2013 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You would pick UWSOM over WashU?

Unless WashU gave me a full ride. I have a 3-week-old and my family (and my wife's) lives in Alaska. Combine not having to move for another year with the family support and drastic (~50%) reduction in tuition and yes, I would choose UWSOM over WUSTL :).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
WashU is one of the schools notorious for scholarships, but I suspect you'll have plenty of choices before the cycle is over :)

WashU is one of the schools notorious for scholarships, but I suspect you'll have plenty of choices before the cycle is over :)

I'm not optimistic, I guess. I think they only offer 10-15 full rides in the class of ~120.

Members don't see this ad :)
It took two tries but I got accepted and to my number one school, Texas A&M! I was originally a high school dropout, I dropped out my junior year, got married and started community college taking business classes. I've been a firefighter/paramedic for the last 8 years but I worked multiple jobs and tried to go to school at the same time. A lot of my school was online which didn't help. In the end I only had a 3.2 gpa and a 28 MCAT, with the worst performance being in my last classes, my sciences, I couldn't have done worse if I had tried. I applied and didn't get a single interview. So I quit all my jobs and took the Master's of Medical Science at UNTHSC in fort worth. After ending the fall semester with a cumulative 3.8 gpa I got my interview and acceptance. So for those that have low gpa or MCAT and haven't gotten in, don't loose hope!

:highfive:

It took two tries but I got accepted and to my number one school, Texas A&M! I was originally a high school dropout, I dropped out my junior year, got married and started community college taking business classes. I've been a firefighter/paramedic for the last 8 years but I worked multiple jobs and tried to go to school at the same time. A lot of my school was online which didn't help. In the end I only had a 3.2 gpa and a 28 MCAT, with the worst performance being in my last classes, my sciences, I couldn't have done worse if I had tried. I applied and didn't get a single interview. So I quit all my jobs and took the Master's of Medical Science at UNTHSC in fort worth. After ending the fall semester with a cumulative 3.8 gpa I got my interview and acceptance. So for those that have low gpa or MCAT and haven't gotten in, don't loose hope!

Great story - congratulations!

That is truly an inspirational story! GO CCEMTP!

dsoz

BRAVO!!:clap::clap:

Thank you. :)

Today I feel so bored. I want to do stuff to make things happen but there really is nothing left to do other than wait.
I don't have any experience with the application process yet, pending my MCAT score in April I will be applying next cycle, but did you perhaps reach with your school selections? I don't know if your mdapps is accurate, but it seems you were applying to some top notch schools with low gpa's and a competitive MCAT.

I am not trying to kick a person while they are down so please don't take offense. I am merely looking at your progress and wondering what could be learned from it, given my pending application and barring terrible news on yours, your re-application.

I do hope for the best for you :luck:

Obviously Hopkins, Harvard, and Duke were reaches. I did not have my MCAT back so I figured I might as well shoot for the stars but I had no real expectations there when I got back my score.

Apparently University of Colorado was a reach but I didn't really think of it like that. Colorado is actually my home state but I'm no longer a resident, been gone too long. If you ever lived there you would understand that there was no way I wouldn't apply to every school in Colorado.

I think the rest of my schools were in my range. My GPA is going to hurt me for every MD school but I do have a significant improvement. I had some terrible grades I earned about ten years ago. Once the season is over I will put a more complete story on MDapps.

I am not at all offended because my numbers alone will always hold me back.

Three acceptances so far this cycle, but the interview that counts the most isn't until Monday. Oh UW, let me in, will you, please?

How'd it go?

Obviously Hopkins, Harvard, and Duke were reaches. I did not have my MCAT back so I figured I might as well shoot for the stars but I had no real expectations there when I got back my score.

Apparently University of Colorado was a reach but I didn't really think of it like that. Colorado is actually my home state but I'm no longer a resident, been gone too long. If you ever lived there you would understand that there was no way I wouldn't apply to every school in Colorado.

I think the rest of my schools were in my range. My GPA is going to hurt me for every MD school but I do have a significant improvement. I had some terrible grades I earned about ten years ago. Once the season is over I will put a more complete story on MDapps.

I am not at all offended because my numbers alone will always hold me back.

Do you know when you'll hear back post-interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know when you'll hear back post-interview?

There is a committee meeting next Tuesday so I will get an email on Wednesday. At this point it is a high probability that I will get put on the wait list. There are not many more acceptances that they are giving out and there are a lot of people who they have interviewed in the past two months.

I don't have any experience with the application process yet, pending my MCAT score in April I will be applying next cycle, but did you perhaps reach with your school selections? I don't know if your mdapps is accurate, but it seems you were applying to some top notch schools with low gpa's and a competitive MCAT.

I am not trying to kick a person while they are down so please don't take offense. I am merely looking at your progress and wondering what could be learned from it, given my pending application and barring terrible news on yours, your re-application.

I do hope for the best for you :luck:

Actually, I forgot to say that originally I was only going to apply to my two state schools and some DO.

Part of me feels like it is amazing that I actually got an interview at both state schools. They have an in-state preference but they only interview about half of all the instate applicants so it still feels like a big accomplishment regardless of the outcome.

There is a committee meeting next Tuesday so I will get an email on Wednesday. At this point it is a high probability that I will get put on the wait list. There are not many more acceptances that they are giving out and there are a lot of people who they have interviewed in the past two months.

It went well, I think! Trying not to think about it too much. It's out of my hands, now.

Since it's out of your hands, maybe it's in mine. :naughty: Crossing fingers and toes for both of you ! :luck: :laugh:

Congratulations! All it takes is one.

It went well, I think! Trying not to think about it too much. It's out of my hands, now.

Good luck guys. It's almost done!

Started school early, finished degree, low GPA, did Masters program, got married, worked for 2 years, and was just accepted to medical school during this cycle (first time applicant).... for further details check out my mdapplicants profile.

Summary: accepted to 3, waitlisted at 3 (including 2 MD-PhD programs), 2 interviews left, pending responses from 1 school, and 1 rejection. This is all post-interview decisions, I interviewed at 13 schools. I applied to so many schools and was rejected a lot pre-interview, but I was also accepted so it was worth it!!!

Good luck to everyone!!! :)

Wow...reading about MMI interviews (I had never heard of this prior to reading this thread) is jaw dropping. I have a fantastic bedside manner with my patients, but that's also based on having time to interact with them, go through treatments with them etc.

I'm terrible with the canned "HR" answers, so if I'm lucky enough to get some interviews this upcoming cycle, I'm going to have to put some work into practicing these MMI scenarios. :scared:

My first interview was MMI at MSU.... I thought I bombed it... I felt I did horrible... turns out I was wrong. MSU was the first school to accept me. The second MMI interivew I had I felt I did well and I was rejected right away from UMDNJ. LOL, just keep calm and carry on... nothing you can do about it, be yourself (corny), but that is what got you there in the first place.

I got rejected from Alaska's WWAMI program today, thereby concluding my med school application process. I'm not all that disappointed since I got accepted to Tulane and loved it there. The one and only advantage WWAMI had was cheaper tuition. I'll just make more money when I'm an attending, right?

So, **** may have just gotten real. That moment... when you check your email and find notification of a full ride from Sinai sitting in your inbox.

fbe2029090c71cfd0b68aff11f9e6084.png

@worksinprogress, congrats, that is great!

I got good news today. I got an interview invite for RVU.

So, **** may have just gotten real. That moment... when you check your email and find notification of a full ride from Sinai sitting in your inbox.

fbe2029090c71cfd0b68aff11f9e6084.png

Oh WOW! Congrats. It's def not going to be easy when decision time comes. But it's a great position to be in!

I just got another interview invite today at Campbell University!

I am feeling really good about my DO chances. I only applied to 3 DO schools and I got interviews at both schools that interview and I made the wait list at the school that does not interview.

It looks like I will be waiting until May for my final decision from Louisville. If I am lucky I will here good news from MSUCHM by the end of this month. I am guaranteed news by the end of the month so I am really hoping for an interview.

I just got another interview invite today at Campbell University!

I am feeling really good about my DO chances. I only applied to 3 DO schools and I got interviews at both schools that interview and I made the wait list at the school that does not interview.

It looks like I will be waiting until May for my final decision from Louisville. If I am lucky I will here good news from MSUCHM by the end of this month. I am guaranteed news by the end of the month so I am really hoping for an interview.

Congrats on RVU and Campbell, but don't sit on Louisville. Write them now. If you get put on a watilist, write them again then. On May 16th, write them once more. It might not work, but then again it might. And that's good enough.

Oh WOW! Congrats. It's def not going to be easy when decision time comes. But it's a great position to be in!

It didn't take long for your prediction to pan out... found a fat package from Stanford in my mailbox today. This just can't be life.

Congrats to elevenses on Penn! How are things shaking out for everyone?

I am on the waitlist at Campbell, but they did tell us that we were interviewing for the waitlist because the class was currently full.

I hear back from RVU in a couple days. I got another no decision from Louisville so in two weeks they have another meeting and they will be giving everyone a decision. So I am hoping the decision is wait list, top third. They have a history of everyone in the top third eventually being accepted.

Congrats to elevenses on Penn! How are things shaking out for everyone?

Thanks! I'm having a really difficult time deciding whether it is worth it to attend any second looks. Going to the University of Washington would mean staying home for another year and close to family thereafter (for those of you who haven't memorized every detail of my life, I have a two-month-old son), but I'm having difficulty throwing away the opportunities that I have at WUSTL and Penn without having checked them out with my wife. We both work, though, and I'm guessing that air travel from Alaska with a two-month-old is not a walk in the park, so attending even one second look would be pretty difficult and expensive. If anybody has any advice they want to throw my way, I would sure as hell appreciate it. I know that I'm in an enviable position, but it's difficult nonetheless.

Thanks! I'm having a really difficult time deciding whether it is worth it to attend any second looks. Going to the University of Washington would mean staying home for another year and close to family thereafter (for those of you who haven't memorized every detail of my life, I have a two-month-old son), but I'm having difficulty throwing away the opportunities that I have at WUSTL and Penn without having checked them out with my wife. We both work, though, and I'm guessing that air travel from Alaska with a two-month-old is not a walk in the park, so attending even one second look would be pretty difficult and expensive. If anybody has any advice they want to throw my way, I would sure as hell appreciate it. I know that I'm in an enviable position, but it's difficult nonetheless.

I would say do what you need to do to have no regrets in this process. You only do it once, right? So if you'll be happy at UW, then stick with that...but if you'd always wonder, go ahead and make those 2 trips. The money is a drop in the bucket over the next few years of course, and flying with a 2-month old really isn't bad (plus, they are free!).

After all the work you've put into going back, you should do it exactly how you will be satisfied!

(This comes from someone who's taking her husband and 3 kids 600 miles away from their jobs/schools to do this. We already live 1000 miles from family, however, so we're not giving up anything in that dept. Unfortunately, we are giving up a great network of friends.)

Congrats and good luck!

I'd agree with stolen_biscuit and suggest that you try to make it out to second look even though it may be a pain and expensive. It's not a permanent move for school, but it is 4 years, and you have a newborn. You seem to have a couple of factors going into the decision:

1) Staying close to family (location/required rotations)
2) Academic opportunities (for research, for specialty competitiveness, prestige)
3) Cost

At some point you'll have to rank them by priority and pick the school that does the best with all three. For the moment though, I think attending second look can help you answer 1 and 2, especially if you can talk to some current students with families too. You should definitely wait for financial aid to consider 3 as well, since that seems to be the biggest pro you have for WWAMI. Congrats on your success and good luck with your decision!

Thanks for the advice, everybody! We are going to try really hard to make it out to the Second Looks.

Just joined this thread today. Gotta admit you guys are an inspirational bunch of crowds. I'm rooting for you all. Stolen biscuit, you must have a lot of determination and persuasion to take your family that far. :)

Just joined this thread today. Gotta admit you guys are an inspirational bunch of crowds. I'm rooting for you all. Stolen biscuit, you must have a lot of determination and persuasion to take your family that far. :)

Or a great husband. :love: We've been here a while (longer than our original intent), and change can be really good sometimes! Once everyone gets settled in, I think we will enjoy biding a stressful time in a less stressful city. Not to say I haven't cried over leaving my house, which we've been in 10 years, and which is the only home my kids have known....

Enough of me. Welcome!

anguisette - Have you decided on a school yet? Lots of great choices!

Jas - I'm sending positive thoughts your way! Keep us updated. :luck:

Got into Dominican University Post-Bacc program today. Did so with a 2.6 cGPA and 2.8 sGPA. Roughly three semesters of heavy science courses and maybe a few retakes and I should be good. I will be 27 when I start the program.

I am def going to work my tail off and make it happen.

Thanks for the advice, everybody! We are going to try really hard to make it out to the Second Looks.

I take it case western is off your list and I won't be seeing you at second look?

:hello: welcome!

Or a great husband. :love: We've been here a while (longer than our original intent), and change can be really good sometimes! Once everyone gets settled in, I think we will enjoy biding a stressful time in a less stressful city. Not to say I haven't cried over leaving my house, which we've been in 10 years, and which is the only home my kids have known....

Enough of me. Welcome!

anguisette - Have you decided on a school yet? Lots of great choices!

Jas - I'm sending positive thoughts your way! Keep us updated. :luck:

It's gotta be a great feeling to know where you're going for school already! I'm glad things worked out :)

Jas I'm sending good vibes your way too!

I haven't decided yet and likely won't until I see the financial aid (read: loan) packages. :scared: I'm also going to try to make as many second looks as I can.

Got into Dominican University Post-Bacc program today. Did so with a 2.6 cGPA and 2.8 sGPA. Roughly three semesters of heavy science courses and maybe a few retakes and I should be good. I will be 27 when I start the program.

I am def going to work my tail off and make it happen.

Congrats! :)

I take it Case Western is off your list and I won't be seeing you at second look?

It's not off the list, but since my wife and I both went to Case we don't feel the need to check it out again. We both loved our time there, as a matter of fact, and University Circle has improved a lot since we left. Have fun without us!

Philadelphia is ~4,500 miles away from Anchorage :).

Philadelphia is ~4,500 miles away from Anchorage :).

:laugh: And if you have family there, it's a more significant move, I think. It sounds like you are? We aren't leaving anyone behind except a great support system of friends.

Thanks guys/gals. Hopefully I get some good news this week. I was supposed to get a decision last Friday but it was delayed due to the dean being out of town.

As far as moving with a family, I know the feeling. The only school that would have allowed us to stay in the home that we currently own, was the first school to offer an interview but also the first to reject me, so... Looks like we are moving no matter what. Now it's just a question of which direction, north, east, or west.

Thanks guys/gals. Hopefully I get some good news this week. I was supposed to get a decision last Friday but it was delayed due to the dean being out of town.

As far as moving with a family, I know the feeling. The only school that would have allowed us to stay in the home that we currently own, was the first school to offer an interview but also the first to reject me, so... Looks like we are moving no matter what. Now it's just a question of which direction, north, east, or west.

Hoping for good news for you Jas!

@elevenses, it looks like you're leaning towards PennState & UWash. Is Pritzker off the priority list? I live in Chicago and it's a wonderful city to be in: a variety of great food, attractions for the family, plenty of hospitals (your wife's an RN right?).

For all those who will have to move away for school, when do you plan on relocating? And which factors are most important to you when determining where to go?

While I am fortunate to have acceptances near home, I feel like I am stuck in limbo. If anyone is willing to hear me out, read on

UWisc appears to be a perfect fit for me (research-wise, opportunities, atmosphere), but if I go there I may have to live 1-4 years without my SO & daughter bc the job prospects for my partner there is pretty low (and we cannot afford to be both out of a job). My SO said theyd drive 2.5 hrs to see me every weekend, but it will be more expensive for us to live apart and I don't know if I can handle living away from my daughter. It would have been an easier decision if UofIllinois assigned me the Chicago campus (this track requires moving between years and is not as superior as UWisc), but they didn't and they won't review my petition for the Chicago campus until AFTER May 16. Likewise, I am waitlisted at Loyola, another desirable school but they won't draw from the waitlist until AFTER May 16.

So either I take a chance, remove my acceptance from UWisc by May 16th and hope that UIllinois will reassign me to the Chicago campus or Loyola will accept me. Or I take a chance and go with UWisc, and have to live apart from my family and make more adjustments. Do you have an words of wisdom for me?

Hoping for good news for you Jas!

@elevenses, it looks like you're leaning towards PennState & UWash. Is Pritzker off the priority list? I live in Chicago and it's a wonderful city to be in.

University of Pennsylvania, not Penn State.