2014-2015 Underdawgs Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
More like "here's $100K as a donation. Accept my child and I'll triple that".

OR

"Accept my kid and there will be a sizable donation to your scholarship fund"

So how much is it to buy one's way into a medical school? It really seems awkward. It's like ... here is a million dollars, by the way I'm applying this year. Is that how the conversation goes? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users

OR

I feel so much better knowing that I saved my parents close to $400k.

I believe so. It's something like that. But whenever the app opens up, start typing in your grades. It's a huge pain in the ass. You have to hand type all of your undergraduate courses, their course numbers, your grade, and then you have to correctly sort them in to a specific category (biology, non science, math, etc). It takes a couple of hours and I'm glad I was able to roll my application over. I would have hated doing that over again. You can also pre write your personal statement and then copy and paste it in.

My best advice for letters of rec is when you ask, make sure to give the writer a deadline. If you just say "write it whenever you have free time", they will never do it. Also, don't feel bad about reminding them. It's not annoying. If they miss the deadline, shoot them a polite email and remind them again.

+1

Entering all those classes really is a pain. You have to go through your entire transcript and list each and every single class one by one. When it got verified there were some errors because they changed around a few things. I had to correspond with them 3 times to fix everything.

Filling out the application should be spread out over a couple of days.

Apply early with the best possible application. I spent the entire month of August returning secondaries and wasn't complete everywhere until September. I probably would have gotten more interviews if I had everything done within 2 weeks.

You don't want to be sitting around for a response when everyone else is talking about how exciting their interviews were!

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Click "Reply" on the most recent underdog list.
2) Delete the quote brackets at both the top and the bottom of the post.
3a) Add your username alphabetically if it is not on the list.
3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
4) If you see some formatting errors and you have time, try to fix them.
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration
*Special Consideration: Military Service, International Student, IA

bowser20 3.03 cGPA/3.03 sGPA/pending MCAT
danny89 3.27 cGPA/3.07 sGPA/pending MCAT
docemmetbrown 3.07 cGPA/3.0 sGPA/pending MCAT
dotdalamb 3.2/3.1/28
Dr.bonesmccoy 3.20 cGPA/3.0 sGPA/pending MCAT
DrTurkelton 3.08 cGPA/3.13 sGPA/31 MCAT (retake planned)
medhopeful811 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending MCAT
stickshifthonda 3.41cGPA (not including study abroad)/3.1sGPA/22MCAT (pending retake)
westernredcedar 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending MCAT
victoriah 3.25 cGPA/3.29 sGPA/pending MCAT
Sean Lee 3.5+ cGPA/3.25+ sGPA/pending MCAT
Dreamstoo 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending MCAT
IWillOneDay 3.4 cGPA/3.2-.3 sGPA/26 MCAT (retake in July after applying)
Stephanopolous 3.0cgpa/3.1sgpa/mcat 8/21/14

Members don't see this ad :)

OR

There's enough non-URM in the bottom 10th percentile range of MD schools to fill up 25+ schools of their own (2,600 whites, 600 asians; according to MCAT). It would be far cry to assume that all these students had rich parents or a miraculous story. You just need to understand how a bell curve works and a little luck.

Actually, I must admit that I forgot about the URMs, but they're not all URM. It also depends upon the school. Iowa is unlikely to have many URM, for example.

There's enough non-URM in the bottom 10th percentile range of MD schools to fill up 25+ schools of their own (2,600 whites, 600 asians; according to MCAT). It would be far cry to assume that all these students had rich parents or a miraculous story. You just need to understand how a bell curve works and a little luck.

Last edited:
Actually, I must admit that I forgot about the YRMs, but they're not all URM. It also depends upon the school. Iowa is unlikely to have many URM, for example.

The ~3200 matriculants I suggested were all non-URM. They were white and asian matriculants with a MCAT score in the 10th percentile of most schools.

3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration

dotdalamb 3.2/3.1/28
justbananas 3.4 cGPA/3.5 sGPA/ 25 MCAT (retake planned)
stickshifthonda 3.41cGPA (not including study abroad)/3.1sGPA/22MCAT (pending retake)
Stephanopolous 3.0cgpa/3.1sgpa/mcat 8/21/14[/quote]

5) Click "Post Reply"

dotdalamb 3.2/3.1/28

Just signed up for an early September MCAT! Make sure to sign up as soon as possible if you have not. Spots do fill up!! :) Helpful advice, I believe, to underdogs or non-underdogs. The late 2014 dates will be jam packed since people do not seem to want to experiment with the new 2015 MCAT.

Plan to apply this cycle but don't know how I feel about adding myself to the list with "pending MCAT". Then again, I won't know until July..

5) Click "Post Reply"

dotdalamb 3.2/3.1/28
polylux 3.37 cGPA/3.30 sGPA/29 MCAT (retaking on 4/5)

polylux, your mcat is fine. anything above a 29 only offers marginal advantage compared to retaking a few courses and having a higher GPA. Just something to consider.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
polylux, your mcat is fine. anything above a 29 only offers marginal advantage compared to retaking a few courses and having a higher GPA. Just something to consider.

From their other posts, they are also applying MD - which a higher MCAT is definitely required to offset the lower GPA!

With all the competition these days, does anyone else feel that at the more established DO schools, they would rather take someone with a 3.5/3.5 without retakes, compared to someone with the "same" stats but due to retakes? I'm IS at MSU, and they told me that the committee doesn't look too favourable on retakes, and would prefer applicants to take more upper level classes and do well, than retake lower level classes(even if it will significantly increase gpa).

Ever hear about other schools?

With all the competition these days, does anyone else feel that at the more established DO schools, they would rather take someone with a 3.5/3.5 without retakes, compared to someone with the "same" stats but due to retakes? I'm IS at MSU, and they told me that the committee doesn't look too favourable on retakes, and would prefer applicants to take more upper level classes and do well, than retake lower level classes(even if it will significantly increase gpa).

Ever hear about other schools?
As they would prefer a rhodes scholar from harvard with a 4.0. I'm willing to wager that a 3.5 with retakes will get more attention than a 3.1 with upper division courses. If you are applying this coming cycle, stop worrying about what you can't change of your application. Applying broadly should always be the case. Even I think I got extremely lucky by applying to 5 top 2 mid and 1 new program. If I had to do it again, I'd narrow it to 3, 3, 2. If you're wondering I got interviews at 1 top, 1 mid and 1 new.

From their other posts, they are also applying MD - which a higher MCAT is definitely required to offset the lower GPA!

I'm actually considering just applying DO. Do you think it's worth retaking the MCAT at all? I'm okay with my 29, but I don't want to regret it later. The main schools I'm interested in right now are PCOM, DMUCOM, and CUSOM. Maybe Western U/COMP. My GPA seems low regardless, but I'm graduating and won't be retaking classes.

I'm actually considering just applying DO. Do you think it's worth retaking the MCAT at all? I'm okay with my 29, but I don't want to regret it later. The main schools I'm interested in right now are PCOM, DMUCOM, and CUSOM. Maybe Western U/COMP. My GPA seems low regardless, but I'm graduating and won't be retaking classes.
You're aiming high with PCOM, DMU and Western. They are possible, but even with a higher MCAT, I don't think you'll offset the GPA. You should apply broadly though. CUSOM is a good choice for backup.

Retaking a 29 for DO is somewhat of a gamble... You should be ok for these schools with your 3.3+ c/sGPA and 29 MCAT. Do NOT retake if you are applying to DO schools only.

Retaking a 29 for DO is somewhat of a gamble... You should be ok for these schools with your 3.3+ c/sGPA and 29 MCAT. Do NOT retake if you are applying to DO schools only.
You're aiming high with PCOM, DMU and Western. They are possible, but even with a higher MCAT, I don't think you'll offset the GPA. You should apply broadly though. CUSOM is a good choice for backup.

Just discovered this multi-quote function and it made me more excited than it should, ha.

CUSOM is actually one my top choices - my SO is doing his PhD at NCSU right now and really likes the area, as do I. I'm also liking MUCOM. CUSOM specifically states they look at your highest MCAT as well.

While I understand that a 29 is fairly good, I'm probably still going to retake it as scheduled. It's only a week away, and I've prepped and spent a lot of time preparing. My practice exams have been above 30, so I'm pretty sure that at the least, I won't score below 29.

Just discovered this multi-quote function and it made me more excited than it should, ha.

CUSOM is actually one my top choices - my SO is doing his PhD at NCSU right now and really likes the area, as do I. I'm also liking MUCOM. CUSOM specifically states they look at your highest MCAT as well.

While I understand that a 29 is fairly good, I'm probably still going to retake it as scheduled. It's only a week away, and I've prepped and spent a lot of time preparing. My practice exams have been above 30, so I'm pretty sure that at the least, I won't score below 29.
MUCOM and CUSOM are very likely with your credentials. It would all boil down to your interview. Marian is unusual with its MMI.

Hello all, I hope that the semester is going well. I have a question regarding cGPA and sGPA that I hope someone may be able to answer. If, after retakes, my cGPA was at max about 3.2 (17 hours of retakes, best case scenario), and my sGPA about 3.9, would this be a red flag? Unfortunately, most of my undergraduate credits were non-science, so after taking retakes to boost the cGPA and then taking the required science courses, this would be my best case scenario when applying to DO schools.

I am currently working full-time and in the process of one retake (calculus 1 - got a 100 on my first exam), and planning on upping the load during the next semester or so if it is reasonable.

Thanks for your help!

Hello all, I hope that the semester is going well. I have a question regarding cGPA and sGPA that I hope someone may be able to answer. If, after retakes, my cGPA was at max about 3.2 (17 hours of retakes, best case scenario), and my sGPA about 3.9, would this be a red flag? Unfortunately, most of my undergraduate credits were non-science, so after taking retakes to boost the cGPA and then taking the required science courses, this would be my best case scenario when applying to DO schools.

I am currently working full-time and in the process of one retake (calculus 1 - got a 100 on my first exam), and planning on upping the load during the next semester or so if it is reasonable.

Thanks for your help!
I had a 3.2/3.6 and that wasn't an issue. Just get a good MCAT and doors will open.

That's ( or was) a very competitive sGPA for DO!
I believe I had strong ECs too (with leadership in Pre-SOMA), yet I didn't get an interview at every place I applied. I think people need to realize it's not as easy as they may think it is. Every successful underdog I see has a strong EC background and throws a wide net with their applications.

I believe I had strong ECs too (with leadership in Pre-SOMA), yet I didn't get an interview at every place I applied. I think people need to realize it's not as easy as they may think it is. Every successful underdog I see has a strong EC background and throws a wide net with their applications.
I know... Applying to med school was the strangest process I have even been in. Getting into med school seems to be a crapshoot!

5) Click "Post Reply"

dotdalamb 3.2/3.1/28
tweety14 3.21 cGPA/2.99 sGPA/32 MCAT

Hey tweety how did you study for the MCAT

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Quick question guys: if I want to sign up for two MCATs this summer, is it possible? I plan to take it earlier than I originally plan but I want to have the other option open if I didn't feel I did well the first time.

I just wanted to wish everyone luck for the next cycle.
I also wanted to offer some hope for you all.
I had a 3.49 cGPA and a 3.8 sGPA with a 25 MCAT (8,9,8)
The sGPA looks good but I was a Poly-Sci major so I only had the basic science classes.
I also was placed on academic suspension after my freshman year. I returned to school with a clear focus on medicine and did much better.
I applied to 7 schools, received 4 interviews and 4 acceptances.
I got some great advice on SDN especially after I got my MCAT score. Apply broadly, get STRONG LOR's and don't lose hope. It can be done.
Again best of luck to you all, see you on rounds one day!

I just wanted to wish everyone luck for the next cycle.
I also wanted to offer some hope for you all.
I had a 3.49 cGPA and a 3.8 sGPA with a 25 MCAT (8,9,8)
The sGPA looks good but I was a Poly-Sci major so I only had the basic science classes.
I also was placed on academic suspension after my freshman year. I returned to school with a clear focus on medicine and did much better.
I applied to 7 schools, received 4 interviews and 4 acceptances.
I got some great advice on SDN especially after I got my MCAT score. Apply broadly, get STRONG LOR's and don't lose hope. It can be done.
Again best of luck to you all, see you on rounds one day!

:). Thanks for the story. And your MCAT score was 8 or higher in each section which is good. I had a friend with a 24 who also got into a DO school with a slightly higher cGPA than yours and a 3.6 sGPA. If you really want it you can get it.

Hey tweety how did you study for the MCAT

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
Hi! I had a limited amount of study time (from beginning of July to beginning of September). However, I wasn't in classes or working at the time so I was able to devote a lot of time/day to studying. At the very beginning I took the Princeton Review free online practice test to see where I was starting from. After I saw how much work I had to do :nailbiting: I bought a used set of Princeton Review books, one for each subject and the larger one full of practice problems divided by subject, I believe from eBay. The majority of my time was used reading through these books to re-teach myself topics that I needed to refresh and doing AS MANY OF THE IN-BOOK PRACTICE PROBLEMS AS POSSIBLE!! I believe this was a better use of my time than taking a more structured class because there were some topics I had to go slowly through, like physics, and others that I had recently taken classes on and just needed to glance at to remind myself of the main themes.
I then paid for the Gold Standard practice tests and some of the official AAMC practice tests (I think I only got the last 4 AAMC tests, there are threads discussing which ones are most similar to the current exam). I started slow doing about one test (sometimes two) a week. I began with the Gold Standard ones. After each test, I looked at each problem and asked myself why I got that question right or wrong. I kept a written log of the mistakes I made to try to notice patterns. Then, I would go back into the sections that I missed several questions on and review those parts of the Princeton Review books again and re-work some of the in-book problems. This is also about the same time that I began making a formulas and facts I need to know sheet containing things I commonly forgot during testing. At about a week or two before the test date I began doing a practice test every day. I would wake up in the morning, do a short work out (gotta keep that blood pumping!), do practice problems based on the mistakes I made the previous day (at this point I had most of the content down so it was a lot of bone-headed screw ups) and my lowest scoring sections, and then around noon or one (because this was my future test time) I would sit and take a full practice test. Afterwards, I would take a look over my answers, read over any subjects I didn't understand and then do it all again the next day. The day before my test I looked at my "have to know sheet" in the morning and then took the next ~24 hours off for some me time. The day of the test was much more stressful than I anticipated but besides that I felt well prepared. I hope this helps, best of luck!

How well did you find yourself doing on the practice tests? Did you see any upward trend in scores?

Hi! I had a limited amount of study time (from beginning of July to beginning of September). However, I wasn't in classes or working at the time so I was able to devote a lot of time/day to studying. At the very beginning I took the Princeton Review free online practice test to see where I was starting from. After I saw how much work I had to do :nailbiting: I bought a used set of Princeton Review books, one for each subject and the larger one full of practice problems divided by subject, I believe from eBay. The majority of my time was used reading through these books to re-teach myself topics that I needed to refresh and doing AS MANY OF THE IN-BOOK PRACTICE PROBLEMS AS POSSIBLE!! I believe this was a better use of my time than taking a more structured class because there were some topics I had to go slowly through, like physics, and others that I had recently taken classes on and just needed to glance at to remind myself of the main themes.
I then paid for the Gold Standard practice tests and some of the official AAMC practice tests (I think I only got the last 4 AAMC tests, there are threads discussing which ones are most similar to the current exam). I started slow doing about one test (sometimes two) a week. I began with the Gold Standard ones. After each test, I looked at each problem and asked myself why I got that question right or wrong. I kept a written log of the mistakes I made to try to notice patterns. Then, I would go back into the sections that I missed several questions on and review those parts of the Princeton Review books again and re-work some of the in-book problems. This is also about the same time that I began making a formulas and facts I need to know sheet containing things I commonly forgot during testing. At about a week or two before the test date I began doing a practice test every day. I would wake up in the morning, do a short work out (gotta keep that blood pumping!), do practice problems based on the mistakes I made the previous day (at this point I had most of the content down so it was a lot of bone-headed screw ups) and my lowest scoring sections, and then around noon or one (because this was my future test time) I would sit and take a full practice test. Afterwards, I would take a look over my answers, read over any subjects I didn't understand and then do it all again the next day. The day before my test I looked at my "have to know sheet" in the morning and then took the next ~24 hours off for some me time. The day of the test was much more stressful than I anticipated but besides that I felt well prepared. I hope this helps, best of luck!

Quick question guys: if I want to sign up for two MCATs this summer, is it possible? I plan to take it earlier than I originally plan but I want to have the other option open if I didn't feel I did well the first time.

Please someone answer this, I need to know this :). Thank you

Check the registration windows for each date on the MCAT calendar. I would wait for round 2 until you've seen your 1st score and know where your weaknesses may lie. And if you happen to just go for two, keep in mind a lower score the second time will not be looked upon favorably. Especially considering the run and gun method you're proposing.

From what I remember, you can only have one active enrollment for the MCAT at a time. 48 hours after you take your MCAT you are allowed to re-enroll for another one.

Check the registration windows for each date on the MCAT calendar. I would wait for round 2 until you've seen your 1st score and know where your weaknesses may lie. And if you happen to just go for two, keep in mind a lower score the second time will not be looked upon favorably. Especially considering the run and gun method you're proposing.

I think i should have elaborated on my question. Does AAMC let you sign up for two separate MCAT dates that are within a month?

I think i should have elaborated on my question. Does AAMC let you sign up for two separate MCAT dates that are within a month?

I apologize, I may have misunderstood the question myself. But according to the AAMC, you can't register for another MCAT until two days after you take the first one you registered. I don't know how you can fit in two into a month with that stipulation. Unless you manage to sign up for a test within the first few days of the month and then schedule the next one for the first few days of the next month after you took your first test.

I do still stick to my previous advice of getting the score back and then deciding on test number two after that.

From what I remember, you can only have one active enrollment for the MCAT at a time. 48 hours after you take your MCAT you are allowed to re-enroll for another one.
Sorry didn't see this, thanks!

]DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
5) Click "Post Reply"

dotdalamb 3.2/3.1/28
tweety14 3.21 cGPA/2.99 sGPA/32 MCAT
westernredcedar 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending
dutchie000 3.4 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending

Have some ochem retakes under my belt for both semesters (Took my first semesters three years before my second and got a C, so took it over
for grade replacement and to refresh my memory. Then took second semester at my university and withdrew because I was anticipating a D, then took over the summer and got a B.) and some other Cs... My biggest weaknesses for sure.

Pssst. Read step 3a.

Reactions: 3 users
URM AA- 3.4cgpa, 3.2sgpa. My MCAT is in 3 weeks. What score should I aim for in order to have a good chance at an acceptance? Thank you in advance.

So I am currently on waitlist at 1 one school post-interview and radio silence at another post-interview so I thought I'd come and introduce myself to you wonderful people.

3.3 cGPA
3.1 sGPA
3.5 post-bac GPA with upper div sciences
24 MCAT (7/8/9)
+200 hours clinical experience at a Hospital , +100 hours as a Department Coordinator for Surgical floor
3 research experiences each 1 year of experience
Latino and fluent in Spanish

I think my problem was that my application and secondaries were all complete by November rather than immediately.

Without retaking my MCAT, do you guys think just adding more shadowing hours is sufficient enough to reapply? Tips? Any re-applications here?

URM AA- 3.4cgpa, 3.2sgpa. My MCAT is in 3 weeks. What score should I aim for in order to have a good chance at an acceptance? Thank you in advance.
23+ should suffice. Probably 25 for the most competitive programs.