2013-2014 New York University (NYU) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.
If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

3 essays- 2500 characters or less
The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential.
What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?

The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

Please answer only one of the following three questions:

The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?

Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?

Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?

GL all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi there,
My name is Agnieszka and I'm applying to NYU for 2014 admission. I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to speak with a current medical student at the school. Is there anyone here that has some free time in their busy schedule to talk to a pre med? Thank you so much and please feel free to PM me.

Hi there,
My name is Agnieszka and I'm applying to NYU for 2014 admission. I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to speak with a current medical student at the school. Is there anyone here that has some free time in their busy schedule to talk to a pre med? Thank you so much and please feel free to PM me.

You may also want to consider checking last year's thread for which medical students seemed active. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Received secondary.

If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.
If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

3 essays- 2500 characters or less
The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential.
What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?

The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

Please answer only one of the following three questions:

The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?

Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?

Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?

Received secondary.

Are there character restrictions for these questions?

Are there character restrictions for these questions?

No limits are given. I would assume you should take as much space as you need to answer these. It's an "N/A" for me :)

Do they screen pre-secondary? I didn't get a secondary yet :/

Do they screen pre-secondary? I didn't get a secondary yet :/

It looks like the consensus last year was that they don't screen. I haven't gotten the secondary yet either.

If they don't screen maybe they release in batches or something? I'm going to prewrite anyway. Good luck! :luck:

Is it worth it to enter upper level classes for the requirements if you received a better grade?

For example, NYU states that to fulfill the the Organic Chemistry requirement, one semester of Orgo and one semester of Biochem can be used. I received an A in Orgo 2 and an A in Biochem, but a B in Orgo 1, so would it be better to put Orgo 2 and Biochem for the requirement, or just put Orgo 1 and Orgo 2 because it doesnt matter.

Thanks!

Anyone uploading abstracts or anything for additional info?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was always planning on applying to NYU, but I looked in the MSAR yesterday and its GPA is much higher than I expected. Can't remember the exact number, but I think the bottom 10% is around 3.6something? Is that right?

I was always planning on applying to NYU, but I looked in the MSAR yesterday and its GPA is much higher than I expected. Can't remember the exact number, but I think the bottom 10% is around 3.6something? Is that right?

3VyCriv.png

Are you guys putting the course name in the "course" section for the prerequisites or just the course code? Introduction to biology vs. BIO 1A? Thanks!

Cool, this might put me in the 3rd percentile. NYU is a reeeeeaaacccchhhhhhhhhhh :lame:

Has anyone submitted, but the status page still shows that letter of recommendation is not complete yet (as in they haven't received it from AMCAS)?

Has anyone submitted, but the status page still shows that letter of recommendation is not complete yet (as in they haven't received it from AMCAS)?

Yep same here!

When it says "1 year" for the prereq requirements, does it mean one semester or one academic year? i.e. is it acceptable to just but a 3.00 credit chemistry course, or do I need to put two 3.00 credit courses for it to equal 1 year?

When it says "1 year" for the prereq requirements, does it mean one semester or one academic year? i.e. is it acceptable to just but a 3.00 credit chemistry course, or do I need to put two 3.00 credit courses for it to equal 1 year?

1 year typically means two semesters and one academic year. This would be two 3.00 or 4.00 credit courses if on the semester system.

I like many of you also have it marked that NYU did not receive my LoRs from AMCAS. But what does it show for the application status for you guys? I submitted and paid for my secondary, but on the home page it shows "not submitted" for my secondary application (red exclamation point), even though I submitted the supplemental application and paid the fee a minute ago. Same with you guys too?

I was marked complete today without an email. Just checked my status and my letter was finally uploaded.

"Please answer only one of the following three questions:

Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?"

How did you guys deal with this essay question. I don't really have any strong answers for any of these. I'm a fairly agreeable person so I haven't really had any significant conflicts with any peers. And I dont really have any "meaningful achievements" to say of, school was my full time job and maintaining GPA and MCAT and doing those "clinical" volunteering things did not leave space for this.

"Please answer only one of the following three questions:

Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?"

How did you guys deal with this essay question. I don't really have any strong answers for any of these. I'm a fairly agreeable person so I haven't really had any significant conflicts with any peers. And I dont really have any "meaningful achievements" to say of, school was my full time job and maintaining GPA and MCAT and doing those "clinical" volunteering things did not leave space for this.

I'm also really agreeable and never really have conflicts. I used an example where I was in a leadership position and someone didn't like what I was doing, so I just said I sat down with them and we talked it out and I got their perspective, blah blah. Even though it wasn't a tough conflict, I figured it wouldn't hurt to show that I can be diplomatic while being super non-confrontational.

Thanks. Would talking about resolving conflicts in groups while exploring around town during a study abroad experience be a good topic to use? I dont know how i'll relate it back to medicine strongly though.

For Columbia P&S, the 10% is 3.57 and median is 3.87, and median MCAT is 36

Would this mean that it is harder to get an interview/accepted to NYU than to Columbia??

Why does it say not to copy and paste essays into the secondary application? Formatting issues? It doesn't make sense to write out the entire essay again in their text box, it should be able to accept plain text entries.

Is it 2500 characters for each essay, or a total of 2500 characters?

I've been thinking this too, and I also had an experience while abroad when I had trouble with the people I was traveling with, wanted to know if that is okay too.

So I have two questions, one more specific to me and another general one about secondaries:

[first question has been answered]

2) For the prompt about what we have done if we have taken a year off, it asks "and your reasons for doing so." Does this mean my reason for taking a year off or my reason for doing what I did during the year off? Could saying I just needed more time in junior and senior year to be sure about my commitment to medicine be sufficient as a reason?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Oh man, this is brutal...still not done my stupid application for this freaking school. Whipped through three other applications in a single day, but this thing...

I'm surprised there hasn't been much activity on this thread.

For the question regarding where we see our future medical career, is anyone mentioning how NYU will help them get there? I wrote a whole draft just about where I see myself and why.... but then thought that maybe this is a hidden "why nyu" question. Anything thinking this way or am I overthinking?

For the question regarding where we see our future medical career, is anyone mentioning how NYU will help them get there? I wrote a whole draft just about where I see myself and why.... but then thought that maybe this is a hidden "why nyu" question. Anything thinking this way or am I overthinking?

OMG thats such a good idea - WOW i wished i had thought of that before I submitted my essay. Oh well, if i don't get in this year, I'll use this strategy next cycle

OMG thats such a good idea - WOW i wished i had thought of that before I submitted my essay. Oh well, if i don't get in this year, I'll use this strategy next cycle

Quick reply! This is what happens when it's past midnight.. when my brain is working but I'm too tired to do much typing. I guess I'll think about making changes to my draft...

yes I did. I talked about my experiences, how these experiences led to my career interests, and how nyu will help get me there. I think it turned out really well

Last year I didn't write specifically about NYU at all for that essay and I got an interview just fyi...

Finally submitted! This one took a lot longer than I expected/wanted :p

For those of you who have already received your secondary applications, when did you submit your AMCAS? I haven't gotten a secondary from NYU yet, and I wonder if it's because I only submitted my AMCAS on July 7th.

NYU sends secondaries to those whose AMCAS were verified.

If I am not interested in the 3-year program do I need to submit a blank tertiary application? or is it okay that it says "not complete" for this section when I view my application status?

If I am not interested in the 3-year program do I need to submit a blank tertiary application? or is it okay that it says "not complete" for this section when I view my application status?

Yeah, you're good. I haven't touched the tertiary app and I was marked complete a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, you're good. I haven't touched the tertiary app and I was marked complete a couple weeks ago.

Totally using the tertiary app to discuss my plans to change the world one rack at a time through combined MD-Plastic Surgery residency.