2013-2014 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know where to find UK's match list from last year?

Members don't see this ad.

got an interview invite today...but earliest date open is march :( . I was surprised I even got one. I'm OOS with a 33 mcat and 3.45 cgpa and sgpa, thought for sure my gpa would have screened me out.

ACCEPTED!!! My first acceptance! They told us at interview day (11/9) to wait until Friday morning to call and check our status. I got a call from my interviewer who said they had just voted to admit me and that I should consider crossing the state border to come to UK!!

I'm going to be a doctor!!!! Holy crap!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a Facebook group for class of 2018?? I can't even find a UK College of Medicine facebook page.

I don't know if this is appropriate for this thread, but...
I moved to Lexington a few months ago. I am trying to find volunteering options but not having much luck, since most of the places I have contacted either haven't answered or only accept undergrads at UK.
The ideal place would be a free clinic that lets me have some interaction with the patients, such as taking vitals, etc. I've already volunteered at a hospital in the ER for over 100 hours and I would prefer an experience that is a little different now, but I wouldn't say no to an opportunity at a hospital.
I'm also looking at nursing homes and hospice.

Do any local people have some tips?
Thanks!

I'm excited to interview here! Could anyone tell me if the interviews are open or closed?

I assume I should do some normal prep for them, such as knowing my secondary and file really well, but I'm not sure if I should start thinking more about how to explain positives/negatives in my stats or not. Thanks.

So what's interview day like?

To answer my own question, was very laid back and inviting. Day opened with a presentation, followed by two conversational interviews, and then a complimentary lunch followed by student discussion/tour. It was a good time! Fingers crossed.

To answer my own question, was very laid back and inviting. Day opened with a presentation, followed by two conversational interviews, and then a complimentary lunch followed by student discussion/tour. It was a good time! Fingers crossed.

Were y0ur interviews open or closed file?

Members don't see this ad :)
Very open. My interviewer brought up my mcat score.

Actually, same here, both did. One of my interviewers was a student, who I basically just felt like was introducing himself and telling me about how great the school is instead of interviewing me. The other was a retired doctor, who read my application out loud the whole time essentially, only stopping to ask me to elaborate on certain parts. They are required to ask "why UK" and "how will you pay for medical school" for some reason; everybody at the interview told me they all answered with "mostly loans" just like I did, the interviewers expressed that they were agitated to even have to ask that because everybody pays with loans.

Thanks. Hope things turn out well for you guys.

They mentioned last Saturday at the interview that we would hear accepted/hold/rejected anywhere from December 4th to the end of the year. Was anyone there that could confirm? They must meet on the fourth.

They mentioned last Saturday at the interview that we would hear accepted/hold/rejected anywhere from December 4th to the end of the year. Was anyone there that could confirm? They must meet on the fourth.

Update: it's the fourth, haven't heard anything. Lol

Accepted!!!! So excited and feel very blessed!!

Congrats guys! Someone make a facebook group, cuz I don't think there is one yet.

Fine. I'll make it. What should I name it?? There's so many abbreviations. UK or Kentucky? COM or fully written out College of Medicine?! Entering class of 2014 or class of 2018?? :scared:

OK guys. ready?

3.5cGPA, 31 MCAT (10 p, 10 v, 11 b) OOS, familial ties to KY. I visit twice a year and have family living in and out of Lexington and Louisville.

I have an interview at the beginning of March. Any tips? Remember any questions? For those who are attending UKCOM, what's your favorite thing about the school?

I'M SO excited!

OK guys. ready?

3.5cGPA, 31 MCAT (10 p, 10 v, 11 b) OOS, familial ties to KY. I visit twice a year and have family living in and out of Lexington and Louisville.

I have an interview at the beginning of March. Any tips? Remember any questions? For those who are attending UKCOM, what's your favorite thing about the school?

I'M SO excited!
Hello fellow Sconnie!

No tips for the interview. It was super friendly and conversational. Nothing "scripted" they ask except for like, how do you plan on paying for medical school?

I don't know if this is for sure where I'll be next year, but I was accepted and I loved the facilities. The new hospital is jaw-dropping. It's seriously ridiculous. It was nicer than anything I've seen on my interview circuit as of yet. Lexington itself was very, very nice, too!

Reactions: 1 user
Fine. I'll make it. What should I name it?? There's so many abbreviations. UK or Kentucky? COM or fully written out College of Medicine?! Entering class of 2014 or class of 2018?? :scared:

I'm not sure if you already made the group but the last class's is University of Kentucky College of Medicine Class of 2017 so I think like that is good. Will you share a link so we can join?

OK guys. ready?

I'M SO excited!

I don't remember specific questions because it was so conversational. Just communicate clearly. Don't worry about blowing them away, just be honest and yourself (which is hopefully represented in your personal statement and application), because they have already shown interest in who you are.

I received a letter saying I was deferred, I'm assuming this means on hold. Does that mean I'll have to wait until the end of the cycle to hear back from them?

I've been lurking this thread big time. Interviewed on Dec 10 - the committee has supposedly met today. No calls or emails, and the status still says "Interview(s) completed". Nervous as heck. I guess I'll phone in tomorrow.

I've been lurking this thread big time. Interviewed on Dec 10 - the committee has supposedly met today. No calls or emails, and the status still says "Interview(s) completed". Nervous as heck. I guess I'll phone in tomorrow.
If you call, can you also ask if the class is full?

I have been a long time lurker on SDN and I've finally decided to post because I got my first medical school acceptance today from UK!

Eventually I plan to create an MDapps profile, but long story short is this is my fourth time applying (first time to UK). I graduated almost a decade ago and have been slowly improving my application. It has been extremely discouraging (and expensive) to be rejected three application cycles. I didn't get a single interview in any of the three previous cycles and now this year I have five. It just goes to show how seemingly random this process is. I can't accurately describe how happy and excited I am to finally get the chance to do what I've wanted to do since middle school. All I can say is best of luck to everyone in achieving their goals. And, if it doesn't happen this year, keep trying! (sermon over)

Oh yes, the stats: complete: 9/9, II:9/18, interview attended:12/10. GPA: between 3.4 and 3.5 undergrad, 4.0 post-bac at a top 20, MCAT 33-36

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
To carry this over from the FB group: does anyone know if the reception on 01/04 IS the second look, or a different event altogether?

I have been a long time lurker on SDN and I've finally decided to post because I got my first medical school acceptance today from UK!

You should join us in the non-trad forum and tell your story!

If you call, can you also ask if the class is full?

I wouldn't mind an update on the class size so far, although I doubt they would tell you. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure the class is not full yet though.

The class is not full, but it's getting there. They can't get more specific than that.
Put on hold. Sigh...

anyone know if "Hold" is the same thing as wait list?

anyone know if "Hold" is the same thing as wait list?

It's not. You can be moved from HOLD status to accepted, rejected, or waitlist. Unfortunately, the latter two seem to be the more common moves. Hope your luck is better. You can certainly still be accepted.

Can any current students comment on whether the grading system is curved or not?

Can any current students comment on whether the grading system is curved or not?
Ok, it is and it is not. On the transcript, only numerical scores are reported. Your final score, though, is curved so that the passing grade is 70. For example, if the course director sets passing grade to be 60, then everyone's raw scores get curved up by 10 points, and vice versa. It is complicated and vague, so I am still learning too.

where did you guys stay for the interview? Any hotel recommended? Thx!

Has anyone gotten the "deferred a final decision pending further comparison with other out of state applicants" status? I have been on this status for a few months now without any news.

Anyone know when UKY's interview season ends? and what percent of seats have been filled?

Has anyone gotten the "deferred a final decision pending further comparison with other out of state applicants" status? I have been on this status for a few months now without any news.

Anyone know when UKY's interview season ends? and what percent of seats have been filled?
There are quite a few interview slots open in February and March.

Attended the presentation yesterday, it was very informative. But when is the next time we will actually have to do something (such as forward transcripts, get immunizations, and so on)? Other schools have given me a timeline, UK has not.

If you don't mind, could you please share your stats and when you interviewed?

where did you guys stay for the interview? Any hotel recommended? Thx!
DOUBLE TREE. It's like 10 minutes from the school but it's beautiful and cheap and the service was amazing.

If you don't mind, could you please share your stats and when you interviewed?
Hey, Sorry for the late response. Stats added below. So my post must have been a good luck charm because I received an II today! But the earliest dates available were in March :(:(. I feel like I'll be interviewing for a spot on the wait-list.

cGPA: 3.5-3.65
sGPA: 3.65-3.75
MCAT: 30-32
OOS

Hey, Sorry for the late response. Stats added below. So my post must have been a good luck charm because I received an II today! But the earliest dates available were in March :(:(. I feel like I'll be interviewing for a spot on the wait-list.

cGPA: 3.5-3.65
sGPA: 3.65-3.75
MCAT: 30-32
OOS

congrats on the II! an invite is better than no invite right? i don't think they would interview people if there was no movement on the waitlist. so even though you'll be interviewing for the waitlist, there's still a chance of being accepted.

Reactions: 1 user