2012-2013 Stony Brook Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a fb page for accepted students? Would love to start getting connected to potential classmates!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

Nope, but if you made one, I'm sure many people would join and find it helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know anything about waiting list movement at Stony Brook? (i.e. when movement tends to begin, how much of the class comes off of the waiting list, etc.)

Anyone know anything about waiting list movement at Stony Brook? (i.e. when movement tends to begin, how much of the class comes off of the waiting list, etc.)
The movement will not start until May and about 20% of the class comes from the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed 10/16, still waiting for some sort of notification ....rejection?

Well now. I interviewed Nov 9th and got my waitlist notification Dec. 10th.

Meh. What happens happens. I emailed them about the high priority waitlist but they said that they werent at liberty to say where my rank was on the list. How is that when people said that they were on the high priority list last year? How did they know then?

Interviewed Oct 4th. Still no word yet..

for those who interviewed mid to end of november Im figuring we'l get emails sometime around the 15th of the month thats how it was for the october people who got answered nov 15th so since thats on saturday im thinking the emails will come tomorrow or perhaps sometime next week

Just got the acceptance package! They included a full-page letter that highly suggested me to take biochemistry and how beneficial it is for medical school, and even offered me to take it during the summer before matriculating. This is strange because I indicated that I took multiple biochemistry courses on my AMCAS. They also said to send them verification of my AP English exam that was a 4 or higher and that I needed to take one extra English course next semester, even though I took two years of intensive reading/writing in it already.
Got this too, but I was a liberal arts major. Anyone else?

Congrats!!! What day did you interview?

Back in November

Got this too, but I was a liberal arts major. Anyone else?

I received the portion about biochemistry but nothing about English, though I completed all my courses without AP credit. If it's of any help I believe they send the letter about biochemistry to everyone - a few years ago a friend of mine majoring in biochemistry was accepted to Stony Brook and received the letter about taking biochemistry courses.

Just withdrew my acceptance offer. Hope it goes to one of you!

Has anyone who interviewed in November received a reply acceptance, wait list, or rejection?? interviewed mid Nov and so far got nothing are wait lists and rejections sent out at the same time as acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance yesterday good luck everyone!!

I am a current stony brook student and I wish you all the best!!!

Anyone know if there is a Fbook group yet???

Just got an interview invite to Stonybrook this morning. Interviewing mid January. I wonder if i'm interviewing for the waitlist.

I interviewed 11/20 and haven't heard a thing What does this mean ? starting to worry but thinking that maybe they didn't answer most of the Nov interviews? from reading the thread only 1 person got an acceptance from a Nov interview Anyone else from a Nov interview hear anything back??

When does the interview begin? Is it feasible to stay in a house in the Queens borough overnight and then take a train to the school in the morning?
Thanks!

When does the interview begin? Is it feasible to stay in a house in the Queens borough overnight and then take a train to the school in the morning?
Thanks!

depends on your interview time. I had some other interviewers on my day who had later interview times (11amish start) so conceivably you can head out around 8, 9ish even from Queens via the LIRR and make it on time

Thanks! So looks like different interviewees can arrive there at different times depending on their scheduled interview times. In the email says " the email confirmation will have both interview times, and the time you should plan to arrive at our office." Not sure whether it is appropriate or possible to ask for a later interview time.

If different interviewees come in at different times, will there be interactions among the interviewees and some admissions people, like the associate dean?

depends on your interview time. I had some other interviewers on my day who had later interview times (11amish start) so conceivably you can head out around 8, 9ish even from Queens via the LIRR and make it on time

Thanks! So looks like different interviewees can arrive there at different times depending on their scheduled interview times. In the email says " the email confirmation will have both interview times, and the time you should plan to arrive at our office." Not sure whether it is appropriate or possible to ask for a later interview time.

If different interviewees come in at different times, will there be interactions among the interviewees and some admissions people, like the associate dean?

yeah you basically all show up a little before your interview time (which is always a good idea :) ) and then you wait in the little waiting room area. The early interview time ppl will get pulled for their interviews, then closer to lunch, someone from financial aid will come chat with you, and I think a dean came to chat with us...and then there's a tour/lunch.

If you have a later interview time, you might stay until after lunch to finish up your interviews. Otherwise, if you've had your two interviews in the morning before the tour/lunch...you're all done!

Thanks for the info!

yeah you basically all show up a little before your interview time (which is always a good idea :) ) and then you wait in the little waiting room area. The early interview time ppl will get pulled for their interviews, then closer to lunch, someone from financial aid will come chat with you, and I think a dean came to chat with us...and then there's a tour/lunch.

If you have a later interview time, you might stay until after lunch to finish up your interviews. Otherwise, if you've had your two interviews in the morning before the tour/lunch...you're all done!

Does anyone know if we need to submit our fall grades if we are waitlisted? If so, do we submit them through AMCAS?

WOW I got an ii today! I was complete in August and I completely gave up on this school! Super excited :D

Anyone else interviewing on February 8th? Does anyone think that will be too late?

Anyone else interviewing on February 8th? Does anyone think that will be too late?
Nooooo, it wont' be too late! There will still be a spot for you in Feb... Look at the posts from last year.

Nooooo, it wont' be too late! There will still be a spot for you in Feb... Look at the posts from last year.

Thanks! AHHHH I'm in love with this school/area and I haven't even been there yet! Hopefully everything I've read about it online matches up in person. Weeeeeee I'm so excited to interview!

Thanks! AHHHH I'm in love with this school/area and I haven't even been there yet! Hopefully everything I've read about it online matches up in person. Weeeeeee I'm so excited to interview!

Congratulations on the ii!!! Did you send any update letters/letters of interest since your application was complete?

Accepted!! First one just got the email !! Interviewed Nov 19

Does anyone who has interviewed here remember if they gave a timeline for notifying us on their final decision?

Does anyone know if they are receptive to post interview letters of interest/intent?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

What time does the interview day typically start and end? Just wondering if I need to get a hotel or not for the night before/after. Thanks!

Does anyone know if they are receptive to post interview letters of interest/intent?

Before I sent in a "letter of intent," I spoke to a few current MD students there... They basically said that any communication with the adcom was good! Thank you letters, letters of intent, updates, ext...
Good luck!

Hi. I have an interview at StonyBrook this Thursday - January 17th. Is anyone driving to an interview there on the same date with a car heading out from the city and wouldn't mind giving me a ride? I would really appreciate it and even willing to pay. Please private message me if this is possible.

Last edited:
Before I sent in a "letter of intent," I spoke to a few current MD students there... They basically said that any communication with the adcom was good! Thank you letters, letters of intent, updates, ext...
Good luck!

Spoke with someone from Adcom back in Oct, and then sent update letter early this month. Still all quiet...

Spoke with someone from Adcom back in Oct, and then sent update letter early this month. Still all quiet...

What do you mean by you spoke to adcom?

Status
Not open for further replies.