2011-2012 University of California - Los Angeles Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
planning on calling tomorrow to get some sort of clarity...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't all other UCs already notified if people are accepted, wait listed, or rejected? Whats the deal with UCLA?

They don't reject people outright. Everyone is placed on a "waitlist" after being interviewed. Your rejection is not being accepted after classes have begun.

Shouldn't they notify us that we are on the wait list though?

Nope, having interviewed qualifies you for the waitlist and automatically places you onto it. At least that's what they kept saying during my interview day.

Nope, having interviewed qualifies you for the waitlist and automatically places you onto it. At least that's what they kept saying during my interview day.

Exactly, this is what i heard as well

do you only get a financial aid estimate based on need access and fafsa, or do you actually get a finalized package from the office? thanks!

So then there are 300+ people on the wait list...awesome

do you only get a financial aid estimate based on need access and fafsa, or do you actually get a finalized package from the office? thanks!

If you want an estimate, you should email the financial aid office and request one. They use FAFSA and Need Access data. I don't think a finalized package is available yet, even if you have turned in all the supplemental forms.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shouldn't they notify us that we are on the wait list though?

Waitlist notifications actually did get sent out around May last year... but by then, I think it's pretty much implied. Kind of a waste of paper, I guess... Right now, if it says "decision letter sent", it's a good thing but later on, it's a bad thing.

If you want an estimate, you should email the financial aid office and request one. They use FAFSA and Need Access data. I don't think a finalized package is available yet, even if you have turned in all the supplemental forms.

awesome, thanks for the info! are they able to notify you of any institutional grants/loans in that estimate?

awesome, thanks for the info! are they able to notify you of any institutional grants/loans in that estimate?

Other than the scholarship that comes with being accepted ("tuition" scholarship, I think it's called), they will also tell you about any need-based scholarship amount. Along with those two grants/scholarships, they will estimate institutional loans and federal loans (2 types).

In all, I think they show 5 different categories of aid, depending on what you qualify for. That was my experience, at least.

just spoke with admissions... she said the class is currently full (i take it to mean the 121 acceptances have been sent out) and they are just waiting to hear back from people who choose to go elsewhere and its 'rolling admissions' at this point through may, files are still being reviewed on a constant basis and there is 'no waitlist' at this point.
so sit tight, hold onto your butts. hope for the best :)

just spoke with admissions... she said the class is currently full (i take it to mean the 121 acceptances have been sent out) and they are just waiting to hear back from people who choose to go elsewhere and its 'rolling admissions' at this point through may, files are still being reviewed on a constant basis and there is 'no waitlist' at this point.
so sit tight, hold onto your butts. hope for the best :)

Thanks for calling! That's pretty much what I figured. That makes me and 580 other people very unhappy haha. :xf:

So does that mean that the usual acceptance model "double the number needed to fill the class" will not happen at all? Seems like that means we won't really have much movement til May 15th because a lot of people will hold on til then!

Anyone who has done the housing application know how long before we hear from them?

i'm still very curious as to what actually happened to the second wave...if there was a second wave at all

A lot of schools accept extras upfront, I don't think UCLA does this. My understanding is they only accept people as spots become available. They are likely to still accept about double the number of spots they have, but that's because they had that many people withdraw their application after being accepted.
My guess is that they can't because it's a public institution, so they can never have more people accepted than the class size at any one time.

I am not sure if what I am about to share is still the case, but in the MSAR (2010-2011 Edition) it lists that at UCLA those who are offered a regular acceptance, have 2 week as the maximum response time to either accept or decline. And if they choose to accept, then they have up until May 15 to trim down their acceptances to one school.

If that is still the case, then I would wish that they had a "money deposit" of about $100/$200 or so in order to make sure that only those with a moderate to serious interest in UCLA keep an acceptance spot until May 15.

At times, or more correctly, at this present time, I wish we were like Dental Schools which require about $1000 to hold a spot. That really trims down on interested applicants and time wasters! :)

Last edited:
I guess it makes sense; they do not want to run the risk of overfilling their class. Unfortunately, it means I will be going crazy for the next few months... :(

I guess it makes sense; they do not want to run the risk of overfilling their class. Unfortunately, it means I will be going crazy for the next few months... :(
You and me both.

Have you not been accepted anywhere?

Anyone who has done the housing application know how long before we hear from them?

Maybe after May 15th, when most people have indicated that they are definitely going to UCLA? Or, maybe along with the financial aid packages. Good question...

Does it really matter if it's your top choice?

Of course it matters. For one's own mental health (especially when one says they will "lose their mind in the next few months"), its better to assume one will never, for the rest of their life, ever be accepted at UCLA. Not getting into med school at all is definitely more of a justification for going crazy.

I have been accepted to other places, but UCLA is my top choice... that's why I'm waiting so anxiously.

Also, "going crazy" was not meant literally. I didn't think that would need clarification!

Someone previously mentioned that they had 40 interview days. If there are 24 people per day, that's way more than 700 interviewees, 260 more in fact.

Alright I want to help some people put things in perspective. So we know they have accepted at least 120 students (im personally guessing they accepted a few more than that, and a few turned down offers). We know at the MOST, there will be ~120 more acceptances (thats assuming 120 people out of all 240 acceptances will turn down acceptances). That leaves about 580 people on the waitlist at LEAST (and they may have interviewed much more than 700, which is my guess)

So, if we assume 120 have been accepted, and 580 are waiting, that means there is an 80% chance right now that one will be rejected at DGSOM. I hope that puts things in perspective.

Alright I want to help some people put things in perspective. So we know they have accepted at least 120 students (im personally guessing they accepted a few more than that, and a few turned down offers). We know at the MOST, there will be ~120 more acceptances (thats assuming 120 people out of all 240 acceptances will turn down acceptances). That leaves about 580 people on the waitlist at LEAST (and they may have interviewed much more than 700, which is my guess)

So, if we assume 120 have been accepted, and 580 are waiting, that means there is an 80% chance right now that one will be rejected at DGSOM. I hope that puts things in perspective.

unique_pov_cat.jpg

Someone previously mentioned that they had 40 interview days. If there are 24 people per day, that's way more than 700 interviewees, 260 more in fact.

People cancel last minute, etc. My group had only 5 people.

Is it a good idea to email them and ask where I stand at the moment? I have expiring offers from other schools, with nonrefundable deposits.

Is it a good idea to email them and ask where I stand at the moment? I have expiring offers from other schools, with nonrefundable deposits.

I highly doubt they would tell you anything about your application specifically, since a lot of applicants are likely in the same boat

I highly doubt they would tell you anything about your application specifically, since a lot of applicants are likely in the same boat

You're probably right. I might give it a try though. I want to stay in So Cal and I got into to Western so far. They want two, non-refundable $1000 deposits. First one is due in a few days. Ouch.

I understand that there will be a lot of waitlist movement and acceptances given out around May 15.

But does anyone know if there will still be acceptances given out during June, July and August? Or is it that if you don't get an acceptance by mid-May, your chances at one are greatly diminished.

I'm wondering because trying to figure when to send an update letter.

I personally know someone who got in days before classes started. And from what I've heard, this is not unusual.

Have you ever wondered who causes the mid-summer WL movements that ripple around the country after most waitlists have settled down? It can't be all caused by deferrals and drops. ... it's totally DGSOM!

It feels a little too quiet in here lol

We need some kind of daily distraction until end of April or perhaps until mid May.

#1 Item on the distraction list is the 2012 UCLA Residency Match List. :) They did great! (especially in Derm!)

Internal Medicine: UCLA (7), UCLA-OV (3), Stanford (2), UCSF (1), MGH (2), BWH (1), Columbia (1), Johns Hopkins (1), Cedars-Sinai (1), Kaiser Sunset (1), UCLA-Harbor (2), Mayo (1), U of Chicago (1), UC Davis (2), UC Irvine (2), UCSD (2).

Medicine-Pediatrics: UCLA (3), Michigan (1),

Emergency Medicine: Harbor-UCLA (7), USC (1), UCLA (1), Yale (1), Columbia (1), Kern (1), UC Irvine (1), NYU (1), Stanford (1), Texas Tech (1), Loma Linda (1)

Dermatology: BCM (1), Emory (1), Johns Hopkins (1), Stanford (1), U of Missouri (1), Kaiser LA (1).

Pediatrics: UCSF (2), Stanford (1), Colorado (1), Loma Linda (2), UCLA (3), Washington (1)

Radiology: UCSF (1), UC-Irvine (1), Cedars (1), UCLA (5), Washington (1), VCU (1), Providence MI (1)

Rad-Onc: NY Methodist (1)

Pathology: UCLA (1), Stanford (1)

General Surgery: MGH (1), Abington (1), Guthrie (1), Hawaii (1), Virginia Mason (1), UC Davis (1)

Anesthesia: MGH (1), Harbor (3), Stanford (1), Loma Linda (1), USC (1), Wisconsin (1), Northwestern (1).

PM&R: VA-GLA (2), UC Irvine (1), UNC (1)

Ophthalmology: UCLA (2), Henry Ford (1), Minnesota (1), OHSU (1), Vanderbilt (1)

Urology: UCLA (2), Emory (1), USC (1), UC Davis (1)

Neurology: UCLA (1), Boston Children's (child neuro) (1)

Neurosurgery: UCSF (1), St. Joseph (1)

Family Medicine: UC Davis (1), UCSD (1), Kaiser LA (2), Valley MedCtr WA (1), Sweedish, Ventura Cty (1), Northridge (1), Sutter Health (1), Kaiser Fontana (1), Kaiser OC (3), UCLA (1), UCLA-Harbor (1), Loma Linda (1), Arrowhead (1)

Orthopedic surgery: UCLA (1), UCLA-Harbor (1), MGH (1), Wake Forest (1)

Psychiatry: UCLA (3), UCSF (1), VA LA (2), UC Irvine (2), San Mateo (1)

OB-GYN: Harbor (2), SVMC (2), UCI (2), Loma Linda (1), UTSW (1), Yale (1)
ENT: Vanderbilt (1), Emory (1), UCSF (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.