2013-2014 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a quick question: After submitting the application about how long did it take for statuses to change to processed?
A little over a month for me as an ooser

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed early October. They told me in my interview session that a few people would be getting calls, and I guess I was one of them. The particular reason for my call was that I scored really high in my interview. But that's what I'm saying, I thought I bombed the interview. So, if you thought you just didn't do well in the interview, you might be wrong, keep your hopes up!!
thats awesome though!

Haha and yeah I'll just have to twiddle my thumbs and see. Both of my interviewers were pretty rough, and I couldn't (still can't) tell how well I did so it's just the waiting game for me!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, for those of you who are interviewing soon, please do not get scared by some of the "non-traditional" interviewers. CU was the 4th school I interviewed at and all the other interviews had been very conversational in nature. My first interview was AWESOME! We had an amazing conversation for 30 minutes. On the other hand, the second one was the worst interview I have ever had!! I managed to stay calm and professional, which worked in my favor tremendously. I was not the only person who had an experience like this during my interview day, so don't get scared or discouraged if you do!! If you get a scary interviewer, make sure YOU get your point across, try to direct the conversation back to your accomplishments, rather than getting caught up in your nerves.
+1 on this. I think CU might be purposefully giving some "stress" interviews to see how people react. One of mine was a great discussion, and the other was pretty rough. I felt like it must have been planned that way, because the interviewer was challenging right from the start. I feel like that a good way to run the interviews, though, just to see how people deal with stress.

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm hoping to hear some good news from them, too!

Is CU open to LOIs/update letters? I can't find anywhere that indicates that they do not allow them, but I was just curious if they actually open to them. Thanks!

Is CU open to LOIs/update letters? I can't find anywhere that indicates that they do not allow them, but I was just curious if they actually open to them. Thanks!
They are not, I tried. The only things they consider are the primary, secondary, and interviews. They say that any updates you have should be specified in your interview.

They are not, I tried. The only things they consider are the primary, secondary, and interviews. They say that any updates you have should be specified in your interview.

Yeah, my second interviewer told me the same thing. Before leaving she asked me if I was sure that everything I told her was all I had to update because they wouldn't look at anything afterwards and that I wasn't allowed to follow up with her with questions or even thank-yous (directly). I think the 2nd part was just her, because my first interviewer was open to me following up with him if I wanted to learn more about global health programs the school offers + their SABES program :p

Unrelated, but they have a really detailed and crazy rubric for "grading" our interviews + entire application too! :dead:

Shoot. Well, thanks. I'm very interested in CU. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to tell them that in an interview.

Unrelated, but they have a really detailed and crazy rubric for "grading" our interviews + entire application too! :dead:
Do you know more about this and can you post some of it if you do? I'd be pretty interested in knowing more. :)

Do you know more about this and can you post some of it if you do? I'd be pretty interested in knowing more. :)
Maybe other schools are like this, but my interviewers were very detailed in explaining how they score the interview/review the entire application afterwards. I'm not sure how much each individual component is weighted, but from what I remember..

So to make this unnecessarily detailed, I'll just start from the beginning. The interviewers only know PS/Secondaries prior to interview and they don't see LoRs/MCAT/GPA until after they complete their review. The interview is scored based on a rubric that scores you on (my notes are kind of messy) but: critical thinking (scenario questions, how you respond/approach touchy topics, etc.), what you know about the health field/what you want to pursue (why medicine vs other fields, ACA, ethical questions), how you discuss your personal accomplishments/experiences (humbleness?), communication skills, "open-mindedness"/flexibility, and "additional factors" that set you apart (if you know other languages, work/academic history, family/background, commitment to service + interest in a field/track).

After that, the interviewers submit that for review with admissions, and they will view it in the context of your entire application file + where you went to school, what you did in undergrad, etc. The interviewers meet with the AdComs, and they summarize their thoughts on you as an applicant + whatever else they may think. If you aced one interviewer and your 2nd interview totally hated you, they might ask a third person to come in and evaluate you because they want to make sure they are 100% sure they are making "the best decision" with the most complete picture they can put together.

There's also a part where the recommenders "speak on your behalf" of how strongly they recommend you for the program. So you can score very well on your interview, but your application may be weaker, so it may merit a second review and so forth. According to the site/from my understanding they only accept ~25 students into their program each month (even though they interview nearly double that per interview session, which can also happen like 4+ times a month), and everyone else who has not received a final decision (rejection, waitlist) are sent back into the review pile to be considered for the following month.

By the end, you get a final overall score based on "errything" and they discuss/make a final evaluation. My guess is they're still reviewing people from the very first interviews in mid-late October, since it would seem like they've probably already interviewed at least a 1/3rd of the total 700-800 :3

I'm pretty sure you can pull this all from their website somewhere, I just wrote a lot of notes on interview day while talking to my interviewer :p

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe other schools are like this, but my interviewers were very detailed in explaining how they score the interview/review the entire application afterwards. I'm not sure how much each individual component is weighted, but from what I remember..

So to make this unnecessarily detailed, I'll just start from the beginning. The interviewers only know PS/Secondaries prior to interview and they don't see LoRs/MCAT/GPA until after they complete their review. The interview is scored based on a rubric that scores you on (my notes are kind of messy) but: critical thinking (scenario questions, how you respond/approach touchy topics, etc.), what you know about the health field/what you want to pursue (why medicine vs other fields, ACA, ethical questions), how you discuss your personal accomplishments/experiences (humbleness?), communication skills, "open-mindedness"/flexibility, and "additional factors" that set you apart (if you know other languages, work/academic history, family/background, commitment to service + interest in a field/track).

After that, the interviewers submit that for review with admissions, and they will view it in the context of your entire application file + where you went to school, what you did in undergrad, etc. The interviewers meet with the AdComs, and they summarize their thoughts on you as an applicant + whatever else they may think. If you aced one interviewer and your 2nd interview totally hated you, they might ask a third person to come in and evaluate you because they want to make sure they are 100% sure they are making "the best decision" with the most complete picture they can put together.

There's also a part where the recommenders "speak on your behalf" of how strongly they recommend you for the program. So you can score very well on your interview, but your application may be weaker, so it may merit a second review and so forth. According to the site/from my understanding they only accept ~25 students into their program each month (even though they interview nearly double that per interview session, which can also happen like 4+ times a month), and everyone else who has not received a final decision (rejection, waitlist) are sent back into the review pile to be considered for the following month.

By the end, you get a final overall score based on "errything" and they discuss/make a final evaluation. My guess is they're still reviewing people from the very first interviews in mid-late October, since it would seem like they've probably already interviewed at least a 1/3rd of the total 700-800 :3

I'm pretty sure you can pull this all from their website somewhere, I just wrote a lot of notes on interview day while talking to my interviewer :p

Jennyfishy, if I could high-five you through SDN, I would!

I have read some of this on their site, but you got some good info from your interviewer, too. Thanks for sharing!

Excellent synopsis Jennyfishy. That matches my understanding after my interview yesterday as well. However, they told us they would get back to us (obviously not definitively) in around 2-3 weeks. Did you receive anything from them in that time frame?? Like a change in status?

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent synopsis Jennyfishy. That matches my understanding after my interview yesterday as well. However, they told us they would get back to us (obviously not definitively) in around 2-3 weeks. Did you receive anything from them in that time frame?? Like a change in status?

Yeah, Vidal said hopefully 2-3 weeks for us too, but given the number of ppl, I think that was a hopeful estimate. Anywhere from 6-8 weeks seems pretty average at other schools so I wouldn't be bummed if there's no call in three weeks. I interviewed on Halloween week, so it's a little over three already :3. I have no status change from "you have been invited for an MD interview" either

So if I am gathering right, statuses changed to processed once reviewed? Or do they all stay as complete unless you receive an II? In other words is CU a silent rejector?

Although a few people are accepted shortly after interview, the vast majority will not be informed of a decision until March. Hold tight.

Although a few people are accepted shortly after interview, the vast majority will not be informed of a decision until March. Hold tight.
Does that mean that people are accepted and then not told about it till March, or that they are not accepted till March? In other words, does interviewing early have an advantage like at other schools?

This is my second year applying here. I've put a good number of emails and phone calls their way, and I have literally never once gotten a reply from the admissions office. My guess would be no for updates.

About how long does it take for the secondary application to be processed?

About how long does it take for the secondary application to be processed?

Do you mean how long it takes between clicking submit and your status page saying "secondary complete" or between complete and the II invite?

Do you mean how long it takes between clicking submit and your status page saying "secondary complete" or between complete and the II invite?
sorry for the confusion. I mean from the time you press submit on the secondary to the status page saying secondary complete? Although, I am curious about an II as well..

If we haven't received an II by now, is it getting to be too late? Does CU interview up until march?

Accepted! OOS, around their average accepted stats.
Congrats! :D

When did you interview?

Edit: For those wondering if the portal updates your status after interview, mine just changed to, "Thank you for interviewing. Applicants will be advised of final decisions no later than March31st."
Thank you for interviewing. Applicants will be advised of final decisions no later than March31st.
Thank you for interviewing. Applicants will be advised of final decisions no later than March31st.

Congrats! :D

When did you interview?

Edit: For those wondering if the portal updates your status after interview, mine just changed to, "Thank you for interviewing. Applicants will be advised of final decisions no later than March31st.".
Interviewed November 8. Indeed, the portal took around 5 days to update after I interviewed. Dr. Grenardo called me and mentioned that I was part of the first batch of acceptances. Now, whether he means out of all who have interviewed or my interview group, I do not know.

Also got an acceptance email and phone call this evening!! OOS, interviewed 11/8, and my stats are close to the school's averages. Best of luck to those still waiting to hear. I am looking forward to spending the next 4 years with some of you!

Interviewed November 8. Indeed, the portal took around 5 days to update after I interviewed. Dr. Grenardo called me and mentioned that I was part of the first batch of acceptances. Now, whether he means out of all who have interviewed or my interview group, I do not know.

Congrats! I think you're one of the lucky few they really like who get accepted 2-3 weeks after interviewing! On my interview day they said most acceptances go out in Feb/March after they've gotten a good idea of their class but if they really like you, you'll find out right awayish. :)

Hope to be in your shoes in a few weeks! Absolutely LOVED CU!

Interview invite today! Complete mid October.

Accepted today! I got a call from Dr. Gernardo, and the acceptance email was in my spam folder hahaha. So excited, top choice!!

Last edited:
Oh ok, so I submitted my app 10/18, it was updated to complete 10/22, and I got a II email 10/29 for an interview on 11/15....

And accepted today! I got a call from Dr. Gernardo, and the acceptance email was in my spam folder hahaha. So excited, top choice!!
What does the complete status read?

I'm IS and bummed I still haven't heard anything

What does the complete status read?

I'm IS and bummed I still haven't heard anything

"We have received your secondary application payment and have begun processing your completed application. The final status for most applicants will not be decided until March 31."

Is what it says on my status screen

Congrats everyone! I was also accepted today! Interviewed oct. 28, oos. Good luck to all who are still waiting!

Congrats everyone! I was also accepted today! Interviewed oct. 28, oos. Good luck to all who are still waiting!
Congrats!

I, at some point on that day, saw you even though idk who you are :p

Congrats to all of the accepted students! Looks like almost all are OOS. Any IS acceptances yet?

Just received a "You haven't been selected yet" email. It's a little nerve-wracking to read about the string of acceptances here, get an email from the school, and then realize it isn't an acceptance, but I'm glad to hear an update at least. For those who've been accepted, did you apply to special programs like UNITE, Rural Track, dual degree, or are you from underserved areas or under-represented groups? Clearly, everyone's stats are "in the range", I'm curious if we can tease out their admissions strategy.

I got the same i think, did yours say this? :
Thank you for interviewing with the University of Colorado School of Medicine. Acceptance decisions are made on a weekly basis. This process will continue through the summer of 2014 until the Class of 2018 matriculates. There is no formal ranking of a waitlist. All candidates will be considered for selection unless told otherwise.

We understand this can be difficult time for you awaiting word on a decision. Please know that we are taking into careful consideration your interview and application in comparison to the other candidates to seat the best class possible. If you have further questions about this process, please contact W. Vidal Dickerson at [email protected] or at 303-724-8261.

Got an II yesterday for late December; I was complete early September. Decided to withdraw from UC today, I can't justify the cost to interview (or attend as OOS!) given my acceptances elsewhere. I hope my date goes to one of you fine folks! Good luck!

Just received a "You haven't been selected yet" email. It's a little nerve-wracking to read about the string of acceptances here, get an email from the school, and then realize it isn't an acceptance, but I'm glad to hear an update at least. For those who've been accepted, did you apply to special programs like UNITE, Rural Track, dual degree, or are you from underserved areas or under-represented groups? Clearly, everyone's stats are "in the range", I'm curious if we can tease out their admissions strategy.

I'll chime in. So I'm OOS, 22, Male, and at most (if not almost all) schools would be considered ORM but for CU, they considered my group to be URM. I only applied to the MD program, though I did click an interest in the Global Health Track. No dual degree or UNITE or rural. I suppose you could technically consider my state to be an under served area? I mean, we do have one med school here though.

And @Anha5059 I also got that exact same email just now this morning even though I got the acceptance email yesterday, so I don't think that's a formal "you're on the waitlist" email.

Last edited:
Thank you for interviewing with the University of Colorado School of Medicine. Acceptance decisions are made on a weekly basis. This process will continue through the summer of 2014 until the Class of 2018 matriculates. There is no formal ranking of a waitlist. All candidates will be considered for selection unless told otherwise.

We understand this can be difficult time for you awaiting word on a decision. Please know that we are taking into careful consideration your interview and application in comparison to the other candidates to seat the best class possible. If you have further questions about this process, please contact W. Vidal Dickerson at [email protected] or at 303-724-8261.
I was accepted yesterday and received the same e-mail.

Gotcha. It seemed like the people that were accepted were all yesterday. Just speculating but perhaps their "weekly acceptances" are sent out Tuesdays

That's the same as mine. Like others have said, I don't believe this means we've been placed on the wait list, just that our applications are still under consideration. I assume they won't relegate anyone to the wait list until all of the seats have been awarded. Best of luck to you!

I'll chime in. So I'm OOS, 22, Male, and at most (if not almost all) schools would be considered ORM but for CU, they considered my group to be URM. I only applied to the MD program, though I did click an interest in the Global Health Track. No dual degree or UNITE or rural. I suppose you could technically consider my state to be an under served area? I mean, we do have one med school here though.

According to the MSAR my mcat is a little below the CU median but my cGPA and sGPA is at the school's 90th percentile.

And @Anha5059 I also got that exact same email just now this morning even though I got the acceptance email yesterday, so I don't think that's a formal "you're on the waitlist" email.
Thanks for the response. There's such an emphasis on stats here on SDN that many of the other factors get overlooked.

I feel that it would make sense for the school to fill slots for any special considerations or programs first (i.e.. URM, rural, etc.) just to ensure that those missions are fulfilled. If they waited until the end, they may lose out on applicants since these would be a smaller subset to begin with.

All quiet on the western front? Any one get any news today?