2013-2014 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Official rejection letter today. I thought I already was rejected so blacked it out in my Excel Sheet, so wasn't disappointed as much...but...meh.

Good luck to everyone else still in contention!

Your usage of excel tells me that you will likely be successful, regardless. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Have an Interview coming up here. Anyone know what kind of movement WL has seen in the past?

Have an Interview coming up here. Anyone know what kind of movement WL has seen in the past?
I'm interviewing tomorrow. The friend (year 2) I'm staying with says that he was waitlisted and had to wait until May 30 for their offer. We are both OOS. I really hope it doesn't take that long if I make the list!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't seem to remember: is grading in the first two years P/F?

Its not letter grades. Its actually number grades (i.e. 82.84 or 93.2)
Thanks for commenting. I'm getting confused about the various grading schemes. So this means that if the professor sets the passing grade at a 70, a curve isn't applied in the traditional sense that only a certain % of students can achieve high grades? So essentially it's still P/F, only you're also told your numeric score (vs. a school that gives letter grades, on a curve that only allows a certain grade distribution).

Thanks for commenting. I'm getting confused about the various grading schemes. So this means that if the professor sets the passing grade at a 70, a curve isn't applied in the traditional sense that only a certain % of students can achieve high grades? So essentially it's still P/F, only you're also told your numeric score (vs. a school that gives letter grades, on a curve that only allows a certain grade distribution).

Yes in that sense its P/F but this is actually the worst kind of grading (in my opinion) because it shows your exact grade on your transcript. For EX:

lets say you got a 80 in a class.
- On P/F system, it would only show up as P. For all that the residency program knows, that could have been a 100 in the class.
- On ABC scale, it shows up as a B. The residency program doesn't know that you BARLEY got a B.
- On the UK scale, it shows up as 80. The residency program knows that you barely did OK and that your grade was probably below average.

Has anyone who interviewed recently hear anything? Would they notify us if they have "held on to our application" or would they just notify people rejected?

Has anyone who interviewed recently hear anything? Would they notify us if they have "held on to our application" or would they just notify people rejected?

You can call the admissions office to check if you have been held or rejected. They will send a letter in the mail a week or two after their decision to let you know either way.

For those on hold or who have knowledge of UK's process: it looks like last year people on hold didn't find out if they made the wait list until the very end of April. I assume that would likely be the case this year as well?

Couple more grading/curriculum questions for students, if you wouldn't mind answering:

1.) Do you tend to be tested on a lot of minutae, or are classes more geared towards Step 1 preparation?
2.) On that note, how useful do you find outside study sources like Firecracker and First Aid to study and prepare for exams during the school year?

Thanks!

I just want to point out that while students do get to see their numerical score, this really only exists to create the class rank and the transcript that that residency programs receive will not have all of our little numerical scores for the first two years (to my understanding). The grading system I believe is different in clinical rotations to better compare to other programs (since clinical grades are much more important). I would not worry about the grading system - your first two years worth of grades are essentially worthless.

As for school focus, I would definitely say that on an institutional level, they have been pushing to make everything geared towards Step 1 as much as possible. Individual lecturers do write questions so things fall through the cracks, but I definitely know classmates that do Step 1 prep material to help them study for our exams and it often times helps, so I do think that studying for our courses is preparing us for Step 1. Personally, I don't use a Step 1 study aid (I like to focus my studies on exactly what the teacher lectured) but I've heard more and more second year students using it, as the systems based courses are better designed to follow these study aids to my understanding.

I hope I could be of some help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been been notified about scholarship awards yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone been been notified about scholarship awards yet?

I've been wondering the same thing! I thought they said we would hear by mid-February so I was just assuming I didn't get any but I haven't heard of anyone who has so I don't know.

I've been wondering the same thing! I thought they said we would hear by mid-February so I was just assuming I didn't get any but I haven't heard of anyone who has so I don't know.

Wondering this as well, I applied to the scholarship they sent out by email (my high school offered no science lab courses, among other things, which qualified me). I'm not expecting to be granted any scholarships, but it would be nice to know!

On a side note, my fiancé (unexpectedly) got into the master's program in counseling yesterday. This made my UofL vs UK decision for me; I believe I'm going to be a wildcat!

Without giving out too many details, I have heard back re: scholarships and financial aid package.

Without giving out too many details, I have heard back re: scholarships and financial aid package.

Ah. Did it mention if they have rewarded all of the scholarships yet? I did not receive that email

Just spoke with FinAid office. The 1st round of scholarships have been awarded as of 15 FEB. A second round will be awarded in advance of 15 MAY, but she didn't say exactly when that would be. Outside of this, the rest of the class will receive their FinAid package around 15 JUN.

Hope this helps!

Very helpful! Just to clarify because I'm paranoid; other than submitting the FAFSA, there's nothing else we need to have done, correct?

If you applied for the enhancement scholarship, you had to submit that application separately.

If you applied for the enhancement scholarship, you had to submit that application separately.

Yes, I did that as well. So that should be it, thanks!

Last post today, hopefully I'm not blowing up anyone's notifications. I'm going to be in town looking for a small place to rent tomorrow, preferably with a garage. Does anyone have suggestions for areas or specific places I should check out?

Thanks!

So the last interview day was yesterday. Does anyone have any new info regarding when they might create the wait list?

Given that they meet usually a week after the interviews, I'm going to assume it'll be at least one more week.

So the last interview day was yesterday. Does anyone have any new info regarding when they might create the wait list?

Given that they usually meet a week after the interviews, I'm going to assume it'll be at least one more week.

I interviewed on Saturday, but the committee is meeting on March 20th. The committee will vote on everyone who has interviewed. If you get less than 50% of the votes, then you will not be admitted and then everyone else is put in a waitlist with the people who received 100% of the votes first. I assume after they meet we should know if we made the waitlist or not.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed on Saturday, but the committee is meeting on March 20th. The committee will vote on everyone who has interviewed. If you get less than 50% of the votes, then you will not be admitted and then everyone else is put in a waitlist with the people who received 100% of the votes first. I assume after they meet we should know if we made the waitlist or not.

Wow. Thanks for that info. It's impressive that they can get through everyone left and on hold in one meeting.

Man, I didn't know we had to go through another cut for the wait list. I am going to be sick until the 20th :/

well the waitlist forms sometime in April. They're going to notify us on the 20th of this month if we made it to waitlist ? Has anyone sopen with the office about it?

well the waitlist forms sometime in April. They're going to notify us on the 20th of this month if we made it to waitlist ? Has anyone sopen with the office about it?
Not sure if we can really say this. @betachainz posted above that they would decide who makes the cut for waitlist on March 20th , but I don't think anyone has said that they are going to notify us right away.

I was under the impression that the wait list would be formed in April as well. Hopefully it is formed tomorrow and we hear sooner rather than later.

Not sure if we can really say this. @betachainz posted above that they would decide who makes the cut for waitlist on March 20th , but I don't think anyone has said that they are going to notify us right away.

I was under the impression that the wait list would be formed in April as well. Hopefully it is formed tomorrow and we hear sooner rather than later.

So, I went ahead and emailed them about this and this was the response:

No. We have our last meeting tomorrow (3/20) to vote on the last of the applicants who have interviewed. We will then ask the committee to rank the holds into our alternate list. When that is completed, then you will hear something. We may send you a letter offering you a spot on the alternate list or rejecting you for this cycle. That correspondence will go out sometime in April.

Sounds like we might have to wait another month.

I found a really nice place/deal for living; hamburg farm apartments. They have a pretty nice special going on. I don't care to drive twenty minutes to get to school though, some people hate the thought of that. Anybody heard anything about this place?

@Ts1991, I'm still a pre-med at UK but have lived off campus (Tate's Creek Area) for 3 years so I can offer some insight.

Any place in the hamburg area will be upscale living by lexington apartment/condo standards and the surrounding amenities can't be beaten (anything you could want can be found in the Hamburg Plaza). I will warn you about traffic though. The commute to campus is 20 mins usually but during morning rush and anytime after 4pm until the stores begin closing, traffic will be a nightmare. Expect 30-45mins to be the norm.

The ramps on/off new circle are always a 10 min venture just to get through a light or two and campus becomes incredibly congested between classes. I'm just outside new circle and honestly could not see reasonably living any father away.

There's a few apartments off Chinoe and some on Tates Creek that aren't surrounded by shopping like Hamburg but offer a quick, direct commute to the hospital.

@Ts1991, I'm still a pre-med at UK but have lived off campus (Tate's Creek Area) for 3 years so I can offer some insight.

Any place in the hamburg area will be upscale living by lexington apartment/condo standards and the surrounding amenities can't be beaten (anything you could want can be found in the Hamburg Plaza). I will warn you about traffic though. The commute to campus is 20 mins usually but during morning rush and anytime after 4pm until the stores begin closing, traffic will be a nightmare. Expect 30-45mins to be the norm.

The ramps on/off new circle are always a 10 min venture just to get through a light or two and campus becomes incredibly congested between classes. I'm just outside new circle and honestly could not see reasonably living any father away.

There's a few apartments off Chinoe and some on Tates Creek that aren't surrounded by shopping like Hamburg but offer a quick, direct commute to the hospital.

Thanks for the heads up! I figured the commute would be 30 minutes. The hamburg plaza is really nice to have there though. I've asked a few people and they have suggested some routes to try that may help with traffic. We looked at a lot of places on Tate's creek and all over lexington really, just couldn't beat the price we got for how nice/large the place is.

Great to hear you found a good deal and I don't think you could find a flaw to living in that area minus traffic.

The key to navigating Lexington in a timely manner is learning the ins and outs of all the neighborhood/residential area shortcuts and it seems like you already have a jump on that. :thumbup:

Be cautious of the speed limit on those side roads though. I got my first and only ticket in a neighborhood where the limit conveniently went from 45 mph to 25 mph without any notice. Cops *rollseyes*

Are there any vaccinations we should be getting before orientation? Or can we just wait and get it all taken care of once we start?

Anyone have the most current match list, or know where to find it?

I was looking for the same thing and couldn't find it. Let me know if anyone gets ahold of one. That and I was also curious about average step score.

I've looked all over. I found an article discussing two or three students who happen to mention where they matched, but couldn't find a total list. Average step-1 would be awesome as well.

I'm reapplying this June and I really like a lot of what I've read about UK, but I'm from the SE and have absolutely zero ties to Kentucky. Would applying here be a waste of time?

I had zero ties and got an interview. Still waiting to see if I end up with a spot on the waiting list.

I'm reapplying this June and I really like a lot of what I've read about UK, but I'm from the SE and have absolutely zero ties to Kentucky. Would applying here be a waste of time?
Kentucky doesn't require any ties to get in. They take a reasonable number of OOS. I'm from the west coast, no ties, mediocre numbers, and was accepted about a week after my interview.

I do strongly advise you to apply early though (good to do for all schools, but particularly this one). They are super fast in inviting people to interview so spots fill up quickly. I was complete early September and was invited to interview about ten days later. By that time, they were already scheduling interviews in December. I think I was lucky to get an interview in December because I believe the class was very nearly full by January.

Best of luck in your application next year!

Reactions: 1 users
......how about them cats??

On the Facebook group, they said the current match list will be included in our next Accepted newsletter. They posted last years match list on the FBook group as well. No step 1 scores anywhere though; I guess they aren't that important anyways, I was just curious.

On the Facebook group, they said the current match list will be included in our next Accepted newsletter. They posted last years match list on the FBook group as well. No step 1 scores anywhere though; I guess they aren't that important anyways, I was just curious.
Doesn't look like the match list was included in the newsletter sent out today. And I'd say Step 1 scores are super important...

Doesn't look like the match list was included in the newsletter sent out today. And I'd say Step 1 scores are super important...

Yea, I'd still like to see them as well, was just trying to tell myself that so I would quit wondering.

No match list, but they included research opportunities. Is anyone considering? Seems sort of early to me.

I just received the email offering an alternate spot.. can anyone shed some light on how big the wait list is and how much movement normally occurs?