2012-2013 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received a completely unexpected interview invite for PRIME today! :D

Complete since 7/15 and scheduled for January, so anyone who's been waiting for months there is still hope! To be honest I thought my interview season was over at this point but I'm definitely giving this school a shot.

Pretty stoked.

Members don't see this ad.

Pre-interview rejection today. My application is improved vs last year and I got II/waitlist last year. It certainly feels like a crapshoot sometimes.

Oh well, good luck to everyone here! It's an AWESOME school.

Post-secondary, pre-interview rejection just now... Was on hold since early October...

Members don't see this ad :)
post sec rejection, complete 9/27 IS 3.74/34 and my Top Choice making me at 1 ii and like 11 rejections ;/

Man...I wrote an autobiography! Well I guess it's time to turn it into a book :)

rejected pre-secondary! I got a secondary last time I applied, so they must have increased their numbers bar this year. good luck to those still in the pool!

What time are you guys getting these rejections?

I'm seriously getting nervous. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe its' all the other rejections, but no sting in this one.

What time are you guys getting these rejections?

I'm seriously getting nervous. :scared:

I got an e-mail around 10 this morning, PST.

Wow this is so scary, sorry for all those who got rejected. I feel my time will come soon too..... Can't believe they also reject those on pre-interview hold too, I thought schools usually reject those on hold after the cycle ends. Now I start worrying about my pre-interview holds for other schools......

I've been on hold since 9/13. I guess I was spared from the 12/19 purge, but I feel my turn is fast-approaching :(

How do you guys know that you're on hold? I've been complete since 9/20 but I haven't heard a peep.

How do you guys know that you're on hold? I've been complete since 9/20 but I haven't heard a peep.

I received an email saying:

"The UCSD School of Medicine Recruitment and Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application. The Committee initially makes one of three decisions. Applicants may be invited for an interview, placed on “hold” for an interview, or receive no further consideration for an interview.

You have been placed on “hold” for an interview...."

I received an email saying:

"The UCSD School of Medicine Recruitment and Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application. The Committee initially makes one of three decisions. Applicants may be invited for an interview, placed on “hold” for an interview, or receive no further consideration for an interview.

You have been placed on “hold” for an interview...."

Hm, that's strange. You guys think I should give them a call? I can't imagine that they haven't gotten to my application yet. :confused:

Same here, and I was complete in early October? Maybe even mid September. Good luck!

I've been on hold since 9/13. I guess I was spared from the 12/19 purge, but I feel my turn is fast-approaching :(

I was spared as well; I'm still on pre-interview hold as far as I know. It surprised me that they were trimming the hold list so early - I got the impression from that email that they were going to re-evaluate everyone on it in February. Hope they get to the IIs early too...

I was rejected on 12/19 too. Not too upset about it since they were at the bottom of my list.

3.7, 33N. Psyc major, strong focus in gender/sexual minority health. Secondary complete in... early October, as I remember.

Did anyone who went on a free clinic tour go the day before their interview? I would love to go on one, but I'm concerned that I won't have anywhere to stash my bags if I'm flying in (East Coast) an hour or two before the tour starts... Thanks!

Did anyone who went on a free clinic tour go the day before their interview? I would love to go on one, but I'm concerned that I won't have anywhere to stash my bags if I'm flying in (East Coast) an hour or two before the tour starts... Thanks!

You meet at the school before the tour and you drive downtown to the clinic with students, so you can just leave your bags in their car.

For anyone still waiting in silence, I just called the school and they told me that they decided not to interview me at this time but my application will be looked at again within the next few weeks. A decision to interview or reject will be made in about one month. Hope this helps somebody in the same situation.

For anyone still waiting in silence, I just called the school and they told me that they decided not to interview me at this time but my application will be looked at again within the next few weeks. A decision to interview or reject will be made in about one month. Hope this helps somebody in the same situation.

Ah, very interesting. Sounds pretty much like a hold. Good luck!!

I was rejected on 12/19 too. Not too upset about it since they were at the bottom of my list.

3.7, 33N. Psyc major, strong focus in gender/sexual minority health. Secondary complete in... early October, as I remember.
lol, you must be in a good place if UCSD is at the bottom of your list...

In general, I wonder how much of the class is filled already. It seems kinda late in the cycle to me. Ah well, probably shouldn't think too much about this.

lol, you must be in a good place if UCSD is at the bottom of your list...

In general, I wonder how much of the class is filled already. It seems kinda late in the cycle to me. Ah well, probably shouldn't think too much about this.

At my interview, I'm pretty sure they said they over enroll the class anyway so it's kind of hard to say.

Just got accepted today! Dang, now I have have to decide between two schools I really really like.

Good luck to you all! :luck:

35, >3.6, math degree, non-trad. Research and volunteering.

Submitted secondary early August. Interviewed on 12/13. They said normally they give you an answer in a week, but ours took 3 because of the holidays (but they told us in advance).

35, >3.6, math degree, non-trad. Research and volunteering.

Submitted secondary early August. Interviewed on 12/13. They said normally they give you an answer in a week, but ours took 3 because of the holidays (but they told us in advance).

I also interviewed in early December, and my decision was supposed to be out yesterday, but one of my interviewers didn't make it to the committee meeting :( :( I feel like this is the longest waiting period ever to hear back after a UCSD interview!

Congrats on getting in though MiaBia!

I also interviewed in early December, and my decision was supposed to be out yesterday, but one of my interviewers didn't make it to the committee meeting :( :( I feel like this is the longest waiting period ever to hear back after a UCSD interview!

Congrats on getting in though MiaBia!

Oh wow, that IS long! But hopefully it will be an acceptance and will make it all worthwhile. :D

Did Brian tell you about your interviewer not making it? Did you have to call to find out? Because a friend of mine was supposed to hear back yesterday and didn't either.

Oh wow, that IS long! But hopefully it will be an acceptance and will make it all worthwhile. :D

Did Brian tell you about your interviewer not making it? Did you have to call to find out? Because a friend of mine was supposed to hear back yesterday and didn't either.

Yup, I called Brian and he told me.

Rejected post-interview :( Thought the interviews went well too.

36, 3.94, clinical research & volunteering

Rejected post-interview :( Thought the interviews went well too.

36, 3.94, clinical research & volunteering
Hi, If you don't mind me asking...or more correctly, if you don't want to punch me in the face for asking this now - considering your stats (I know that stats aren't everything), why do you think you were rejected from UCSD?

Hi, If you don't mind me asking...or more correctly, if you don't want to punch me in the face for asking this now - considering your stats (I know that stats aren't everything), why do you think you were rejected from UCSD?

I wish I had an answer to that. My student interviewer made me feel very confident during the interview. My second interview was cut down to only 15 mins due to shuttle delays so it was extremely quick and a relatively casual conversation. I felt confident leaving those, but I guess you can never totally trust how you feel after an interview. I'm also a very traditional applicant and OOS, so maybe that was part of it?

I wish I had an answer to that. My student interviewer made me feel very confident during the interview. My second interview was cut down to only 15 mins due to shuttle delays so it was extremely quick and a relatively casual conversation. I felt confident leaving those, but I guess you can never totally trust how you feel after an interview. I'm also a very traditional applicant and OOS, so maybe that was part of it?
Thank you for your answer.

I'm preparing now for my first round of applications, and I've reading what a lot of people wrote here in the different threads, or different interview reviews, and it's a common theme - the interviews were great (with a small number of exceptions). Despite that, people still get turned away, and I can't seem to understand what is it exactly they're looking for in an interview, what are they trying to get out of the applicant.

As for the OOS and being a traditional student, my lab manager and I, and other people before that, just had a conversation about it. She's looking into PhD programs in Psych, and she believe she admitted to having a problem to answer prompts that ask for some extraordinary life experience - apparently having a stable life, without any parents dying at a young age, is now a disadvantage!

Anyway, thanks again, and I wish you success with your other applications.

Thank you for your answer.

I'm preparing now for my first round of applications, and I've reading what a lot of people wrote here in the different threads, or different interview reviews, and it's a common theme - the interviews were great (with a small number of exceptions). Despite that, people still get turned away, and I can't seem to understand what is it exactly they're looking for in an interview, what are they trying to get out of the applicant.

As for the OOS and being a traditional student, my lab manager and I, and other people before that, just had a conversation about it. She's looking into PhD programs in Psych, and she believe she admitted to having a problem to answer prompts that ask for some extraordinary life experience - apparently having a stable life, without any parents dying at a young age, is now a disadvantage!

Anyway, thanks again, and I wish you success with your other applications.

Thank you! It is quite frustrating that being a traditional applicant can now be a disadvantage. I think the overall picture of what they are looking for is a "good fit," both while reviewing applications and during the interviews. Unfortunately, many applicants feel as though they are a great fit for a particular school, but admissions ultimately makes that decision.

Good luck with your application process!

Thank you! It is quite frustrating that being a traditional applicant can now be a disadvantage. I think the overall picture of what they are looking for is a "good fit," both while reviewing applications and during the interviews. Unfortunately, many applicants feel as though they are a great fit for a particular school, but admissions ultimately makes that decision.

Good luck with your application process!

I can definitely agree with this. I interviewed and was waitlisted. I thought my interviews went well and loved the school. I have a pretty run of the mill background: biochem, >3.85, 37, some clinical, more research, applying in the 4th year; however, that seems to be my problem this cycle. It behooves me to think what adcoms believe makes a traditional student unworthy of admission. It seems a good applicant these days need either be an extravagant story teller or one who has experienced a traumatic change in his/her life. Regardless, bravo to those who get in with less normal backgrounds.

Last edited:
I can definitely agree with this. I interviewed on 1/3 and was waitlisted this past Tuesday. I thought my interviews went well and loved the school. I have a pretty run of the mill background: biochem, >3.85, 37, some clinical, more research, applying in the 4th year; however, that seems to be my problem this cycle. It behooves me to think what adcoms believe makes a traditional student unworthy of admission. It seems a good applicant these days need either be an extravagant story teller or one who has experienced a traumatic change in his/her life. Regardless, bravo to those who get in with less normal backgrounds.

When you try to narrow a pool of 6,000 to 125 you ultimately need to make some less than rational decisions. I don't like the process any more than you guys, I was WL, but it's just the nature of the game. Bottom line is, you need to set yourself apart from the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.