2011-2012 University of Louisville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know when the interviews from UoL come out?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks whatageek! I hope we hear from them soon...Good luck :xf:

:luck: as well!

To the person who asked about interview invites, it looks like they started going out to IS people in the beginning of August last year. But it's not like I stalked last year's thread for this information or anything... :D

Seems like last year the interviews started first or second week of classes last year. They like to be able to provide a student host for each interviewee so you can ask any questions you feel weird asking the official higher up people.

Members don't see this ad :)
:luck: as well!

To the person who asked about interview invites, it looks like they started going out to IS people in the beginning of August last year. But it's not like I stalked last year's thread for this information or anything... :D

what about for OOS ppl? do they do IS first? some schools don't even do OOS until Jan :(

Do I need to give them proof of my AP credit NOW with the supplemental? (I've copied/ pasted the description on the supplemental below. It says we have to upload documentation but I'd assume that's AFTER we get accepted if we do right?

" If you plan to use AP credit for your prerequisite courses, please refer to our AP courses policy. Also, you will need to upload documentation regarding the score received on your AP exam in order for the ULSOM to accept your AP credit (i.e., copy of AP exam score report, college/university registrar verification of score, university/college web site text stating they only give credit for 4 or 5 score and the url to the web site). The link to upload your additional documentation is at the end of Section Six: Violations. The ULSOM will not accept an AP score below a 4 and will not accept AP credit for Biology and Organic Chemistry."

Also, have people mailed their receipt in certified or just regular mail? I just want know how long it takes them to process it?

Does anyone know how long it takes to get supplementals typically? I got verified like a week or two ago and am still waiting. Don't have any reason to believe I wouldn't get one cause I'm like right on their averages stats wise and I'm a KY resident.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get supplementals typically? I got verified like a week or two ago and am still waiting. Don't have any reason to believe I wouldn't get one cause I'm like right on their averages stats wise and I'm a KY resident.

You will get one. Just pre-write the essays and be ready to submit it asap. Don't worry about things out of your control.

this is really frustrating -- i noticed that their app cuts out my apostrophes completely. At first it just converted them to ?'s and now they're just gone. They won't save. WTF.

this is really frustrating -- i noticed that their app cuts out my apostrophes completely. At first it just converted them to ?'s and now they're just gone. They won't save. WTF.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I gave up trying to go back and correct the apostrophe issue. So, if nothing else, know you're not the only one who had issues with it. I saw the same thing reported on last year's thread. I figured that the Adcoms would be willing to overlook an error if it was on everyone's application.

It's killing me...I'm worried because my gpa is slightly lower so I wanted to apply early and broadly....not fun

I have finished 15 secondary's I have 10 I need to do and I'm still waiting on 17....

It's hard to do it while working, but because I'm in a city where I dont know too many people this summer I have lots of time on the weekends

The key is to reuse a lot of those essays...and my dad is the chair of his department(not an institution with a med school) so he reviews them and gives his two sense because he reads lots of resident apps.

It's a good thing someone's editing for you 'cause I wouldn't want you to use a phrase like "two sense" on app. "Two cents" is the idiom you're trying for. (I could be wrong about where it comes from, but I think it might go back to the "Penny for your thoughts!" phrase from many decades ago.) Good luck with all those apps, man.

Can any current students or anyone else say anything about Louisville's OOS acceptance, particularly from Missouri. I don't have any strong ties, but my aunt lived in Louisville for several years and I visited and loved the city. I've also made a lot of good friends at my university who are from Louisville. Is it worth mentioning these things in the secondary?

Can any current students or anyone else say anything about Louisville's OOS acceptance, particularly from Missouri. I don't have any strong ties, but my aunt lived in Louisville for several years and I visited and loved the city. I've also made a lot of good friends at my university who are from Louisville. Is it worth mentioning these things in the secondary?

I'm from MO too and am applying here. However, I haven't even been to Kentucky before...

Interview Invite just now!! I'm THRILLED!

Completed app 6/23 and this is the FIRST update I've gotten from them since then!

I requested to interview on Tuesday (8/30) or Wednesday (8/31). Short notice, eh?! Anyone else going then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats guys! I just got my invite today, too! I requested the Tuesday, August 30th interview! :D

Are you guys in state applicants?

Dr. Gaga and I are in state; not sure about Bucks.

I had this app complete SUPER early so that probably has more to do with it than IS/OOS status.

See ya'll in a couple weeks!

Yeah, I applied super early, too. I think I finished mine the last week of June.

I was complete in mid-July and got an interview invite today. I'm in-state. I'm also very happy.

I just received my confirmation email today. I'm interviewing on August 30th! See everyone there! :D

Congrats to all those with interviews!

Congrats. UofL is awesome. I wish you all the best on your interviews.

500 characters to list all of our research experience and publications?? are you kidding meeeee :thumbdown:

Does anyone know when the interviews from UoL come out?

It looks like they'll start interviewing next Tuesday, August 30, which is a committee meeting day.

The ULSOM Application Timeline can be found here, and I got it from the "Instructions" tab on the secondary application website.

Last edited:
It looks like they'll start interviewing next Tuesday, August 30, which is a committee meeting day.

The ULSOM Application Timeline can be found here, and I got it from the "Instructions" tab on the secondary application website.

It seems they start regular interviews on October 15. That seems to be more in line with most schools. UK starts regulars mixed with early admissions tomorrow. I got lucky and was able to nab a spot.

It seems they start regular interviews on October 15. That seems to be more in line with most schools. UK starts regulars mixed with early admissions tomorrow. I got lucky and was able to nab a spot.

No, regular interviews start tomorrow at UofL. I am not an early decision applicant.

What are they looking for in the "foreign travel" question? I've only traveled abroad once, and it was for leisure as opposed to a mission trip or anything. I don't really have anything to say about it.

I'm out of state and I just received an email stating that my "application to the University of Lousiville School of Medicine has been revieved" and that my application would not be considered further, but I haven't completed a secondary yet. I'm slightly confused, although I think this an error? :confused: I'm a very competitive student so I don't think I'd be pulled out of the running before my secondary was submitted; they haven't sent me an invite yet because I'm still waiting on my MCAT score.

I'll have to wait 'til I receive a secondary invite anyways, so if it never comes, I'll know what's up.

Last edited:
What are they looking for in the "foreign travel" question? I've only traveled abroad once, and it was for leisure as opposed to a mission trip or anything. I don't really have anything to say about it.

I have had both kinds of experiences, and listed both, but didn't elaborate much on the tourism trip. I don't see the harm in putting it down for what it is, it's a true answer to the question.

I know for a fact that one prominent member of the AdCom is an avid traveler so I assumed the question is just something he believes is important to ask anybody. The point of secondaries is for them to get to know you more personally, right?

Who knows -- if you happened to have traveled to the same places as he has, you could have a wonderful conversation on your interview day and make a great impression. Just have fun with it!

I know for a fact that one prominent member of the AdCom is an avid traveler so I assumed the question is just something he believes is important to ask anybody. The point of secondaries is for them to get to know you more personally, right?

Who knows -- if you happened to have traveled to the same places as he has, you could have a wonderful conversation on your interview day and make a great impression. Just have fun with it!

OK, I see. I guess they really do just want to get to know us better!

Edit: Also, when they ask "Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program," are they asking why M.D. as opposed to D.O. or even M.D./PhD, or is this essentially asking "why medicine?"

OK, I see. I guess they really do just want to get to know us better!

Edit: Also, when they ask "Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program," are they asking why M.D. as opposed to D.O. or even M.D./PhD, or is this essentially asking "why medicine?"

I answered "why medicine/why a physician"

interview invite! IS, submitted 8/26, payment received 8/30 - I hope they're nicer to people after a good lunch b/c I requested an afternoon interview :p

they sent via email right?

yeah, and they gave me 2 dates with a morning or afternoon option each. I had to pick my top 2 preferences to email them. one was next Wed! so soon! the other was the following Thurs, still not sure which I got

Has anyone from OS received an II at Louisville yet?

well, no one has chimed in with any post-interview thoughts yet, so I figured I'd drop some words in for those still waiting for invites

1. overall, the day was very relaxed. don't stress about it. the general consensus among my fellow interviewees was that the interviews were of course serious, but they were not getting 'drilled' with questions. my interviewers expressed a genuine interest in me and I felt that both of my interviews were professional, informative, and low-stress. 2 1:1 interviews of 15-30 mins each. you will spend the rest of the time allotted for interviews in a board room with the other applicants. my fellow interviewees were understandably a little stressed (as was I) but still easy to get along with.

2. I wish I would've brought some water. no refreshments provided until lunch (there is, however, a water fountain). you do of course talk quite a bit in your interviews so bringing water is probably a good idea to get the dryness out of your mouth between interviews.

3. the rest of the day was informative and low-key. catered lunch with current med students who were all easygoing and authentic. it was great to hear about their experiences at the school and in Louisville.

overall, the interview experience is excellent here. admissions staff and faculty are all very pleasant and helpful, students were honest and great to talk to, medical center is pretty impressive and probably unrivaled in Kentucky. it is my feeling that you will be able to obtain an excellent education here if you put the work in. it was only my first interview but I'd love to attend -- maybe I'll see some of my fellow interviewees next August!

The interview day was pretty relaxed once the interviews got started. Most of the applicants are friendly. The interviewers, for the most part, are friendly as well and truly are just trying to get a sense of who you are for the Admissions Committee. It was stated that they interview about 450 people for 160 spots.

Talking with the medical school student host was informative. Everything else in the folder and what was said could be found on the website. They definitely need to have drinks in the interview waiting room. Waiting for three hours in a hot, stuffy room wearing business clothes talking and going for interviews will make you thirsty. Probably a good sign that was the worst part I guess.

I looked at their clinical rotation sites and I am confused. What are their affiliated sites for third year clerkship?

I looked at their clinical rotation sites and I am confused. What are their affiliated sites for third year clerkship?

I haven't looked this up myself lately, but the hospital complex downtown (where the med school is located) has, I believe, 4 hospitals. Offhand I know there's University Hospital, Kosair Children's, Jewish Hospital, and another that I forget, but they all sort of run together especially since the Catholic Health Initiative owns almost all of them. As far as I know UofL med students go to all of these, plus the Veterans hospital, which isn't actually walking distance from school like the others but is about a 5 minute drive. (This info is just picked up from being in Louisville so fact-check me before ya rely on anything I've said!)

Teaching sites:
University and Jewish (will probably be merging with Catholic Health soon pending state approval)
Norton (separate financial entity)
Kosair Children's (owned by Norton)
VA

Hey guys. I have seen on other schools they have percentages of being accepted based upon when you are interviewed.

For example for instate, extrapolating from eduers (http://www.eduers.com/Medical/Kentucky/University_of_Louisville_School_of_Medicine.html) instate applicants have a 67% chance of being accepted after they interview. Does this number increase in the earlier interviews as well? I would assume so but would love some input the idea. October 15th just can't come fast enough I guess haha

Wow! Their system is stupid. I am having formatting issues with commas, apostrophes quotations, and dashes. They all turn into question marks after I save the page. I emailed them, and they said that's how their system is. There are so many grammatical errors that it isn't even funny. :(

Wow! Their system is stupid. I am having formatting issues with commas, apostrophes quotations, and dashes. They all turn into question marks after I save the page. I emailed them, and they said that's how their system is. There are so many grammatical errors that it isn't even funny. :(

Have you tried pasting your text into notepad, then copying and pasting into their app? I've seen this work in a few other systems...may be worth a try? GL

About how long did it take those with interview invites to hear back after everything was received?

About how long did it take those with interview invites to hear back after everything was received?

I think they give out interviews on specific dates so for me, complete in June, it was about 6 weeks until I got an invite, but for others may have been less, or more. I'd check last year's SDN page and see if you can find a pattern in when they sent out invites.

And yeah their system is strange/old, but it says very clearly that all "special characters" must be avoided so hopefully you can re-write your responses without loosing too much meaning or voice. Also, proof read using Internet Explorer. I used Chrome at first and things are different in IE, and that's how it'll look in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.