2014-2015 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I adopted a greyhound . Cheaper and a great distraction.

I actually adopted a Greyhound mix before and yes they're awesome! Have fun with him!

Members don't see this ad.

Dear ZC,

Happy Birthday! We're rejecting you! We hope you have received admission to another school because it sure as **** aint here! If, not, hahahahahaha!

-Columbia University

Reactions: 1 users
4 MD interviews yielded one rejection, 2 waitlists, and one pending.
3 DO interviews yielded 3 acceptances.

My last MD interview is coming up and I'm just not sure if MD schools like my personality based on the response I've gotten from them in the past. :/ Feeling very nervous.

My thoughts...................You are meant to be a DO. I have friends and relatives that are both MDs and DOs. They all are called Doctor! Need I say more???? In my area, MDs and DOs work together. I am in a Post Bac at a MD school and many of my profs are DOs..... What does that tell you????

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got a DO acceptance after being on post-II hold since early December.
But I get to stay in panic mode as I'm still waiting to hear break from my top choice.
I think I'm going to slowly go insane.

Reactions: 2 users
I moved on from "no-ii panic" to "late-interview panic".

I have three DO interviews scheduled (so grateful!), two in early March, one in April. So, my panic questions are:
-am I interviewing for a waitlist?
-would schools tell you you're interviewing for a waitlist?
-are decisions sent out faster this late in the game?

Sorry for my neuroticism but hey, it's SDN and the Panic Thread!

Unless you are told otherwise, you should assume you are interviewing for a regular spot. I have an interview in March, but that school regularly interviews late-ish into the cycle. I also read of someone being told by a school they were interviewing for a waitlist spot. Some schools may be more liberal with early acceptances so you may be interviewing for fewer seats, but I don't imagine most schools interview with the intention of waitlisting. I only applied MD though and truthfully have no idea how any of this works, just an opinion.

I moved on from "no-ii panic" to "late-interview panic".

I have three DO interviews scheduled (so grateful!), two in early March, one in April. So, my panic questions are:
-am I interviewing for a waitlist?
-would schools tell you you're interviewing for a waitlist?
-are decisions sent out faster this late in the game?

Sorry for my neuroticism but hey, it's SDN and the Panic Thread!

Given that DO schools have a later deadline than MD schools, I would imagine a later interview with them would not be equivalent to a later MD interview slot. I still like your chances a lot with 3 interviews heading your way. Like the above poster, I am mostly outside the DO process and this is my best guess based on established fact.

Reactions: 1 user
Joining the panic thread!

Had 4 interviews already, 1 rej, 1WL. 2 decisions pending.

Have 3 more interviews coming up and is freaking out....

LizzyM 72, which is not stellar but I wasn't expecting such a situation in the end of Feb either.

Only two interviews this year, and both still decision pending (although they're 95% reject/WL). Looks like I may be taking a few years off from the app cycle pretty soon!

Joining the panic thread!

Had 4 interviews already, 1 rej, 1WL. 2 decisions pending.

Have 3 more interviews coming up and is freaking out....

LizzyM 72, which is not stellar but I wasn't expecting such a situation in the end of Feb either.

I know the panic mode doesn't end until we have an acceptance in hand, but with 2 decisions pending and 3 more interviews to go, the odds are definitely in your favor!

Reactions: 3 users
Lol love this thread, and a little over than 2 weeks ago I would have been the posterboy. I had scheduled 9 interveiws (1 was for a waitlist, and another was probable wailist), been to 7 interveiws (5DO. 2 MD) and the results were in order: rejected,rejected, waitlist, silence, rejected, and then finally not 1, but 2 acceptances.

The moral: Its really not you and your "sucky" interveiw skills (well, unless you have been told that), its just a crapshoot sometimes. Also when they tell you 'if your here your stats are good enough for this program,' thats pretty much a lie if your stats are below average.

So remember, its not you, its them, really. And feelings post interview are not really predictors of anything.

Reactions: 11 users
Turning in my panic card! was accepted to an MD school that I'm absolutely thrilled to attend with a LizzyM of 66! There's still hope for everyone out there so keep your chin up! :)

Reactions: 13 users
PANIC-----
1 hold
1 waitlist
3 pending

*perpetual knot in my stomach*

Members don't see this ad :)
You people have it pretty good. I have had 1 interview which resulted in a rejection, and 15 pre-interview rejections. LizzyM 69. No acceptances. Looks like I will need to reapply.

After 1.5 years on the Panic Thread (yes, I was on the 2013-2014 thread as well!), I can finally hand in the panic card today. After 2 waitlists, 3 rejections at five top 10 schools, I was in despair and almost believed that I cannot be a physician. (and for some reason, I only got II from top-10 schools)...

At almost all these schools, I was told that "you're interviewing at XxX, you will be a physician after all; just relax..." or some other things like that. Imagine my disappointment last cycle when I realized I have to reapply this cycle. It was so difficult.

Today, along with rejection from my alma mater, I got accepted to a top 25-school ...

So, if you have to reapply in the end, just keep your heads up and keep working:luck:

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
welpp 4 interviews overall, 2 WLs, one rejection, and one pending. this waitttt

2 II --> 1 WL, the other one (my top choice) is pending. I'm trying to funnel all of this nervous energy into my job and into my thesis, but gahhhhhhhhhhh this is killing me. The thought of having to retake the MCAT (36 but it's going to expire) for next cycle terrifies me.

Reapplicant. 3 II. 1 hold and two pending. I feel like I'm literally watching everyone around me get acceptances. :( Everytime my phone buzzes I have an anxiety attack. This seriously cannot be healthy in any way...

Well, let's see how this goes....lol

6II 4 WL, 2 decision pending (but from late February interviews)

Maybe I should imagine myself on some tropical island listening to ocean waves and sea gulls. haha

Just got a surprise ii today. I thought this application cycle was wrapping up but obviously there's still a chance. I'm not saying stop panicking (if I were this would be the absolute worst thread to do so in) but keep hope alive!

Panicking hard. 5 IIs of which 1 WL, 3 pending since December/January, and one next week. Going to be petrified about messing up at the last interview.

Reapplicant. 3 II. 1 hold and two pending. I feel like I'm literally watching everyone around me get acceptances. :( Everytime my phone buzzes I have an anxiety attack. This seriously cannot be healthy in any way...
Congrats on 2 acceptances!!! No more panic for you.

Congrats on 2 acceptances!!! No more panic for you.

:happy: Thank you so much! I am so incredibly grateful! It still feels very unreal. Also. For those of you who are still waiting to hear back, I changed my picture to a penguin literally three days before getting my first acceptance. Which was then followed shortly after by my second acceptance. I'm just saying ;) Good luck guys! I know how it feels to be in this spot from last year! Heads up and just remember that that one last seat left in a class could be yours!

sidenote: what is the penguin thing? I noticed that a lot of SDNers have penguin avatars...am I missing something?

sidenote: what is the penguin thing? I noticed that a lot of SDNers have penguin avatars...am I missing something?

Class of 2019 is composed only of penguins. You gotta be a penguin to get in med school this year.

Reactions: 5 users
So, I'm officially in on this thread. 6 interviews, 3 rejects, a wait list and two 'continued' limbo. Have one more interview, not terribly optimistic however.

So, I'm officially in on this thread. 6 interviews, 3 rejects, a wait list and two 'continued' limbo. Have one more interview, not terribly optimistic however.

All you need is one. This last interview could be your acceptance. Don't give up hope yet.

Reactions: 5 users
Man, just keep on going on, see my post. I was in the exact same place as you and the last interview ended up accepting me(And a slower school did too later).

Take full advantage of your interview day, interact well, ask questions, be just as engaged as if it was the first interview. Your feelings aren't indicative of anything. I felt so bad in the middle of my last interview, I left before the tour and lunch. And they took me!

Keep up the faith. You didn't get all those interviews cause you suck, you got em cause they see something! Your gonna get an acceptance, just be patient, trust in Gods plan for you. Chin up!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

I just got my first acceptance on my second to last interview in late February, so don't lose hope.

Oh, and turning in panic card.
That was short...

Reactions: 3 users
I'm officially joining you guys. 4 interviews, 2 rejections, 1 wait list, 1 hold.
09b.jpg

Joining y'all, 4 IIs, 2 WLs, and 2 that are either WLs or rejections (all the admit days have passed, now have to wait till the end of the month to find out). This is so much fun.

All you need is one. This last interview could be your acceptance. Don't give up hope yet.

Man, just keep on going on, see my post. I was in the exact same place as you and the last interview ended up accepting me(And a slower school did too later).

Take full advantage of your interview day, interact well, ask questions, be just as engaged as if it was the first interview. Your feelings aren't indicative of anything. I felt so bad in the middle of my last interview, I left before the tour and lunch. And they took me!

Keep up the faith. You didn't get all those interviews cause you suck, you got em cause they see something! Your gonna get an acceptance, just be patient, trust in Gods plan for you. Chin up!
Thanks guys. Yea the double rejections really got me down, but after a couple of days the sting has worn off. Pumped to smash my next interview.
I just got my first acceptance on my second to last interview in late February, so don't lose hope.

Oh, and turning in panic card.
That was short...
congrats man!

Joining y'all, 4 IIs, 2 WLs, and 2 that are either WLs or rejections (all the admit days have passed, now have to wait till the end of the month to find out). This is so much fun.
Let's hope Cornell pulls through, but (mid-)May is so far away... :-/

I think it's actually May 1st that they're expecting first movement this year, since the new traffic rules changed the single acceptance date to April 30th. At least that's what my wait list emails (Cornell included) seemed to imply. Yay 2 weeks less of waiting! For first movement, that is...

I think it's actually May 1st that they're expecting first movement this year, since the new traffic rules changed the single acceptance date to April 30th. At least that's what my wait list emails (Cornell included) seemed to imply. Yay 2 weeks less of waiting! For first movement, that is...

I'm rooting for both of you guys!

Like I was last year, I am back on the panic thread. 4th round applicant. 2 II, 2 I, 1 waitlist and 1 only g-d knows. Last year applied to more schools, had more interviews, and no acceptances.

Time to start panicing. 4II, 3I(all in march), 1 interview approaching. All my interviews have been recent, most said i'll be hearing within the next three weeks, probably why i'm finally starting to panic:p

Last two interviews went well enough at least, especially my most recent. Though I have no finger nails at this point...

First one was an MMI in which I actually paused for 15-30 seconds trying to catch my train of thought in the middle of one of my answers:lol:maybe I nailed the other 6 though:D

Turning in my panic card--got an acceptance from a school I interviewed "late" at so DON'T LOSE HOPE GUYS!! I'm rooting that we all become doctors! GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: 9 users
Turning in my panic card--got an acceptance from a school I interviewed "late" at so DON'T LOSE HOPE GUYS!! I'm rooting that we all become doctors! GOOD LUCK!
:biglove: It's a huge sigh of relief, isn't it?

As a (former) senior resident (1+ years) on this thread, I just want to share the news that I just got another II few minutes ago (not sure if I should go for better financial offer) for their last interview date of the cycle. So keep the hopes up if you're still looking for an II.

Just got three notifications of being placed on waitlists these past two weeks. So far, 4 waitlists out of 6 interviews... my panic is gaining some serious momentum.

Panic card turned in. Applied late so I've basically been panicking since october when I was complete. Had 1 II as of 2/28, but have attended 4 interviews (got three march II for march interviews). Just got my first acceptance today. So relieved. Sending positive vibes to everyone still waiting. :D

Reactions: 13 users
Any relief yet? The waiting really is the worst. You have my sympathies and understanding.

Any relief yet? The waiting really is the worst. You have my sympathies and understanding.

Thank you! Yes actually! I was extremely fortunate to be accepted to two different schools. I have no idea how I got so lucky and I still feel like it's a dream. I'm cheering for everyone else here on this thread though. As a re-applicant this thread from last year was a god-send in helping me keep my sanity haha.

I guess the fact that I just started a thread about my panic means I'm definitely holding a panic card. 5IIs, 5 waitlists, checking in for the long haul.

For those on wait lists, be happy the accept deadline moved up 15 days this year to April 30th. Only ~30 more days left.

I guess the fact that I just started a thread about my panic means I'm definitely holding a panic card. 5IIs, 5 waitlists, checking in for the long haul.

One of the waitlists is a HPWL, right? I heard there's usually quite a bit of waitlist movement on that one. :)

Hopefully, the school will see how awesome we both are and take us off the HPWL. :D