2022-2023 Chicago Med (Rosalind Franklin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrawing my A soon as well! I hope waitlist movement is soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey fam i need advice since only you guys understand the state of anxiety this WL puts us in 😭 I secured an apartment for my DO school, should I sign that lease or try to drag it out till Monday since seats opened up?
Definitely wait, this is one of the few schools notorious for accepting up until orientation

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
People withdrawing.... and still no news
We can only be patient. The entire process of candidates declining the A, school committee picking the next set of candidates from the WL will take a few days before the next set of As are sent out. Folks who are getting of the WL at their dream school will take a few days to do their due diligence before actually sending their decline at RFU. Also, some schools have CTE dates in June will trigger a few declines and WL movement hopefully sooner than later. Good luck to all on the WL and congratulations to folks who are getting an A at their dream schools.

• Care
Hey fam i need advice since only you guys understand the state of anxiety this WL puts us in 😭 I secured an apartment for my DO school, should I sign that lease or try to drag it out till Monday since seats opened up?
I would try to drag it out until the end of day Monday. Then again that's just me. You have some people who needed peace and committed to their DO school last month, and you have some people who will legit start school at a DO program in July only to withdraw because they got a last minute MD acceptance. The latter is a tad crazy, but they legit eat the money wasted in apartment leases, month-long hotel stays, ect.

Just got the A, will be declining... good luck to everyone still waiting!!!

Just got the A, will be declining... good luck to everyone still waiting!!!
Congrats, … just curious because it seems that usually RFU sends As on mondays , so you got the A today or earlier this week ?

Just recieved an alternate list continued interest email--wondering if there is anything I should reply (like a LOI) if I still am interested in a spot.

Reactions: 3 users
Just recieved an alternate list continued interest email--wondering if there is anything I should reply (like a LOI) if I still am interested in a spot.
I thought they do not accept LOI. It seems like you only reply if you are interested in withdrawing, right?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Expected some movement on SDN but unfortunately even after a few withdrawing their As, no movement on SDN yet. I think the class is full. Time to focus on 2024 secondaries :(

Expected some movement on SDN but unfortunately even after a few withdrawing their As, no movement on SDN yet. I think the class is full. Time to focus on 2024 secondaries :(
So I think their FB group is about 160 and class size can go to about 190? Also July 15 CTE? I know this hope is painful but I’m with you and think there is still a chance?!

Previous years at RFU have had Facebook groups of over 200 members, so take that as you will (current FB group at 162 members), I think their class size is 199 but not 100% sure. The number of people in the FB group has also been changing each week, so it appears movement is happening but maybe it's just not being reported on SDN. It has certainly been a long wait so far but we're nearing the end at least!

Previous years at RFU have had Facebook groups of over 200 members, so take that as you will (current FB group at 162 members), I think their class size is 199 but not 100% sure. The number of people in the FB group has also been changing each week, so it appears movement is happening but maybe it's just not being reported on SDN. It has certainly been a long wait so far but we're nearing the end at least!
Can confirm, people are still joining the groupme. Don't lose hope, movement is still happening :)

Also got accepted here recently! All that waiting, hoping and praying to St Jude worked 😀, good luck to everyone still waiting, there might still be some more movement after the CTE date.

Also got accepted here recently! All that waiting, hoping and praying to St Jude worked , good luck to everyone still waiting, there might still be some more movement after the CTE date.

[mention]baseballmed21 [/mention] have you guys gotten accepted into the fb group yet? Also is there a groupme link to join?

Just got the Acceptance this AM!!!! So excited 😊

Would any current students be willing to share what resources/ strategies they found helpful for first year classes at RFU? Would really appreciate it!

I don't know of many who like to go on SDN anymore lol. I mean you'll get a ton once you come here- more resources than anyone can manage lol. But I have 3 recommendations. 1.) Read/listen to "Make it Stick: The Science of Successful Learning" by Roedinger, McDaniel, and Brown. You only got so much time to learn a mountain of stuff- gotta be efficient. 2.) Anki. I am pro-Anki, and if you choose to use it, I recommend downloading the AnKing, UMICH Anatomy, and Clark's 100 Anatomy Concepts and following Dr. Jubbal and Zachary Highley's advice on it for med school. 3.) AMBOSS is a must. Sketchy, Pathoma, Osmosis, Boards and Beyond, ect are hit or miss from person to person. But AMBOSS is pretty universal.

Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate your time answering this. I know that they will tell us more during orientation, but are some of these resources useful for some classes more than others? For instance I heard that SFOM is mostly lecture based, so is Anking and AMBOSS still useful for it? Also, is lecture material heavily emphasized for most classes or do most students use third party resources?

Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate your time answering this. I know that they will tell us more during orientation, but are some of these resources useful for some classes more than others? For instance I heard that SFOM is mostly lecture based, so is Anking and AMBOSS still useful for it? Also, is lecture material heavily emphasized for most classes or do most students use third party resources?
Some students do no lecture and 3rd party it all, but I do not recommend that. Especially for SFOM, skin, and CPR with prof written stuff. I recommend using 3rd party for supplement- not to replace. AMBOSS is always useful, even in SFOM. AnKing not so much since you have a lot of professor written stuff, but I still managed to do well in SFOM with Anking because I made SFOM supplement decks for the content not in the AnKing. As for other 3rd party resources- well, hit or miss depending on how one studies. For instance, I use a ton of Osmosis and AMBOSS, occasional B&B, and rare for Sketchy/Pathoma/First Aid. But that's me. Others live and die by Sketchy and First Aid.

Would any current students be willing to share what resources/ strategies they found helpful for first year classes at RFU? Would really appreciate it!
My study strategy when I first matriculated was much different than what I do now. You may find that the strategies that work for your peers may not work for you. You may also find that you'll need to find a new way to study altogether. Before I started, I set a few rules that I have not yet broken:
  1. Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night but aim for 9-10 (I normally sleep from 11pm - 8am)
  2. Spend 90 minutes with family during lunch and dinner
  3. Dedicate at least 90 minutes of free time to my family per day outside of eating
  4. Avoid burnout at any point at all costs

For Anatomy and SFOM, I would spend 8-10 hours a day, Monday to Friday, watching lectures, taking notes, and reviewing pre-made anki decks. Complete Anatomy and Ninja Nerd were my favorite third-party resources for these classes. Worked out well and was scoring low-mid 90's on all of my exams.

Afterwards, I decided to only do enough to pass. It didn't make much sense to me to aim for top 20% when we're Pass/Fail so I switched to Anki full-time. For IIH, I barely looked at the lectures and used premade Anki decks for about 2-4 hours a day, which resulted in me scoring in the mid-70's. When the Skin Block rolled around, I started to transition to AnKing. I used the lectures to create decks and increased my exam average to around an 80%. During this time, I also used some Sketchy but didn't care for it.

Finally, for GI, Cardio, Pulm, and Renal, I settled on the following routine:
  • Sun/Mon/Tues - Spend about 2-4 hours per day going through lecture slides and creating filtered AnKing deck for the week
  • Wed/Thur - Spend about 2-4 hours per day learning cards and doing practice questions
  • Fri - Focus on schema and take the rest of the day off
  • Sat - Day off
During exam weeks, I would spend about net 8 hours/day reviewing/studying and also utilize USMLE RX practice questions. With this, I averaged mid 80's on my exams. Going forward, I'll probably just dedicate more time learning the material from the get-go so I spend less time cramming during exam week.

Last edited:
My study strategy when I first matriculated was much different than what I do now. You may find that the strategies that work for your peers may not work for you. You may also find that you'll need to find a new way to study altogether. Before I started, I set a few rules that I have not yet broken:
  1. Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night but aim for 9-10 (I normally sleep from 11pm - 8am)
  2. Spend 90 minutes with family during lunch and dinner
  3. Dedicate at least 90 minutes of free time to my family per day outside of eating
  4. Avoid burnout at any point at all costs

For Anatomy and SFOM, I would spend 8-10 hours a day, Monday to Friday, watching lectures, taking notes, and reviewing pre-made anki decks. Complete Anatomy and Ninja Nerd were my favorite third-party resources for these classes. Worked out well and was scoring low-mid 90's on all of my exams.

Afterwards, I decided to only do enough to pass. It didn't make much sense to me to aim for top 20% when we're Pass/Fail so I switched to Anki full-time. For IIH, I barely looked at the lectures and used premade Anki decks for about 2-4 hours a day, which resulted in me scoring in the mid-70's. When the Skin Block rolled around, I started to transition to AnKing. I used the lectures to create decks and increased my exam average to around an 80%. During this time, I also used some Sketchy but didn't care for it.

Finally, for GI, Cardio, Pulm, and Renal, I settled on the following routine:
  • Sun/Mon/Tues - Spend about 2-4 hours per day going through lecture slides and creating filtered AnKing deck for the week
  • Wed/Thur - Spend about 2-4 hours per day learning cards and doing practice questions
  • Fri - Focus on schema and take the rest of the day off
  • Sat - Day off
During exam weeks, I would spend about net 8 hours/day reviewing/studying and also utilize USMLE RX practice questions. With this, I averaged mid 80's on my exams. Going forward, I'll probably just dedicate more time learning the material from the get-go so I spend less time cramming during exam week.
Thanks so much for the suggestions, I appreciate your time! I’m somewhat new to Anki in general, so what does creating “filtered” Anking decks mean and are the other premade decks that you use the ones given to us by upper year students? Also as I will be commuting to school, do most people go in person for the first few weeks? And how do you know which classes heavily emphasize lecture materials and which don’t? I know this will vary by student but during the first part of M1 (sfom/anatomy) did you cut back on studying on the weekends? Thanks again, it really helps to hear from current students.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the suggestions, I appreciate your time! I’m somewhat new to Anki in general, so what does creating “filtered” Anking decks mean and are the other premade decks that you use the ones given to us by upper year students? Also as I will be commuting to school, do most people go in person for the first few weeks? And how do you know which classes heavily emphasize lecture materials and which don’t? I know this will vary by student but during the first part of M1 (sfom/anatomy) did you cut back on studying on the weekends? Thanks again, it really helps to hear from current students.
The filtered deck is just how I do things. The process is something like this:
  1. Open lecture slides and AnKing
  2. Enter relevant keyword (e.g. "Myocardial Infarction" or "MI")
  3. Flag relevant cards for an entire week's worth of lectures
  4. Go back to the home page and press "F" to create a filtered deck
  5. Create new empty deck (e.g. "Cardio Week 1")
  6. Move flagged cards into new deck
  7. Unflag cards
The premade decks are found in a shared Google Drive that you'll get access to once the academic year starts and people start communicating with you.

Yes, most people attend lectures at first to try things out. About 75% of people will eventually stop going to lectures. I went like 3 times and decided that it wasn't for me. I even decided that it wasn't worth watching the recorded lectures.

Most of the exams we take utilize both NBME and professor-written questions (I think like 60 and 30 questions, respectively). Thus, lecture slides are generally representative of NBME material and vice-versa. Most students will utilize student-made Anki decks for Anatomy and SFOM. They will then transition to AnKing for IIH and after.

Yes, I generally do not study on the Fri/Sat/Sun. The most I'll do is dedicate 2-3 hours TOTAL to creating an Anki deck, but aside from that, you can find me playing games, pursuing hobbies, or hanging out with family.

is anyone able to share what the lowest LM or just MCAT is that they have heard of gettin an A here? i am URM IS and have 3.77 gpa but low mcat ty! and congrats everyone