2012-2013 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an interview! Was on hold forever! Interview scheduled for end of March. Here's to hoping I don't need it...but excited nonetheless! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an interview! Was on hold forever! Interview scheduled for end of March. Here's to hoping I don't need it...but excited nonetheless! :love:

Congratz!! I'm so jealous... I've been on hold forever too and am waiting for a miracle interview invite. Good luck on the interview! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on this one.

San Diego is my hometown. Born in Balboa Naval Hospital. Called and spoke to admissions a couple days ago and they said "Hopefully the end of this week."

I've seen some people here that have posted with completion dates after mine say they've heard back...so I'm hoping the longer period of time hopefully means they've been deliberating about my file and *hopefully* give me an interview.

I would LOVE to go HOME for med school.

Same here.

same but back in December. Does anyone know if there is generally a lot of movement from the waitlist? Anyone remember what percentage of students they take off it? Basically, should I let myself be hopeful :)

same but back in December. Does anyone know if there is generally a lot of movement from the waitlist? Anyone remember what percentage of students they take off it? Basically, should I let myself be hopeful :)

They initially waitlist about 350 people. At the end of April/beginning of May, they send out an email asking people if they want to remain on the waitlist. At that point, about 250 typically remain on the waitlist, and of that 250, about 10-20% eventually get offers.

Did anyone else struggle as much as I am in getting a student host?

Looks like I may be staying in a hotel, any recommendations?

They initially waitlist about 350 people. At the end of April/beginning of May, they send out an email asking people if they want to remain on the waitlist. At that point, about 250 typically remain on the waitlist, and of that 250, about 10-20% eventually get offers.

Good to know and thanks for the info. Given this small percentage of offers eventually accepted, it's still hard to really gauge anything since the waitlist is unranked.

I stayed in the Sheraton La Jolla, which was nice because I didn't have to park on campus (which is supposed to be confusing). I walked over in the morning. I think I was the only person staying in a hotel though. The best reason to pursue a host at UCSD is that many students live in the school's graduate housing for the first two years, so it would have been nice to see that.

I had trouble finding one but I emailed a lot of people at the last minute and someone came through.

I stayed in the Sheraton La Jolla, which was nice because I didn't have to park on campus (which is supposed to be confusing). I walked over in the morning. I think I was the only person staying in a hotel though. The best reason to pursue a host at UCSD is that many students live in the school's graduate housing for the first two years, so it would have been nice to see that.

Hi guys. I agree about trying to find a student host. Many of them live in the Rita Atkinson residences, located only a couple of minutes of walking distance to the telemedicine building. I'm not sure about the difficulty of finding a student host because I was a UCSD undergrad and only needed a 5-minute drive to my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rita Atkinson and One Miramar are where the majority of 1st/2nd years live. I was fortunate enough to see both during my interview day. Rita is the closest to the SoM but, personally, I think that One Miramar looks much nicer. I didn't have a hard time finding a student host; just e-mail a couple and hope to hear back from one (but make sure you give them ample notice!)!

It's officially mid-February and today is the perfect day to show me some love :love:

Anyone heard anything new? I spoke to someone in admissions last week regarding my status, and they said "End of the week."

That obviously was something to just get me off the phone, it seems.

Just called the financial aid office and they told me there's pretty much no deadline for FAFSA submission for this stretch once you've been accepted to the school of medicine. Seems a bit odd that there's no deadline though. Can anyone confirm this?

Anyone heard anything new? I spoke to someone in admissions last week regarding my status, and they said "End of the week."

That obviously was something to just get me off the phone, it seems.

:(

Maybe they meant that's the earliest you MIGHT hear back. So some applicants heard back at the end of last week, but others will hear back later...

Still waiting to hear back as well... I can't say that I'm taking this as a good sign. :/

Are you guys talking about interview invites or post interview decision? I remember being told that decisions will be emailed two weeks from the interview date at 8:30AM.

Are you guys talking about interview invites or post interview decision? I remember being told that decisions will be emailed two weeks from the interview date at 8:30AM.

Interview invites. A lot of us were emailed back in January that we were being put on hold for review and that we would hear back mid-February. Still haven't heard back yet.

Interview invites. A lot of us were emailed back in January that we were being put on hold for review and that we would hear back mid-February. Still haven't heard back yet.

There were several big groups of pre-interview holds. I think I was put on hold around October and still haven't heard anything. There are several hundred people on hold, and most of us won't receive interviews (per the admissions lady I spoke with months ago). Still, silence is always better than a rejection.

So...how's that mid Feb decision coming along? :confused:

Been wondering the same thing myself. At this point, I'm definitely not getting my hopes up.

has ANYONE who's been put on hold received an interview invite?

hey OP, could you please clarify whether this is for post-interview waitlist or for the pre-interview hold list? I know Brian's email said that May would be the time they really look at the waitlist but I've heard from multiple students (at UCSD and other schools) that generally waitlists can be periodically looked at, especially towards the end of the interview cycle.
I'm so sorry for any confusion or anxiety I may have caused. I was referring to pre-interview hold list in my post. I haven't visited this topic/site in awhile, so this is the first day I saw replies. Anyway, good luck to those waiting for an acceptance post-interview. I'm likely headed towards a pre-interview rejection within the next couple days.

Rejected as well following the pre-interview hold.

Rejected. Looks like I won't be staying in CA. :(

I didn't have the stats to be put on hold here in the first place. Anyway, rejected

Did anyone here anything today? I believe we were told by Brian (last Tuesday, 2/19) that some decisions should have gone out this morning because yesterday was a admissions committee meeting.

Did anyone here anything today? I believe we were told by Brian (last Tuesday, 2/19) that some decisions should have gone out this morning because yesterday was a admissions committee meeting.

Got accepted this morning!

I interviewed two weeks ago. I was told that all post-interview decisions come out two weeks after the interview date at 8am via email. This was certainly how I received my acceptance.

waitlisted this morning. :( this is my second waitlist this cycle and still waiting to hear back from 4 schools...I'm really nervous! :( :(

Just out of curiosity, what were the basic stats (cGPA, sGPA, MCAT, etc.) of those of you who were rejected or accepted this cycle?

I just received my MCAT score today and am weighing whether or not it's worth applying to UCSD as an out of state student.

Cheers, and congrats to those of you accepted!

I had a 32 mcat and 3.63 GPA, but am in-state. I was accepted a while back, though my girlfriend was put on hold pre-interview and was just rejected (which is really strange since she got into UCSF, UCI, and a lot of other great out-of-state schools). I don't know how they pick who they pick, but its certainly sometimes random.

I'm now trying to pick between UCI and UCSD, both have pros and cons, and I'm kinda frustrated that they didn't take my relationship into account when applying while a lot of other schools do.

Just out of curiosity, what were the basic stats (cGPA, sGPA, MCAT, etc.) of those of you who were rejected or accepted this cycle?

I just received my MCAT score today and am weighing whether or not it's worth applying to UCSD as an out of state student.

I had a 32 mcat and 3.63 GPA, but am in-state. I was accepted a while back, though my girlfriend was put on hold pre-interview and was just rejected (which is really strange since she got into UCSF, UCI, and a lot of other great out-of-state schools). I don't know how they pick who they pick, but its certainly sometimes random.

I'm now trying to pick between UCI and UCSD, both have pros and cons, and I'm kinda frustrated that they didn't take my relationship into account when applying while a lot of other schools do.

ultimate 1st world problem

ultimate 1st world problem

+10^x. I don't even know if that's a serious complaint??

And good luck to everybody still on hold. When I asked Brian, he said that of the 200-300 on hold post-interview, about 20 or so got accepted. But I think he was just referring to last year and it probably varies a bit every year. This info seems congruent with what has been previously posted on this thread.

I interviewed in September and was wait listed, but my stats are slightly below normal. I'm also OOS. The info is in my MD apps if you want to look.

Edit: After going through this cycle I realized that stats matter a whole lot less than you think they do when you begin. If you like UCSD a lot you should apply. This goes for any schools you apply to. It will make writing the mountain of secondaries that much easier if you genuinely want to attend the schools. The whole process is a crap shoot. If you reach a certain threshold for UCSD, probably around a 30-31, then it all comes down to your experiences and how you write your application. The average accepted stats are about 3.7 and a 33, but many people have been rejected with scores in the 34-37 range. There really is no average accepted/rejected stats once you are over a certain threshold.

Last edited:
+10^x. I don't even know if that's a serious complaint??

And good luck to everybody still on hold. When I asked Brian, he said that of the 200-300 on hold post-interview, about 20 or so got accepted. But I think he was just referring to last year and it probably varies a bit every year. This info seems congruent with what has been previously posted on this thread.

When I spoke to him he said it was 22 last year, 5 of which being OOS. However, that was one of the lowest years and it usually ranges from 20-50 depending on the year.

Hopefully it's more this year. UCLA is giving away a bunch of fancy scholarships. That's bound to keep students matriculating there.

Hey guys!

Best of luck to those of you who are on the waitlist!

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find the stats for percentage of UCSD students who get their first choice residency program during match?

35R, 3.77 cgpa, 3.76 sgpa, OOS, accepted late Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.