2013 rank list thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A lot of people talk about New Haven as a dealbreaker for the family, but why don't they just live in the southern outskirts of Hartford (or some other town in CT) and commute to New Haven? It's not that far.

I understand the spirit of your post, but on the specifics I must point out you are wrong. Many residents with families do enjoy living in neighboring towns (Hamden, North Haven, Branford, Trumbull, Woodbridge, etc). Hartford is not a particularly nice place and I don't know anyone in the program staying there.

Members don't see this ad.

I understand the spirit of your post, but on the specifics I must point out you are wrong. Many residents with families do enjoy living in neighboring towns (Hamden, North Haven, Branford, Trumbull, Woodbridge, etc). Hartford is not a particularly nice place and I don't know anyone in the program staying there.

Oh, I don't know anything about Connecticut... I'm just referring to people on SDN who say that they don't want to rank Yale highly because of New Haven. Personally, I'd be happy to go to a place like Yale or U.Chicago or (insert great school in undesirable location) despite the downsides. Which shouldn't be a surprise, considering that my top two choices are Mayo and WashU.

But with regard to specifics, I defer to your expertise.

Happy Wife=Happy Life.

Thank you everyone for your insight!

I am the wife! :naughty: (My SDN avatar is just a homage to my favorite Arrested Development character - Tobias Funke)

And we have a little one and will likely have more during residency. My husband will be a big fancy attending as of July. I will probably never be a world renowned anything mostly because I'd like for my children and husband to know me better than strangers.

Yale made me feel excited to learn and I felt the commitment to education and training. And, yes, I think it's cool to be a wholly average person and have a chance at the Ivy League of F.Scott Fitzgerald lore. But, my entire family will probably thrive elsewhere.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you and your husband will be fine as long as you remember there's no I in Teamocil... at least not where you'd think

There's no I in Yale. Or New Haven. Or New England. But there is an I in San Antonio, North Carolina, and Louisiana. Not sure what that means...

I was at an airport on the way to an interview, and some guy was wearing a shirt that said "There's no 'I' in 'team', but there is an 'I' in WIN!!!!"... I'm still trying to figure that one out...

Any thoughts on UCSD vs UW Seattle vs Duke vs WashU? I'm interested in Child Psych & Integration between Psych & primary care and infant mental health. Thanks!

Any thoughts on UCSD vs UW Seattle vs Duke vs WashU? I'm interested in Child Psych & Integration between Psych & primary care and infant mental health. Thanks!
Do not cross post. Pick a favorite thread and run with it.

I sent an email out to my top choice telling them that I was ranking them #1. I sent the email to all three members on the admissions board. Only one responded, it was 1 week later, and all it said was "thanks for the email". I was wondering has anyone else sent out an email telling the program you are ranking them as #1? Which programs, and what was their response like?

I sent an email out to my top choice telling them that I was ranking them #1. I sent the email to all three members on the admissions board. Only one responded, it was 1 week later, and all it said was "thanks for the email". I was wondering has anyone else sent out an email telling the program you are ranking them as #1? Which programs, and what was their response like?

They probably have a policy of not saying too much.

Spill the beans bro.

Alright, I'm pretty set now. A bit of movement in the last week between my 2nd and 3rd, and 4th through 6th. A lot of movement between my 2 and 3, and 4th through 6th. But now I feel pretty confident that this will be what my list will be come the deadline. And honestly, I will be a happy camper with a program as far down to my 11th (Stanford). The only program I wish I had gotten a chance to interview was UCLA and UCSF and U Hawaii, but that's the price of being a non-citizen (aka alien).

1 Peds/Adult/Child Psychiatry Massachusetts Gen Hosp
2 Massachusetts Gen Hosp
3 Psych/Physician-Scientist Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY
4 Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY
5 NYU School Of Medicine (Research track)
6 U Washington Affil Hosps
7 Hosp of the Univ of PA
8 Harvard Longwood Psych-MA
9 Cambridge Health Alliance-MA
10 Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT
11 Stanford Univ Progs-CA
12 NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY
13 Psychiatry/Child Psych U Massachusetts Med School
14 Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY
15 Psychiatry/Research Trk UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA
16 UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA
17 NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY
18 Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD

Last edited:
The only program I wish I had gotten a chance to interview was UCLA and UCSF and U Hawaii, but that's the price of being a non-citizen (aka alien).
Just to clarify, UCLA and UCSF accepts non-citizens/aliens into their programs and both have or have recently had IMGs. Not sure about UH.

I'm sure being a non-citizen can make it harder on the application process, I just don't want potential IMGs to think that their citizenship status should stop them from applying to these programs.

Just to clarify, UCLA and UCSF accepts non-citizens/aliens into their programs and both have or have recently had IMGs. Not sure about UH.

I'm sure being a non-citizen can make it harder on the application process, I just don't want potential IMGs to think that their citizenship status should stop them from applying to these programs.

But do they sponsor H1Bs?

My impression from talking to UCSD was that the UC system is under a lot of financial pressure, and combined with how psychiatry is not a money-making department, there is an institutional policy against sponsoring H1Bs for residents and departments really have to advocate heavily for an exceptional case to make it happen, if it can be done at all. While I never heard from UCSF, I was outright rejected by UCLA pretty early on. =(

This institutional policy against H1Bs also seemed to be the case for Hopkins and Cornell.

That being said, Columbia/Stanford were willing to do it, even though this seems to be only for exceptional cases.

One interesting quirk is that NY Presbyterian cannot do it per policy, but Columbia can get around it (and not Cornell) because they have the NY state psychiatric institute that has a different line of funding.

Members don't see this ad :)

but they don't sponsor visas. i think UCSF does sponsor H1B transfers and would not be surprised if they sponsored H1bs following OPT but other than they do not.

This institutional policy against H1Bs also seemed to be the case for Hopkins and Cornell.

Well I met someone on a H1B visa last year at Hopkins. it's a hassle and they really don't like to do it. they certainly wouldn't for me. that said they did say they do sponsor H1bs if you're on a OPT.

Well I met someone on a H1B visa last year at Hopkins. it's a hassle and they really don't like to do it. they certainly wouldn't for me. that said they did say they do sponsor H1bs if you're on a OPT.

I got the strong sense during interview day that they wouldn't do it for me either, and they didn't reply to my query email post-interview.

is it a coincidence your top ranks are the ones that told you you were ranked to match?

That's a really good point.

I think the most likely reason is because I showed such strong interest to those programs during interview day and with our post-interview correspondence. I did second looks at all of my top 3 to meet potential research mentors, and kept up email correspondence expressing interest until they showed their hand. I do think that fine line between enthusiasm and annoying desperate applicant is best navigated with sincerity.

But I also think in at least 2 of those programs, they really liked me from the get-go, and their enthusiasm and warmth probably made a strong impression on me as an applicant. (I.e., after 4 years of being bottom rung of the hospital team, and all the insecurities that come along with that as a med student, getting flattered is very nice.)

is it a coincidence your top ranks are the ones that told you you were ranked to match?

You know, as one of the few child people around, I do have to point out that attachment theory says it's perfectly okay to like people that like you (even partially if the reason you like them is BECAUSE they like you)!

We don't have to be embarrassed about being influenced about such things!

We don't get married by filling out a list of people we'd like to marry ranked in terms of desirability without regards to how much the person might actually want to marry you. While it certainly shouldn't overwhelm other factors, there's nothing wrong with thinking better of places that openly display their affection, any more than it's wrong to like someone who flirts with you on a date.

There aren't very many rank lists in this rank list thread.

There aren't very many rank lists in this rank list thread.

I'm paranoid, so I won't post mine till after we can't change them. Even then, I'm not sure I will.

I didn't post my list for critique because it's almost entirely based on personal reasons with minor concern for the actual strength of the programs (that was more the consideration for where to apply and whether to interview).

perfectly okay to like people that like you (even partially if the reason you like them is BECAUSE they like you)!

I love your support. I have a sense that you will be an amazing child adolescent psychiatrist. =)

Did anyone tell Stanford that you are ranking them as #1? If so, how did they respond to you?

I felt like their response to me was rather cold...maybe a hint they are not interested in me.

Here goes:

1. University of South Carolina / Palmetto
2. Medical College of Wisconsin
3. Texas A&M / Scott & White
4. UT San Antonio
5. University of Oklahoma - Tulsa
6. Ohio State University
7. Mayo Clinic
8. Banner Good Samaritan (Phoenix)
9. University of New Mexico

There were some tough decisions. I felt like I did pretty good research the past couple years and don't think I interviewed at any programs I wouldn't like. As a result, by default some of these programs have to be at the end of the list but are not indicative of anything. I certainly didn't think Banner or UNM were "bottom-of-the-list" places. I'm sure we'll be fine wherever we match. Still hoping for #1 (Wisconsin is cold!)

Still hoping for #1 (Wisconsin is cold!)
Good luck broseph! Our interview trails overlapped a bit, but our rank lists are quite different:

1. WashU
2. Mayo Clinic
3. Cleveland Clinic (I know, crazy right?)
4. Baylor
5. Iowa combined med/psych
6. Harvard South Shore
7. Indiana U.
8. St. Luke's-Roosevelt
9. U. Kansas combined med/psych
10. U. Florida
11. Southern Illinois U. combined med/psych
12. UTHSC-San Antonio
13. Georgetown
14. St. Louis U.
15. Maimonides
16. Drexel
17. Rosalind Franklin

I flipped around between #1 and #2 several times, but as I said a few times, I ended up breaking the tie based on the weather on February 20. Today's low in Rochester MN is -2 degrees F (and 19 degrees in St. Louis).

In the end, my main factors were neuroscience research prowess and chances of getting fellowships in multidisciplinary fields like sleep or behavioral neuroscience. That's why WashU wins, that's why I almost ranked Mayo #1 (even though they don't have the research portfolio of WashU, they do have more psychiatrists in their multidisciplinary fellowships), that's why Cleveland Clinic is so high, and that's why the med/psych programs are interspersed throughout the categorical psych programs. And some places got bumped up for various reasons... i.e. SLR and location. And Florida was bumped down just because of some weird experiences on the interview day. And SLU was bumped up because I have personal ties to St. Louis... otherwise, it'd be #16. Rosalind Franklin was bumped up because my family is in Chicago... otherwise, it would have been a DNR.

In the end, I'd be stoked to be at any of my top 10 choices. For various reasons, I considered ranking all of them at #1 at some point in time.

Last edited:
You guys have reaffirmed that I should have ranked Indiana higher...

1. Stanford
2. UCLA
3. Northwestern
4. Pitt
5. Michigan
6. Dartmouth
7. Duke
8. University of Washington
9. Brown
10. WashU
11. Maryland/SP

1. UCSD
2. UWash Seattle
3. Duke
4. WashU St. Louis
5. UPMC
6. UColorado
7. Vanderbilt
8. OHSU
9. UTSW
10. Hopkins

Thanks for all the advice & insights!

1. Longwood
2. CHA
3. Penn
4. Cornell
5. Stanford
6. UCSF
7. WashU
8. Yale
9. Hopkins
10. UCLA
11. Duke
12. Wisconsin
13. Ohio State
14. Vanderbilt
15. Emory

Note: I'm couples matching with someone going into a competitive specialty. :love:

*edited* below is an alphabetical list edited from it's original order:

Dartmouth
Institute of Living/ Hartford Hospital
Johns Hopkins
LIJ
NYMC
NYU
Stonybrook
UMD/ SP
UMDNJ-Piscataway
UNC
University of Vermont

DNR: SUNY Upstate, SUNY Downstate, Maimonides, Drexel

Cancelled/ couldn't make it: Maine, Carillion, Temple, Rochester, St. Luke's Roosevelt, UConn, Albany, Berkshire Medical Center, VCU

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone tell Stanford that you are ranking them as #1? If so, how did they respond to you?

I felt like their response to me was rather cold...maybe a hint they are not interested in me.

Yes, I told them. The response was something along the lines of "Thanks for informing us. We are glad you think it is a good fit." Like you, I also came away nervous about my standing.

Alright, I'll bite. I have very significant personal reasons to be in or near either Seattle or the Bay Area:

1. UW Seattle
2. Stanford
3. San Mateo
4. CPMC
5. OHSU
6. UCLA
7. NYU
8. Columbia
9. Maryland
10. Hopkins
11. Wash U

Canceled: Longwood, GWU, and Mount Sinai.
Did not get interviews at: UCSF, MGH, UC Davis, Cornell, CHA and Georgetown

I agonized a lot over #s 3 through 6, because I loved UCLA and if I was single and had no ties, it might have been #1 or at least in the top 3. I also really liked OHSU, and I loved Portland, more than LA (except for LA's weather is much better). Numbers 7 through 11 were kind of a toss up based on gut feeling from interview day, and location.

My list is a product of incessant hemming and hawing. My top 6 were all #1 at some point.

1) Mayo Clinic
2) University of Colorado
3) University of Wisconsin - Madison
4) Indiana University
5) Medical College of Wisconsin
6) Harvard South Shore
7) University of Arizona
8) West Virginia University - Morgantown
9) University of Nebraska
10) Maine Medical Center
11) Institute of Living
12) University of Kansas - Kansas City

I'm kind of hoping I end up #3-5 on my ranklist, as asinine as that may sound.

Last edited:
It does. Any reasoning?

I ranked Mayo #1 because I felt I'd always wonder "what if?" We play this where I'll be happiest game, and I realize that it's not really possible to do that. So while there are programs I felt would be more enjoyable, I can't predict if Mayo would be unenjoyable (not looking forward to daily suits, but I can stomach it). It's worth the risk to have it on my resume.

For Colorado similar reasoning. I'm actually scared of the program given all the talk of malignancy, but I really want to get out West, and I think Colorado would set me up well for that, both for jobs and/or fellowships.

#3-5 falls into the category of programs I think I'd be the "happiest", at least during residency. But again, it's impossible to predict, and even if it's true, residency is a temporal thing, so I had to place professional considerations above it.

If I don't get #1 or 2, I won't mind, and I don't have to worry about lingering doubts or what-ifs.

1 Peds/Adult/Child Psychiatry Massachusetts Gen Hosp
2 Massachusetts Gen Hosp
3 Psych/Physician-Scientist Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY
4 Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY
5 NYU School Of Medicine (Research track)
6 U Washington Affil Hosps
7 Hosp of the Univ of PA
8 Harvard Longwood Psych-MA
9 Cambridge Health Alliance-MA
10 Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT
11 Stanford Univ Progs-CA
12 NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY
13 Psychiatry/Child Psych U Massachusetts Med School
14 Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY
15 Psychiatry/Research Trk UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA
16 UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA
17 NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY
18 Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD

No change :)
Really came down to:
1. Best program for child academia and Asian mental health clinical research- MGH
2. I love manhattan- and Sinai is Stanford East in my mind. Bellevue is also amazing.
3. Seattle
4. Philly is fun! And where can I be therapy ninja :)

Not a great list but here is mine:

VCU
UMDNJ-newark
Albany
Baystate
UK
ECU
KU-Kansas
SUNY Downstate
SLU
Maimo
Creedmor
LSU
Cooper

Last edited:
I've really found everyone's advice helpful over the past year. Thanks for letting me lurk along!

Here's my list:

USC Palmetto
USC Greenville
MUSC
UNC
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Duke
VCU
UVA
MCG

Did not rank: Emory (two residents I met at dinner seemed really miserable, and I found out that I seriously did not want to live in Atlanta)

As you can probably tell, I'm really motivated to be in South Carolina for personal reasons. I did love all the programs there, too, which is a pretty ideal situation to be in! Can't wait for Match Day.

Alright, I'll bite. I have very significant personal reasons to be in or near either Seattle or the Bay Area:

1. UW Seattle
2. Stanford
3. San Mateo
4. CPMC
5. OHSU
6. UCLA
7. NYU
8. Columbia
9. Maryland
10. Hopkins
11. Wash U

Canceled: Longwood, GWU, and Mount Sinai.
Did not get interviews at: UCSF, MGH, UC Davis, Cornell, CHA and Georgetown

I agonized a lot over #s 3 through 6, because I loved UCLA and if I was single and had no ties, it might have been #1 or at least in the top 3. I also really liked OHSU, and I loved Portland, more than LA (except for LA's weather is much better). Numbers 7 through 11 were kind of a toss up based on gut feeling from interview day, and location.

I really like your list. I hope you end up at Stanford tho, because Alan Louie from SM is now there. :)

woot.
1. NYU
2. Northwestern
3. Harvard Longwood
4. Brown combined neuro-psychiatry
5. Mount Sinai
6. Duke
7. Hopkins
8. Brown general psych
9. Pitt
10. Emory
11. Rush
12. UMaryland
13. UNC
14. Einstein
15. UMass

I really like your list. I hope you end up at Stanford tho, because Alan Louie from SM is now there. :)
Hehe, thanks! We'll see where our computer overlords send me. :D I don't really know who this Alan Louie is though, and the internet is being vague.

Hehe, thanks! We'll see where our computer overlords send me. :D I don't really know who this Alan Louie is though, and the internet is being vague.

http://med.stanford.edu/profiles/Alan_Louie/

Think of him as California's counterpart to Marshall Forstein of Cambridge. A wise gentle psychiatrist from the early 70s, when the hay-days of Mass Mental and UCSF were still the bastions of psychoanalysis on the East and Left Coast... where his graduating classmate was Steve Hyman (Director of NIMH), whom never shared a conversation until Match Day.

Alan Louie moved up the academic ranks of UCSF, a clinical expert in anxiety and psychiatry education, he was soon recruited as program director for San Mateo's community program during the last decade- that geographical region in the Bay Area between San Francisco and Stanford. Until finally in 2012, following the welcome surprise recruitment of new Department Chair and well-respected leading ethicist Dr. Laura Roberts, Dr Alan Louie moved from San Mateo to Stanford full-time, taking over the role of Vice Chair of Education in the department.

All in all, a very very cool guy, always looking forward to the next interesting conversation with a budding psychiatrist.. =)

Last edited:
Does anyone else think that the rank lists are longer this year? Most are in the 10+ ranks? And quite a few are around 15?

And where people list their DNRs, it looks like the number of interviews is up, too. Seems like everyone interviewed at at least 10 programs. Lots of people interviewed at 15+ programs.

To anyone who will share: how much contiguous time off did it take to attend that many interviews? What months were your heaviest interview months? When was your first, and last, interview?

I am trying to picture the months I am scheduled to take off (Nov and Dec), and I have a hard time seeing 15+ interviews being possible, due partly to Thanksgiving and XMAS, but even without those holidays, it still looks tough to do.

remember SDN is not representative of reality. most people dont go on more than 10 interviews, and there are many people who interview at only a handful of places. there is absolutely no reason to interview at 15+ places for the vast majority of the time.