2014-15 Anesthesiology Applications & Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I personally scheduled interviews when it was convenient and required the least flying. I don't believe that this is a problem and they understand that we can't be in 10 places at once :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Completely agree with what has been mentioned about interviewing early - programs understand the scheduling dilemma. That being said, trying to schedule interviews to maximize efficiency and minimize cost is an art which has yet to be perfected given how variable programs are regarding their invites. :D

Good luck to everyone on the trail this season! Hope to see some of you at Baylor Med in Houston!

Re prelim spots.... I've gotten a few emails that say we'll consider you only if you are considered for the anesthesia program. So the prelim spots probably wait for the advanced program to make a decision before making theirs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Re prelim spots.... I've gotten a few emails that say we'll consider you only if you are considered for the anesthesia program. So the prelim spots probably wait for the advanced program to make a decision before making theirs.

Hmmm got a prelim medicine invite without any anesthesia invite at the same location, yet their email mentioned setting up the interview date based on the anesthesia interview date. What to do: call them or wait a few hours?

Has anyone with an Emory interview received an email confirmation?

anyone who received a upenn interview, did you receive confirmation of your interview date?

Has anyone with an Emory interview received an email confirmation?

not yet, just the phone call and voicemail. When I called back the nice lady on the phone said we would get an email within a week I think

Has anyone who received a Rush interview invite on 10/8 received email confirmation? Thanks in advance!

Hmmm got a prelim medicine invite without any anesthesia invite at the same location, yet their email mentioned setting up the interview date based on the anesthesia interview date. What to do: call them or wait a few hours?

I had that happen with two places last year. I scheduled the IM interview ASAP. I then emailed the anesthesia program within a few days, just letting them know the deal. "Hey, I'm interviewing for prelim IM at your hospital on (date). I applied to the anesthesia program and have yet to hear back. I was hoping you could let me know where my application stands so I can make the necessary travel arrangements." Something along those lines. Never heard back from one of the anesthesia programs and completely wasted flying a good distance for the prelim IM interview, hoping I would eventually get an offer from the anesthesia program. The other, I was waitlisted at initially. Ended up going to that hospital twice because they didn't offer me an anesthesia interview until after I had already went for the prelim interview. Luckily, that one was within driving distance.

For people asking about preliminary programs, I am 1 for 10 on hearing back from the ones I applied to.

not yet, just the phone call and voicemail. When I called back the nice lady on the phone said we would get an email within a week I think
I received email confirmation with more info about the hotel and interview schedule yesterday.

anyone who received a upenn interview, did you receive confirmation of your interview date?
Initially I received confirmation but they forgot to put the date of my interview in the email so I had to contact them again (twice, actually). But yes, I have gotten confirmation of my interview date with them now.

Anyone had a chance to go to ASA and meet with PDs at the residency meet and greet? Were they receptive to interest in their program?

Anyone had a chance to go to ASA and meet with PDs at the residency meet and greet? Were they receptive to interest in their program?

It was good, receptivity varied. Some PDs were taking names / emails and saying they would review your file, others said flat out don't bother giving me your CV if you've already applied. Hard to tell if it can really yield any interviews beyond the ones you would get through ERAS alone but even one extra would be worth it. Other than that it's a good chance to meet residents of each program and learn their perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone with a Drexel invite heard back about dates? I emailed them with the subject/info they asked for on Thursday and still haven't heard what date I was assigned.

A little late for my response this year, but maybe it'll be helpful to people searching the forums before next year's ASA:

PD's take the time out of their already busy schedule during the ASA to spend a few hours for the sole purpose of meeting medical students. They are absolutely receptive to interest in their program.

Based on my experience (went to the ASA MS2,3 and 4 and eventually matched at a program whose PD I met at the ASA meet and greet) it can be an overwhelming and seemingly low yield experience due to the fact that there are hundreds of med students talking to programs and its hard to gauge how meaningful your interaction with a program's PD or residents has been when you're just one of many faces in the crowd. Even if you don't know what it means to the PD, you know what you can take away from it and you can definitely make an assessment of the personality of the PD even with a short interaction. Remember that come interview season you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you (for the competitive applicants this weight is heavily shifted towards the applicant interviewing the program).

I will say this though, take the things the residents say with a grain of salt when they're standing three feet away from their PD. Hard to talk about the negatives of a program (every program has them) in that setting.

Anyone else feel like the invites actually slowed down after October 1st?

Reactions: 5 users
All the anon's are detracting from the spreadsheet's usefulness...

I actually feel like the spreadsheet has been extremely helpful in detailing when interviews have gone out etc. What exactly do you feel the anons are doing that is specifically distracting? I was just wondering if there was something that others are getting out of the spreadsheet that I'm missing. I have found it mostly helpful to see that when there are a large amount of people who have said they've received interviews, likely many spots are taken.

I actually feel like the spreadsheet has been extremely helpful in detailing when interviews have gone out etc. What exactly do you feel the anons are doing that is specifically distracting? I was just wondering if there was something that others are getting out of the spreadsheet that I'm missing. I have found it mostly helpful to see that when there are a large amount of people who have said they've received interviews, likely many spots are taken.

at this point, i just assume w/e school didn't invite me yet probably put me on their reject pile.. i've only received 1 interview in the past 7 days, and they only had 4 interview dates left

I think it's still early anbuitachi! I'm sure you'll have a great season :cat:

Off topic: ... too many emoticons... got distracted picking one :barefoot: <-- feet...

of the record, when is the latest time (estimated) to get the first IV?:rolleyes:

Anyone else having trouble editing the spreadsheet? Won't let me input new data. In other news, out of the interview drought!

Anyone else having trouble editing the spreadsheet? Won't let me input new data. In other news, out of the interview drought!

I think I read somewhere that if there are more than 50 anonymous active users at one time, then the users who access the sheet after that won't be able to edit it. I haven't locked it or anything like that. Sorry!

Interview invites have definitely slowed down for me in the last week. Maybe cancellations will free up spots in early november?

Interview finally picked up for me this week but it's been annoying two of the programs I emailed back right away all their interview spots are full so I am on the wait list

What happened to the UCLA thread made by the program director thread on this forum?

For anyone who received a [recent] UWash invite, did you receive an email confirmation for your interview date?

Still haven't gotten an email confirmation from UPenn, and it's been about 6 days. Just resent an email, and I'll probably call them tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

For anyone who received a [recent] UWash invite, did you receive an email confirmation for your interview date?
I got an invite from University of Washington last Friday and they emailed me on Monday confirming my date.

Just got the invite from Rush! (I applied on oct 1st, yikes!)

has anyone who received an invite from Drexel last week been able to get a confirmation date from them?

RIght now, anon has 382 interview invites...

I knew there had to be a reason I haven't heard anything in a while...that rat bastard

In defense of the anons: I've resisted signing up for SDN for 3+ years now, but I have finally succumbed. I was one of the anons, and if you didn't notice in the control+f search for anons, most of those had numbers attached, which actually made them unique identifiers. I was one of those, and I was made to feel guilty about it by this forum because I didn't have a username. I like the idea of making the spreadsheet available to everyone who wants to put their info into it (regardless of SDN neuroticism level), and I think that the real value in it is seeing when a given program is sending out invites. I really don't see the value in comparing each of our scores to one another's.

But that's just my two cents.

Anyone else get a lovely rejection from Stanford?

Late comer here to anesthesia. Just submitted my application to programs 3 days ago. How late am I and can I expect invitations at this point?

Late comer here to anesthesia. Just submitted my application to programs 3 days ago. How late am I and can I expect invitations at this point?

Hi! Welcome :)

Many programs are currently wait listing students for interview dates. There are still a few programs that haven't given out any interviews as well. I would say your application is definitely very late but it's definitely not beyond the realm of possibility that you will get enough interviews to match if you are an otherwise strong applicant.

Hi! Welcome :)

Many programs are currently wait listing students for interview dates. There are still a few programs that haven't given out any interviews as well. I would say your application is definitely very late but it's definitely not beyond the realm of possibility that you will get enough interviews to match if you are an otherwise strong applicant.

Thanks, appreciate the response. I applied to 15 southern programs since that is where I am from. I have USMLE step I 252 and step 2 of 254. Hopefully I am not too late...

Could anybody comment on which programs in the states of Louisiana, texas, florida, and sc still haven't invited yet or will be sending more invites? These are the states I applied to and just wondering if most are all filled up since Im late.