2012-2013 University of Maryland Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Very excited to apply here next month. Much love for University of Maryland. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone expand on the required 8-week rural experience? i really like the way U of Maryland sounds, but I'm not really interested in primary care. Does the "rural" experience have to be with a general practitioner?

how does Maryland feel about OOS applicants??

I was creeping on some of the older UMD threads and saw this as one of the secondary questions: Have you done independent research or study?

Anybody know what they mean by that? I've done research in several labs but I'm not really sure what classifies as "independent". Hopefully, they won't ask that question this year :)

lookin for some OOS love!!

How competitive is Maryland for OOS? I know they're OOS-friendly as far as # accepted but not sure about competitiveness. Also, how generous is financial aid (grants, subsidized loans, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad :)
same boat as everyone else. haven't received a secondary yet.

Still no secondary here. It's kinda nice, gives me a chance to catch up on everyone else's secondaries.

Would you mind posting the questions? Thanks!

1.) Are you planning on taking a future MCAT? Yes No

2.) Please describe and explain below any academic problems which you might have had while in college and/or graduate or professional school.
Please include withdrawals, incompletes, poor grades, etc.

(1000 character max)1000

3.) Have you done independent research or study? (We are looking for research that you did outside of the course/classroom requirement) Yes No

4.) Has your education to date been continuous other than vacations? Yes No

5.) Did you graduate in 2012? Yes No

6.) Have you ever withdrawn from or been dismissed from any educational institution or place of
employment for reason of academic or disciplinary misconduct? Yes No

7.) Have you ever been the subject of disciplinary action that did not result
in dismissal from school or place of employment? Yes No

8.) Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense?

Note: Any clinical training site may screen students in the same manner in which the site screens
employees. Students may be required to have an additional health examination, be tested for drugs
or be fingerprinted for a criminal background clearance before beginning placement. Students who
cannot pass training site clearance requirements may not be able to fulfill the essential requirements
needed to obtain a degree.
Yes No

9.) Have you previously met with a University of Maryland School of Medicine
Admissions staff member at an Open House, College Fair, Conference, School visit, etc.? Yes No

10a.) If you are submitting a premedical committee packet please write the name of the college/university.

10b.) If you are submitting individual letters or additional letters outside of the committee packet please list each letter writer separately.

Last Name:
First Name:

Last Name First Name

11.) Course Requirements

***Required Courses Date Completed/To Be Completed English (6 Semester hours) Biological Sciences (8 Semester hours) Inorganic Sciences (8 Semester hours) Organic Sciences (8 Semester hours) Physics (8 Semester hours)

12.) Work Experience

Employer:

Work Description:

Start Date:

End Date:

Presently Employed

Hours Per Week:

Employer Work Description Start Date End Date Hours Per Week

13.) Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine.

(1500 character max)1500

14.) Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service.

(1500 character max)1500

15.) What does it mean to enter into a profession?

(1500 character max)1500

^ Top
zaplogo.gif
Zap Solutions Inc © 2012 | Powered by
amplogo.gif

Anybody else encountering glitches in the secondary app?
The photo just won't upload no matter what and the course information chart won't let me put anything but July 2012 for the date completed....anybody else having these problems?

Is anyone in the same boat with me and didn't get a secondary yet?

I talked to Dr. Foxwell (associate dean of the adcom) at the NIH school fair on Friday and he said they were having issues with the secondary and that it would be going out this week. As promissed I received mine this morning. So don't worry, they just started to go out.

I talked to Dr. Foxwell (associate dean of the adcom) at the NIH school fair on Friday and he said they were having issues with the secondary and that it would be going out this week. As promissed I received mine this morning. So don't worry, they just started to go out.

Thanks for asking! Wasn't really worried about not getting a secondary from them. Was just worried that maybe my email filtered the secondary (it's been having problems).

I just wanted to give a glimpse of why you should choose Maryland Med
songht1.jpg
song2.jpg
song16.jpg
zamz1.jpg

Can't see anything...

Last edited:
"Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine. "

I have this down on my primary as the most significant experience - I feel like I'm beating a dead horse rehashing this.

"Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine. "

I have this down on my primary as the most significant experience - I feel like I'm beating a dead horse rehashing this.

Yeah, I feel like this is unavoidable :/ Try and say something different about it?

Yeah I'm kinda disappointed by the first two prompts. I have definitely answered those exact questions in my personal statement/most meaningful activities. Don't know how to go about doing this without being very repetitive.

Anybody else encountering glitches in the secondary app?
The photo just won't upload no matter what and the course information chart won't let me put anything but July 2012 for the date completed....anybody else having these problems?

Those are the exact same problems I have and then my internet freezes. I'm going to work on the essays in the meantime and hopefully they fix the issues.

I just wrote an essay about Spider-Man for the profession question... LOL. I think I explained my point quite well. Hopefully the adcoms get a kick out of it.

Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile

I just wrote an essay about Spider-Man for the profession question... LOL. I think I explained my point quite well. Hopefully the adcoms get a kick out of it.

Was it something along the lines of "Joining a profession is like getting superpowers, and with those powers comes great responsibility..."

Those are the exact same problems I have and then my internet freezes. I'm going to work on the essays in the meantime and hopefully they fix the issues.

I tried to do the application at work on IE and experienced the same issue. Just did it on my own laptop with Chrome, and it works beautifully.

Having same problem with the photo, tried everything not sure what to do. Emailed admissions and their suggestion that the photo was too big didn't work

Straight from the app directions:

"5. You must upload a photo to your application in order to certify. If you have trouble uploading your picture, please ask for help from someone you know."

HAHA

This is awesome!

Woahhhh, that is sooo weird! So did I! With great power comes great responsibility??

So did anyone else get this email about a glitch in the payment system? I had a fee waiver... What gives?

EDIT: I was just told that Maryland does not accept fee waivers for the secondary. This is news to me.

Last edited:
So did anyone else get this email about a glitch in the payment system? I had a fee waiver... What gives?

EDIT: I was just told that Maryland does not accept fee waivers for the secondary. This is news to me.

I got that too. I actually check my account yesterday and everything was "not submitted" just figured it was a glitch and got the email today. I have a fee waiver also and found it strange that they don't accept them. It let me submit so I assumed they did in fact accept them, guess not. Maryland likes their cash, but I guess they also just want serious applicants. Average indebtedness coming out for OOS is about twice as high as most schools. I figure the app fee is a trade off for me because I can drive to the interview.

Re-submitting now. Good thing their secondary saves the info after submitting the first time.

I got that too. I actually check my account yesterday and everything was "not submitted" just figured it was a glitch and got the email today. I have a fee waiver also and found it strange that they don't accept them. It let me submit so I assumed they did in fact accept them, guess not. Maryland likes their cash, but I guess they also just want serious applicants. Average indebtedness coming out for OOS is about twice as high as most schools. I figure the app fee is a trade off for me because I can drive to the interview.

I think I might hold onto my money now. I'm OOS (PA), and Maryland wasn't really high on my list. I need to think about this...

I think I might hold onto my money now. I'm OOS (PA), and Maryland wasn't really high on my list. I need to think about this...

I'd consider it. I don't know if you've seen the campus but I live in DC and I've gone up to Baltimore a few time and the campus is really nice. It's dead center down town so if you have any interest in ER or trauma you will get good training. One of the girls from my lab went there last year and she loves it. I wasn't planning on applying there but I did and it's probably in my top 5 schools now.

I'd consider it. I don't know if you've seen the campus but I live in DC and I've gone up to Baltimore a few time and the campus is really nice. It's dead center down town so if you have any interest in ER or trauma you will get good training. One of the girls from my lab went there last year and she loves it. I wasn't planning on applying there but I did and it's probably in my top 5 schools now.

I got paid yesterday and saw it as a sign. Sent them their eighty... Hopefully it was worth it!

Marked as complete. I'm pretty happy about this turnaround--last year it took them over a month to mark me as complete (granted I applied in October).

anyone else really like the secondary website? this was my favorite yet! I know it seems kinda silly, but I'm really big on websites... I feel like it makes them look put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.