2012-2013 University of Maryland Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone else really like the secondary website? this was my favorite yet! I know it seems kinda silly, but I'm really big on websites... I feel like it makes them look put together.

I think it's the same format as Rochester, NYU, and a couple of others...

Members don't see this ad.

Is anybody else having trouble submitting the secondary? It keeps telling me that question #2 (about academic difficulties and poor grades, etc) is required, even though I don't have anything to say in this section...

Is anybody else having trouble submitting the secondary? It keeps telling me that question #2 (about academic difficulties and poor grades, etc) is required, even though I don't have anything to say in this section...

I just wrote N/A in that section and it didn't give me any problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you go to the status page, it says that my transcripts from my 2 universities have not been received. This is irrelevant right? We don't need to send them transcripts, correct? Thanks.

Yeah mine say the same... I'm assuming it's not a problem ?

Just got an email from Foxwell. My application is being processed. Hoping for a quick decision, tomorrow would be fantastic!

Just got an email from Foxwell. My application is being processed. Hoping for a quick decision, tomorrow would be fantastic!

I think I got the same email (the one that begins, "We have received your second stage application and begun to process it.")

I submitted my application a while ago on 7/24, so I'm assuming this means that the ADCOMs are looking at our apps now?

I think I got the same email (the one that begins, "We have received your second stage application and begun to process it.")

I submitted my application a while ago on 7/24, so I'm assuming this means that the ADCOMs are looking at our apps now?

I think so, I wonder when the first invites will go out. I'm guessing a week or two. It was Sept. 6 last year.

Last edited:
Received processing email today. I really hope they hand out invites this August, rather than wait until September.

Is anyone familiar with Maryland's policy regarding "old" prerequisites?

I have heard that they do not accept prerequisites taken more than ten years ago, and now I see that their secondary cuts off the dates for completed prerequisites at 2002. I completed 20 hours of physics in college (with another 4 pass-fail hours and 8 additional hours of mathematical physics in grad school), but all of the undergraduate work was completed prior to 2002. I e-mailed them about this and will see what they say.

Is anyone else trying to submit the secondary and getting the notice that they're fixing the payment link and we can't submit until they do? Been getting it since yesterday and just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else trying to submit the secondary and getting the notice that they're fixing the payment link and we can't submit until they do? Been getting it since yesterday and just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one...
Uh oh...That's a bad sign!!

Jk...you should probably call their admissions office and ask.

Yeah I've been getting that since last week. I called them today and the lady just gave me a ton of attitude and hung up. So I guess we gotta keep checking till its back online.

Interview (lock signal): Not scheduled yet.

Does everyone's say this? Mine has said this for a week. I submitted on 8/9 so I'm not really expecting much... Kinda mean if this is everyone's status.

This is everyone's status. I don't think it's mean lol! Probably just how the website is set up. Several other schools use the same website application and they all say "interview-not scheduled yet".

Yeah I've been getting that since last week. I called them today and the lady just gave me a ton of attitude and hung up. So I guess we gotta keep checking till its back online.
Thanks... ridiculous that it's already been over a week. how hard it is to fix a link??

Thanks... ridiculous that it's already been over a week. how hard it is to fix a link??
Just tried paying and got this instead of the previous message:

500 Error

Oops, something has gone wrong. We have been notified and will be working on a fix. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
Go back to the previous page or the home page

Anybody else get the same?

Just tried paying and got this instead of the previous message:

500 Error

Oops, something has gone wrong. We have been notified and will be working on a fix. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
Go back to the previous page or the home page

Anybody else get the same?

Yeah I tried paying today too and the same thing happened. I've been waiting for over a week to pay for this stupid application...

Anyone have tips for:

1. not sounding like you're just repeating what you wrote on the activities section of your AMCAS for the first two essays, or

2. writing something really meaningful for the third? Not quite sure what they're asking/looking for...

for those of you who got interview invites, when did u submit your 2ndary and when were u complete? thanks!

Submitted Aug 6th, Complete Aug 14, II Sept 5

Hope this helps! Good luck to everyone!

any OOS invites go out? i'm from vermont, but hoping to get some love from maryland...

Anyone have tips for:

1. not sounding like you're just repeating what you wrote on the activities section of your AMCAS for the first two essays, or

2. writing something really meaningful for the third? Not quite sure what they're asking/looking for...

You can use activities from your primary, just find something else to say about it, maybe describe from a different angle.

For the third, explain what "being professional" means to you ...eg. exercising good judgement, behavior etc.

Interesting, I am wondering if they are reviewing the files in order because I was complete Aug 7. IS

You can use activities from your primary, just find something else to say about it, maybe describe from a different angle.

For the third, explain what "being professional" means to you ...eg. exercising good judgement, behavior etc.

Thanks. It's just frustrating that it seems like they don't even read our primaries... :-/

How soon after AMCAS verification did everyone receive their secondaries? I was finally verified last Tuesday and haven't received any word from Maryland. They don't screen, correct?

How soon after AMCAS verification did everyone receive their secondaries? I was finally verified last Tuesday and haven't received any word from Maryland. They don't screen, correct?

They do not screen. I was verified before June 25, but since AMCAS didn't send primaries to schools until June 25, you might as well say that I was verified on June 25. That being said, I received UMB's secondary on July 19. That's more than 3 weeks. Relax man, relax.

Don't worry, just submit the petition. When they say work experience on the secondary, do they only mean paid employment. Can we add volunteering experience?

sorry to hear!! maybe call the admissions office directly to address the issue? maybe they can point u in the right direction!

god speed

NO, you know what I got in the mail instead though? A letter saying my request for in-state status has been DENIED. WTF? I have lived in Maryland for 17 years! I went to high school in Maryland! I went to the University of Maryland! And now they tell me I'm not a resident? And I have to fill out a petition that potentially takes 6 WEEKS to process?

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! Someone PLEASE tell me they've had some experience with this or can shed some light on how to resolve this situation.

Last edited:
NO, you know what I got in the mail instead though? A letter saying my request for in-state status has been DENIED. WTF? I have lived in Maryland for 17 years! I went to high school in Maryland! I went to the University of Maryland! And now they tell me I'm not a resident? And I have to fill out a petition that potentially takes 6 WEEKS to process?

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! Someone PLEASE tell me they've had some experience with this or can shed some light on how to resolve this situation.

Sorry to hear this! Do you have a MD permanent address, MD drivers license, have a vehicle registered in MD, paid taxes in MD last year, are registered to vote in MD? I assume if you put down another state for some of these questions on their form that may be a problem. I believe for some states going to school there does not count. Did the letter say exactly why you were denied?

Last edited:

Last edited:
I got the "received" email aug 7th and havent heard anything. IS

So do we have to fill out the in state classification form now to be considered in state while theyre reviewing our secondary? Or is that just for tuition purposes. I didn't even know there was a form till right now...

So do we have to fill out the in state classification form now to be considered in state while theyre reviewing our secondary? Or is that just for tuition purposes. I didn't even know there was a form till right now...

I would do it now with your secondary submission. Your chances of receiving an interview and acceptance are much higher if they know you are IS.

I would do it now with your secondary submission. Your chances of receiving an interview and acceptance are much higher if they know you are IS.

I could be wrong but i thought whether you are in state is determined by AAMC's primary. The paper work is just for tuition/tax purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.