2012-2013 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also got the fattest of fat packets in the mail today :D :soexcited:

This is my second acceptance, but the first one I'm really excited about. I requested the Chicago track; where are you all interested in going?

Got the fat packet in the mail. Quite surreal!

Members don't see this ad :)

This is my second acceptance, but the first one I'm really excited about. I requested the Chicago track; where are you all interested in going?

Accepted!!!! Got my Packet today!

First acceptance. I'm going to med school!

CONGRATS!!!!!!! Must be a great feeling :) are you all in Illinois?!

Applicant in progress! Only took 6 weeks! Fingers crossed for good news :)

Me too!!!!! Whoa quite the impressive packet! congrats to the others who also got in! So excited!

Question for current students who are OOS...how are you all dealing with the high OOS tuition? 70k a year is scary to think about...

I called the office yesterday and they said that my file was reviewed but they didn't make a decision yet and would at the next meeting...

I called the office yesterday and they said that my file was reviewed but they didn't make a decision yet and would at the next meeting...

I got ~ a half dozen of those letters before I was accepted. Hang in there.

Me too!!!!! Whoa quite the impressive packet! congrats to the others who also got in! So excited!

Question for current students who are OOS...how are you all dealing with the high OOS tuition? 70k a year is scary to think about...

Woohoo!!!! I'm so happy for all of you guys!!! CONGRATS!!!! :soexcited: :soexcited: :highfive: :soexcited: :soexcited:

So ... is UIC one of your top choices guys??

Congrats to everyone who was recently accepted! Just a reminder - if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask me here or PM me. I'm currently a M4 at UIC.

I've been applicant in progress for like 3 months now

Chicago! I'd love to do the Umed program!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the packets say anything about merit scholarships, or is that determined later?

Hmmm...nothing in the mail for me yesterday. How far are you guys from Chicago?

I'm in CA!

I'm on the east coast, so I'm thinking 2 days of no flights in perhaps means my packet is a couple of days late.

EDIT: Got the fat packet this evening!! Yay!!! :soexcited:

Last edited:

Hmmm i am wondering the same thing. any current OOS students have any input?

So all I need are straight Cs....challenge accepted

Withdrawing from my interview invite. I am very sad about this because UIC was one of my top choices but I got into my top top top school. Hope that someone here gets my spot. Hold on tight guys.

Withdrawing from my interview invite. I am very sad about this because UIC was one of my top choices but I got into my top top top school. Hope that someone here gets my spot. Hold on tight guys.

that doesn't sound like something to be sad about :laugh:

can anyone comment on how they're ranking the UPR track sites? I still don't have the best grasp of the difference between Peoria and Rockford. Any insight would be really helpful, thanks!

--I know this topic was covered in other threads but I'm trying to get a few more recent opinions on how people are choosing now.

congrats everyone!

And which school is that, if I may ask [and if you feel comfortable in sharing it]!

btw ... very big big big CONGRATS!!! ;)

can anyone comment on how they're ranking the UPR track sites? I still don't have the best grasp of the difference between Peoria and Rockford. Any insight would be really helpful, thanks!

--I know this topic was covered in other threads but I'm trying to get a few more recent opinions on how people are choosing now.

congrats everyone!

I picked Peoria over Rockford, but that's mostly just because I prefer Peoria as a city. I'm also not too sure what the major differences are, since I've been focusing on the Chicago track. I've heard Peoria does great on the boards and Rockford is more geared towards primary and rural care, but I cant tell you that with certainty. Someone else can confirm it.

Hey guys I am kind of new to this website really and haven't had that many posts but I was wondering if I could get your guys advice. So I just got my interview offer today from UIC. From what I have seen online, my statistic are somewhat higher then UIC's averages(33 and 3.91). Don't get me wrong but I am happy about the interview and everything, but I was stupid and only applied to two schools, the other being Rosalind Franklin. I am not sure if I am selling myself short if I were to get accepted and go there. I was thinking about taking a year off and apply to more schools. During the time off I would work and all. What do you guys think? Also is the Chicago track full?

Last edited:
Hey guys I am kind of new to this website really and haven't had that many posts but I was wondering if I could get your guys advice. So I just got my interview offer today from UIC. From what I have seen online, my statistic are somewhat higher then UIC's averages(33 and 3.91). Don't get me wrong but I am happy about the interview and everything, but I was stupid and only applied to two schools, the other being Rosalind Franklin. I am not sure if I am selling myself short if I were to get accepted and go there. I was thinking about taking a year off and apply to more schools. During the time off I would work and all. What do you guys think? Also is the Chicago track full?

When I was going through some of the other forums, people with similar stats had actually been rejected from RFU.

Not to be a dick, but I think you might be thinking a tad highly of yourself. If you had a 36-40 MCAT and cured cancer, I'd say wait it out. Take what you can, and see if you can get in. In the end, Med School is Med School. Education is practically standardized, and all schools prepare you for the USMLE.

If you're really that interested in seeing where else you can get into, try to get accepted now and see if you can defer matriculation and apply elsewhere. At least you'll have a backup. I'm not sure if that's actually possible though, and I'm sure someone will correct me.

As for the Chicago track, I doubt it. I turned in my site preference card today to the actual office of admissions and they said it was still early.

-Sincerely,
A pompous dude who got his fat packet. :)

When I was going through some of the other forums, people with similar stats had actually been rejected from RFU.

Not to be a dick, but I think you might be thinking a tad highly of yourself. If you had a 36-40 MCAT and cured cancer, I'd say wait it out. Take what you can, and see if you can get in. In the end, Med School is Med School. Education is practically standardized, and all schools prepare you for the USMLE.

If you're really that interested in seeing where else you can get into, try to get accepted now and see if you can defer matriculation and apply elsewhere. At least you'll have a backup. I'm not sure if that's actually possible though, and I'm sure someone will correct me.

As for the Chicago track, I doubt it. I turned in my site preference card today to the actual office of admissions and they said it was still early.

-Sincerely,
A pompous dude who got his fat packet. :)

I agree. Ride out this cyle, see how far you get, then decide if its worth matriculating this year. In the meantime, do whatever you were planning on doing for a gap year (in case you decide to re-apply...or need to re-apply). But definately don't take anything for granted if you get in this cycle.

Hey guys, interview coming up soon and had a few questions!

What is the percentage of students that get into the Chicago track? Almost all of my clinical and nonclinical experiences have been urban, and I hope to practice in an urban community so I'm really hoping for that Chicago location.

Can you transfer between tracks?

As an OOS, how easy is it to gain instate citizenship? I was reading on the website and it seemed quite difficult to do (AKA living in IL without gainful employment or education aims?).

Lastly, interview advice? Typical questions or anything else?

Sincere thanks.

Sorry if I came off as conceited, didn't mean to. I guess then my question is that, if medical school is medical school, why there is such a preponderance and discussion of ranking in the arena (e.i. USA Rankings, Princeton Ranking, etc )? I am completely ignorant in this regard. I was told that the school that you go play a factor on where you get residency. Is this boloney? Thanks for the input! (FYI I don't think deferring works like how you implied, I wish it was though :)

Sorry if I came off as conceited, didn't mean to. I guess then my question is that, if medical school is medical school, why there is such a preponderance and discussion of ranking in the arena (e.i. USA Rankings, Princeton Ranking, etc )? I am completely ignorant in this regard. I was told that the school that you go play a factor on where you get residency. Is this boloney? Thanks for the input! (FYI I don't think deferring works like how you implied, I wish it was though :)
Those lists have more to do with name, research dollars, etc. As far as your prospects of medical school, your concerns should be about what residency specialty and geographic location that you're interested in. If you want to be an ENT doc, you can do that just fine coming out of RFU (as long as your exam scores are good), and you'll be paid the same as any other ENT doc coming out of anywhere else (it's just how medicine works). What you need to focus on is finding a medical school where you're comfortable, because then, you can study better, and studying is mainly what you're going to be doing. Your performance on the boards will have a higher impact on you than the school you went to.

BTW, there isn't such a heavy discussion of ranking. That's just something people on SDN like to talk about. This isn't law school. This is medical school. That stuff doesn't matter all that much.

And just for reference sake, my GPA is higher than yours, and my MCAT is a good deal higher than yours, and I'm heavily considering med school here. You would be lucky to get into U of I (or RFU, go check their thread, most people got waitlisted, not accepted).

You're not selling yourself short. Not by a long shot. I wouldn't be considering reapplying next year because I "sold myself short". You may have to reapply next year by only applying to two schools, and ruining your chances. I would hope not, but getting into any med school is HARD. There are schools out there with average stats way below mine who outright rejected me pre-interview. That's the norm.

What is the percentage of students that get into the Chicago track? Almost all of my clinical and nonclinical experiences have been urban, and I hope to practice in an urban community so I'm really hoping for that Chicago location.

As an OOS, how easy is it to gain instate citizenship? I was reading on the website and it seemed quite difficult to do (AKA living in IL without gainful employment or education aims?).

Sincere thanks.

No offense or anything, but I've just been wondering why people who are not from Illinois agree to pay UIC's outrageous high OOS tuition prices??????

Out of 300, 175 end up on chicago track. Doesn't matter what experience you have, you can submit your preference card and contrary to myth, despite being early in season, you can end up with UPR track. Does it suck? Not that much. Rockford and Peoria are great campuses. Rockford just got renovated and had an addition to the building worth $30-40 mil.

You CAN NOT transfer between tracks. Only campuses you can potentially transfer between are Peoria and Rockford at end of 1st year. While being in Urbana at end of 1st year, you can petition to transfer between those two. Another thing is you can do your "entire" 4th year essentially in Chicago in form of away rotations or just rotations in UI system.

It is quite difficult to have illinois residency. Go figure.

Typical interview questions. Nothing earth shattering. If you are from OOS, be ready to prove that you are dedicated and willing to end up in Illinois at UIC (regardless of track) if accepted.

Sincere thanks.

Out of 300, 175 end up on chicago track. Doesn't matter what experience you have, you can submit your preference card and contrary to myth, despite being early in season, you can end up with UPR track. Does it suck? Not that much. Rockford and Peoria are great campuses. Rockford just got renovated and had an addition to the building worth $30-40 mil.

You CAN NOT transfer between tracks. Only campuses you can potentially transfer between are Peoria and Rockford at end of 1st year. While being in Urbana at end of 1st year, you can petition to transfer between those two. Another thing is you can do your "entire" 4th year essentially in Chicago in form of away rotations or just rotations in UI system.

It is quite difficult to have illinois residency. Go figure.

Typical interview questions. Nothing earth shattering. If you are from OOS, be ready to prove that you are dedicated and willing to end up in Illinois at UIC (regardless of track) if accepted.

Basically this. If you want to be in Chicago, make sure you have good reasons to support it (like your interest in urban medicine, etc). One good thing to bring up would be the Urban Medicine program (UMed). It's an amazing program (I'm in it), and you can look at the details about it on UIC's website. Please don't just say that you want to be in Chicago. If you're not assigned Chicago, you can always petition it after May 15th. I know a few people who got their track switched through petition.

Basically this. If you want to be in Chicago, make sure you have good reasons to support it (like your interest in urban medicine, etc). One good thing to bring up would be the Urban Medicine program (UMed). It's an amazing program (I'm in it), and you can look at the details about it on UIC's website. Please don't just say that you want to be in Chicago. If you're not assigned Chicago, you can always petition it after May 15th. I know a few people who got their track switched through petition.

True, but can't bank on being petitioned successfully to Chicago campus unless your spouse's job is dependent upon it or you have serious family obligations (like SERIOUS)! For every one petition going through, there are MANY MANY that get rejected. Not trying to scare anyone, but just stating the truth upfront.

True, but can't bank on being petitioned successfully to Chicago campus unless your spouse's job is dependent upon it or you have serious family obligations (like SERIOUS)! For every one petition going through, there are MANY MANY that get rejected. Not trying to scare anyone, but just stating the truth upfront.

Thanks for the reply. How are you selected to the different tracks? First come first serve? Based upon profile and the best fit?

Has anyone gone from "application in process" to "applicant in process" to "application is in process"? I am probably now on hold right?

yep that just happened to, I got changed back to application is in process yesterday. It means that the ADCOM will keep reviewing our files at each meeting.

Did you hear that from the ADCOM? I was thinking of calling them today and making sure. Good luck btw, hope you hear good news in a couple of weeks!

Did you hear that from the ADCOM? I was thinking of calling them today and making sure. Good luck btw, hope you hear good news in a couple of weeks!

I just called, and they said they are updating the system now, which is why our statuses changed. If the admissions committee makes a decision, a person in admissions said interview invite may show up, but we should wait a couple of days-weeks, she wasn't sure.

*excitedly checks status*

no change. :shrug:. Hopefully soon haha!

yep that just happened to, I got changed back to application is in process yesterday. It means that the ADCOM will keep reviewing our files at each meeting.

Hmm, but our chances of interviewing have gone down, I guess? Mine never seemed to go to 'applicant in process', but it's at 'application is in process' now. :( Want some state school love...

Thanks for the reply. How are you selected to the different tracks? First come first serve? Based upon profile and the best fit?

They say first come first serve, but that doesn't always happen! I know of people who were accepted in Sept/Oct (very early in season) and ended up with UPR track. I think there are many things that go into the decision, but I don't think anyone exactly knows what..

Going from "applicant in process" back to "application in process" generally does mean you application has been put on hold. However, if they said they're updating their system, I would just wait and see if it changes again. Nothing is certain with our system, unfortunately.

Going from "applicant in process" back to "application in process" generally does mean you application has been put on hold. However, if they said they're updating their system, I would just wait and see if it changes again. Nothing is certain with our system, unfortunately.

So how long are you on hold for? Do they just look at you every month? and I'm guessing its better than the decision has been made status?:confused:

Ditto!

Accepted!!!! Got my Packet today!

First acceptance. I'm going to med school!

So how long are you on hold for? Do they just look at you every month? and I'm guessing its better than the decision has been made status?:confused:

I believe so. It just means that they decided to interview other candidates before you, and have put your file aside for later. Don't quote me on it though. Good luck! :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.