2013-2014 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Will this affect medical school students, or is DePaul only involved on the undergraduate level?

Members don't see this ad :)
More research opportunities, more alumni networking, more admission to events/conferences, and access to facilities (libraries, labs, gyms).

that is great for RFU...a relatively unknown university. hopefully its a beginning to finally establishing CMS as no longer a "lower tier" med school.

Yeah, I've heard they've made a lot of positive changes recently and are quickly becoming very competitive. Which is unfortunate, because I really want to stay in Chicago. :(

As a depaul alum, I have spoken to many people at depaul about this and it really isn't going to change anything. This is just a new 'alliance' so it's getting attention but RFU already had the same type of affiliation with lake forest college as well. Many undergrad schools he affiliations w med schools

Good luck guys !

As a depaul alum, I have spoken to many people at depaul about this and it really isn't going to change anything. This is just a new 'alliance' so it's getting attention but RFU already had the same type of affiliation with lake forest college as well. Many undergrad schools he affiliations w med schools

Good luck guys !
okay, sorry if this comes off a little harsh, but i dont think you could be any more wrong. first of all a "alliance" with lake forest college? where and what and who are they? most people in this country know where depaul is. its a pretty large institution which has far and away a ton more resources than what some tiny school has which no one has ever heard of. just my 2 cents. and at this time. rfu could use some "good" attention to their name

Hey, everyone. I am an M3 at RFUMS and I just wanted to shed some light on some stuff for you. While I am not aware of any real link between our school and Lake Forest College (besides the awesome pizza place in Lake Forest) the alliance with Depaul has and will have even more tangible improvements. For one, there will be a brand new building opening on campus this fall with state-of-the-art classrooms, a new cafeteria, a new gym, etc. This is a direct result of the alliance. There will also be more research opportunities (though there are plenty already) as well as access to other Depaul resources.
As for our reputation/name, this is a common question/misconception. My recommendation would be to ask people in the medical field who know about us. We have a very good reputation, especially around chicago and california. We have world-famous researchers teaching us and alumni around the world who are leaders in their fields (and really helpful to current students, btw). So I urge you to see for yourself before you listen to any bad hype from uninformed people.

There are a couple of other students on here, so feel free to let us know if you guys have any questions/concerns we can help with.

I'm applying here with a 3.8/30. Good luck everyone!

Applying w/ a 3.99, mcat in July!

Unless you are going into nursing, and you went to depaul, it really wot impact you other than a new cafeteria as the M3 pointed out. Also, I wouldn't consider lake forest college to be a no name school. Again, I went to depaul and I'm from the area and lake forest college as a far superior reputation as a science/pre med school. It's also 10 minutes from rfu and many students from LF do research there. Really this is stupid and I won't go any further but I can tell u that depaul isn't going to change the name of rosalind franklin much-- and it doesn't need to! It's a great school. anyway, good luck to you and all others !

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I'm Canadian and thinking of applying here. I have a s/cGPA >3.94, and a current MCAT of 28 Q (6VR). What MCAT would I need to pass screening? I have a re-take for Aug 3rd. Do you think I would pass primary application screening with my current stats? On their website it says they have no MCAT breakdown cut-offs, and I was hoping my GPA would compensate? Should I just wait for my new score?

Hi guys,

I'm Canadian and thinking of applying here. I have a s/cGPA >3.94, and a current MCAT of 28 Q (6VR). What MCAT would I need to pass screening? I have a re-take for Aug 3rd. Do you think I would pass primary application screening with my current stats? On their website it says they have no MCAT breakdown cut-offs, and I was hoping my GPA would compensate? Should I just wait for my new score?

I'm not sure where RFU cuts off in particular, but I know that most people think 8 is the magic number for screenings but also that 10 is what you want in each section. Most of the schools I called with this kind of question were nice enough to answer -- worth a shot, :).

The essay prompts haven't seemed to change from year to year, but does anyone know what the character or word limits were for last years prompts?

Applying! I hope the go for the research and all the ec and my gpa isn't that big of problem!

I don't think there are any word limits. It seems like every thread in the recent past has complained about not knowing how little or much to write for the essays!

I'm looking for a little advice on the "life in discovery" prompt. I'm a reapplicant and submitted my primary to RFU last year, but not the secondary. One of my most meaningful experiences in research from last year responds indirectly to this question, and I didn't include it in my primary application this year.

If I tweak it to respond more directly to this question, do you think it is okay to include? I don't want to be perceived as lazy, but re-reading it, the idea seems perfect.

Hey guys,

applying to Rosy this application cycle. I have a 3.9 GPA, 31 MCAT, tons of research including a masters degree, tons of shadowing/volunteer hours. Usually terrible in interviews though.

I was hoping that any of the current med students or anyone involved with Rosy could tell me a little bit more about the school and location? Truth be told, I applied to Rosy because someone told me to but I don't know a thing about the school. Or Chicago for that matter other than the fact that it's absurdly cold there. I'm a small town guy so big cities intimidate me a little bit. Currently live in an Atlanta suburb so the 'burbs don't really frighten me.

so do med students train alongside other healthcare profession students at rfu?

hey, I am just going to send you a PM, and you can ask whatever questions you want.

As for Captain Sisko, the answer is yes. We do train alongside all of the other healthcare professions students. You will take pathology with the pathology assistants, pharmacology with the pharmacy students, etc. You also have a class called HMTD where you are put into groups with a rep from each different school from the university.

so do med students train alongside other healthcare profession students at rfu?

I strongly disagree with the above poster. Yes, you take some preclinical courses with other students. The main result of this is that you will realize that podiatrists are real doctors. And yes, there are some touchy feely minor courses like HMTD where you get together with students in other professions and are forced to waste time discussing things which none of you have any experience with yet.

But during clinical rotations, where you actually begin learning to be a doctor, your experience will thankfully not be any different than at any other school. You will generally work exclusively with other medical students, residents, and attending. Of course on some rotations there will be a PA on your team, and you will get used to interacting with nurses, but it's no more "interprofessional" than any other school in the country.

I strongly disagree with the above poster. Yes, you take some preclinical courses with other students. The main result of this is that you will realize that podiatrists are real doctors. And yes, there are some touchy feely minor courses like HMTD where you get together with students in other professions and are forced to waste time discussing things which none of you have any experience with yet.

But during clinical rotations, where you actually begin learning to be a doctor, your experience will thankfully not be any different than at any other school. You will generally work exclusively with other medical students, residents, and attending. Of course on some rotations there will be a PA on your team, and you will get used to interacting with nurses, but it's no more "interprofessional" than any other school in the country.

gotcha. Thanks for your candor.

How do you feel about the relatively large class size?

gotcha. Thanks for your candor.

How do you feel about the relatively large class size?

BTW, I had a very good experience at CMS and think it's a great school. I just wanted to clarify that the whole interprofessionalism thing doesn't substantially affect students' experience there.

Large class size makes it more likely for you to meet more people you get along with and want to hang out with. Probably more importantly it means that there are a lot of CMS alumni out there, so residency programs are more likely to be familiar with the school.

Sorry, I was really talking about your actual classes (1st and 2nd year). 3rd and 4th year are as stated above

Anyone receive the secondaries yet? I heard from last year's thread that they screen, so I'm waiting to get confirmation before I actually start writing.

Hey guys - starting the cycle. Good luck to everyone. PB GPA 3.6 32 MCAT.

New to all of this - when you talk about screening, what exactly does that mean? Basically if you don't get a secondary it's over before you even start?

Do they really screen? What this minimal mcat needed for the secondary?

Idk why people don't like screening ? It saves you time and money since they were never going to consider you anyways

Hey guys - starting the cycle. Good luck to everyone. PB GPA 3.6 32 MCAT.

New to all of this - when you talk about screening, what exactly does that mean? Basically if you don't get a secondary it's over before you even start?
Yes, it means that if you don't meet their minimum requirements they won't even send you a secondary. Helpful for you to not get hopes up and not spend the cash submitting at a school where you wouldn't stand a chance anyways, yet still disappointing as well. Usually screening occurs as a simply numerical cutoff (i.e. if they screen based on MCAT, they might not look at any applicants with less than say a 30).

Idk why people don't like screening ? It saves you time and money since they were never going to consider you anyways

+1. I wish every school would screen so we know who is taking us seriously before throwing away wads of cash.

If you are screened out and the school decides to deny you a secondary, are you informed of this decision or do you just never hear back? I imagine this might vary by school...

If you are screened out and the school decides to deny you a secondary, are you informed of this decision or do you just never hear back? I imagine this might vary by school...

I am pretty sure they tell you. Not hearing back would be even more torture, lol. Did anyone receive a secondary? At the moment, it appears as if no one received one.

I am pretty sure they tell you. Not hearing back would be even more torture, lol. Did anyone receive a secondary? At the moment, it appears as if no one received one.
I applied here last year and submitted a secondary, but they never actually sent me a rejection. I got zero contact from them after submitting my secondary.

I applied here last year and submitted a secondary, but they never actually sent me a rejection. I got zero contact from them after submitting my secondary.

Did you try emailing or calling them?

Last edited:
Can anyone give me some idea on my chances here? 3.38 gpa/ 34 MCAT, CA resident, decent EC s, Hispanic. My MCAT is ok but my gpa and the fact that I'm from California kind of scares me.

probably better than a solid 40% of applicants to this school.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm thinking that a lot less than 40% of applicants get in though :p

What do you want me to say? below average GPA, above average MCAT. "Holistic Review" at a school with a big class, and you are URM. Many things in your favor, but probably not all that dissimilar to the middle 30 or 40% of applicants at RFU. I'm in the same boat.

Can someone please post the actual questions and such from the secondary? I might be mistaken but I don't see any of it here...

Has anyone received a secondary yet?

Has anyone received a secondary yet?

I don't think so, which is strange considering last year secondaries were sent out in June, I think.

Maybe they are switching to a new computer system or changing prompts?? You'd think they'd have it all figured out already, though...

I don't think so, which is strange considering last year secondaries were sent out in June, I think.

Maybe they are switching to a new computer system or changing prompts?? You'd think they'd have it all figured out already, though...

+1 nothing here

Yea, what's going on? It seems like none of us received anything from here. Anyone called them?

Nothing here. Infact I'm still waiting to hear back from 9 programs (some MD some DO) and I was completed on 6/13 (AMCAS) & 6/21 (AACOMAS)

Nothing here. Infact I'm still waiting to hear back from 9 programs (some MD some DO) and I was completed on 6/13 (AMCAS) & 6/21 (AACOMAS)

I'm waiting on eight (just heard from the ninth yesterday). I was definitely not expecting the sudden lull.