2012-2013 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So how does the waitlist shuffle work after May 15? Is that the day in which most schools begin to move people off of the waitlist after already accepted applicants start dropping off in favor of another program? And does this all happen on May 15, or is it an on-going process over the next several weeks?

It depends on the school. Some have most activity around May 15, some have it a week later, and then it slowly tapers off. By mid June, it's pretty much over- maybe a handful of people will be accepted in July.

Members don't see this ad.

It's different for each school. I think May is too early to call it quits. I won't give up until mid June. Some schools accept right around May 15, others take a few weeks to review the waitlist and accept from it.

Yeah, I'm slowly starting to go crazy here. My dad, seeing me glued to my email, SDN, and the mailbox all week-- to the neglect of my upcoming finals, which I'm on the verge of bombing--says to me, 'You're not living, you're existing. Find something to do.' trouble is, I don't want to do anything, I just want to get in at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh...im so close to the top of the waitlist now (top 10). I just want to get the waiting over with. Seriously it feels like I'm waiting in the 7th round to get picked in the freakin NFL draft or something.

When to send another update/LOI? May 14th? May 15th?

Yeah, I'm slowly starting to go crazy here. My dad, seeing me glued to my email, SDN, and the mailbox all week-- to the neglect of my upcoming finals, which I'm on the verge of bombing--says to me, 'You're not living, you're existing. Find something to do.' trouble is, I don't want to do anything, I just want to get in at this point.

Haha find something to do...You do realize you have an acceptance right? Send all your updates/LOI in and just go have fun. Nothing more you can do at this point, enjoy your last 2-3 months off.

Haha find something to do...You do realize you have an acceptance right? Send all your updates/LOI in and just go have fun. Nothing more you can do at this point, enjoy your last 2-3 months off.

Yeah, but I'm still undecided about whether to go or not. They have an insanely high CoA, which would put me about a half a million in debt, which I would probably never be able to pay off.

So I don't really have anything to update them on except on something bad
Should I just send an LOI without any updates?

Waiting has been awful. I'm going on a trip to Europe for three weeks and I hope I get good news during that time.

You do realize that the estimated CoA at that DO school is roughly the same as an OOS at EVMS, right?

Yes, but as an MD, you have a better shot at competitive specialties. As a DO, you're most likely going to wind up in primary care. If I have that much debt, I'd at least like an opportunity to pay it off, and the only way you get those opportunities is as an MD. Sure, some DOs match into competitive specialties, but the majority are going into FP and IM.

I'd love to be Infectious Disease doc, but I have to be realistic. The only way I would consider it is if I got into a cheap school, which it doesn't look like I'm going to at this point.

Yes, but as an MD, you have a better shot at competitive specialties. As a DO, you're most likely going to wind up in primary care. If I have that much debt, I'd at least like an opportunity to pay it off, and the only way you get those opportunities is as an MD. Sure, some DOs match into competitive specialties, but the majority are going into FP and IM.

I'd love to be Infectious Disease doc, but I have to be realistic. The only way I would consider it is if I got into a cheap school, which it doesn't look like I'm going to at this point.
Infectious Disease +1 Avoiding DO like the plague because of this right now. Like you, I have nothing against it, but I know certain things are harder to achieve.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I don't really have anything to update them on except on something bad
Should I just send an LOI without any updates?

Be careful with sending lots of updates, especially if they are not especially noteworthy or meaningful. Some schools really don't like people sending lots of letters of interest/update letters unless they contain significant new achievements like a published paper, award, etc., so it could work against you.

Be careful with sending lots of updates, especially if they are not especially noteworthy or meaningful. Some schools really don't like people sending lots of letters of interest/update letters unless they contain significant new achievements like a published paper, award, etc., so it could work against you.

It really depends on the school. Some respond to the borderline stalker updates and some don't you just have to know which category the school falls into.

Today, I got a phone call from a med school. For five minutes I thought I was accepted; then I realized they're probably just answering the message I left last Friday.

It ranks among the best five minutes of my life. I hope you guys experience that feeling soon.

Today, I got a phone call from a med school. For five minutes I thought I was accepted; then I realized they're probably just answering the message I left last Friday.

It ranks among the best five minutes of my life. I hope you guys experience that feeling soon.

Had an acceptance dream at the beginning of the cycle (before submitting amcas) it was awesome. I hope the real thing feels as good.

Today is now may 14. Waitlists will start moving soon, and it is almost time to submit amcas. All in all I'd say I am not heeding my own advice and I am freaking out hardcore.

Wish hibernation or several weeks worth of propofol might be a better way to get I June.

Not starting on AMCAS yet
I refuse to accept defeat

To all my fellow panickers-- keep the faith if you're on a wait list. After two years of applying, I was just accepted to Toledo yesterday, after spending the day being frustrated with all the wait lists and waiting, and thinking about how much debt I'll be in.

I am happy to say--miracles do happen, people.

Peace out and good luck!

That's great news SilverCat, congrats! I'm looking forward to hearing many more success stories in this thread soon!

To all my fellow panickers-- keep the faith if you're on a wait list. After two years of applying, I was just accepted to Toledo yesterday, after spending the day being frustrated with all the wait lists and waiting, and thinking about how much debt I'll be in.

Peace out and good luck!

Yay congrats! I was rooting for you!

Peace out and good luck!

Omg congrats, I admire your perseverance

Peace out and good luck!

Congrats!

Peace out and good luck!

woohoo! that's amazing! congratulations! :highfive:

Peace out and good luck!

Oh man congratulations! I've been rooting for you!

Peace out and good luck!

:clap:

Hang on everyone, it's almost over and I too predict more fantastic news :thumbup:

Peace out and good luck!

Congrats and good luck to everyone on this thread.

I haven't posted much on this thread but I've kept up with it pretty consistently. For a while now I've been rejected from all but one of the schools to which I applied, and it was just that one waitlist that stood between me and reapplication. That one waitlist did come through for me though, and one is all you need. I'm officially signing off of the panic thread, but I wish everyone in here the best of luck. Your time is coming.

I haven't posted much on this thread but I've kept up with it pretty consistently. For a while now I've been rejected from all but one of the schools to which I applied, and it was just that one waitlist that stood between me and reapplication. That one waitlist did come through for me though, and one is all you need. I'm officially signing off of the panic thread, but I wish everyone in here the best of luck. Your time is coming.

Congrats brah.

Congrats! We need a champagne toasting icon here.

Congrats!

SilverCat!! Congrats dude!!! I think at some points it was possible to physically feel your pain through a computer screen in these past few months but I'm glad that you don't have to go through this damned process any longer. :D Always remember, you were the king of us waitlisters stuck in this circle of hell for 34 MCAT applicants. :)

In other news, the big day is upon us... :scared:

Do schools have to give decisions by May 15th? I should be getting one tmr then :naughty:
I'm guessing theyre waiting to see if we have any acceptances before offering an acceptance
Hopefully no acceptance will work to my benefit

Do schools have to give decisions by May 15th? I should be getting one tmr then :naughty:
I'm guessing theyre waiting to see if we have any acceptances before offering an acceptance
Hopefully no acceptance will work to my benefit

I think it's May 15th - 25th or so.

Yeah, I hope NYMC rejects you...it'll help both of us right?! :D

I think it's May 15th - 25th or so.

Yeah, I hope NYMC rejects you...it'll help both of us right?! :D

Some places go even later (June) and don't start for another week or two. I am sincerely hoping that all the familiar faces stop posting in this thread soon. Good luck everyone!

I've been following this thread since the beginning of my app cycle, finally thought I'd join. I'm on so many waitlists right now I'm embarrassed to say :laugh:

Today is the big day for us waitlisters. Good luck everyone! :luck:

Well just found out that I'm top 5 on the waitlist I'm on. Hopefully I hear today.... I hate all of this

Control R, Control R, Control R, Control R, Control R, Control R

Do you guys think there is a good chance we could hear news today? Or does most of it occur after May 15

Do you guys think there is a good chance we could hear news today? Or does most of it occur after May 15

I think most movement will come at the end of this week and next week. You might hear today if you are high up and people call to drop early in the day...

Oh man oh man I am on edge today. Knowing full well that it is unlikely for me to hear any news today.