2012-2013 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can definitely agree with this. I interviewed on 1/3 and was waitlisted this past Tuesday. I thought my interviews went well and loved the school. I have a pretty run of the mill background: biochem, >3.85, 37, some clinical, more research, applying in the 4th year; however, that seems to be my problem this cycle. It behooves me to think what adcoms believe makes a traditional student unworthy of admission. It seems a good applicant these days need either be an extravagant story teller or one who has experienced a traumatic change in his/her life. Regardless, bravo to those who get in with less normal backgrounds.

I also agree with jlescher. I think that another thing adcoms in general value highly, especially from really selective schools, is a variety of experiences and motivations to enter medschool that show that the applicant has thought about their decisions from lots of perspectives; not to say that traditional applicants are any less qualified, but that's my two cents.

Members don't see this ad.

Been complete since 8/21.... Interview/WL last year but I haven't heard a peep yet. Anyone know if they are still giving out II's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Been complete since 8/21.... Interview/WL last year but I haven't heard a peep yet. Anyone know if they are still giving out II's?

When I called in September they said they'd start offering interviews to those "on hold for an interview" around February. I think they said they'll probably interview around 35 people out of the several hundred on hold.

When I called in September they said they'd start offering interviews to those "on hold for an interview" around February. I think they said they'll probably interview around 35 people out of the several hundred on hold.

Well I never even got a "hold" for interview so I have no idea what the heck is goin' on!

Yay! Second look weekend is upon us! April 12-13 :laugh:

Sorry, there hasn't been much movement in this thread, so I thought I'd just write that...

Actually, this post might actually have a purpose...does anyone know if you can bring a family member to second look? aka, can I bring mom? :rolleyes:

Yay! Second look weekend is upon us! April 12-13 :laugh:

Sorry, there hasn't been much movement in this thread, so I thought I'd just write that...

Actually, this post might actually have a purpose...does anyone know if you can bring a family member to second look? aka, can I bring mom? :rolleyes:

I actually had that same question too... It'd be nice to bring my parents and gf but idk if its normal. I guess white coat would be the day to shoot for to bring your fam.

Does anyone have any statistics on what undergrad institutions UCSD med students come from?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's probably still true, but a lot of what is talked about in that powerpoint is very outdated, just in case anyone is looking at other info in it! Just so everyone knows :)

Yeah true. That's the data for the class entering 2005.

S/P secondary, stuck in limbo. Tick-tock.

Placed on hold. C: 10/1/12
Took them unusually long!

Last edited:
Placed on hold for an interview, will know more mid-February, secondary submitted 12/03, purple monkey dishwasher.

Interview invite! Complete 11/5, scheduled for late March. They didn't give me an option on the date, so I have no idea how many slots are left.

IS, stats above their averages.

Just got an email saying I was waitlisted. I'm a little surprised. I thought my stats would carry me here, plus one of my interviews went fine and the other was awesome (and it wasn't just in my head... the interviewer was pretty impressed and actually straight-up told me he was going to give me a "really good recommendation").

Just got an email saying I was waitlisted. I'm a little surprised. I thought my stats would carry me here, plus one of my interviews went fine and the other was awesome (and it wasn't just in my head... the interviewer was pretty impressed and actually straight-up told me he was going to give me a "really good recommendation").

You do have great stats! I don't know, but it might be because they pride themselves on having a high matric rate, and they might think it's like you'll go elsewhere? Are you by any chance the girl I sat next to during the intro at the SD interview?....Dec. 6? Just wonderin' because you have some of the same interview history as she did. :)

You do have great stats! I don't know, but it might be because they pride themselves on having a high matric rate, and they might think it's like you'll go elsewhere? Are you by any chance the girl I sat next to during the intro at the SD interview?....Dec. 6? Just wonderin' because you have some of the same interview history as she did. :)

Thanks... I have no idea what went wrong, but it doesn't really matter, the result is the same. And nope, I interviewed on a different day.

Thanks... I have no idea what went wrong, but it doesn't really matter, the result is the same. And nope, I interviewed on a different day.

I thought I was WLed because I have sub par stats but it seems like a few people are in the same boat with high stats like yourself. It might simply be that they have accepted a few people like you already (similar background and interests). They seem very concerned about having a diverse, well balanced class. Would you really attend USCD given your acceptance at Wash U? It's understandable if you want to stay in California. It is awesome!

I've had an interview at UCSD scheduled for this month since November and they recently sent everyone an email asking them to reconfirm their interview date. We were specifically told that this was so we could give other potentially interviewees a spot if we wanted.

I've read this thread & the interview feedback site for UCSD, but I was wondering if anyone else would like to share their experience interviewing at UCSD! I have one coming up and would really appreciate it. Thanks so much :)

I've read this thread & the interview feedback site for UCSD, but I was wondering if anyone else would like to share their experience interviewing at UCSD! I have one coming up and would really appreciate it. Thanks so much :)

If I recall correctly, most of my conversation revolved around the autobiography I wrote. It was very casual and low stress.

If I recall correctly, most of my conversation revolved around the autobiography I wrote. It was very casual and low stress.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. What about the layout/schedule of the day?

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. What about the layout/schedule of the day?

You start off with a presentation with Brian. Two interviews in the morning. You may or may not have to bus to your interviewer. Then they do a quick round at the building before lunch (I missed this part, I think they saw the sim lab or something?). Lunch with students, then more in-depth tour around the school where they answer your questions. That's it! The day ended pretty early, like 2:30ish?

What was said about UCSD asking you mainly about things in your autobiographical statement is true, so be ready to go in depth and in detail about your experiences and treat it like a conversation. :) I also interviewed with one PhD faculty member and he asked me to talk about my research for my interview. Each one was 30-1hr long! Best of luck! :)

Just curious if anyone put on Interview Hold has gotten an II so far this month? Anyone know any information/trends from previous years?

Just curious if anyone put on Interview Hold has gotten an II so far this month? Anyone know any information/trends from previous years?

When I called a few months ago they told me that they wouldn't be offering very many. But at least there's a chance...

Pretty much. I called about a week ago; the person said my chances of getting an invite "aren't high".

Any current UCSD med students on here? What are your favorite and least favorite things about UCSD? Also, I can't seem to find if UCSD grades on a P/F or H/P/F system

I'm not a ucsd med student but the first two years are p/f and last two are p/f/honors.

I think I'll be able to add some information for those who have been waitlisted. I called in on Feb 6th, the admissions officer said they started the review process for waitlisters the final week of January. In the second week of their review process they'll be filtering out their best candidates from the waitlist and that we'll likely hear from them mid-February. Good luck to those waitlisted.

Is anyone else a bit freaked out about not completing pre-reqs or any other requirements for UCSD before beginning school? I believe that I've completed everything but I'm scared that they'll tell me in late August that there's a class that I haven't taken and thus can't attend anymore.

I think I'll be able to add some information for those who have been waitlisted. I called in on Feb 6th, the admissions officer said they started the review process for waitlisters the final week of January. In the second week of their review process they'll be filtering out their best candidates from the waitlist and that we'll likely hear from them mid-February. Good luck to those waitlisted.

Awesome, thanks!

Do you mean those who are on the post-interview waitlist?

thanks!

Do you mean those who are on the post-interview waitlist?

thanks!

I'm pretty sure this does not apply to the post-interview waitlist. For that, Brian said they will start making offers from the waitlist in May (after people start withdrawing).

hey OP, could you please clarify whether this is for post-interview waitlist or for the pre-interview hold list? I know Brian's email said that May would be the time they really look at the waitlist but I've heard from multiple students (at UCSD and other schools) that generally waitlists can be periodically looked at, especially towards the end of the interview cycle.

Pretty sure OP is referring to pre interview hold. I've talked to Brian twice and nothing about WL movement before May has been mentioned. The timeline mentioned does fit for decisions regarding the hold list.

Last edited:
Is there a way to access our secondary application? Can't seem to find the usual doc file I have for each school's secondary app.

Status
Not open for further replies.