2013-2014 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Optional Essay
We have found that for most applicants, an extra essay written expressly for Boston University adds little to the information content of the portfolio. While we no longer require an essay, some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish, use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, addressing any issue you feel is of importance. If you choose to use the space, please do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in this Supplemental Application or in material you have submitted to AMCAS.
For most applicants, no supplementary essay will be necessary and this space can be left blank.

3000 Characters
Good luck all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did anyone who submitted get the BU secondary yet? I heard that they start sending them pretty fast before the initial transmission date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who submitted get the BU secondary yet? I heard that they start sending them pretty fast before the initial transmission date.

I'm submitted and verified but haven't received anything.

I'm submitted and verified but haven't received anything.

Information does not go out to medical schools for AMCAS until June 28th. I do not believe it is possible to receive secondaries before then.

Information does not go out to medical schools for AMCAS until June 28th. I do not believe it is possible to receive secondaries before then.

Nope, BU says explicitly on their website that they send secondaries before they receive the full AMCAS application usually during early to mid June. Apparently our contact info was sent to all the schools we selected the minute we hit submit.

Nope, BU says explicitly on their website that they send secondaries before they receive the full AMCAS application usually during early to mid June. Apparently our contact info was sent to all the schools we selected the minute we hit submit.

Wow, really interesting. Well thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone (especially any current students here) have any advice on writing the optional essays? Do many people choose to write them?

Reactions: 1 user

Anyone receive the secondary yet?

Sweet...a fellow Texan applying up north!

Yup! I actually have only been a real Texan for a year (I established residency by working) - I've lived in New England my whole life haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup! I actually have only been a real Texan for a year (I established residency by working) - I've lived in New England my whole life haha.

Oh cool! Haha the only connection I have is that one of my close friend goes to grad school in MIT. He couldn't stop raving about how awesome Boston is so I decided apply to 2 schools in Boston. (This and Tuft)

Anyway, I hope they will show some love to us Southerners

Does anyone (especially any current students here) have any advice on writing the optional essays? Do many people choose to write them?

The one person I know that goes to BU said she didn't write one. Just n=1 though.

Sweet...a fellow Texan applying up north!

San Antonio right here!

So, have they sent out the secondary then? Because I didn't receive it - wondering if they screen :-/

I didn't receive a secondary either :(

Oh good, so nothing personal against Yankees fans then haha. Might not be a fantastic decision to go to Boston actually, haha. It looks like we're applying to the same schools Strawberry

Is last year's question about interesting features of one's educational history gone?

Is last year's question about interesting features of one's educational history gone?

I REALLY hope not, because I wrote an essay for the ages about my graduate training...

Just got the secondary
We have found that for most applicants, an extra essay written expressly for Boston University adds little to the information content of the portfolio. While we no longer require an essay, some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish, use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, addressing any issue you feel is of importance. If you choose to use the space, please do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in this Supplemental Application or in material you have submitted to AMCAS.
For most applicants, no supplementary essay will be necessary and this space can be left blank.
3000 characters
Re-Applicant Comment
This section may be used by re-applicants who wish to highlight specific areas of their application or to outline specific changes since their last application.
2000 characters
Boston University School of Medicine / Boston Medical Center Connection
If desired, use this section to explain any personal connection(s) you may have at Boston University School of Medicine or Boston Medical Center (other than as a patient).
200 characters

Last edited:
Secondary received this morning!

Just got an email about the secondary. Not verified yet.

It is not; it is still there and is optional.

It's not on the list posted above? I meant the "Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history.." question.

It's not on the list posted above? I meant the "Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history.." question.

That question is still there. Copy/pasted from BU secondary:

Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 Characters)

That question is still there. Copy/pasted from BU secondary:

Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 Characters)

Wow missed that part, it was hidden

Anyone else having trouble saving the sections with the essays??

Anyone else who is verified and still has NOT received the secondary? :(

Anyone else who is verified and still has NOT received the secondary? :(

Yes... seems like there's quite a few of us. Hopefully we'll receive it sometime today!

Bump post #31

Mine seem to save just fine.

EDIT: How many of you guys aren't answering the essay "Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us"? I don't have anything that really stands out or isn't elaborated on elsewhere.. I'm thinking I should stop trying to grasp at straws and just avoid being repetitive.

Mine seem to save just fine.

EDIT: How many of you guys aren't answering the essay "Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us"? I don't have anything that really stands out or isn't elaborated on elsewhere.. I'm thinking I should stop trying to grasp at straws and just avoid being repetitive.

What browser are you using?

I'm thinking of not answering that one either. I feel like they'll appreciate the fact that we're making their jobs a little easier :)

Yea I keep getting "save failed" :(

I called them about it. They said they will work with IT on it, but if you preview your app just before submitting everything is still there even though it says it didn't save. I don't think it's an issue.

Mine says save failed, but the content is still there when I reenter. I think it is okay.

My app is on hold because one of my letter writers forgot to use official letterhead. Now I have to track him down and have him upload the letter again :(

Does anyone know if this will be a problem at other schools, or is BU just picky about the letterhead thing? I'm worried I'll be on hold everywhere now until he makes the revision.

Has anyone who was verified early by AMCAS NOT received the secondary invite yet? It does BUSM screen?