2011-2012 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviewed on that date and was accepted a few weeks ago.
when exactly were you accepted? and are you IS?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking of adding a couple schools. Anyone know if it makes sense to apply to Colorado or are interviews wrapping up here soon?

nobody else freaking out that we should hear back in a few hours maybe???

oh i'm right there with you. There's also a decent chance we've guessed wrong and today is not an acceptance day too, so idk, I'm just trying to not go crazy.

oh i'm right there with you. There's also a decent chance we've guessed wrong and today is not an acceptance day too, so idk, I'm just trying to not go crazy.

it better be. i've been staring at my phone for at least an hour now

they called around 1030 denver time. when is that east coast time? which two hours does it lag? Are we ahead or are they?

they called around 1030 denver time. when is that east coast time? which two hours does it lag? Are we ahead or are they?

Tap:

Sit down, take a deep breath, and try to relax! :D

10:30 Mountain Time would be 12:30 on the east coast.

Members don't see this ad :)
so, is it time to panic yet? should I go home and down half a handle of jack?

Doubt anything happens until next week (4 wks from interview date where Dr. Winn announced next acceptances would be in 3-4 wks)

to add to all the tension and paranoid replies, i interviewed this weekend, absolutely loved it, when should i start acting paranoid and stare at the phone all day??:p
really want to attend this school!!!

I'm thinking of adding a couple schools. Anyone know if it makes sense to apply to Colorado or are interviews wrapping up here soon?

lol guess not...their deadline already passed. Good luck everyone!

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. CU seems to be a bit unpredictable. Two years ago, one of my close friends interviewed in October and wasn't notified of his acceptance until MARCH. By then he had already begun making arrangements to attend another school. And no, he was not waitlisted before being notified of his acceptance. In fact, we were told this could happen during our interviews. Something to do with their extensive re-review process (if they don't fall in love with you right away)...

That said, CU is great and I hope that doesn't happen to any of you!:xf:

Last edited:
start to panic immediately

Don't, seriously. That wasn't meant to freak anyone out...just to inform you of how unpredictable this whole process can be...not just at CU, but at MANY med schools. Hang in there, your time will come.:) And when it does, it will be the best day of your life!

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. CU seems to be a bit unpredictable. Two years ago, one of my close friends interviewed in October and wasn't notified of his acceptance until MARCH. By then he had already begun making arrangements to attend another school. And no, he was not waitlisted before being notified of his acceptance. In fact, we were told this could happen during our interviews. Something to do with their extensive re-review process (if they don't fall in love with you right away)...

That said, CU is great and I hope that doesn't happen to any of you!:xf:

This is really sad and disheartening I think because even if CU is your first choice, and your interview goes great, but if you get into another med school among your top choices before CU, you would inevitably begin making arrangements to attend there by the time CU gets back to you FIVE months later in March, telling you you're in. By then, your interest in cu probably has waned due to their inexplicably dragged on admissions process and you're probably excited about setting up housing and mentally preparing to attend another school you were accepted at much earlier. I think cu loses some great candidates in this way. Also, accepting less than 15 candidates per month with a majority in march hardly qualifies as rolling to me.

Last edited:
Those who interviewed on Saturday, do you remember when Dimple said the first acceptances will go out for us?

This is really sad and disheartening I think because even if CU is your first choice, and your interview goes great, but if you get into another med school among your top choices before CU, you would inevitably begin making arrangements to attend there by the time CU gets back to you FIVE months later in March, telling you you're in. By then, your interest in cu probably has waned due to their inexplicably dragged on admissions process and you're probably excited about setting up housing and mentally preparing to attend another school you were accepted at much earlier. I think cu loses some great candidates in this way. Also, accepting less than 15 candidates per month with a majority in march hardly qualifies as rolling to me.

Agreed!

Yup, their process is definitely less than ideal.

Just invited to interview! very excited. I'm in-state and naturally already in love with CU's Medical School.

Any news about acceptances? I'm going neurotic!!

I would say I'm "getting" neurotic as well, but I'm pretty sure I started that way. REALLY want to hear something about acceptances! LOVED CU!

I would say I'm "getting" neurotic as well, but I'm pretty sure I started that way. REALLY want to hear something about acceptances! LOVED CU!

+1

It was awesome!

I'm OOS, and applied knowing it was a loooong shot.

Have they sent out rejections, or do they silently reject or wait until March?

Anybody know? I loveeeee Colorado, so I wanna be hopeful but I'm a realist.

They don't send rejections/waitlists until March

In past years, Colorado had a dean that felt 500 hours of patient care experience was preferable. They have a new dean now, and I haven't heard that the "policy" had changed, but only that there was no longer a statement of preference.

(posted 9 hours ago here)

Not that I mean to create any additional Colorado neuroticism, but does anybody know if this unwritten policy is still in effect? Does everybody here have enough patient care experience to get into Colorado?

Not that I mean to create any additional Colorado neuroticism, but does anybody know if this unwritten policy is still in effect? Does everybody here have enough patient care experience to get into Colorado?

I don't think it's an official policy anymore (i.e., I have not heard Ms. Patel mention it -- the last time I heard anyone mention it was Willa about 2 years ago) but I wouldn't be surprised if it's still sort of a part of the culture. They do strongly encourage non-trad applicants and it's relatively uncommon (compared with most schools) for someone to get in directly from college and/or during their first app cycle. A very high number of their matriculants have worked in a clinical setting, which amounts to easily amassing 1000s of hours of experience. (I think I have around 5,000 hours so far... but that's just a rough estimate based on the number of years I have worked as a healthcare worker, not including volunteer hours. They add up FAST when you're working because you're not paying any attention to the number of hours of experience you have.)

Interesting that you mention the number of hours because I mentioned patient care hours on my AMCAS application, and I was asked about them by my second interviewer at CU. It was the only place where I was explicitly asked about hours. Of course, that could mean absolutely nothing, but man do I love me some conjecture.

So I saw in a previous post that UC doesn't care weather OOS people have ties to the area or not but I'm wondering if anyone knows about Montana/Wyoming students. While we're considered instate I imagine we aren't given as high of preference as say an actual IS student. My dad just got a permanent job down there so technically I could be a resident in a year if need be. Kind of odd question just thought someone might have some input.

I'll probably end up calling the school to see if I should send an "update" letter with this information hoping to get me an interview.

I'll probably end up calling the school to see if I should send an "update" letter with this information hoping to get me an interview.

They don't accept updates and are very adamant about not sending them updates of any kind.

They don't accept updates and are very adamant about not sending them updates of any kind.

Yeah unfortunately they don't accept updates I wanted to send one in and checked to be sure and they don't

I'm wondering if anyone knows about Montana/Wyoming students. While we're considered instate I imagine we aren't given as high of preference as say an actual IS student.

I'm pretty sure they consider WICHE students as in-state.

Per Dr. Winn, updates are okay POST-interview, although they will NOT be added to your file. (What impact they have, then, is probably questionable, but I do recall him saying that on my interview day.)

Also, in another thread, someone called the admissions office and confirmed that the Sondheimer Rule is still in effect at CU (i.e., 500+ hrs of clinical experience is still expected/strongly suggested of all applicants).

Per Dr. Winn, updates are okay POST-interview, although they will NOT be added to your file. (What impact they have, then, is probably questionable, but I do recall him saying that on my interview day.)

Also, in another thread, someone called the admissions office and confirmed that the Sondheimer Rule is still in effect at CU (i.e., 500+ hrs of clinical experience is still expected/strongly suggested of all applicants).
Thanks...I have only 100 hours of clinical experience but was invited to interview. I'm going to assume now that they are going to ask me about this.

500 hours stated explicitly somewhere in the app? I worked as a care manager at a major hospital for 3.5 years, hopefully they let that count.

II!!!, IS, Complete at CU on 8/8

Interview for 12/19, but that's during Finals week for me, so I requested a new date.

II!!!, IS, Complete at CU on 8/8

Interview for 12/19, but that's during Finals week for me, so I requested a new date.

Congrats on the II! However, know that you could be pushed back a month or two by requesting a new date. I called about rescheduling and my November interview would have been moved back to mid January. Just something to keep in mind.

Congrats on the II! Now, for those of us that have interviewed (I interviewed 10/24), would the II's be indicative of some ADCOM movement??

Status
Not open for further replies.