2012-2013 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I remember lurking around this thread 4 years ago when I was applying to med schools. I am currently a 4th year at UIC. Just interviewed some candidates this past week (won't say which campus for sake of anonymity). If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask me here or PM me. Gluck to all who are applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I remember lurking around this thread 4 years ago when I was applying to med schools. I am currently a 4th year at UIC. Just interviewed some candidates this past week (won't say which campus for sake of anonymity). If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask me here or PM me. Gluck to all who are applying!

Thanks! Expecting to hear back any day now ("Awaiting Correspondance") and looks like I might actually have the chance to decide between schools. How have you felt while rotating and being around different med school students that UIC prepares their students for being in the actual hospital setting and being able to meet residents'/attendings' standards? My question comes from my shadowing experience where there was a clear difference between med students from different schools. (granted it was a high reputation medical school vs. an osteopathic school)

Did you take part in research during your 4 years. If so how do you recommend going about finding opportunities.

As a pre-med student everyone has already started referring to and thinking of me as "the doctor." People will ask me about things that I don't know enough about. How do you deal with this? It seems recently all people talk to me about is medical school, medical school interviews, MCAT, residency, future debt, etc...

Thanks! Expecting to hear back any day now ("Awaiting Correspondance") and looks like I might actually have the chance to decide between schools. How have you felt while rotating and being around different med school students that UIC prepares their students for being in the actual hospital setting and being able to meet residents'/attendings' standards? My question comes from my shadowing experience where there was a clear difference between med students from different schools. (granted it was a high reputation medical school vs. an osteopathic school)

I had couple options to choose from which medical schools from Chicagoland area to attend, but I chose UIC. UIC being public school caters to a wide variety of population which ends up benefiting you as it results in more hands-on patient exposure. Sure you can go to a top notch school, but if you are always in shadow of someone, you are not going to be able to confidently work up patient in a way that most students coming out of UIC are. I have worked with numerous attendings/residents at various hospitals and never had a problem meeting their standards. I think that question is very subjective as you are result of what you put in. There are numerous students who put in bare minimum of work needed with hope of getting by, but it shows that in their academic and clinical grades.

Did you take part in research during your 4 years. If so how do you recommend going about finding opportunities.

All 4 campuses have abundant research opportunities. Your primary goal right now is to secure a spot in medical school. Worry about research opportunities once you get in. In fact, most campuses will encourage you to pursue some research. 1st year is very hard to be involved in research because of sheer amount of information thrown at you.

As a pre-med student everyone has already started referring to and thinking of me as "the doctor." People will ask me about things that I don't know enough about. How do you deal with this? It seems recently all people talk to me about is medical school, medical school interviews, MCAT, residency, future debt, etc...

This is quite common. It will actually get worse when you are in your 1st or 2nd year of medical school. You would know some amount of medical knowledge, but no where near to diagnose some of the things. In fact, if somebody asks me about my opinion today, I would tell them what I am thinking, but to always consult their physician before they make any decisions or change/stop taking meds. You are not a doctor yet, neither am I. Throughout medical school, you are always a medical student or student doctor.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had couple options to choose from which medical schools from Chicagoland area to attend, but I chose UIC. UIC being public school caters to a wide variety of population which ends up benefiting you as it results in more hands-on patient exposure. Sure you can go to a top notch school, but if you are always in shadow of someone, you are not going to be able to confidently work up patient in a way that most students coming out of UIC are. I have worked with numerous attendings/residents at various hospitals and never had a problem meeting their standards. I think that question is very subjective as you are result of what you put in. There are numerous students who put in bare minimum of work needed with hope of getting by, but it shows that in their academic and clinical grades.

Very true. Thanks!

This is quite common. It will actually get worse when you are in your 1st or 2nd year of medical school. You would know some amount of medical knowledge, but no where near to diagnose some of the things. In fact, if somebody asks me about my opinion today, I would tell them what I am thinking, but to always consult their physician before they make any decisions or change/stop taking meds. You are not a doctor yet, neither am I. Throughout medical school, you are always a medical student or student doctor.

Yep, I guess I'll just have to learn how to deal with it and work my butt off to be able to answer those questions one day.

What field are you interested in?
Where did you spend most of your time studying as an M1/M2. Estone? Coffee shop? Other facility? Home?
Is there much time to participate in student run organizations?

Sorry if too many questions :D

I had couple options to choose from which medical schools from Chicagoland area to attend, but I chose UIC. UIC being public school caters to a wide variety of population which ends up benefiting you as it results in more hands-on patient exposure.

I agree!

I am just wondering about one thing. It looks like Cook County hospital has primary affiliation with Rush, and minor affiliation with UIC. Does this affiliation make a huge difference when it comes to clinical rotations?

And as many people know, there is a great rivalry going on between Rush and UIC. lol. You are already M4 at UIC, but let's assume you were a pre-med and you were accepted at both UIC and Rush. So if you had a chance to choose between Rush and UIC, which one would you attend? And why?

I am really sorry for asking these many questions, and wasting your time, but, as you know, your reply will be really useful to many of us in this forum. Thank you so much for your time! We all really appreciate it. :)

What field are you interested in?
Where did you spend most of your time studying as an M1/M2. Estone? Coffee shop? Other facility? Home?
Is there much time to participate in student run organizations?

Sorry if too many questions :D

Rads!
Spent most time at home (80%) or library (20%)
I participated in 5+ organizations. You have enough time to continue having your life outside med school. Trick is to balance and not overdo studying or partying. You will get a hang of it once you spend few months in med school. There were only very few weekends where I had to tell my friends I can't hang out with them because of exams. Again, I anticipated wasting time on weekends, and tried to compensate for it by studying on weekdays.

I agree!

I am just wondering about one thing. It looks like Cook County hospital has primary affiliation with Rush, and minor affiliation with UIC. Does this affiliation make a huge difference when it comes to clinical rotations?

And as many people know, there is a great rivalry going on between Rush and UIC. lol. You are already M4 at UIC, but let's assume you were a pre-med and you were accepted at both UIC and Rush. So if you had a chance to choose between Rush and UIC, which one would you attend? And why?

I am really sorry for asking these many questions, and wasting your time, but, as you know, your reply will be really useful to many of us in this forum. Thank you so much for your time! We all really appreciate it. :)

I got into both. I chose UIC. One of the best decisions ever made. This is true for medical school, and not necessarily for residencies which you guys have long ways to go before.

Last edited:
I got into Rush and UIC. I chose UIC. One of the best decisions ever made. This is true for medical school, and not necessarily for residencies which you guys have long ways to go before.

Hey radpad,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am just wondering why did you choose UIC over Rush? Any particular reason for that decision?

Once again, your reply will be really helpful. Thanks again! :)

Hey radpad,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am just wondering why did you choose UIC over Rush? Any particular reason for that decision?

Once again, your reply will be really helpful. Thanks again! :)

First UIC is a public school compared to Rush. As I mentioned few posts earlier, patient exposure and degree of hands-on experience can not be a substitute for top notch faculty or any other thing. You will be seeing patients much before your 3rd year rotations while being at UIC. This might not seem big right now, but it will once you start med school.

Many campuses of UIC for medical school (Rockford/Peoria/Urbana) have only 25-50 students/campus. This gives much more individualized attention to each student. For example, if a student is not doing well on exams, somebody from Dean's office will contact you and ask you if you need help, tutoring sessions, etc. Plus, with fewer number of students, attendings really have a better opportunity of knowing you and writing you a thorough LOR (very imp for residency). Except Chicago campus, most other campuses don't have residents. So you are the first one to go see a patient, evaluate them, and present to the attending as opposed to most places with residents.

Rads!
Spent most time at home (80%) or library (20%)
I participated in 5+ organizations. You have enough time to continue having your life outside med school. Trick is to balance and not overdo studying or partying. You will get a hang of it once you spend few months in med school. There were only very few weekends where I had to tell my friends I can't hang out with them because of exams. Again, I anticipated wasting time on weekends, and tried to compensate for it by studying on weekdays.

This. I'm still having trouble finding a balance, but that's because I spent the last year doing my MPH and haven't hardcore studied for a while. But, you quickly figure out what you need to do. For example, this past weekend, I studied Friday afternoon, went out at night, volunteered Saturday morning, went to a concert in the evening, and studied all of Sunday. You need to make time for the things you enjoy, otherwise you'll go crazy. But, I'm one of those people who is content with passing, and don't really feel a need to honor everything.

This. I'm still having trouble finding a balance, but that's because I spent the last year doing my MPH and haven't hardcore studied for a while. But, you quickly figure out what you need to do. For example, this past weekend, I studied Friday afternoon, went out at night, volunteered Saturday morning, went to a concert in the evening, and studied all of Sunday. You need to make time for the things you enjoy, otherwise you'll go crazy. But, I'm one of those people who is content with passing, and don't really feel a need to honor everything.

Hey phnerd, are you MD/MPH? I was interested in that program but didn't sign up through AMCAS. Would it still be possible to apply for the program if I get accepted for the MD program so I could start in the summer?

Hey phnerd, are you MD/MPH? I was interested in that program but didn't sign up through AMCAS. Would it still be possible to apply for the program if I get accepted for the MD program so I could start in the summer?

No, I did my MPH before starting med school. And you don't need to officially commit to MD/MPH until your M2 year (someone correct me if I'm wrong). They have a dual-degree info session during M1 year which you can attend and decide which program you want to do. I think you sit down with an advisor somewhere towards the end of M1 year, and are signed up for the track sometime during M2. You then do your MPH year after your M3 year. So no worries, you still have lots of time!

No, I did my MPH before starting med school. And you don't need to officially commit to MD/MPH until your M2 year (someone correct me if I'm wrong). They have a dual-degree info session during M1 year which you can attend and decide which program you want to do. I think you sit down with an advisor somewhere towards the end of M1 year, and are signed up for the track sometime during M2. You then do your MPH year after your M3 year. So no worries, you still have lots of time!

Correct! There is an info session about this during M2 orientation!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there are 24hr facilities available/room access? I tend to do my best work late at night.

Does anyone know if decision letters have already been sent out? I dont have a date by "Additional Correspondence" tab

Does anyone know if there are 24hr facilities available/room access? I tend to do my best work late at night.

The Health Sciences library tends to close obscenely early. The undergrad library is 24/7, but, if you don't want to walk that far, there are facilities nearby you can use. The research building as well as the COM have study rooms you can book for during the day/evening/night. The ones in the research building are amazing, and that's where I usually study. They have huge tables and whiteboard, projectors, etc. If you can't get a room, there's always Edelstone, which has a quiet study room.

Does anyone know if decision letters have already been sent out? I dont have a date by "Additional Correspondence" tab

You should allow up to 2 weeks after you get your Final Decision Made status to receive any mail

Thats BS, I want it EARLIER

/s

Haha. It's quite variable. Some people got it much earlier, some people got it later. Though, don't go calling the admissions office about it until the 2 week mark has passed, otherwise they won't help you.

Haha. It's quite variable. Some people got it much earlier, some people got it later. Though, don't go calling the admissions office about it until the 2 week mark has passed, otherwise they won't help you.

Yeah, someone mentioned in earlier years that they can come as soon as a week after the decision is made. I assume its faster earlier in the cycle. Really though, it seems like as long as you got the additional correspondence, you're essentially in.

I guess I can assume "additional correspondence" is you corresponding with the COM.

As a side question, has anyone NOT gotten in when they had that?

As a side question, has anyone NOT gotten in when they had that?
good question. For now I think we are assuming (tab -> in) is true. I am wondering about the statement (in -> tab) or (!tab -> !in). The negation of this statement would be (!tab and in), so has anyone gotten in without getting the tab?

Anyone know what date they have reviewed apps to?

I submitted early August and have been applicant in progress ever since then. I think I'm going to call tomorrow, so I'll let you know what I find out.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app

good question. For now I think we are assuming (tab -> in) is true. I am wondering about the statement (in -> tab) or (!tab -> !in). The negation of this statement would be (!tab and in), so has anyone gotten in without getting the tab?

I think there was a case a few years ago, but I'm not positive. Regardless, it's been the general trend. It's not a confirmation, so you shouldn't take it as such. Just use it as a fact that you should be checking your mail frequently over the next few weeks. :xf::luck:

Has anyone gotten any II lately? Also, do they only change application statuses on Thursdays?

I called the admissions office last Thursday about my application and she said that they looked at my application and I should hear back within the next week or two regarding an II or rejection. I had the status change about a month ago.

I called the admissions office last Thursday about my application and she said that they looked at my application and I should hear back within the next week or two regarding an II or rejection. I had the status change about a month ago.

Hoping to see a change in my status soon as well! Haven't been many II's lately, according to SDN, haha

Looking through last year's thread, looks like we can expect decisions in the mail Friday-ish

Has anyone gotten any II lately? Also, do they only change application statuses on Thursdays?

Yes to thursday only change! It has been like that since when I applied 4 years ago. Not sure if they changed it now, but I doubt it.

The only change statuses on Thursdays but II can come anyday I believe....mine came on a Tuesday!

I'd LOVE to interview at my state school. Really hoping and praying for an II soon!

Called today since I've been complete since 8/10 and applicant in progress for a very long time. Admissions person I talked to was very nice and told me my application was out "with the screeners at this time." And that I should call back on Thursday as they might have more information then. So do applications go to an individual screener and depending on how fast that person reads through apps is how long it will take to hear back?

Any of you guys applying to Illinois have below-average stats? I want to know if I'm alone here.
cGPA: 3.58 sGPA: 3.48 MCAT: 29

You are not alone; but keep in mind that stats aren't all they look at.

I honestly don't know what my science GPA is (undergrad: biomedical engineering, Northwestern University; grad: MPH, UMDNJ-School of Public Health; grad: PhD program, Epidemiology, Michigan State University - withdrawn), but my overall undergrad GPA is horrendous (i.e. sub-3.0); my graduate GPA is far better.

MCAT: 34R (08/2005: 13 phys, 11 verb, 10 bio sci); 32R (01/2009: 11 phys, 12 verb, 9 biol sci); 34P (07/2010: 12 phys, 11 verb, 11 bio sci)

So those are my stats. My GPA (at least my undergraduate GPA) is well below average. Your stats aren't terribly below average (only slightly so depending on who you ask), so I wouldn't be too concerned. Your application would be helped greatly if you're legally an IL resident (I am, and, in addition to my extracurriculars, I think it boosted consideration of my application).

I Interviewed for UIC 2012 October 19 in Urbana; got the "Additional Correspondences" tab and the "final decision made on 10-25-2012" message in my application status, so I'm either admitted outright or waitlisted there.

I'd say hang in there because the application cycle is far from over.

Last edited:
But stats aren't all they look at.

I honestly don't know what my science GPA is (undergrad: biomedical engineering, Northwestern University; grad: MPH, UMDNJ-School of Public Health; grad: PhD program, Epidemiology, Michigan State University - withdrawn), but my overall undergrad GPA is horrendous (i.e. sub-3.0); my graduate GPA is far better.

MCAT: 34R (08/2005: 13 phys, 11 verb, 10 bio sci); 32R (01/2009: 11 phys, 12 verb, 9 biol sci); 34P (07/2010: 12 phys, 11 verb, 11 bio sci)

So those are my stats. My GPA (at least undergraduate) is well below average. Your stats aren't terribly below average (only slightly so depending on who you ask), so I wouldn't be too concerned. Your application would be helped greatly if you're legally an IL resident (I am, and, in addition to my extracurriculars, I'm sure it helped).

I Interviewed for UIC 2012 October 19 in Urbana; got the "Additional Correspondences" tab and the "final decision made on 10-25-2012" message in my application status, so I'm either admitted outright or waitlisted there. I'd say hang in there because the application cycle is far from over.

Wow, my post was from 5 months ago. I appreciate the response. Since my post I retook the MCAT and got a 35. I also got accepted at Indiana (I applied as an Indiana resident on my AMCAS, as I've lived there the past several years). It's a shame I couldn't apply as an Illinois resident, but I thought that since I grew up in IL and I am currently working in IL during my gap year, that it would mean something with UIC. Oh well, I guess if I haven't heard anything since August then UIC has probably overlooked my application.

Wow, my post was from 5 months ago. I appreciate the response. Since my post I retook the MCAT and got a 35. I also got accepted at Indiana (I applied as an Indiana resident on my AMCAS, as I've lived there the past several years). It's a shame I couldn't apply as an Illinois resident, but I thought that since I grew up in IL and I am currently working in IL during my gap year, that it would mean something with UIC. Oh well, I guess if I haven't heard anything since August then UIC has probably overlooked my application.

1) Congrats on the MCAT - I take it that the med schools to which you're applying all have this score now?

2) I wouldn't write off UIC just yet. Even on UIC threads from previous years you see posts from people who interviewed after February or March of an application cycle and received an admission, and given your (vastly improved) MCAT score, I think you stand a fantastic chance of getting at least an interview. From what I can tell, the ADCOM only meets once a month, so depending on when your application was marked complete, it might just be taking a long time for the ADCOM to get to it.

1) Congrats on the MCAT - I take it that the med schools to which you're applying all have this score now?

2) I wouldn't write off UIC just yet. Even on UIC threads from previous years you see posts from people who interviewed after February or March of an application cycle and received an admission, and given your (vastly improved) MCAT score, I think you stand a fantastic chance of getting at least an interview.

yeah thanks, I don't want to hijack this thread and make it a "what are my chances" discussion. In short, I am much more relaxed now that I have an acceptance and I am just waiting the rest of the cycle out and seeing what happens.

(and yes all schools have my new score)
Thanks again for the response.

Hello Friends,

Any new updates after those "Additional Correspondence" tabs?? Has anyone received CBC email yet? :xf:

Last edited:
yeah thanks, I don't want to hijack this thread and make it a "what are my chances" discussion. In short, I am much more relaxed now that I have an acceptance and I am just waiting the rest of the cycle out and seeing what happens.

(and yes all schools have my new score)
Thanks again for the response.

Congrats on your new score and your acceptance! I would also tell you to not lose faith with UIC. My GPA was a bit better than yours but my MCAT was much lower (still in the 30's). I didn't get an interview until late January. Interviewed end of Feb and got in end of March, so there's still a shot!

Hello Friends,

Any new updates after those "Additional Correspondence" tabs?? Has anyone received CBC email yet? :xf:

Keep in mind that those who already have acceptances may not get the CBC email if another school has done your background check already.

Hello Friends,

Nope. Nothing here. I keep checking my mail...granted I'm out here in California! But no CBC email either...although I've gotten in elsewhere so idk if they already did a background check on me

Congrats on your new score and your acceptance! I would also tell you to not lose faith with UIC. My GPA was a bit better than yours but my MCAT was much lower (still in the 30's). I didn't get an interview until late January. Interviewed end of Feb and got in end of March, so there's still a shot!

Thanks, I won't lose hope!

Keep in mind that those who already have acceptances may not get the CBC email if another school has done your background check already.

Nope. Nothing here. I keep checking my mail...granted I'm out here in California! But no CBC email either...although I've gotten in elsewhere so idk if they already did a background check on me

Thanks for your replies guys. I've also gotten in other Chicago school, so I guess that's the reason why we haven't received that CBC email yet. :thumbup:

there is no cbc email before January this year except for EDP

I just saw this in the 2009-2010 UIC thread; apparently CBC emails didn't go out until January 2010 for that cycle except for early decision admittances. I don't have any other admissions (yet), so I don't think people aren't seeing them because of the multiple admissions thing.

Oh, here we go:

"Background checks will begin after January 1 for all conditionally accepted applicants, except for Early Decision Program (EDP) applicants. If you were conditionally accepted under the Early Decision Program, your background check will begin immediately upon your conditional acceptance.

If you are placed on a participating school's alternative list, that school may request that a background check be procured.

When your background check is started, Certiphi Screening, Inc. will send an e-mail with additional information to your preferred e-mail address." - from the email regarding the CBC program I got from AMCAS in June

So what I take from this is that those of us who are not early decision (i.e. the vast majority of us, I believe) will get an email about the CBC after the checks begin in January.

Thanks for your replies guys. I've also gotten in other Chicago school, so I guess that's the reason why we haven't received that CBC email yet. :thumbup:

If you don't mind my asking, where else did you get in?

when does the "additional correspondence" tab appear? Is it at the same time your status changes to final decision made, or a couple days after? Last week my status was "A final decision was made on your application on ." and now a date has been added: "A final decision was made on your application on 10-29-12." but still no tab :(

so if you got a tab and a final decision status it is possibly a waitlist? I was under the impression from the threads in the past year that it meant acceptance. Please correct me if i'm wrong! Maybe i'm just trying to make myself feel better...

so if you got a tab and a final decision status it is possibly a waitlist? I was under the impression from the threads in the past year that it meant acceptance. Please correct me if i'm wrong! Maybe i'm just trying to make myself feel better...

As best as I can tell, you're right about it meaning acceptance. I think it's just that no one wants to assume they've been accepted until they actually get the fat packet, just in case things aren't as we've been told. Which is a smart approach. I got ahead of myself and told my family already, so I'm in trouble if it doesn't pan out :laugh:

Haha same here! Last year first people to receive their letters was exactly a week after the status change, so I am hoping for this Thursday to be the big day to make our assumtions true! Goodluck and congratulations to all in advance!

I'm going to be checking the mail obsessively...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using SDN Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.