50% OOS will be admitted, but likely somewhere between 25-50%, of the total seats between Tucson/Phoenix.

My MSAR book says that for 2008-2009, 156 IS matriculated, and only ONE OS. That's nuts. How can anyone say that they think the University of Arizona is accepting of OOS? I have close ties to the state, but I'm not going to waste my time if 206 OS applied and only one got it.

The problem is your MSAR has outdated information. The first year all OOS students were considered was for this past first year class (2010-2011). In that class Phoenix had just over 25% OOS (I believe), and us down in Tucson had some what less than 20% (but still way more than just 1 total).

Even with the acceptance of OOS applicants, the chances for qualified IS applicants is probably as high as ever. The schools certainly want to take qualified IS applicants first. I think the main reason for allowing more OOS acceptances is just to make sure that they maintain the highest possible standards, because AZ only has a few hundred applicants and they can't realistically accept everyone who applies (although that would make the application process WAY less stressful).

Is Phoenix's goal to get to 120-ish seats like Tucson?

The OOS increases have gone with the increased number of total seats such that the number of seats given to IS hasn't really changed much. When I first heard about the increase I wasn't particularly happy about it but in reality it doesn't change the IS acceptances by very much (even assuming they maximize OOS).

I saw a statistic somewhere, from a few years back, that about 600 or 650 IS students applied. Is this accurate? Is there any newer data about the number of IS applicants?

any news from Tucson or Phx yet?

Well I got a letter from PHX saying thanks for applying and theyll be screening soon I applied to both tuscon and phx...I was wondering if anybody knows how they deal with military experience...I served as a combat medic in the IDF for 2 yrs...im OOS with a 32Q MCAT (10/11/11) and a 3.42 sGPA im hoping the immense amount of clinical hrs from my military service will make up for the slightly lower gpa even tho im out of state

Well I got a letter from PHX saying thanks for applying and theyll be screening soon I applied to both tuscon and phx...I was wondering if anybody knows how they deal with military experience...I served as a combat medic in the IDF for 2 yrs...im OOS with a 32Q MCAT (10/11/11) and a 3.42 sGPA im hoping the immense amount of clinical hrs from my military service will make up for the slightly lower gpa even tho im out of state

That's an incredible "EC", if you even want to call it that (the term isn't strong enough to describe that experience). I'd say that your MCAT plus your experience more than makes up for your GPA. :luck: to you and thank you for your service.

Thanks Steve good to know some people appreciate the service :) Im just hoping that the admissions staff at UofA is mainly Jewish lol thatd really help me!

Thanks Steve good to know some people appreciate the service :) Im just hoping that the admissions staff at UofA is mainly Jewish lol thatd really help me!

I more than appreciate it- thanks again! Jewish people in Arizona? :laugh:. Anyways, a combat medic is one of the most intriguing things I have seen on this forum. Who wouldn't want to talk to one in an interview? I mean, c'mon.

lol I know some Jews in Scottsdale (and from my understanding most of Scottsdale is jewish) I filled out my secondary for UC Davis (glad to know my numbers got me a secondary there!) and they made me calculate my "hours of committment" I put down 16800 hrs of which I think 14000 is me in a batallion clinic or in a humvee ambulance hybrid or just a regular ambulance 24 hrs a day 7 days a week...1 day off per a month a week off every 4 months (if ur lucky) fun days :)

lol I know some Jews in Scottsdale (and from my understanding most of Scottsdale is jewish) I filled out my secondary for UC Davis (glad to know my numbers got me a secondary there!) and they made me calculate my "hours of committment" I put down 16800 hrs of which I think 14000 is me in a batallion clinic or in a humvee ambulance hybrid or just a regular ambulance 24 hrs a day 7 days a week...1 day off per a month a week off every 4 months (if ur lucky) fun days :)

:laugh:. Jewish or not Jewish, that is some amazing stuff to talk about in an interview. I can't even say I'm jealous because I know that it was obviously really hard. You're golden!

Im just hoping that the admissions staff at UofA is mainly Jewish lol thatd really help me!

Haha, they aren't. This medical school though, so you'll be sure to have some Jewish people in your class at almost any med school.

from my understanding most of Scottsdale is jewish

:confused: I don't have the statistics, but I'm pretty sure the number of people in Scottdale identifying as Jewish doesn't exceed 10%.

If you're looking at Tucson though, I can tell you the Jewish Community Center down here is pretty cool. My wife works there, and I workout there. It's a few miles from campus though.

Hopefully not being jewish, I can still get in ;)

Anyone have an idea when the apps are coming out....And if you meet the Automatic Instate Interview requirements do you still get a secondary?

Hopefully not being jewish, I can still get in ;)

Anyone have an idea when the apps are coming out....And if you meet the Automatic Instate Interview requirements do you still get a secondary?

I'm pretty sure everyone gets a secondary. As annoying as they are, the secondary is just one more opportunity for you to set yourself apart in the eyes of the admissions committee. Don't think of it so much as a pain in the ass, but instead as a wonderful chance to display how truly unique and special you are! :rolleyes:

I just realized this entire year, every time I get an email from the book tore its say's the email is from: The University of Arizon...
And the subject is something like this: Awesome news from U of A

I can already tell this is going to be a long year

You can still access it. Just login I already saw all the questions theres more than last year

Whoop whoop! Here we go again. :xf:

Although I feel less excited about getting a "screened" secondary since basically any AZ resident with a pulse gets a UA secondary.

Haha supposively Instaters with a pulse get an interview, but still I really want to stay in zona

I'm pretty sure everyone gets a secondary. As annoying as they are, the secondary is just one more opportunity for you to set yourself apart in the eyes of the admissions committee. Don't think of it so much as a pain in the ass, but instead as a wonderful chance to display how truly unique and special you are! :rolleyes:

Depends on whether you're in-state or out. Results for Tucson's 2011 season have been published here; if you're in-state you have a 90% chance of getting a secondary and an 88% chance of interviewing from the secondary. If you're out of state those numbers drop to 1:2 and 1:4, respectively. I would imagine though that the numbers will improve for those out-of-state and decrease for those in-state with the new requirements on out-of-state acceptances.

OOS but received a secondary. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky few to interview there.

:(

I'm guessing that since I received no email that I was screened out (OOS). Great.

Got the secondary. Didn't try to login yet, it's just going to go in the queue.

Sorry to sound neurotic, but if we haven't received an email yet we are rejected?

It's still early. Don't panic yet.

Have you looked at last year's thread? Did secondaries come out in waves?

Status
Not open for further replies.