2012-2013 Wright State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
miss blue rose,

I'm sorry you're taking this application process so personally, but you have to understand that schools have their reasons for every policy they put into place. With applicant pools consistently getting stronger, with inevitable upward drifts in things like MCAT scores, and the persistent type A nature of applicants who freak out when they get a B in undergrad - everything is constantly getting more competitive. If you look at averages for MD acceptances even just over the last 3 years, MCAT avgs have creeped up from ~30 to over ~32 for matriculants, and cGPAs have nudged up several hundredths of a point as well. In order to keep up with things like this, AND in order to maintain a reputation as a school who does take its candidates seriously, Wright State very much does look at the whole person (what they've been doing since their founding), but also must maintain some form of minimum standards for applicants so our stats, like the nations, stay somewhat consistent or rise. Like munki, my classmate, has said - there are definitely people at our school who have an sGPA below 3.0 or an MCAT below 25. And while people might be questioning chances of an applicant who meet both of these "criteria," we all really know that medical school applications is truly a crazy, impossible-to-explain series of events. Everyone has a story, everyone has amazing things on their app, and some people's meaningful experiences blow any numbers out of the water - I completely agree. Rambling aside, I really just wanted to try to assuage your worries ever so slightly, but perhaps more important, tell you that with your point of view on the matter and your expressed view of the school and the office staff (some of the sweetest women I've ever had the pleasure of meeting), I agree that applying elsewhere should be in your future. Know that admissions officers, and especially second year interviewers (i.e. my classmates) do have their ways of discovering the identities behind internet personalities, even if you think your username is so far from association with your real name. Just... be careful what you're putting online, especially while you're trying to apply to a professional institution and join the ranks of a well-respected profession. Toning down the attitude and maintaining a level of tact and professionalism is really not too difficult.

Best of luck,
Proud WSUBSOM MS2

Really? They look at applicants holistically? Clearly your "fact" is wrong. Take a look at what Debbie the admissions officer said. They screen based on numbers- end of story. There is no one there who has stats < 3.0 sGPA AND (keyword) < 25 MCAT.

So for anyone like me, apply elsewhere! You will have a much better chance at other schools, especially if you are URM, in-state, or legacy.

Members don't see this ad.

I understand where you're coming from, but numbers aren't everything and just because the chances are very slim, doesn't mean the chances are 0. So don't discourage people please. The fact that having a <25 MCAT and <3.0 GPA is a bad omen doesn't mean it's right for schools to screen based on numbers AND claim they don't or allow ppl to still pay for secondary apps. I've gotten recruitment emails from GW, UPitt, UMichigan based on my MCAT score, thank you. I've also gotten screened in to multiple places like VCU and UW.

I dissagree that pre-secondary many schools will do silent rejections. Only the schools that will screen pre-secondary will be sending out any sort of decision, which was what my initial comment was based on. Out of the schools that screen candidates, none (other than Wright) in my experience wait to send rejections. It makes sense for them to do silent rejections post-secondary though, because they rank applicants and they don't want to send any rejections in case one of their steller, high profile applicants turns them down for harvard.

So basically you are saying you would want to waste your money on secondaries and then get rejected?

Got an II here on 9/6! will probably pass though. hope it opens up for someone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
II today. 3.00s 3.14c 33Q urm.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I got the email at like 3:41, but it says to call the admissions office before 3:30 to make an appointment. Troll admissions department.

Edit: Can anyone verify if the interview has an MMI?

Last edited:
Did anyone receive an email saying that the letters were received and the application is complete? I only received an email after my payment saying that AMCAS would inform me of sent letters to Wright State, which was not the case.

Anyone have any ideas of a good way to get from Dayton to Cinci? I'm interviewing at Cincinnati the day after Wright State and I'm flying to Dayton. Besides renting a car and flying home from Cinci is there another option? I'm <25 so renting a car is pretty expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
To the troll that is wracking havoc on this thread. I have a 3.6cGPA, 3.4sGPA, 22R and a 26S. I received a secondary. Just waiting on my ii. :xf: I really like this school, the environment, their mission and the location.

To the troll that is wracking havoc on this thread. I have a 3.6cGPA, 3.4sGPA, 22R and a 26S. I received a secondary. Just waiting on my ii. :xf: I really like this school, the environment, their mission and the location.

26? Do you have other MD ii so far?

26? Do you have other MD ii so far?

I just submitted my secondaries, nothing yet. My first choice is Osteopathic Medicine, but Rosalind Franklin and WSU come off as more holistic schools with good missions. Is a 26S that shocking?

I just submitted my secondaries, nothing yet. My first choice is Osteopathic Medicine, but Rosalind Franklin and WSU come off as more holistic schools with good missions. Is a 26S that shocking?

If you don't mind me asking, why is DO your first choice?

If you don't mind me asking, why is DO your first choice?

Absolutely don't mind. I am a big fan of OMM, I have shadowed a few DO's and I just found them to be more courteous, and spend more time with their patients. I AM NOT saying that MD's are not like that. I am just saying that I am a big fan of OMM and the holistic mentality. I am really hopping to do Emergency Medicine one day, and OMM would be a great tool to have. That said, I believe that I can be an excellent ER physician without OMM, its just a great tool to have.

Question about Wright States LOR requirement.. I called a couple of weeks ago and asked if they have a maximum LOR and they said 5, with at least two from science. But, my friend called today and they said they only accept a max of 3, with two from science and all must be from faculty.

What LORs did you guys send them?

Question about Wright States LOR requirement.. I called a couple of weeks ago and asked if they have a maximum LOR and they said 5, with at least two from science. But, my friend called today and they said they only accept a max of 3, with two from science and all must be from faculty.

What LORs did you guys send them?

pre-med committee letter+2 more

Yes, considering the average matriculant is ~31.

Absolutely don't mind. I am a big fan of OMM, I have shadowed a few DO's and I just found them to be more courteous, and spend more time with their patients. I AM NOT saying that MD's are not like that. I am just saying that I am a big fan of OMM and the holistic mentality. I am really hopping to do Emergency Medicine one day, and OMM would be a great tool to have. That said, I believe that I can be an excellent ER physician without OMM, its just a great tool to have.

MDs can learn OMM.

Yes, considering the average matriculant is ~31.

MDs can learn OMM.

A lot of talk coming from a person who has below a avg GPA and is a URM. No offense but I thought your comment was rude and had to inject.

Anyway I have an II here, what's the chances of re-scheduling? I have II's at OSU and Cincy and want to make just one trip to Ohio.

A lot of talk coming from a person who has below a avg GPA and is a URM. No offense but I thought your comment was rude and had to inject.

Anyway I have an II here, what's the chances of re-scheduling? I have II's at OSU and Cincy and want to make just one trip to Ohio.

What? I never said my stats were stellar and I also never indicated that I was waiting on/expecting an ii. You don't think its shocking that someone with a 26 is expecting an MD ii?

meh I think this should thread should be back on topic--the real question is where is my II?!?!?!

If 31 is an average, thus there are scored above and below. Plus, besides the MCAT, there are a lot of other factors.

II today, stoked since I'm from that area, submitted end of July

Is 31 MCAT you guys are talking about for Wright or all MD schools? Either way, it's comforting!

If 31 is an average, thus there are scored above and below. Plus, besides the MCAT, there are a lot of other factors.

Good to be optimistic.

Congrats!

Is 31 MCAT you guys are talking about for Wright or all MD schools? Either way, it's comforting!

All. I think Wright's median is 29.

Just received an interview invite via email. OOS

Congrats!

Yea it is but I was referring to MD.. since this is an MD thread.

Kindly refer to the helpful hints about tact and professionalism that I posted at the top of this page. Your MDapps was at one time rather thorough (read: identifiable), and you're not making a very good case for your attitude.

Last edited:
Kindly refer to the helpful hints about tact and professionalism that I posted at the top of this page. Your MDapps was at one time rather thorough (read: identifiable), and you're not making a very good case for your attitude.

?

?

Translation: Watch yo back girl. *head shake, finger snaps*

?

There's just no need to be sassy and put down others' scores, especially when their GPAs eclipse yours by a fair margin. WSUBSOM likes team players - be one! Your most recent (congratulatory) post is more in line with what we wanna see here, not put-downs directed at your comrades who are going through this same crazy, stressful application process. That's all. Now, back to studying...

There's just no need to be sassy and put down others' scores, especially when their GPAs eclipse yours by a fair margin. WSUBSOM likes team players - be one! Your most recent (congratulatory) post is more in line with what we wanna see here, not put-downs directed at your comrades who are going through this same crazy, stressful application process. That's all. Now, back to studying...

Show me where I put down the 26. I said it was below matriculant average (it is) and I said it was surprising that someone with a 3.6/26 is expecting ii. I certainly wasn't expecting them with my stats. I was hopeful, but not expectant.

Edit: Also, there was no sass. A 26 is low just like <3.30 is low and that's all there is to it. I don't know why people get so sensitive when other people point out a weakness and/or reason their application likely won't get consideration.

Oh and btw, since you want to make comments like "especially when their GPAs eclipse yours by a fair margin." I'll just go ahead and point out that they have a 40-50% GPA and 10% GPA for Wright State while I have a 10% GPA and a 90% MCAT.

Last edited:
Show me where I put down the 26. I said it was below matriculant average (it is) and I said it was surprising that someone with a 3.6/26 is expecting ii. I certainly wasn't expecting them with my stats. I was hopeful, but not expectant.

Since when does saying "waiting on an ii :xf:" mean "OMGZ, I EXPECT them to want me"...? I didn't read entitlement or expectation from that. Your skewed interpretation and overreaction was a put-down, plain and simple. Ciao!

Since when does saying "waiting on an ii :xf:" mean "OMGZ, I EXPECT them to want me"...? I didn't read entitlement or expectation from that. Your skewed interpretation and overreaction was a put-down, plain and simple. Ciao!

You read sass in my comments, and I read expectation in his/her comments. See how that works?

Just as a heads up, it may be helpful to make the admission office aware that you are from (i.e. live in) the area. If they have a cancellation for one of their interviews they might give you a call to bump up your interview date. They moved mine up by about a month. By the time my initial interview date came around I already had my acceptance.

Edit: Also, there was no sass. A 26 is low just like <3.30 is low and that's all there is to it. I don't know why people get so sensitive when other people point out a weakness and/or reason their application likely won't get consideration.

Most people are aware of the weak spots of their application at this point. Your response to that person, and then to me, just came off as unnecessarily rude, whether you meant it be that way or not. While I feel constructive criticism and/or advice is good, it's always important to be considerate at the same time.

Last edited:
This thread is turning comical. You have one guy that makes a simple response to some post and now you have supposed members of the adcom threatening him about his actions on this forum. This isn't doing your school any favors. In fact, I think it reflects badly on your school.

This thread is turning comical. You have one guy that makes a simple response to some post and now you have supposed members of the adcom threatening him about his actions on this forum. This isn't doing your school any favors. In fact, I think it reflects badly on your school.

You forgot to say: AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.

Just as a heads up, it may be helpful to make the admission office aware that you are from (i.e. live in) the area. If they have a cancellation for one of their interviews they might give you a call to bump up your interview date. They moved mine up by about a month. By the time my initial interview date came around I already had my acceptance.

Thanks for the tip, but I go to school in Boston so I have to make a trip to go back.

You're entitled to think what you want, just as we're entitled to root for the underdog and yearn for a basic level of respect. We have absolutely no sway when it comes to people's applications, trust me. But two years ago, we were given a chance and we were encouraged, and we want to extend that courtesy to future students (and hopefully moderate some of the bad attitudes and bad feelings). I'm sorry you feel that this is a poor reflection of our school. We're in no way meaning to be threatening - just hopeful that applicants are aware that in this day and age of internet obsessions, one needs to be aware that comments they make in writing can stick with them and reflect poorly. I love love love Wright State for its commitment to being inclusive, team-oriented, community-oriented, and overall good-spirited. It just worries me when I see what could be interpreted as "cut-throat" behavior in an application thread, because that could translate into one's lifestyle while in medical school - and we just don't want that here. My classmates and I truly meant no offense, we just have so much passion for our school and our class that we want to uphold what we've grown to love and make sure that those things carry over into future classes. We wish you the best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.