2013-2014 The University of Toledo College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tots

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Wow am I the first post....well anyway

I am going into the MSBS this fall, and was wondering if anyone knows if we are expected to use new letters rather than the ones used to get into the MSBS. I am not sure if MSBS students often get letters from Toledo faculty or if we just get new ones from our past university. Also, any general tips about applying? I was also wondering if we eventually are asked if we are an MSBS student in the secondary or something so we can be organized. Thanks!

Received " receipt of your AMCAS application" email.

There was no secondary attached.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you happen to know what their screening criteria and ranges are? I would guess its GPA>3.3 MCAT>26 ?

Do you happen to know what their screening criteria and ranges are? I would guess its GPA>3.3 MCAT>26 ?

Sorry, I do not know this, but I would think it would be even lower. Secondary applications are a means of making the all important dollar, so the more applications they receive, the more money they get. My best guess is GPA>3.0-3.1, MCAT>25. Just a guess though.

Well, not to freak anyone out, but I got rejected within an hour of receiving that email. My stats are cGPA 3.57, sGPA 3.59, 31 MCAT, but I am a 3rd time reapplicant so maybe that's why. I received the secondary in the previous cycles as well.

Don't they have a thing about only being able to reapply so many times? Or am I thinking of a different school.

Well, not to freak anyone out, but I got rejected within an hour of receiving that email. My stats are cGPA 3.57, sGPA 3.59, 31 MCAT, but I am a 3rd time reapplicant so maybe that's why. I received the secondary in the previous cycles as well.

Did they make you pay the fee before rejecting you? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just got the secondary.

Does anyone see a word/character limit? I couldn't find one.

Just got the secondary. Very easy!! Only a "diversity" essay.

Does anyone see a word/character limit? I couldn't find one.

I'd say it's not quite a diversity essay. it's describing where you've demonstrated cultural competence, same as last year.

Could you post the prompt? :)

The University of Toledo College of Medicine is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competence is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence.

I'd say it's not quite a diversity essay. it's describing where you've demonstrated cultural competence, same as last year.

Yep, you are correct. I only read the first sentence LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they make you pay the fee before rejecting you? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nah, they didn't make me pay the fee or I would have been pretty peeved, although I know it happens.

Actually, I just received the secondary application email as well. I assume the first email was just a mistake? Anyone else get a rejection email the first day their AMCAS was received?

For those who care, the essay limit is 2000 characters. I learned the hard way... lol

I received a secondary with no MCAT yet. Toledo is the closest med school from me, and it would be amazing to attend! So excited. I'm glad that they didn't change the secondary. I've had that one written for at least a year now. Good luck to everyone! :luck:

Hey guys, quick question here.

The essay question defines "cultural competency" as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care.
Would I be talking about a situation I've experienced in health care or do you think this a general question of how we've experienced culture diversity (something along that line).

Thanks

Hey guys, quick question here.

The essay question defines "cultural competency" as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care.
Would I be talking about a situation I've experienced in health care or do you think this a general question of how we've experienced culture diversity (something along that line).

Thanks

I think either from what I remember from previous years. I wrote about a situation that started in high school and extended to when I worked in the hospital.

Just submitted. :love: Toledo.

could someone kind of give me an example of what they mean by cultural competence. Would that be dealing with someone of a different cultural background? Having a hard time of picking an experience. Im afraid i might focus on something I think is part of a peoples culture and it turns out was just a characteristic of that person.

I think either from what I remember from previous years. I wrote about a situation that started in high school and extended to when I worked in the hospital.

Just submitted. :love: Toledo.

Okay so am I going crazy or what...

I clicked the application complete button, agreed to the terms, and submitted my payment of 80.00....but when I go to the UT page it still says that the application is in progress and I can still make edits to it..

DID I MISS A STEP???

P.S. I submitted yesterday

I clicked the application complete button, agreed to the terms, and submitted my payment of 80.00....but when I go to the UT page it still says that the application is in progress and I can still make edits to it..

DID I MISS A STEP???

No one?

Not sure. I applied yesterday with no issues, and received an e-mail about half an hour ago that my application has been marked as complete and will be reviewed. I would give them a call if I were you. It couldn't hurt.

Not sure. I applied yesterday with no issues, and received an e-mail about half an hour ago that my application has been marked as complete and will be reviewed. I would give them a call if I were you. It couldn't hurt.

Alright thank you. I have been emailing them so hopefully this gets worked out

Alright thank you. I have been emailing them so hopefully this gets worked out

I got an e-mail saying that I was "complete." Hopefully, they get back with you. I have e-mail their admissions before about a question that I had about tuition, and they got back with me extremely quickly. :)

DID I MISS A STEP???

How did you see that your application is in progress? I submitted an application yesterday afternoon and received a payment confirmation e-mail, but no secondary received confirmation e-mail. When I log in to their portal, I just get an option to create a new secondary -- there is no way to see if my secondary actually went through.

edit: nm, just got an e-mail saying it was received.

Last edited:
Dumb question, when you guys are doing some of these longer character essays, are you doing the whole intro, body and conclusion thingy?

Dumb question, when you guys are doing some of these longer character essays, are you doing the whole intro, body and conclusion thingy?

i did the starr technique.

situation
task
action
resolution
reflection

you can frame it into the structure you're talking about.

How did you see that your application is in progress? I submitted an application yesterday afternoon and received a payment confirmation e-mail, but no secondary received confirmation e-mail. When I log in to their portal, I just get an option to create a new secondary -- there is no way to see if my secondary actually went through.

edit: nm, just got an e-mail saying it was received.

Toledo does not have a status page.

Can't believe it's already next cycle. Good luck to all applying here!! :)

Hey guys,

So I received my secondary soon after they sent me a receipt of my primary app. I am OOS. For the essay prompt (on cultural competence) I think you can write about an experience where you showed cultural competence (even if it's not particularly in health care) and then maybe connect to how you are planning to show that in health care in the future.

Hey guys,

So I received my secondary soon after they sent me a receipt of my primary app. I am OOS. For the essay prompt (on cultural competence) I think you can write about an experience where you showed cultural competence (even if it's not particularly in health care) and then maybe connect to how you are planning to show that in health care in the future.

The essay doesn't have to be about health care; they just want to see how you handle such a situation where there is a cultural difference. I know that I didn't write about a healthcare- related experience, or tie it back into healthcare.

Does anyone know if you applied for the fee waiver if they automatically submit your app for you? Because I tried to go back and submit but it had me start all over?!??

Does anyone know if you applied for the fee waiver if they automatically submit your app for you? Because I tried to go back and submit but it had me start all over?!??

email them letting them know you received a fee waiver (attach document for proof).

Interview Invite today!!! In State

II today by email. IS 3.98 GPA 37 MCAT Complete 7/19

Also received II on 8/7, IS applicant. From what I have gathered, there are two, ~40 minute one-on-one interviews on interview day. Anyone know of a good source to prepare for potential questions that may be asked? Thanks!

Also received II on 8/7, IS applicant. From what I have gathered, there are two, ~40 minute one-on-one interviews on interview day. Anyone know of a good source to prepare for potential questions that may be asked? Thanks!
Thoughts on travel arrangements? Should I fly into DTW or the toledo airport? Cheapest airlines? Shuttle services (I don't drive).
Interviewing on September 26th.

Thoughts on travel arrangements? Should I fly into DTW or the toledo airport? Cheapest airlines? Shuttle services (I don't drive).
Interviewing on September 26th.

I'll be there Sept. 23. I am not familiar with the cheapest airlines...I am well within driving distance so I have never dealt with the issue. For what it's worth, I know some BGSU and UT students drive to DTW for flights so that may be a better option.

My concern right now is interview prep. I feel confident in my people skills but I'd really like to know if there are any "go-to" sources for prep, especially any info that may pertain particularly to UTCOM. I will be studying the school website and such but any other info would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

I interviewed last year. It's a very basic interview. Tell me about yourself. Why medicine, what are your interests, why Toledo, and other simple stuff. They just want to get to know you better. Just make sure you know about the school and what you put on your application. Good luck!

I interviewed last year. It's a very basic interview. Tell me about yourself. Why medicine, what are your interests, why Toledo, and other simple stuff. They just want to get to know you better. Just make sure you know about the school and what you put on your application. Good luck!

Thank you!