2012-2013 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, regarding the question "Tell us about your most prized possession," does it have to be a thing, or can it be a person? Also, do they mean "most prized" in terms of monetary value or simply what means the most to me?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, regarding the question "Tell us about your most prized possession," does it have to be a thing, or can it be a person? Also, do they mean "most prized" in terms of monetary value or simply what means the most to me?

you be the judge

Canadian student completing a Masters Degree in Experimental Surgery at the University of Alberta in August/Sept 2012 with a cGPA (undergrad) of 3.57, cGPA (Graduate) of 4.0, MCAT 33O, and 2 paper publications, 10 poster presentations, and extensive extracurricular activities (volunteering abroad, research position for 6 months at University of California, Irvine, organize a very large fundraiser (+140,000$ so far) and competitive sports).

I applied to USC last year, but was rejected pre-interview. (applied late august).

Do I have a chance this year? Do they look positively on Canadian students or are they 'outsiders'?

I also applied to Boston, Jefferson, Case Western, and NYMC. Any American insight on these schools?

Hopefully I have posted this in the right thread, if not, I apologize.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

I talked about my finger which I broke last semester. Be creative!

Just got the notice for the secondary! Woohoo! Time to work on these interesting questions!

anyone else still waiting for the secondary?

this one was amusing.

i wonder how many people fell in the trap and answered that they would run to their hospital and ask if they could do an extra shift volunteering or some other bogus bs

I LOVE this secondary! The questions are the most interesting so far and the secondary website the cleanest/easiest to use!

this one was amusing.

i wonder how many people fell in the trap and answered that they would run to their hospital and ask if they could do an extra shift volunteering or some other bogus bs

I talked about doing yoga then sitting on the couch watching a program on the mass manufacturing of oreos.

:D

This is a very "Californian" type of prompt. Makes me want to go to school in California even more lol

I wish I could see an example of secondary answers from an admitted applicant last year........ I feel like I could answer these questions beautifully, I just need some inspiration!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I could see an example of secondary answers from an admitted applicant last year........ I feel like I could answer these questions beautifully, I just need some inspiration!

Just answer them with what you would actually do. I think they want to make sure you have actual interests and impulses other than "how can I make my app better?" For what it's worth, I wrote about playing pickup basketball then eating lunch/dinner with some friends.

Good luck!

i've been verified for a few weeks but still no secondary. anyone else still waiting?

(3-5 sentences)
What is the most fun you've had in the last year?

ours was not limited to 1 year. I talked about hiking through a NZ national park with my dad early in college. I had been struggling in school, was sick with a nasty protracted infection (ended up getting a tonsillectomy a few months afterwards for the infection...) and he just said "eff it lets go"

Tell us about your most prized possession.

I talked about my 1954 gibson J-50 acoustic guitar; how it took me three years and 50 guitar shops to find, and how creating and playing music is an important emotional and creative expression for me.

If you couldn`t be a health professional, what occupation would you choose?

I talked about how it would have been a pleasure to work for my father's company had I not been accepted into medical school (people tell me this question is a trap, but I answered honestly)

What requirement would you add (or delete!) from the application process to medical school?

This one is a little less individualized so I won't share my response.

Please answer the question in 300 words or less.

Imagine your work or school obligations were cancelled for the afternoon and you had three hours of free time. What would you do?

We didn't have this question.

(3-5 sentences)

ours was not limited to 1 year. I talked about hiking through a NZ national park with my dad early in college. I had been struggling in school, was sick with a nasty protracted infection (ended up getting a tonsillectomy a few months afterwards for the infection...) and he just said "eff it lets go"

I talked about my 1954 gibson J-50 acoustic guitar; how it took me three years and 50 guitar shops to find, and how creating and playing music is an important emotional and creative expression for me.

I talked about how it would have been a pleasure to work for my father's company had I not been accepted into medical school (people tell me this question is a trap, but I answered honestly)

What requirement would you add (or delete!) from the application process to medical school?

Imagine your work or school obligations were cancelled for the afternoon and you had three hours of free time. What would you do?

What is the trap in the the health professions question?

(3-5 sentences)

Nice find with the j 50

I wish I could read some people's responses to these questions:

Favorite place on earth: The OR
Most prized possession: Toy stethoscope I got for my fifth birthday.
3 Hours free time: Cuddle up with this month's issue of NEJM

Good luck everyone! I'll be attending in the fall and this was my top choice. I don't have much advice to give, other than don't BS the secondary questions. I have personally heard from adcom members how much they hated fake answers to these questions and how easy it was to see through them. Oh, and take the student interview just as seriously as the faculty one. They really value what the existing classes think of you. In the words of Dr. Arias at my interview "we want to accept students just like the ones we already have." So fitting in with everyone is high on their list of attributes they want in you.

This secondary... I feel like I'm writing an eHarmony profile. "On Friday nights, I like to..." ugh

I definitely took a risk on the 3 hours essay question. Hopefully it'll work in my favor.

I definitely took a risk on the 3 hours essay question. Hopefully it'll work in my favor.

How could you, better yet, why, would you take a risk on a question that asks what you would do with 3hrs of free time?

How could you, better yet, why, would you take a risk on a question that asks what you would do with 3hrs of free time?

Why wouldn't you? They literally say that creative and original answers are appreciated. I took a risk too..

Why wouldn't you? They literally say that creative and original answers are appreciated. I took a risk too..

Same here. Mine's definitely a hit or miss. They will either burst out laughing or roll their eyes and throw my app in the rubbish bin.

Same here. Mine's definitely a hit or miss. They will either burst out laughing or roll their eyes and throw my app in the rubbish bin.

That's exactly how I'm feeling as well. But either way, at least they'll remember my application

Because they encourage "creative and original responses," I find myself taking on a less formal tone than I have in other secondaries. Is that a bad idea?

What is USC's policy on unfinished prerequisites? I still need to take the second semester of physics lab. Will my secondary even be looked at?

I always aim to match my writing style/tone with that of the questions. For USC, the tone is very casual, so it only makes sense to use a more informal style. I even used contractions!

I had a chance once to speak to an adcom member (not of USC), about questions like that which get brought up in interviews. They understand you're more realistic and safe answer would be something related more towards medicine (PA, nurse, professor, etc), but they're really looking for a DIFFERENT side of your personality, such as being an entrepreneur, journalist, etc. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
My responses, while truthful, were all very lighthearted. They'll either love it or hate it, but I'm willing to take that risk. After all, why ask such questions if you want boring answers?

Do sportswriter. I had a chance once to speak to an adcom member (not of USC), about questions like that which get brought up in interviews. They understand you're more realistic and safe answer would be something related more towards medicine (PA, nurse, professor, etc), but they're really looking for a DIFFERENT side of your personality, such as being an entrepreneur, journalist, etc. Hope that helps.

Just to confuse everyone even more, I spoke with an ex adcom member (also not USC), and she said the worst answers she heard to the "what would you be if not a doctor" question were the ones that talked about a completely unrelated career, because she took that to mean they weren't serious/passionate/sure enough about their interest in medicine.

Not really trying to play devil's advocate, but just providing more examples that "this process is a crapshoot" and part of it comes down to the person who reads your application or interviews you, which you have no control over, so try not to spend too much time worrying about what adcoms would prefer and just be as true to yourself as you can.

Just to confuse everyone even more, I spoke with an ex adcom member (also not USC), and she said the worst answers she heard to the "what would you be if not a doctor" question were the ones that talked about a completely unrelated career, because she took that to mean they weren't serious/passionate/sure enough about their interest in medicine.

Not really trying to play devil's advocate, but just providing more examples that "this process is a crapshoot" and part of it comes down to the person who reads your application or interviews you, which you have no control over, so try not to spend too much time worrying about what adcoms would prefer and just be as true to yourself as you can.

I know this is true, as Lizzy M has stated as such. But I think that USC is the exception because they encourage the creative response. Whereas at other schools, this question might be asked at an interview as a serious question or in a essay that is supposed to be a little more serious.

Ok, that was, so far, the most fun I've had writing a secondary. If I could go back, I might even say that writing their secondary was the most fun I've had in the past year :)

What is the trap in the the health professions question?

This was the trap that I was talking about.

But there is no option to put a related career......? What are you supposed to say, that you would wish to be unemployed forever?

But you talked about working in your dads business, how is that related to medicine. Im that sense, didnt you fall for the trap?

I know this is true, as Lizzy M has stated as such. But I think that USC is the exception because they encourage the creative response. Whereas at other schools, this question might be asked at an interview as a serious question or in a essay that is supposed to be a little more serious.

I think you're right...the wording is "If you couldn`t be a health professional, what occupation would you choose?"

It sounds like they are purposely being broad because they don't want you to say something like "I'd be a nurse, or a Podiatrist, or a Dentist, or an Optometrist" or anything healthcare related.

Hey guys, I'm an MS2 at Keck. Feel free to PM me or ask questions here about the school, my thoughts on the admissions process, or anything else. Good luck to you all!

I think you're right...the wording is "If you couldn`t be a health professional, what occupation would you choose?"

It sounds like they are purposely being broad because they don't want you to say something like "I'd be a nurse, or a Podiatrist, or a Dentist, or an Optometrist" or anything healthcare related.

:thumbup:

Anyone know if they send secondaries out in batches? Haven't gotten mine yet.. i thought they don't screen..

Do you guys think psychologist would be out of the question?

The occupations that I actually considered are either very closely health-related (above), or have few values in common with medical professionals (e.g. astronomer). Would it be riskier one way or the other?

Do you guys think psychologist would be out of the question?

The occupations that I actually considered are either very closely health-related (above), or have few values in common with medical professionals (e.g. astronomer). Would it be riskier one way or the other?
Well, psychologists are health professionals. So if you want to abide by the question, then you should list being an astronomer. Of course it's up to you, but that's what I would do.

With that said

Applied: July 24th

Secondary Received: July 25th

Feeling: Jimmies unrustled

I don't know why I am having such a hard time coming up with something the medical school application requirement should add/delete. Anyone care to throw out some ideas for inspiration?

Status
Not open for further replies.