2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Status still says decision pending..oh well it looks like another week of waiting.....:scared::scared::scared:

Still decision pending here too! At least we can be pretty sure they'll be meeting next week.

Best of luck guys, hope we all have happy posts this time next week!

Members don't see this ad.

Received an interview invite yesterday. I was ecstatic until I saw cost of attendance for OOS. Does anyone know how generous a financial aid package they offer to OOS students? I'm afraid I won't be able to attend if they only offer student loans.

Received an interview invite yesterday. I was ecstatic until I saw cost of attendance for OOS. Does anyone know how generous a financial aid package they offer to OOS students? I'm afraid I won't be able to attend if they only offer student loans.

they don't really have scholarships.....not too much love for OOS students :( What are your stats and when were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, interviewed today and was told that they will start giving decisions for my group and the groups before ours at the end of this month/early november.

to those who said earlier that the interviews here were laid back - def true...really friendly staff/faculty/students/interviewers at the chicago campus! btw - my interviewers only had access to my personal statement and secondary essay questions, no stats whatsoever.

gluck to everyone waiting on interview intvites/interviews/acceptance letters!

Same. I've called twice, too, and both times they just say my app is in line to be reviewed. But I'm IS, and I've been complete since mid July.... So I don't know what's with the wait??

University of Illinois is a desirable school system and thus gets many applications. They started later than most schools, so it is naturally going to take longer. I know it sucks, I just changed to applicant in process a few days ago, and I have been complete since early/mid August. I feel like I have been neglected as far as Chicago schools are concerned. Most of my interviews are on the east coast which is very strange to me. Based on past applicants from my undergraduate university, I am very competitive for the Chicago schools to which I applied. I am assuming that I will hear from them eventually, and I am trying to remain calm.I sympathize with your situation, but I feel we will hear something soon. Just stay positive. :luck:

FINALLY switched to "applicant in process" after being complete since mid July...it's about time!

FINALLY switched to "applicant in process" after being complete since mid July...it's about time!

good luck chitown22:thumbup:! i got an interview invite about 3 days after my status changed to "applicant in process"

Last edited:
Hey Everyone!

To those of you who have interviewed...does UIC have a student host option for applicants interviewing?

Thanks!

I swear the day my status finally changes from "Applicant in Process" I will fall off my freak'n chair! come on U of I show some OOS love!

I'm seriously jealous. I've been complete since mid July as well, and have yet to switch to "applicant in process." Did you call or anything, or did it just switch. We have identical stats....I am crossing my fingers mine changes soon.

Thursday is approaching....:scared::scared::scared:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thursday is approaching....:scared::scared::scared:
when are they supposed to let us know? If it's thursday I'll be in the city and might just stop by there to try and get notification before anyone can out-neurotic me

Current UIC student checking in. Nice to see they still haven't fixed the sadistic admissions application.

FYI, I interviewed in mid-September and didn't get a decision until late April. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously, though, good luck with the process. I can answer any Q's you guys have about the Chicago campus.

Hey guys,

I spent 2 months as application in process. I switched to applicant in process last week, and I just got an interview invite today! :love:

Stay positive; I know the wait is hard, but they are approaching this systematically. I do not think calling will do much unless you happen to catch them sometime between making a decision and updating your status. I guess the only thing you can get is slightly earlier notification of a status change if you catch them at the right time, and the admissions office is probably overwhelmed right now.
I happened to check my status before they sent the email, so I found out a little early. I guess my neurotic proclivities paid off for once lol.

Hang in there! You will hear back soon! Best of Luck!:luck:

Thanks man, I was wondering when I could expect the news. Do you have a preference on which campus to attend and why?

What exactly happens if you don't hear anything after this Thursday? I interviewed earlier this month and they told us we would hear something at the end of the month/beginning of next month....Waiting until late April sounds pretty miserable to me.

You get a friendly e-mail stating that no decision has been reached on your application, but look forward to future communications, etc, etc, etc.

Miserable is a kind word for what the experience was like.

I'm seriously jealous. I've been complete since mid July as well, and have yet to switch to "applicant in process." Did you call or anything, or did it just switch. We have identical stats....I am crossing my fingers mine changes soon.

I'm in the same boat. I was complete July 12th. IS, 4.0 GPA and 32R ... not sure what's going on in Chicago.

I called last week and the receptionist told me that a review usually takes 6-8 weeks (we're at...about 14). She said to call back on Thursday when she can forward my call to the reviewers and ask them what's up with my application. From what I heard from the receptionist, they only review applicantions for interviews on Thursdays so that is the day she told me to call. I'm not sure how much of this is actually true.

woo

applicant in process. Don't know when it switched from application in process to applicant, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Hey eistein,

I turned my secondary later than you and I'm already "applicant in process". That is taking quite long for you. I called them to check about the status of my letter of recs and then somebody verified everything while on the phone. The next day, my application status changed to "applicant in process". I'd call to check

Thanks man, I was wondering when I could expect the news. Do you have a preference on which campus to attend and why?

I am pretty sure this quote is directed toward me, but I am not positive if you are responding to the people that already have interviewed. I really want to end up at the Chicago campus. I grew up 45 minutes away from the Chicago campus, and all of my family is there. I wouldn't mind the other campuses, but I am paying for all of my education through the Army, so I will have an 8 year active duty obligation following residency. Assuming I spend 4 years in residency, I will not be able to return to Chicago for 12 years! I thought about how many things I am going to miss, and I would love to spend a few years closer to everyone before I head off for the next decade. I also want to utilize the research facilities, but that is slightly less emphasized.

Hey eistein,

I turned my secondary later than you and I'm already "applicant in process". That is taking quite long for you. I called them to check about the status of my letter of recs and then somebody verified everything while on the phone. The next day, my application status changed to "applicant in process". I'd call to check

When did you turn in your application and what are your stats? Are you in-state?

No I didn't call or anything, it just switched. I'm not sure why it is taking so long for either of us. Hopefully yours will change soon!

I'm IS with 30R MCAT, 3.6 cGPA/sGPA. I've been complete since July 12. I have called them twice and both times they just tell me that my app is in line to get reviewed. I know my stats aren't great, but it's my state school and I'd at least like them to look at my app!! This is definitely frustrating.

I'm IS with 30R MCAT, 3.6 cGPA/sGPA. I've been complete since July 12. I have called them twice and both times they just tell me that my app is in line to get reviewed. I know my stats aren't great, but it's my state school and I'd at least like them to look at my app!! This is definitely frustrating.

that is a pretty long wait since being complete july 12th. hope you hear something well in the coming days! :)

I am pretty sure this quote is directed toward me, but I am not positive if you are responding to the people that already have interviewed. I really want to end up at the Chicago campus. I grew up 45 minutes away from the Chicago campus, and all of my family is there. I wouldn't mind the other campuses, but I am paying for all of my education through the Army, so I will have an 8 year active duty obligation following residency. Assuming I spend 4 years in residency, I will not be able to return to Chicago for 12 years! I thought about how many things I am going to miss, and I would love to spend a few years closer to everyone before I head off for the next decade. I also want to utilize the research facilities, but that is slightly less emphasized.

Forgive my ignorance of how to use this site. I am also considering going into the army to pay for school. What are the requirements for getting into the army program?

Forgive my ignorance of how to use this site. I am also considering going into the army to pay for school. What are the requirements for getting into the army program?

you have to contact a recruiter. I was seriously considering this for awhile, so I'll give you the breakdown. They pay for all your tuition, books, fees, and give you a 2000 a month stipend, plus a 20,000 dollar signing bonus. You have to do 45 days of active duty a month, which you usually do in the summer. It's a pretty sweet deal while you are in medical school, but once you graduate, it's a whole different story. You are assigned a residency where they want you to go, and it is very likely that it might not be what you want to do. I've talked to a number of people who took this scholarship, and when it came to residency, they were well qualified to do many different specilties (which is what they wanted to do)-however, the army wanted family practice doctors, and that is what they had to do. They have residencies mainly in the east, west, and south, but none near Chicago, which was a huge downfall for me. After you graduate, you have to do a number of years (probably 3 or 4 years) for your residency, then after that, you must serve 1 year for each year of scholarship you take, so if you get it for a 4 years, you owe 4 years. You will serve this in many different areas, which will require moving and in addition, you have a very likely chance of being deployed. The recruiter told me the chance is 25%, but people who have taken the scholarship have said the chance is much higher. All in all, if you don't mind moving, possibly being deployed, and don't care if you might not get to do what you want, it's a sweet deal. Apply early though, cause you have a better chance. FYI, they say they only have about 400 applicants a year for about 250 scholarships.

you have to contact a recruiter. I was seriously considering this for awhile, so I'll give you the breakdown. They pay for all your tuition, books, fees, and give you a 2000 a month stipend, plus a 20,000 dollar signing bonus. You have to do 45 days of active duty a month, which you usually do in the summer. It's a pretty sweet deal while you are in medical school, but once you graduate, it's a whole different story. You are assigned a residency where they want you to go, and it is very likely that it might not be what you want to do. I've talked to a number of people who took this scholarship, and when it came to residency, they were well qualified to do many different specilties (which is what they wanted to do)-however, the army wanted family practice doctors, and that is what they had to do. They have residencies mainly in the east, west, and south, but none near Chicago, which was a huge downfall for me. After you graduate, you have to do a number of years (probably 3 or 4 years) for your residency, then after that, you must serve 1 year for each year of scholarship you take, so if you get it for a 4 years, you owe 4 years. You will serve this in many different areas, which will require moving and in addition, you have a very likely chance of being deployed. The recruiter told me the chance is 25%, but people who have taken the scholarship have said the chance is much higher. All in all, if you don't mind moving, possibly being deployed, and don't care if you might not get to do what you want, it's a sweet deal. Apply early though, cause you have a better chance. FYI, they say they only have about 400 applicants a year for about 250 scholarships.

There is some truth in this though I would argue that it us not that different from civilian residency competition. You are being compared relative to your peers, and you are matched on match day just like everyone else. You have to be careful, the army does not have a residency for neurosurgery, so if you try to get a residency in neurosurgery you have to be stellar because they must grant you a civilian residency which is traditionally rare (1-5) per year. For most other things you must be competitive amongst your army peers. I have seen the actual residency breakdown, and believe me there are plenty of options. If you aren't competitive for what you want chances are you will not get it, but this is true of civilian residencies as well. The army is still subject to the match program, so it is not what " they want" that determines what you do.

There is some truth in this though I would argue that it us not that different from civilian residency competition. You are being compared relative to your peers, and you are matched on match day just like everyone else. You have to be careful, the army does not have a residency for neurosurgery, so if you try to get a residency in neurosurgery you have to be stellar because they must grant you a civilian residency which is traditionally rare (1-5) per year. For most other things you must be competitive amongst your army peers. I have seen the actual residency breakdown, and believe me there are plenty of options. If you aren't competitive for what you want chances are you will not get it, but this is true of civilian residencies as well. The army is still subject to the match program, so it is not what " they want" that determines what you do.

I believe there is a whole portion of SDN devoted to military medicine. There are a million stories and anecdotes about different people's experiences, both good and bad, and if you are seriously considering this option (as I am) it's an interesting resource. Look into it! :)

What is the difference between application in process and applicant in process? I have been checking the status page sporadically for the last couple weeks and right now I am applicant in process but now I can't remember how long it's been like that. I didn't even notice the difference.

What is the difference between application in process and applicant in process? I have been checking the status page sporadically for the last couple weeks and right now I am applicant in process but now I can't remember how long it's been like that. I didn't even notice the difference.

Nobody actually knows; answers from the admissions office have been ambiguous. Try not to worry about it!

I think it means that application in process means it's inline to be processed while applicant in process means that your application is going to get viewed by a human being. That's what my impressions are.

that is interesting. I'm OOS and got my status changed almost the next day after calling about letters of rec. what is needed to be reviewed on your file? mine was just letters of rec

I finally got the call!

...from my mom, wishing me luck on my (hopeful) admissions decision today.

I read the first line, immediately prepared to jump out of my seat and run and find my phone to see if I had any missed calls, and then read the second line.....thanks for making me angry at you for posting this rather than stressed out about decision day for a few seconds!

I read the first line, immediately prepared to jump out of my seat and run and find my phone to see if I had any missed calls, and then read the second line.....thanks for making me angry at you for posting this rather than stressed out about decision day for a few seconds!

Why is today decision day? Does the Ad Com meet on Thursdays to decide on the "decision pending" people?

Why is today decision day? Does the Ad Com meet on Thursdays to decide on the "decision pending" people?

Yeah, supposedly they meet on Wednesdays and call people Thursdays. That's what another poster found by looking at past years' threads. It's supposed to be either last Thursday or today, and it wasn't last Thursday, so...

Where are people seeing the designation for "application in progress" vs "applicant in progress?"

Yeah, supposedly they meet on Wednesdays and call people Thursdays. That's what another poster found by looking at past years' threads. It's supposed to be either last Thursday or today, and it wasn't last Thursday, so...

I was told the admissions committee meets on the last thursday of every month to accept/roll students to the following month's meeting/reject

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!:):):)

...to work this morning and instantly checked my e-mail to see if I got into UIC.

No word yet.

You should be, my nerves are too frayed already. :)

I just got an email from UIC asking me to complete a survey about my interview...wtf, UIC, that's just torture.

I just got an email from UIC asking me to complete a survey about my interview...wtf, UIC, that's just torture.

Are you serious? Crazy-tease. Well, HatWobble and I are definitely tempting fate with these mean posts. :idea:

Uh, good luck, everybody!! :oops:

This is beyond frustrating. I just called the admissions office to check why my status hadn't changed since I was complete in July, and all they told me was that my app was complete, and to be patient and to keep checking my status because it was taking them longer to review applications this year because they've received more than normal.

I don't know what else to do at this point. I was expecting better from my state school.

Status
Not open for further replies.