2013- 2014 PGY1 residency applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you change the name of this thread? Don't remember it saying PGY1 before.

Members don't see this ad.

And frankly my pet peeve is people who wait until the last mn to do things..
Agreed. The last thing I want is a resident who is a procrastinator. Those are the things that matter to me vs. did you present a poster amongst eleventy billion posters. Did you spell the site name wrong? Next. Do you have typos in your app? Next. If you can't bother with getting the easy details right, what kind of pharmacist will you be? Quality over quantity always - I would much rather see an applicant that did a few things very, very well than a someone who was only peripherally involved in a bunch of things.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone - I have a question about my letters of reference. From what I can gather, PhORCAS no longer allows letter writers to upload outside documents and limits them to just a "standardized reference template" (see http://www.ashp.org/DocLibrary/Accreditation/PhORCASinformation.aspx). Some programs are still requesting that writers attach a traditional letter of recommendation. I speculate these programs are unaware of the changes this year- is this what others are ascertaining?

Also, are my fellow candidates just submitting one request for their letter writers to complete, instead of an individual letter request for each program? PhORCAS could have been a tad clearer in this aspect... Thanks in advance for those that help.
-Dan

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you change the name of this thread? Don't remember it saying PGY1 before.

Yep, it's always said PGY1.

Hi everyone - I have a question about my letters of reference. From what I can gather, PhORCAS no longer allows letter writers to upload outside documents and limits them to just a "standardized reference template" (see http://www.ashp.org/DocLibrary/Accreditation/PhORCASinformation.aspx). Some programs are still requesting that writers attach a traditional letter of recommendation. I speculate these programs are unaware of the changes this year- is this what others are ascertaining?

Also, are my fellow candidates just submitting one request for their letter writers to complete, instead of an individual letter request for each program? PhORCAS could have been a tad clearer in this aspect... Thanks in advance for those that help.
-Dan

There is a box that the references can put the traditional letter of recommendation. "Traditional Letter" meaning a letter format document ie something in word.doc. In this case the letter writers can write it in word then copy and paste it into PhORCAS. This is my understanding from the PhORCAS reps. The issue comes if they need to attach a supplemental document, something that is site specific. One of my letter writers had to do that and upon calling PhORCAS she was informed that attaching a document was not possible. The site confirmed she could just send it to them directly.

As for individual LOR for each site, I asked my references for a single LOR, I didn't want to bother them with having to write something for each site since I wasn't sure how many I was going to apply to.

Last edited:
Ah ok, guess I was totally oblivious. I'll see my way out of this thread. lol

-Dan
I watched two videos from the ASHP website before and they were helpful/made the letter writing process a lot clearer.

Under Applicant: "How to add reference requests" video
Under Reference Writers: "How to provide references in PhORCAS"

http://www.ashp.org/phorcas

We have started to see some applications trickle in...keep them coming!!

Two questions if anyone can answer:

1. Will PhORCAS let you know when your transcript in/uploaded to the system?
2. If a site I am applying to does not use PhORCAS and asks that you email or mail in the CV/LOI/LOR/etc. Do I mail in my CV/LOI and then my 3 letter writers mail their documents in separately and then my university will mail my transcript? Deadline is 2nd week in January but my University closes so i want them to get it mailed tomorrow. I guess I am just making sure this is how you go about this because not everything will get there at the same time I am assuming

Two questions if anyone can answer:

1. Will PhORCAS let you know when your transcript in/uploaded to the system?
2. If a site I am applying to does not use PhORCAS and asks that you email or mail in the CV/LOI/LOR/etc. Do I mail in my CV/LOI and then my 3 letter writers mail their documents in separately and then my university will mail my transcript? Deadline is 2nd week in January but my University closes so i want them to get it mailed tomorrow. I guess I am just making sure this is how you go about this because not everything will get there at the same time I am assuming

1. It will show up under the "status" section (received)
2. Yes

I also have a question: I noticed that once you submit your application you can still change items (LOR, CV, Letter of intent). If I submit an updated CV (ie: an additional presentation, publication or something) will the institution be notified of this?

I've submitted 5/7 and 2 of my 3 letters are in... so excited/nervous!

Officially submitted to all my programs!
I feel like I just volunteered for the hunger games.

Eh nevermind me, I'm grouchy today.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Question for you guys: Anyone experience LOR writers lagging a bit with the deadlines? I'm getting nervous since only 1/3 letters have been submitted, and one of my profs is a bit scatter-brained. I requested them in the beginning of Nov.

Did anyone have to send friendly reminders? Or just pray that it all works out.

I sent friendly reminders via email when I applied for residency last year. I only had 1/3 letters submitted and it was about 7-10 days before my first application deadline, so I kindly reminded my other two letter writers that the deadline was approaching. This is a busy time of the year with residency applications, the holidays, potential vacations, etc.

Question for you guys: Anyone experience LOR writers lagging a bit with the deadlines? I'm getting nervous since only 1/3 letters have been submitted, and one of my profs is a bit scatter-brained. I requested them in the beginning of Nov.

Did anyone have to send friendly reminders? Or just pray that it all works out.
That's why i asked four. I have 2/3. We'll see who finishes first ;)

Should have requested them earlier!

Should have requested them earlier!
I couldn't. Grades got posted Friday. They don't allow requests by fax so I did it online through the school system, then called so i could send a pdf of the phorcas form since I'm out of state and can't go in person.....

Ugh, my two letters have been in for about a week now and my third letter writer has not been very communicative and has not responded to my previous two e-mails. I hate to bother this person again but another e-mail tomorrow may be in order.

How important do you all think fall transcripts are in the application package?

My current issue..
I requested 2 transcripts back in November- one to be sent immediately, another to be sent upon the end of the fall 2013 semester.
One of them posted a while ago but I have yet to see the new one post. All our 4th year grades are pass/fail anyway, but some programs still want to see these 'grades'. The registrar's office at my SOP is closed until after the holiday break, so in the mean time I have no idea if that second transcript was sent. I'm trying to think worst case scenario here is that it wasn't. The more I think about it the less of a big deal I think it really is. And as I continue to rationalize this in my head, maybe if it is something that's really important for them to see they will contact me? I'm probably over-thinking this. Anyone have any experience with this?

Last edited:
Is anyone listing any awards or scholarships from undergrad? I received a few but would think they are no longer relevant. Phorcas only specifically instructs not to list high school activities. Also, is it worth it listing organizations (like APhA or Rho Chi) if you only were a member? I have all these things listed in my CV and the logical decision by me would be to skip the insignificant stuff in the Extracurricular Activities section but then I don't want them to think I carelessly skipped over things in the application because I didn't feel like filling everything out.

Is anyone listing any awards or scholarships from undergrad? I received a few but would think they are no longer relevant. Phorcas only specifically instructs not to list high school activities. Also, is it worth it listing organizations (like APhA or Rho Chi) if you only were a member? I have all these things listed in my CV and the logical decision by me would be to skip the insignificant stuff in the Extracurricular Activities section but then I don't want them to think I carelessly skipped over things in the application because I didn't feel like filling everything out.
I only put one undergrad scholarship because it was a significant one.

I only listed leadership/EC's where I actually did something or held a position not because I didn't feel like it but because I didn't want "fluff".

I only put one undergrad scholarship because it was a significant one.

Significant as in pharmacy-related or significant in some other way? My undergrad scholarship came with a significant amount of tuition support but it was not pharmacy related. I don't think that's significant enough to take up application space. Thanks for the tips.

Significant as in pharmacy-related or significant in some other way? My undergrad scholarship came with a significant amount of tuition support but it was not pharmacy related. I don't think that's significant enough to take up application space. Thanks for the tips.
It was a full-ride scholarship I earned when I graduated high school.

I just don't want "fluff" to clutter up what I want the residency directors to see the most.

We were going to start sorting through applicants tomorrow, but only have 2 completed applications and another 10 pending transcripts/LOR....last year we had over a 100 applications. What are you guys waiting for?

We were going to start sorting through applicants tomorrow, but only have 2 completed applications and another 10 pending transcripts/LOR....last year we had over a 100 applications. What are you guys waiting for?
When is your deadline? Over 100 applications around this time last year..yikes..

One program asked for some information but not a peep from anyone else. None of the application deadlines have passed so I'm not that surprised though. :shrug:

My application, transcripts, and 2/3 letters have been in for about 10 days now. Waiting on that third letter!

That's why i asked four. I have 2/3. We'll see who finishes first ;)

Gah that's smart. I should have done that. Still waiting on 2 letters : ( Wonder if professors/preceptors know how much they freak students out when they wait until the very last minute to submit haha.

Tough time of the year for preceptors too with the holidays.

Gah that's smart. I should have done that. Still waiting on 2 letters : ( Wonder if professors/preceptors know how much they freak students out when they wait until the very last minute to submit haha.
I'll send my last letter writer a reminder on Monday. My first deadline is 1/1.

All these applicants from schools I have never heard of.... Does no one have work experience anymore?

Advice:
1.Get the institution name correct...seriously, that is just dumb...
2. Don't be lazy...fill out all sections of the application. Not doing thisautomatically makes me skip over your application...I hate lazy residents.
3. Make sure your cover letter is institution specific. It is great you love psych and amb care...but we don't have that so why do you want to come here?
4. Running in a 5k isn't community service...

Reactions: 1 users
All these applicants from schools I have never heard of.... Does no one have work experience anymore?

Advice:
2. Don't be lazy...fill out all sections of the application. Not doing thisautomatically makes me skip over your application...I hate lazy residents.
3. Make sure your cover letter is institution specific. It is great you love psych and amb care...but we don't have that so why do you want to come here?

Lol, keep your tips coming KARM! They are helpful :)

How did you guys select what residencies you wanted to apply to?

The reason I ask is because it baffles me that someone would make the mistake KARM mentioned... Accident ??? Just picking random residencies???

A friend told me that happened at her place too!

Last edited:
Just a heads up, PhorCAS will be down from December 31st at 1pm to January 2nd for those that have deadlines between that time! It only shows up on the sign in page, in case you've remained logged in. Good luck everyone!

I got confirmation my transcripts were sent out Monday so phorcas should get them by tomorrow (hopefully)
I'm getting nervous about this too. Mine was sent around the 15th and still nothing, I was about to call when i saw the big "do not call about transcripts" on the log-in page haha, I guess it is just taking longer because of the holidays. Hopefully ours will get processed soon! If not then i guess that's just out of my control.

Mine has a 0 under received as well as not received, i hope that's the norm until it gets processed?

Edit: checked tonight and mine is now there

Last edited:
I'm getting nervous about this too. Mine was sent around the 15th and still nothing, I was about to call when i saw the big "do not call about transcripts" on the log-in page haha, I guess it is just taking longer because of the holidays. Hopefully ours will get processed soon! If not then i guess that's just out of my control.

Mine has a 0 under received as well as not received, i hope that's the norm until it gets processed?

Yep, mine said 0 for both until a transcript posted, now it says "received: 1" and "not received: 0"- whatever that means.
I've been told of issues regarding phorcas not putting transcripts up because of some confusion as to where it came from or what name to place them under. Apparently mine went out on the 19th. I'll give them the "10 business" (lol..anyone else catch that?) that they mention on the website, after that I'm calling. I feel like I'd only blame myself for not checking up on it if something did end up incorrect.

Just a heads up, PhorCAS will be down from December 31st at 1pm to January 2nd for those that have deadlines between that time! It only shows up on the sign in page, in case you've remained logged in. Good luck everyone!

PhorCAS won't be down. The offices will be closed for assistance, but you can still submit your applications.

woot! last letter went in today!

it's going to be a very interesting few weeks...

For those of you who have submitted the programs...I just want to make sure I've submitted the programs in PhORCAS correctly. So I e-submitted the first 4 programs but then after that, when I add more programs to be submitted, the e-submit button is no longer there and I just click on 'pay now' to submit more programs. On the page where it says program designations, it just shows me a list of submitted programs. Does that sound similar to what everyone has been doing and what it actually looks like? Also, can you see the status of programs under 'status' or just transcripts, payments...etc. Thanks!

For those of you who have submitted the programs...I just want to make sure I've submitted the programs in PhORCAS correctly. So I e-submitted the first 4 programs but then after that, when I add more programs to be submitted, the e-submit button is no longer there and I just click on 'pay now' to submit more programs. On the page where it says program designations, it just shows me a list of submitted programs. Does that sound similar to what everyone has been doing and what it actually looks like? Also, can you see the status of programs under 'status' or just transcripts, payments...etc. Thanks!

this is correct.

Advice:
Facepalm.

Sigh, I think I'm going miss the deadline for a couple of programs I planned on applying to. One of my letter writers haven't even started, and it's past the date I told them I planned to submit. I don't know what else to do since I already brought it up with them.

Were you able to upload more letters of intent, designate LORs to the new programs, etc.? I wasn't sure if hitting E-submit meant you couldn't make any more changes to your app or not. E.g. can you submit to 2 programs with 1/1 deadlines, then continue uploading LOIs for programs and submitting for later deadlines?