2012-2013 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wondering how damning a pre-interview hold is . . . sigh . . . I swear, I thought waiting for my MCAT scores was horrible, but waiting for just one school to decide that I am fit to become a doctor is way worse.

Same... And it's because my committee letter took a century to come in. It's nice to know they will look at us again dec.1 but I feel like I don't deserve the hold because of the letter. Bummer, I really like this school.

Members don't see this ad.

Same... And it's because my committee letter took a century to come in. It's nice to know they will look at us again dec.1 but I feel like I don't deserve the hold because of the letter. Bummer, I really like this school.

Wait, you too? Did they put you on hold before your LORs came in? If so, the exact same thing happened to me. LOL:smuggrin: My professor took his sweet ass time (2 months) and I was helpless!

I called all the hotels, and found that the Maplewood Inn offered the most affordable rate. WIth taxes, it was around $79. Other places were around or over $100. The Inn also offered free shuttle service to and from the airport and to and from the Upstate admissions hall. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea when we should be expecting financial aid packages? Also, has anyone accepted received anything in the mail yet?

Any idea when we should be expecting financial aid packages? Also, has anyone accepted received anything in the mail yet?

You won't know your financial aid package until at least a few weeks after you file your FAFSA for next year (watch out for that deadline). Secondly, school won't release the info on your financial aid award until you're issued a student ID and password, which is generally done in March or later.

Hmmm. I'm not sure about this. I don't think that Upstate would review your application unless your app is complete and all the letter of recommendations are in. In your amcas application, you specify how many LORs will be there and I think they'll all have to be received by the school before your application is reviewed. Just to be sure, I'll verify and confirm with you on this later. But at any rate, you are not being on hold because of a late LOR. They wouldn't hold it against you for a late LOR because it's not your fault. Late LOR may hurt your chances of getting reviewed earlier in the cycle and that's all.

Hi

I scheduled an interview a while back for oct 24, and checked a few times for accomodation info, etc. today I went in banner web to check again to see if I booked the right hotel, but all the interview info is gone. All I see now is just fall 2012 application ... I'm sort of worried that I missed a confirmation deadline or other stuff I had to do before interview? I know we have to submit photo, but that only has to be done a week prior rite? Is it just a glitch of the website or they somehow cancelled my interview?

thanks,

Call admission office to find out what's going on. It happened to me once before and it was because I scheduled my interview date BEFORE receiving the interview invite via email. I found out that I was invited for interview via change of my status on bannerweb site and scheduled my interview date. Apparently I had to wait for the official email invite before scheduling interview. I called admission office and was able to get back on the date that I wanted via the phone (phew). Good luck.

Hmmm. I'm not sure about this. I don't think that Upstate would review your application unless your app is complete and all the letter of recommendations are in. In your amcas application, you specify how many LORs will be there and I think they'll all have to be received by the school before your application is reviewed. Just to be sure, I'll verify and confirm with you on this later. But at any rate, you are not being on hold because of a late LOR. They wouldn't hold it against you for a late LOR because it's not your fault. Late LOR may hurt your chances of getting reviewed earlier in the cycle and that's all.

My undergrad advisor also teaches at upstate med and she asked why it was on hold when she was there for an admissions meeting (I didn't ask her to, she is just nice/was confused why they'd put me on hold so soon). They told her they were waiting for my committee letter- I think it was a mistake I made on the amcas by not requesting/putting my letter on my app until they were almost done. I called recently and upstate said it is complete (including that committee letter) but I don't think I'll get reviewed until everyone else on hold. So, my bad, but I'm still bummed.

Accepted! IS, interviewed 10/3

Good luck

Congrats! That's a pretty quick turnaround time. I also interviewed on 10/3, but I haven't heard anything yet. When did you get the email? THanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! That's a pretty quick turnaround time. I also interviewed on 10/3, but I haven't heard anything yet. When did you get the email? THanks!

Congrats. I interviewed the same day. Glad to hear they have started giving out decisions to our group.

Interviewed on this day as well. No news yet. :xf:

Accepted! IS, interviewed 10/3

Good luck

Congratulations!! I hope this doesn't sound like I am complaining (probably more like stressing! ;) ), but I am just curious how they are working through the applicants they have interviewed already. I interviewed on 09/26 and I haven't heard back at all. Hopefully this is not a bad sign... :scared:

My undergrad advisor also teaches at upstate med and she asked why it was on hold when she was there for an admissions meeting (I didn't ask her to, she is just nice/was confused why they'd put me on hold so soon). They told her they were waiting for my committee letter- I think it was a mistake I made on the amcas by not requesting/putting my letter on my app until they were almost done. I called recently and upstate said it is complete (including that committee letter) but I don't think I'll get reviewed until everyone else on hold. So, my bad, but I'm still bummed.

I talked to admission director. She said all LORs get sent to AMCAS. After that's done, the school download the LORs to their system. Then they'll email and tell you that your application is complete and now will be forward to admission committee for review. I can assure you that the decision made on each application is based on the information that's there and on the whole application, not on the information that's missing such as a missing LOR. At least that's what I'm told by the admission director.

Question: is the "committee letter" that you're talking about one single LOR or the whole LOR packet sent by your school?

If you want, PM me your name and I'll inquire further for specifics.

^

I received the pre-interview hold while waiting for my 2 LORs to come in. At the time, my secondary had been submitted already and 1 LOR was in. I thought they wouldn't review me until at least 2 or all of my LORs were in. I guess I was wrong, lol.

^

I received the pre-interview hold while waiting for my 2 LORs to come in. At the time, my secondary had been submitted already and 1 LOR was in. I thought they wouldn't review me until at least 2 or all of my LORs were in. I guess I was wrong, lol.

I just want to get to the bottom of this.

Did you have a health profession advising (HPA) center at your school that manage all your LORs? How many LORs were you sending in? Two or three?

If you do have an HPA at your school, all the LORs you request for from professors or whomever will have to be received by the HPA before the HPA write their own LOR and send the whole packet (professors LORs and HPA LOR) to AMCAS.

After AMCAS get the whole LOR packet, Upstate will download it to their system and then start reviewing your info for interview decision.

Even if you don't have an HPA at your school, in your AMCAS app, you would specify how many LORs you will have and from whom. Without having everything on file, your application is considered incomplete. Application is only reviewed once it's placed in the "complete" pile. And you have until December 1st to "complete" your application.

It doesn't work that way if you have supplement LORs that you request directly from professors and sent to Upstate without going through AMCAS. For these LORs, there's no way for the school to know if some LORs are missing or late.

One other possibility is that I believe there's a pre-screening process put in place to set aside applications that have GPA or MCAT under certain cut-off grades (or any other glaring red-flags). I don't know what those cut-off grades are. If that's the case then it's possible the applicant could be put on pre-interview hold before the whole application is "complete". This possibility is my own speculation which I need to confirm later.

Now that I know they have reached my interview day for acceptance/rejection it is going to be an agonizing long weekend wait...

Got the interview hold email a few hours ago. So sad! Does anyone have any input on our chances of getting an ii? And if a letter of interest/update letter (I have significant updates) would help us out once they review our apps again?

So I have not gotten the acceptance package yet, but I did notice now that you can pay the deposit on the status page

Hey guys! A little late, but I'm an Upstate M3 and just wanted to say good luck to everyone applying! Feel free to PM me any questions you have. I do love my school, but am also as unbiased as one could hope for. Sending lots of luck and positive thoughts all your ways!

To those who received a decision: has your status page changed in any way?

To those who received a decision: has your status page changed in any way?
The only thing that has changed is that you can pay the deposit to reserve a seat for the upcoming year

Lnphan-

I think it was my error, because I didn't know to put the HPA letter info on my amcas before they were close to completing my letter. I'm pretty sure this messed up more than a few of my applications. I love Upstate so I hope I do well in the re-evaluation round!!

So am I right to assume that Upstate hasn't rejected anyone pre-interview? Just on hold versus II at this point, correct?

Has anyone accepted on the 15th received anything in the mail yet?

Anyone knows how close the pre-interview hold to rejection? Are there many people offered an interview thereafter? Hope it's not a prolonged rejection....

Startled at 10pm by an email notification...

Pre-Interview Hold. Awesome.

I guess we'll see what happens. Gonna pretend this is a rejection email (which it probably is?), so that I can only be pleasantly surprised by this school in the future with an II.

Good luck to everyone, and congrats to those who are accepted!!

startled at 10pm by an email notification...

Pre-interview hold. Awesome.

I guess we'll see what happens. Gonna pretend this is a rejection email (which it probably is?), so that i can only be pleasantly surprised by this school in the future with an ii.

Good luck to everyone, and congrats to those who are accepted!!

+1

Hey is anyone interviewing on Monday when Hurricane Sandy is about to hit. I believe I can make it there. But I think I may not make it back to nyc on Monday night if it gets really bad. Also with all the bus accidents happening(when dry) I am worried about what might happen when wet.:(

When does the interview ends ? I have a 6:45 pm bus to catch

they say expect to stay until 3:00 pm. (Thats during majority of the rain) So I think I may just reschedule it even though its so suddenly.

I have a morning interview. I have decided to just reschedule. Its took much of a risk being stuck upstate. Good luck to those who interview on that day!!!

When does the interview ends ? I have a 6:45 pm bus to catch
Trisphorin, I made that bus with time to spare. With the morning slot we were done by 2 or something. I then messed around for a while, went to a talk, got something to eat. The bus stop that returns you to the transit center is right here (http://goo.gl/maps/l88P7), near the restaurants and stuff (turn around in Street View), and I believe it is the 50 going to Destiny USA Mall (double-check).

I'm supposed to interview this Wednesday, flying up from Florida Tuesday. Airline canceled my flight because of the storm. I emailed admissions Friday morning (10am) but received no response. Has anyone interviewing early this week heard from the office if the interview would be canceled or postponed?

I heard nothing. We probably won't hear anything until Tuesday the latest. They have to reschedule at this point.

Trisphorin, I made that bus with time to spare. With the morning slot we were done by 2 or something. I then messed around for a while, went to a talk, got something to eat. The bus stop that returns you to the transit center is right here (http://goo.gl/maps/l88P7), near the restaurants and stuff (turn around in Street View), and I believe it is the 50 going to Destiny USA Mall (double-check).

Hey, thank you so much for the info! do you know the bus number that you take to get back to the megabus at the transit center? :)

They haven't emailed me about when my interview will be hold, do you know by any chance when the afternoon interview ends?

I cannot say for certain. I had the morning interview and was out by 2 PM.

If I had to guess... I would say that the afternoon interview would not last later than 4 PM.

.LIRR and subway service has been suspended so not sure how I can make it up there if the hurricane turns out to be as bad as predicted!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.