2013-2014 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee.

2.How will your family, community, academic, work or other life experiences enhance the UC Davis School of Medicine community?

3.Based upon your personal life experiences, what do you foresee as challenges in medical school and in your future career?

4.What have you been doing since submitting your AMCAS application? Include contact information for any references related to these experiences.

5. The Rural-Program In Medical Education is designed for students interested in becoming physician leaders in rural California communities. Rural-PRIME curricular enhancements include: weekly seminars in the first and second years, leadership, community engagement and cultural competency, hands-on skill sessions, mentorship and teaching with rural physicians, clinical rotations in rural communities in the third year, leadership and research opportunities related to rural health in the final year. Link to Rural-PRIME Website: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogr...ime/index.html. To apply to Rural PRIME, please respond to the following 3 questions. Otherwise please insert "not applicable". A. Please tell us why you would like to be considered for the program. B. Please describe your experiences working with underserved communities. C. What are your future plans to practice in a rural underserved community?

6.In 2014, UCDSOM will launch a new 3-year pathway for students committed to primary care careers, the Accelerated Competency-based Education in Primary Care (ACE-PC) program. Davis ACE-PC allows a select group of eligible students to complete medical school in 3 years and receive a conditional acceptance to a UC Davis or Kaiser Permanente Northern California residency program in primary care. Students who are accepted to the UCDSOM 4-year program and who plan a career in primary care Internal Medicine or Family Medicine will be considered for the program. For more information, please see http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogr...-PC/about.html. If you would like to be considered for Davis ACE-PC, please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for the program. If you are not interested, please insert "Not Applicable".

7. The UC Davis - UCSF Fresno - UC Merced San Joaquin Valley Program in Medical Education (SJV PRIME) is a tailored leadership pathway for students committed to providing care for the medically underserved in the San Joaquin Valley (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogr...ime/index.html). To apply to SJV PRIME, please respond to the following 3 questions. Otherwise please insert "not applicable". A. Please tell us about your ties to the San Joaquin Valley. B. Please describe an experience where you learned about a challenge in the San Joaquin Valley. C. After you complete your medical training, where (city or county) do you intend to practice and why?

8. The UC Davis - UCSF Fresno - UC Merced San Joaquin Valley Program in Medical Education (SJV PRIME) is a tailored leadership pathway for students committed to providing care for the medically underserved in the San Joaquin Valley (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogr...ime/index.html). To apply to SJV PRIME, please respond to the following 3 questions. Otherwise please insert "not applicable". A. Please tell us about your ties to the San Joaquin Valley. B. Please describe an experience where you learned about a challenge in the San Joaquin Valley. C. After you complete your medical training, where (city or county) do you intend to practice and why?

9. The Physician Scientist Training Program (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogr...h.D/index.html) is designed for students interested in becoming clinician investigators and leads to a dual degree (MD-PhD). The program includes 4 years of dedicated research in addition to the standard medical school curriculum. If you are interested in this program, please describe your research experience, qualifications, and future goals. Otherwise, please insert "Not applicable".

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at last years secondary prompt, the final question seems very similar to the 3 most meaningful experiences section found in the primary application. Should we copy and paste that section? How should we approach this?

hey guys im applying to davis this year and i just wanted to gauge how good my extracurriculars are if u wouldn't mind?

Manager of local donation center, Tutor at community center, shadowing of surgeon overseas, active member of bmes, part of the student health advisory committee, volunteered for 150 hours at Stanford Hospital, treasurer of an interfaith club, presented a poster and received acknowledgment of a good presentation from judges, done research regarding microfluidic device fabrication, honorary member of tau beta pi, job at intuitive surgical doing validation testing, starting new research involving surface modification of a particular polymer to increase bio compatibility so that it can be used to make a biomedical device.

Let me know your honest truth. Thanks! If needed I have a 3.9 GPA and 30 MCAT Engineering Major at SJSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys im applying to davis this year and i just wanted to gauge how good my extracurriculars are if u wouldn't mind?

Manager of local donation center, Tutor at community center, shadowing of surgeon overseas, active member of bmes, part of the student health advisory committee, volunteered for 150 hours at Stanford Hospital, treasurer of an interfaith club, presented a poster and received acknowledgment of a good presentation from judges, done research regarding microfluidic device fabrication, honorary member of tau beta pi, job at intuitive surgical doing validation testing, starting new research involving surface modification of a particular polymer to increase bio compatibility so that it can be used to make a biomedical device.

Let me know your honest truth. Thanks! If needed I have a 3.9 GPA and 30 MCAT Engineering Major at SJSU.

Hi!

Your GPA is very competitive, though your MCAT is low compared to UC Davis' average (33). I also believe that Davis valus a lot of clinical experience in their applicants, but someone else would have to verify that statement. Good luck!

I'm reapplying here! I applied two cycles ago and was rejected post interview. I'm really hoping they give me a second chance, since my app is improved and it's been 2 years.

Good luck everyone :)

Decent chance at interview :) (IMO)

Just want to clarify is that decent chance at interview meant to me? And best of luck on your applications.

I'm reapplying here! I applied two cycles ago and was rejected post interview. I'm really hoping they give me a second chance, since my app is improved and it's been 2 years.

Good luck everyone :)

Decent chance at interview :) (IMO)

Looking at last years secondary prompt, the final question seems very similar to the 3 most meaningful experiences section found in the primary application. Should we copy and paste that section? How should we approach this?

Would someone be able to comment on this? It doesn't seem like it's appropriate to just copy and paste the most meaningful experiences, but it's pretty much exactly the same question.

Just want to clarify is that decent chance at interview meant to me? And best of luck on your applications.

Yes of course I was talking to you! Hence why I quoted your post :p

Good luck to you too :)

so i hear davis really values research in there applicants. I have two major research areas that Ive worked on/still working on. I know there is no magic number but if I am able to communicate about these well would that help?
If it helps both projects are involved in the development of a dielectrophoretic particle separation device, with which we will use to separate both bacterial and mammalian cells. My research was involved in the development of of protocol for fabrication of the device and surface modification of the substrate of interest known as COC to make it bio compatible. Fabrication was quite basic, whereas surface modification is more involved. This kind of research could have a major impact on cancer research as it can lower the cost and improve efficiency.

In my AMCAS, my three most meaningful activities weren't necessarily the ones that were most meaningful in terms of leading me to a career in medicine. I picked three activities to talk about in my Davis secondary last year, and only one of them overlapped with my AMCAS most meaningful activity. I wrote about it from a different angle than what I said in my AMCAS. I hope that helps!

In my AMCAS, my three most meaningful activities weren't necessarily the ones that were most meaningful in terms of leading me to a career in medicine. I picked three activities to talk about in my Davis secondary last year, and only one of them overlapped with my AMCAS most meaningful activity. I wrote about it from a different angle than what I said in my AMCAS. I hope that helps!

that does help...thanks!

Now if we were able to come up with two experiences, would that be sufficient?

The prompt states, "At UC Davis School of Medicine we realize that each applicant brings diversity and perspective from a broad range of experiences. In this section we give you the opportunity to describe in detail the 3 extracurricular activities or experiences that have been most influential in leading you to a career in medicine. "

What do you think? Anyone else?

I hear this school does MMI (ugh). How can an introvert do well on an MMI?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary!!! I was verified yesterday and received it this morning (2 AM). Just wondering, how do I send letters to the schools through AMCAS? Is it automatic, or do I have to tell AMCAS to send the LOR?

I received this message...

"The Admissions Committee has started reviewing applications and you will be notified of your status (e.g. whether and how to submit a secondary application) by e-mail as soon as a decision has been reached. Those decisions will be made beginning in July through January. The Admissions Committee asks that you not send any new information, transcripts, letters of recommendation, updates, or materials unless requested by them. If you plan to take the fall MCAT (August/September), no decision will be made on your application until we have received those scores. "

This email seems weird since they gave me a link to their supplemental application page in the same email.

Thoughts?

nvm...I figured it out

that does help...thanks!

Now if we were able to come up with two experiences, would that be sufficient?

The prompt states, "At UC Davis School of Medicine we realize that each applicant brings diversity and perspective from a broad range of experiences. In this section we give you the opportunity to describe in detail the 3 extracurricular activities or experiences that have been most influential in leading you to a career in medicine. "

What do you think? Anyone else?

Ugh that's a horrible prompt. I only have around two at most and thats stretching it. How many words are required?

Ugh that's a horrible prompt. I only have around two at most and thats stretching it. How many words are required?

all essays are 1500 characters... and there's like 6 haha. I have a massive school crush on Davis, so I guess I'll just go ahead and do it

So is it confirmed that they do a screening before secondaries? Not everyone received them.

So is it confirmed that they do a screening before secondaries? Not everyone received them.

First I got an email saying that they would review my application and let me know if I will receive a secondary starting in July. Then three minutes later I got an email inviting me to complete the secondary. So I guess they do screen.

First I got an email saying that they would review my application and let me know if I will receive a secondary starting in July. Then three minutes later I got an email inviting me to complete the secondary. So I guess they do screen.

I feel like I just walked into a sliding screen door :p

I feel like I just walked into a sliding screen door :p

Normally screens aren't that strong so you might be able to break through depending on what material it is made out of. If you are as small as a mosquito you may be out of luck ;)

What are the secondary essays?

1.Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee.

2.How will your family, community, academic, work or other life experiences enhance the UC Davis School of Medicine community?

3.Based upon your personal life experiences, what do you foresee as challenges in medical school and in your future career?

4.What have you been doing since submitting your AMCAS application? Include contact information for any references related to these experiences.

5. The Rural-Program In Medical Education is designed for students interested in becoming physician leaders in rural California communities. Rural-PRIME curricular enhancements include: weekly seminars in the first and second years, leadership, community engagement and cultural competency, hands-on skill sessions, mentorship and teaching with rural physicians, clinical rotations in rural communities in the third year, leadership and research opportunities related to rural health in the final year. Link to Rural-PRIME Website: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/rural_prime/index.html. To apply to Rural PRIME, please respond to the following 3 questions. Otherwise please insert "not applicable". A. Please tell us why you would like to be considered for the program. B. Please describe your experiences working with underserved communities. C. What are your future plans to practice in a rural underserved community?

6.In 2014, UCDSOM will launch a new 3-year pathway for students committed to primary care careers, the Accelerated Competency-based Education in Primary Care (ACE-PC) program. Davis ACE-PC allows a select group of eligible students to complete medical school in 3 years and receive a conditional acceptance to a UC Davis or Kaiser Permanente Northern California residency program in primary care. Students who are accepted to the UCDSOM 4-year program and who plan a career in primary care Internal Medicine or Family Medicine will be considered for the program. For more information, please see http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/ACE-PC/about.html. If you would like to be considered for Davis ACE-PC, please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for the program. If you are not interested, please insert "Not Applicable".

7. The UC Davis - UCSF Fresno - UC Merced San Joaquin Valley Program in Medical Education (SJV PRIME) is a tailored leadership pathway for students committed to providing care for the medically underserved in the San Joaquin Valley (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/sjvprime/index.html). To apply to SJV PRIME, please respond to the following 3 questions. Otherwise please insert "not applicable". A. Please tell us about your ties to the San Joaquin Valley. B. Please describe an experience where you learned about a challenge in the San Joaquin Valley. C. After you complete your medical training, where (city or county) do you intend to practice and why?

8. The UC Davis - UCSF Fresno - UC Merced San Joaquin Valley Program in Medical Education (SJV PRIME) is a tailored leadership pathway for students committed to providing care for the medically underserved in the San Joaquin Valley (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/sjvprime/index.html). To apply to SJV PRIME, please respond to the following 3 questions. Otherwise please insert "not applicable". A. Please tell us about your ties to the San Joaquin Valley. B. Please describe an experience where you learned about a challenge in the San Joaquin Valley. C. After you complete your medical training, where (city or county) do you intend to practice and why?

9. The Physician Scientist Training Program (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/MD_Ph.D/index.html) is designed for students interested in becoming clinician investigators and leads to a dual degree (MD-PhD). The program includes 4 years of dedicated research in addition to the standard medical school curriculum. If you are interested in this program, please describe your research experience, qualifications, and future goals. Otherwise, please insert "Not applicable".

5. The Rural-Program In Medical Education is designed for students interested in becoming physician leaders in rural California communities. Rural-PRIME curricular enhancements include: weekly seminars in the first and second years, leadership, community engagement and cultural competency, hands-on skill sessions, mentorship and teaching with rural physicians, clinical rotations in rural communities in the third year, leadership and research opportunities related to rural health in the final year. Link to Rural-PRIME Website: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/rural_prime/index.html. To apply to Rural PRIME, please respond to the following 3 questions. Otherwise please insert "not applicable". A. Please tell us why you would like to be considered for the program. B. Please describe your experiences working with underserved communities. C. What are your future plans to practice in a rural underserved community?

6.In 2014, UCDSOM will launch a new 3-year pathway for students committed to primary care careers, the Accelerated Competency-based Education in Primary Care (ACE-PC) program. Davis ACE-PC allows a select group of eligible students to complete medical school in 3 years and receive a conditional acceptance to a UC Davis or Kaiser Permanente Northern California residency program in primary care. Students who are accepted to the UCDSOM 4-year program and who plan a career in primary care Internal Medicine or Family Medicine will be considered for the program. For more information, please see http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/ACE-PC/about.html. If you would like to be considered for Davis ACE-PC, please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for the program. If you are not interested, please insert "Not Applicable".

7. The UC Davis - UCSF Fresno - UC Merced San Joaquin Valley Program in Medical Education (SJV PRIME) is a tailored leadership pathway for students committed to providing care for the medically underserved in the San Joaquin Valley (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/sjvprime/index.html). To apply to SJV PRIME, please respond to the following 3 questions. Otherwise please insert "not applicable". A. Please tell us about your ties to the San Joaquin Valley. B. Please describe an experience where you learned about a challenge in the San Joaquin Valley. C. After you complete your medical training, where (city or county) do you intend to practice and why?

8. The UC Davis - UCSF Fresno - UC Merced San Joaquin Valley Program in Medical Education (SJV PRIME) is a tailored leadership pathway for students committed to providing care for the medically underserved in the San Joaquin Valley (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/sjvprime/index.html). To apply to SJV PRIME, please respond to the following 3 questions. Otherwise please insert "not applicable". A. Please tell us about your ties to the San Joaquin Valley. B. Please describe an experience where you learned about a challenge in the San Joaquin Valley. C. After you complete your medical training, where (city or county) do you intend to practice and why?

9. The Physician Scientist Training Program (http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/MD_Ph.D/index.html) is designed for students interested in becoming clinician investigators and leads to a dual degree (MD-PhD). The program includes 4 years of dedicated research in addition to the standard medical school curriculum. If you are interested in this program, please describe your research experience, qualifications, and future goals. Otherwise, please insert "Not applicable".

Is there a character or word limit? 500 Characters for last year's essays.

Does anyone know if "Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee" is optional? I can't think of any major red flags in my application.

So they're not asking us for three most meaningful experiences this year?

So they're not asking us for three most meaningful experiences this year?

Oops, sorry. Yes, they also ask you to list those with a 750 character essay:

Briefly describe this activity and its significance.
How did it prepare you for a medical career?
Include any supporting information
(e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as
well as links to any publication, etc)

Spaced on adding that to the prior list!

Oops, sorry. Yes, they also ask you to list those with a 750 character essay:

Briefly describe this activity and its significance.
How did it prepare you for a medical career?
Include any supporting information
(e.g. your contribution to the project or accomplishment as
well as links to any publication, etc)

Spaced on adding that to the prior list!

Haha thanks. You got my hopes up :p

I just got the secondary!
Do you mind sharing your MCAT score since you received a secondary invite? They sent me an email, but are waiting to get my scores that come out Tuesday. I'm just curious. Good luck!!

Man this is a long secondary...
I got invitation too, 3.94 GPA/sGPA, 36 MCAT

Did they really bump it up from 500 characters to 1500 characters per essay question? :confused:

What the....

Edit:
chewbacca_c_228329.jpg

Last edited:
Did they really bump it up from 500 characters to 1500 characters per essay question? :confused:

What the.... :(

Edit:
chewbacca_c_228329.jpg

This was the only secondary that I had time to prepare for prior to receiving it. The bump from 500 to 1500 made my preparation kind of useless :(

I got a secondary this morning too. Does anyone know how many secondaries they send out compared to the amount of applicants they get?

Did anyone else notice that the different websites list different prereqs? For example, the secondary prereq lists bio, physics, organic, and chemistry. However, http://catalog.ucdavis.edu/med.html lists a lot more, including upper-level biology and math.

Did anyone else notice that the different websites list different prereqs? For example, the secondary prereq lists bio, physics, organic, and chemistry. However, http://catalog.ucdavis.edu/med.html lists a lot more, including upper-level biology and math.

did you notice in the secondary there's also a "note" section that mentions english, upper-div bio, and math, but there's no option to put it? i'm confused :(

did you notice in the secondary there's also a "note" section that mentions english, upper-div bio, and math, but there's no option to put it? i'm confused :(

I was confused about that too, but on the main page of directions, it's lists the requirements differently. I just put in two bio, four chem, and two physics.

I was confused about that too, but on the main page of directions, it's lists the requirements differently. I just put in two bio, four chem, and two physics.

yup me too! i submitted just now!

Do you think its ok if I don't list phone numbers for my references for my activities? Did anyone else only list email addresses?

Do you think its ok if I don't list phone numbers for my references for my activities? Did anyone else only list email addresses?

I put both! Will it let you save if you don't put a phone number?

I put both! Will it let you save if you don't put a phone number?

Yeah it will let you save if you don't include a phone number. I just don't really see how I can go about getting these phone numbers. I think I'll just stick to the email addresses.

Can you submit it before your letters arrive? My LOR is verified at AMCAS but not yet verified at UCD.

The bump from 500 to 1500 was to accomodate the 3-part essay questions of the special programs (Rural-Prime, SJV-Prime, TEACH-MS and ACE-PC). In order to do this the other essay questions character count had to be bumped up as well (no work around), this does not mean all your answers have to be 1500 characters long. Put thought and effort in your responses...quality is better than quantity.

Can you submit it before your letters arrive? My LOR is verified at AMCAS but not yet verified at UCD.

Most schools allow you to submit secondaries while you wait for LOR. You should be okay to submit. My LOR is also with AMCAS but not verified at UCD and I submitted this morning. I assume it just takes a few days to log.