2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these snail mail rejections pre or post interview???

Members don't see this ad.

yes, these are pre interview rejections. When you log onto your status page and see "a final decision has been made on your application" and you haven't had an interview, that means a rejection is en route.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, these are pre interview rejections. When you log onto your status page and see "a final decision has been made on your application" and you haven't had an interview, that means a rejection is en route.

Well, in that case, I should be glad that my status has never changed from "Application is in Process." At least I'm not rejected! Haha

Well, in that case, I should be glad that my status has never changed from "Application is in Process." At least I'm not rejected! Haha
Yea I have been APPLICANT IN PROCESS SINCE AUGUST WITH NO CHANGES! I think I'm gonna call on Thursday.

Interviewing here tomorrow. Good luck to everyone! I'll be the one with the dark purple tie =)

So, I called the admissions office today (for an unrelated issue) and got the feeling that they haven't yet mailed the all of the acceptance packets for the 10/28 decisions... so don't be disheartened if you don't find one in your mailbox today!

Application confirmed and received on 07/07/2011
and today it just turned from APPLICATION IN PROCESS to APPLICANT IN PROCESS.

I've been complete since August 23 and I finally switched over to "applicant in process" today! I guess it pays to talk to the admissions counselor :)

How generous is U of I with scholarship money? I received an interview invite two weeks ago and would be thrilled to attend were it not for this giant exclamation point called cost. $400,000 for out-of-state tuition?! Seriously? That's insane.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah not really any scholarships... its going to be all loans
Apparently Uic isn't too out of state friendly.

yeah not really any scholarships... its going to be all loans
Apparently Uic isn't too out of state friendly.

Has nothing to do with OOS friendly and everything to do with how broke the state is. We in-state students don't get any scholarships or aid either (although obviously not at the same cost).

UIC is pretty OOS friendly in the sense that (compared to many other state schools) they take a good number of OOS students, especially from California. But don't expect any scholarships no matter where you're coming from.

Accepted!!! Got the big envelope in the mail today. Good luck to all those still waiting!

alright! congrats, if you got accepted, could you please also say when you interviewed and at what campus?

Sure thing! Interviewed at the Chicago campus on October 12th.

Sure thing! Interviewed at the Chicago campus on October 12th.

Congratulations!! Were you in the morning or afternoon group? Did you also get "additional correspondences" tab on your status page?

Thanks! I was in the afternoon group, and yes, I had the "Additional Correspondence" tab listed on my status page. No CBC email though. I'm actually not quite sure what that even is.

hmm, so you found out in basically 3 weeks....anyone know if UIC sends out acceptances pretty much all the time or if they're more like VCU which sends out accceptances Oct, Dec, and March only (or some other schools, they're more like 1 or 2 times a month)?

Accepted!!! Got the big envelope in the mail today. Good luck to all those still waiting!

congrats! waiting for the mail is driving me crazy! its been over a week! (I am in california though) though only thing harder then the wait is knowing ill have to get 4+1 mega number in the lottery to be able to afford to go to this great school :(

oh praise jesus, the mail is starting to arrive! Congratulations tomatosauce (nice handle btw :laugh:)!! :highfive:

I hope I find something big in my mailbox tonight...if i do i'll be SO HAPPY
tumblr_lhg451HHFy1qgnsnbo1_250.gif

aaaand i'll even do everyone a favor and take a screenshot of my uic status page (with details blurred) so you can all see what this "additional correspondence" looks like. I think that the flow chart is incredibly helpful, but clearly it still leaves some minute details to be answered YOY...

good luck to everyone else still waiting for news! :luck::xf::luck::xf::luck:

Interviewing here tomorrow. Good luck to everyone! I'll be the one with the dark purple tie =)

Hey Ormm, when were you complete? or how long were you "applicant in process" before getting an II?

got the big envelope!!!!!!

fyi the letter was dated november 1st (which means they sent it after friday) and my parents' house is about 5 miles from UIC - so ppl further don't freak out if it takes until next week.

also, I was wondering if you guys with more interviews to come but with acceptances somewhere can help me out. I'm a little confused about the letter of intent and reserving a spot - I still have a few more interviews so do I accept my spot now just to reserve it? It said something about being able to withdraw that if I get accepted elsewhere... so do I send that form and a deposit anyway?

ALSO - GOODLUCK EVERYONE!!

hmm, so you found out in basically 3 weeks....anyone know if UIC sends out acceptances pretty much all the time or if they're more like VCU which sends out accceptances Oct, Dec, and March only (or some other schools, they're more like 1 or 2 times a month)?

Unless they've changed, UIC sends out acceptances once a month.

got the big envelope!!!!!!

fyi the letter was dated november 1st (which means they sent it after friday) and my parents' house is about 5 miles from UIC - so ppl further don't freak out if it takes until next week.

also, I was wondering if you guys with more interviews to come but with acceptances somewhere can help me out. I'm a little confused about the letter of intent and reserving a spot - I still have a few more interviews so do I accept my spot now just to reserve it? It said something about being able to withdraw that if I get accepted elsewhere... so do I send that form and a deposit anyway?

ALSO - GOODLUCK EVERYONE!!

CONGRATULATIONS CHICITIE!!! (also another awesome handle btw, kanye would be proud haha) :claps::claps::claps:
Basically, yes. Accept your spot and reserve it with a deposit. With regards to multiple acceptances, you can send deposits and hold spots at as many schools as you want until May 15th. Your deposit is usually refundable up until that date (with the exception of schools that start early like Case Western) and just serves as "insurance" that you are considering attending their school. By May 15th, you have to let go of all but one acceptance (though you may still sit on as many waitlists as you like). Schools can contact each other at any point in this process and usually do. They're civilized like this :)

Choosing your medical school is obviously an important decision, so take your time to make a vetted one. However, it's considered poor form to reserve seats in schools you have absolutely no interest in attending. So don't hold like 10 acceptances up until May 14th haha :rolleyes:

Ahhhh, 5pm can't roll around fast enough for me! I want to get home and check that mailbox now. :) :luck::xf: Congratulations again and hopefully I'll be celebrating with you in about 2 hours! :D

Last edited:
Congrats to all those receiving acceptances :)

Yea I have been APPLICANT IN PROCESS SINCE AUGUST WITH NO CHANGES! I think I'm gonna call on Thursday.

I called several weeks ago on accident...I meant to call IU. I got the letters mixed up.

Anyways, the lady on the phone was extremely nice. I just noticed my status went from application in process to applicant in process. I hope this is a good sign.

Just got back to my apt and BIG envelope was waiting for me!! Super excited and congrats to everyone!:D

CONGRATULATIONS CHICITIE!!! (also another awesome handle btw, kanye would be proud haha) :claps::claps::claps:
Basically, yes. Accept your spot and reserve it with a deposit. With regards to multiple acceptances, you can send deposits and hold spots at as many schools as you want until May 15th. Your deposit is usually refundable up until that date (with the exception of schools that start early like Case Western) and just serves as "insurance" that you are considering attending their school. By May 15th, you have to let go of all but one acceptance (though you may still sit on as many waitlists as you like). Schools can contact each other at any point in this process and usually do. They're civilized like this :)

Choosing your medical school is obviously an important decision, so take your time to make a vetted one. However, it's considered poor form to reserve seats in schools you have absolutely no interest in attending. So don't hold like 10 acceptances up until May 14th haha :rolleyes:

Ahhhh, 5pm can't roll around fast enough for me! I want to get home and check that mailbox now. :) :luck::xf: Congratulations again and hopefully I'll be celebrating with you in about 2 hours! :D

kanye would be proud if he could be proud of anyone but himself :laugh:

thanks so much for that detailed answer!! I was defininitely very confused before you cleared that up for me.

and I definintely think you will be celebrating your UIC COM acceptance like all the cool kids do soon too...on SDN!

Congrats everybody on acceptances.

Cheers to the weekend, off to Lincoln Park tonight to DO it right!

Last edited:
Just got the big envelope too!!! Do you guys think we'll have trouble getting Chicago appointments at this point (that is, those of you that want to be in Chicago)?

Congrats to all those accepted!!! It seems like most everyone who was accepted interviewed in October. I was curious of everyone who got II how long it took to go from "applicant in process" to getting an invite.....

Just got the big envelope too!!! Do you guys think we'll have trouble getting Chicago appointments at this point (that is, those of you that want to be in Chicago)?

Accepted! I currently live in Chicago, it will be extremely easy to find an apartment...I've lived here two years and both times I signed a lease, I did so a week or two before moving in. It will be a bit more competitive to get better apartments by UIC, but you have plenty of time...

Big Envelope today in the mail:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anyone know when we find out which campus we get? Also, if there any way i could gain an understanding of illinois residency/ instate tuition. I am out of state. Marry a resident? live there and work for a year without school? or have residency by the time you matriculate no switching? anyone know? thanks in advance. Great great school. Especially big congrats to all the Illinois people. This must be an amazing moment for you.

Accepted today!

Completed application 08/30/11. Interview invite 09/15/11. Interviewed at Rockford campus 10/05/11. Also an Illinois alum, IS, and high stats.

I don't think we currently have to worry about site preferences since we were the first acceptance group.

On the 'Technical Standards' form: "...do you have sufficient dexterity to be able to perform basic medical procedures such as venipuncture (inserting a needle into a vein), or suturing (sewing torn or cut tissues together with a needle and sutures)?"

Finally gonna become the real deal, congrats folks! :cool:

who wants to put up the mandatory class of 2016 UIC facebook group page?;)

Considering this is most likely UIC's first (or second at most) round of acceptance letters, I'd wager a no :D

This is still real, real early in the game. Congrats to everyone who got accepted.

To those accepted, you should receive a card asking for which placement sites you prefer (either in the acceptance letter packet, or it'll come shortly after, I can't remember). Fill it out and return it, and within a couple weeks you'll know which site you were placed at.

ACCEPTED, WOO.

Is the kid I talked to at the Oct 4th interview who wrote a screenplay for a movie called The Farm on this board? Did you get accepted? You were cool.

Considering this is most likely UIC's first (or second at most) round of acceptance letters, I'd wager a no :D

This is still real, real early in the game. Congrats to everyone who got accepted.

To those accepted, you should receive a card asking for which placement sites you prefer (either in the acceptance letter packet, or it'll come shortly after, I can't remember). Fill it out and return it, and within a couple weeks you'll know which site you were placed at.

For those worried, I received my acceptance in late April of last year (last round of acceptances before May 15 deadline), was assigned to Peoria, and successfully petitioned to be reassigned to Chicago. So it's not a huge issue.

To add onto Visionary's comment, I knew people accepted in March/April who got directly into the Chicago campus. So site placement is not all about when you were accepted. And like he said, there's always petitioning if you don't get the site you want (but obviously you have to be smart about your petition, not just "I LIKEZ CHIKAGO!")

But it's way, way too early to be worrying about Chicago filling up or not having an interview yet. Chicago's process runs from October through April.

It's a marathon, not a sprint :D Stay rested and drink plenty of Gatorade.

Financial aid heads up:

this is the scholarship that has payed for my 5 five siblings' and my own education at UIUC undergrad and will pay for part of UIC med if I go here...not sure if it's feasible for out of states but i know most IS kids don't know about it...potentially worth whatever tuition and fees is...ie like 240K :) http://www.osfa.uiuc.edu/aid/scholarships/waivers_COV.html of course, the caveat is one of your parents had to have been involved in "World War II, the Korean Conflict, the Vietnam Conflict, the Southwest Asia Conflict, Operation Enduring Freedom, and Operation Iraqi Freedom."

For those worried, I received my acceptance in late April of last year (last round of acceptances before May 15 deadline), was assigned to Peoria, and successfully petitioned to be reassigned to Chicago. So it's not a huge issue.

what was your reason for petitioning? It seems like the only people that have been successful at doing that were people that had dying relatives in Chicago or something like that.

So it has been 11 weeks since I was marked complete and I'm still "Application Is In Process".

Anyone else complete mid-late august and still no update?

Does anyone remember any questions that were asked at the interview as well as process on the interview day(# of interviews/from who)? My interview is on Thursday in Peoria so if anyone had there interview there, it would be more helpful but any information on any campus helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.