2014-2015 Underdawgs Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I am currently on waitlist at 1 one school post-interview and radio silence at another post-interview so I thought I'd come and introduce myself to you wonderful people.

3.3 cGPA
3.1 sGPA
3.5 post-bac GPA with upper div sciences
24 MCAT (7/8/9)
+200 hours clinical experience at a Hospital , +100 hours as a Department Coordinator for Surgical floor
3 research experiences each 1 year of experience
Latino and fluent in Spanish

I think my problem was that my application and secondaries were all complete by November rather than immediately.

Without retaking my MCAT, do you guys think just adding more shadowing hours is sufficient enough to reapply? Tips? Any re-applications here?
What was your school list? If you look at the statistics, you'll see Hispanics have the same GPA average as Asian applicants, and an MCAT average similar to Caucasians. Simply put, your application is not competitive, unless your goal is a new low tier school like LMU or ACOM.

Members don't see this ad.

What was your school list? If you look at the statistics, you'll see Hispanics have the same GPA average as Asian applicants, and an MCAT average similar to Caucasians. Simply put, your application is not competitive, unless your goal is a new low tier school like LMU or ACOM.
ouch...so MCAT retake is what you are saying? better hope one of those 2 schools call me

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have applied previously, question: how are ECs inputted into the AACOMAS app? I know for the AAMC, it's 15 experiences and there's weird things with the time and hours input. Is there anything like that on the AACOMAS? Is it advisable to state the number of hours worked vs a length of time? IE: I have worked in an ED for 2 years, totaling about 3,000 hrs; should I write 3,000 hrs or just indicate the 2 years?

Just popping in to say hi and best of luck to everyone! I'll post official stats once I take the MCAT here in a couple weeks :dead:

For those who have applied previously, question: how are ECs inputted into the AACOMAS app? I know for the AAMC, it's 15 experiences and there's weird things with the time and hours input. Is there anything like that on the AACOMAS? Is it advisable to state the number of hours worked vs a length of time? IE: I have worked in an ED for 2 years, totaling about 3,000 hrs; should I write 3,000 hrs or just indicate the 2 years?
I too would like some advice on this. I have started to write up my primary but I am not 100% sure I am doing it correctly/have all that I need.

I understand that it is broken down into two sections: work, and pretty much everything else. And that for each section you get 750 characters to describe it. But otherwise, I have no clue what the primary app format is actually like.

DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Click "Reply" on the most recent underdog list.
2) Delete the quote brackets at both the top and the bottom of the post.
3a) Add your username alphabetically if it is not on the list.
3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
4) If you see some formatting errors and you have time, try to fix them.
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration

*Special Consideration: Military Service, International Student, IA

beanbag2 3.74 cGPA/ 3.61 sGPA/ 23 MCAT (retake planned in July)
bowser20 3.03 cGPA/3.03 sGPA/pending MCAT
danny89 3.27 cGPA/3.07 sGPA/pending MCAT
docemmetbrown 3.07 cGPA/3.0 sGPA/pending MCAT
dotdalamb 3.2/3.1/28
Dr.bonesmccoy 3.20 cGPA/3.0 sGPA/pending MCAT
Dreamstoo 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending MCAT
DrTurkelton 3.08 cGPA/3.13 sGPA/31 MCAT (retake planned)
IWillOneDay 3.4 cGPA/3.2-.3 sGPA/26 MCAT (retake in July after applying)
justbananas 3.4 cGPA/3.5 sGPA/ 25 MCAT (retake planned)
medhopeful811 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending MCAT
polylux 3.37 cGPA/3.30 sGPA/29 MCAT (retaking on 4/5)
Sean Lee 3.5+ cGPA/3.25+ sGPA/pending MCAT
Stephanopolous 3.0cgpa/3.1sgpa/mcat 8/21/14
stickshifthonda 3.41cGPA (not including study abroad)/3.1sGPA/22MCAT (pending retake)
tweety14 3.21 cGPA/2.99 sGPA/32 MCAT
victoriah 3.25 cGPA/3.29 sGPA/pending MCAT
westernredcedar 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending
dutchie000 3.4 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending

I too would like some advice on this. I have started to write up my primary but I am not 100% sure I am doing it correctly/have all that I need.

I understand that it is broken down into two sections: work, and pretty much everything else. And that for each section you get 750 characters to describe it. But otherwise, I have no clue what the primary app format is actually like.

Not sure if you can still do this, but I created an account a couple months ago and filled out the app, then took screenshots so that I can quickly fill it out again when it opens for 2015 (one less thing to worry about). The format is pretty straight forward - just know dates (month/year), # of hours (for volunteer/ECs), and be able to jot down details/what you learned from each experience. It's really not too bad. And then obviously have your transcripts in hand because you will be manually inputting every single class and grade.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to most DO schools and some MDs. Got interviews at LMU-DCOM and Charles Drew/UCLA
Well I do feel like competition was a good bit tighter this year. Even for new schools like CUSOM and ACOM. I'm not sure how much an earlier app would help...

Wow... just to get an interview from UCLA by itself is pretty impressive
Believe me, I was super shocked to get a secondary and a quick interview right afterwards. That and my AMCAS GPA is much lower too. It would be a dream come true but with a class of 24 people and 150 interviews given out, its going to be tough!

Members don't see this ad :)

Forgive my ignorance, but what schools are LMU and ACOM?

Believe me, I was super shocked to get a secondary and a quick interview right afterwards. That and my AMCAS GPA is much lower too. It would be a dream come true but with a class of 24 people and 150 interviews given out, its going to be tough!

Ucla is only 24 people? Jeez

3b) To update your information, just find your username and ONLY change your information!
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances/Special Consideration

dotdalamb 3.2/3.1/28
kaygeebee 3.28 cGPA/3.14 sGPA/pending MCAT
stickshifthonda 3.41cGPA (not including study abroad)/3.1sGPA/22MCAT (pending retake)

5) Click "Post Reply"

dotdalamb 3.2/3.1/28
volack881 3.33 cGPA/3.00 sGPA/ 3.7 Grad. GPA/ 24
dutchie000 3.4 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending[/QUOTE]

Could use some advice to help me out..

Just got accepted to my UG university for a masters program that would basically continue my work I've been doing in the lab for the past year, so it would be around a 2 year deal. I would have full funding, tuition waiver and a paid GTA spot. I am taking my MCAT in June so obviously I wont know my score till July, which is too late to accept the gradschool spot based on my score.

3.03 cGPA
3.04 sGPA (both due to 2 bad semesters Junior year)
Research experience with 2 publications (1 as primary) <as of right now; more to come before fall>
Shadowing a physician(MD) around 10 hours a week.
Shadowing a DO for one week; also writing me a letter.
Have an opportunity to shadow another DO who would write me a letter if needed.
Some good ECs.

I think I can do well on the MCAT ~30 but will have a more solid idea after my first few FLs. Should I reject the masters program and shoot for acceptance this cycle? Or should I take the grad spot and burn 2 years restating my ability to get good grades?

Just got accepted to my UG university for a masters program that would basically continue my work I've been doing in the lab for the past year, so it would be around a 2 year deal. I would have full funding, tuition waiver and a paid GTA spot. I am taking my MCAT in June so obviously I wont know my score till July, which is too late to accept the gradschool spot based on my score.

3.03 cGPA
Research experience with 2 publications (1 as primary) <as of right now; more to come before fall>
Some good ECs.

I think I can do well on the MCAT ~30 but will have a more solid idea after my first few FLs. Should I reject the masters program and shoot for acceptance this cycle? Or should I take the grad spot and burn 2 years restating my ability to get good grades?
You have a low GPA which it's barely acceptable for medical school. Take the masters to have something to fall back on but also to at least have a graduate GPA to get better chances. Theoretically, you'll lose only one year.

3.03 cGPA
Some good ECs.

If you score over 30 on your MCAT, you should shoot for an acceptance this year. A loss year is a potential loss of $250K of income down the road. I would apply early and broadly to all DOs. Your sgpa and cpga aren't competitive.

What is the timeline on when the absolute latest is that you have to tell DO schools you're gonna go there?

somebody correct me if i'm wrong...

most DO schools have a 2 wk policy or a specific date written on the acceptance letter based on when you received the acceptance letter. There is no "magic date" like 5/15 as in the MD world.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

most DO schools have a 2 wk policy or a specific date written on the acceptance letter based on when you received the acceptance letter. There is no "magic date" like 5/15 as in the MD world.

It depends on when you were accepted. If you were accepted early like before November then you are given till like December. If you are accepted after November then you are usually given a month. If you are accepted late in the cycle then you are given a few weeks. So basically the later you are accepted, the less time you have to pay the deposit.

Hey guys so my pending MCAT will be taken in September. How should I plan my application? I have heard the application isn't really looked at until they receive the MCAT scores. will probably stand at a low-to-mid 3.3 for science and cumulative.

How should I set up my timetable on how I should apply? I already have a draft of a personal statement that I am near done with. Just need a few edits, will be done by early May I think. I need to shadow a DO but I have my ECs letters set up for sure and I have two professors I know I'm asking (need to find one more science professor, plan to contact the professors by end of next week for letters. Maybe even this weekend). I have a lot of stuff prepped when I fill out commonly asked secondaries for the most part.

I'm just not sure on what dates are ideal for me to have this all done since my app won't have an MCAT until probably late September.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5) Click "Post Reply"

doctorcupcake 3.03 cGPA/3.75 sGPA/pending MCAT
dotdalamb 3.2/3.1/28

Last edited:
Does that mean you can withdraw anytime before matriculation if you've accepted multiple offers?

Does that

Yes, you can withdraw from schools at any point in the application process, even before matriculation. Just be cautious and make sure your acceptance deposits at your intended program have gone through and are confirmed before withdrawing from other schools!

Does that mean you can withdraw anytime before matriculation if you've accepted multiple offers?

Does that

Just wanted to say Good Luck to all of the underdawgs out there!! I was a real underdawg with 3 MCAT tries and 3 years of applying....this past cycle I received 5 interviews 3 wait lists and an acceptance...if anyone has any personal
questions feel free to PM me...I've applied 3 years to MD,DO and Caribbean MD. I've been to 10 interviews ( MD and DO).. Just trying to help since I know how torturous this all can be!

Reactions: 1 users
3.7 cGPA
3.3 sGPA

MCAT. 31
6 PS 14 VR 11 BS

Little research, lots of volunteering, shadowed one md

My ps from mcat and sGPA hold down. Physics very weak. I should apply?

3.7 cGPA
3.3 sGPA

MCAT. 31
6 PS 14 VR 11 BS

Little research, lots of volunteering, shadowed one md

My ps from mcat and sGPA hold down. Physics very weak. I should apply?
trololol

ok, if you are serious- you should get interviews just about anywhere. NOT an underdog.

5) Click "Post Reply"

doctorcupcake 3.03 cGPA/3.75 sGPA/pending MCAT
dotdalamb 3.2/3.1/28
westernredcedar 3.4 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending

How is everyone feeling?

Poll to those in the group: Have you taken retakes to get your GPA in the 3.0-3.4 range?

I had an F in Calculus that brought my GPA down, so I retook for an A that brought it back to 3.37, thankfully. One F makes a huge difference...

I hear you! I had an F in Biol 1 of all courses, retook for an A+. Freshman year...

Did you decide to retake the 29 MCAT, or stick with DO?

I went ahead and just retook it. The main schools I'm interested in state that they look at the most recent score as well as the score they get by adding up your highest subsections from multiple takes, so I didn't see any harm. My original break down was PS 8, VR 11, and BS 10. I'm positive I did better on the PS this time around and VR, although the orgo on the BS this time killed me. Fingers crossed in May when I get it back...

The end of the semester is right around the corner and I'm finishing up my last 2 retakes soon. If I get one A and one B (school doesn't do +/- system) I'll have a 3.13 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA. I took the MCAT last summer and got a 23 (8B/10V/5P). Since that amazingly bad physical science score I've retaken chem 1 (got a B), chem 2 (expecting an A), and physics 1 (got an A). I should probably retake the MCAT right? I'm an URM AA.

All my LORs have been turned in to the premed committee and my personal statement and rough draft for last years secondary questions are written. I have about 250 volunteer hours, have been scribing for 4 years, and I give allergy shots and do the testing at a DO's office. She'll write me a LOR as well. I don't think this is the type of publishing med schools are looking for, but I did have a short story about the Bodies Exhibit published in a textbook recently. I'm hoping for an acceptance somewhere on the East Coast!

I would retake that MCAT, personally. I think your GPA is still low, but maybe the URM status will bump it up a magical 0.1. I think most schools the cut off is 3.0? Good luck!

5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA/sGPA / MCAT / AACOMAS Verified/ Interviews/ Acceptances

westernredcedar 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending MCAT
JeBrAs 3.41 cGPA/3.2 sGPA/pending MCAT

5) Click "Post Reply"

beanbag2 ---------------- 3.74 cGPA/ 3.61 sGPA/ 23 MCAT (retake planned in July)
bowser20 ---------------- 3.03 cGPA/3.03 sGPA/pending MCAT
danny89 ----------------- 3.27 cGPA/3.07 sGPA/pending MCAT
docemmetbrown -------- 3.07 cGPA/3.0 sGPA/pending MCAT
doctorcupcake ---------- 3.03 cGPA/3.75 sGPA/pending MCAT
dotdalamb -------------- 3.2/3.1/28
Dr.bonesmccoy --------- 3.20 cGPA/3.0 sGPA/pending MCAT
Dreamstoo -------------- 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending MCAT
DrTurkelton ------------- 3.08 cGPA/3.13 sGPA/31 MCAT (retake planned)
dutchie000 -------------- 3.4 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending
IWillOneDay ------------ 3.4 cGPA/3.2-.3 sGPA/26 MCAT (retake in July after applying)
JeBrAs ------------------ 3.41 cGPA/3.2 sGPA/pending MCAT
justbananas ------------- 3.4 cGPA/3.5 sGPA/ 25 MCAT (retake planned)
kaygeebee --------------- 3.28 cGPA/3.14 sGPA/pending MCAT
medhopeful811 ---------- 3.3 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending MCAT
polylux ------------------ 3.37 cGPA/3.30 sGPA/29 MCAT (retaking on 4/5)
Sean Lee ----------------- 3.5+ cGPA/3.25+ sGPA/pending MCAT
Stephanopolous --------- 3.0cgpa/3.1sgpa/mcat 8/21/14
stickshifthonda ---------- 3.41cGPA (not including study abroad)/3.1sGPA/22MCAT (pending retake)
tweety14 ----------------- 3.21 cGPA/2.99 sGPA/32 MCAT
victoriah ----------------- 3.25 cGPA/3.29 sGPA/pending MCAT
volack881 ---------------- 3.33 cGPA/3.00 sGPA/ 3.7 Grad. GPA/ 24
westernredcedar --------- 3.4 cGPA/3.3 sGPA/pending

Reposted for the sake of alphabetizing and correcting people who didn't read the instructions.

Reactions: 3 users
Just a suggestion on formatting...

5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA | sGPA | MCAT | AACOMAS Verified | Interviews | Acceptances | Special Consideration

• beanbag2 ---------------- c3.74 | s3.61 | 23 MCAT (retake planned in July)
  • bowser20 ---------------- c3.03 | s3.03 | pending MCAT
  • danny89 ----------------- c3.27 | s3.07 | pending MCAT
  • docemmetbrown -------- c3.07 | s3.0 | pending MCAT
  • doctorcupcake ----------- c3.03 | s3.75 | pending MCAT
  • dotdalamb --------------- c3.2 | s3.1 | 28
  • Dr.bonesmccoy --------- c3.20 | s3.0 | pending MCAT
  • Dreamstoo -------------- c3.3 | s3.3 | pending MCAT
  • DrTurkelton ------------- c3.08 | s3.13 | 31 (retake planned)
  • dutchie000 -------------- c3.4 | s3.3 | pending
  • IWillOneDay ------------ c3.4 | s3.2-.3 | 26 (retake in July after applying)
  • JeBrAs ------------------ c3.41 | s3.2 | pending MCAT
  • justbananas ------------- c3.4 | s3.5 | 25 (retake planned)
  • kaygeebee --------------- c3.28 | s3.14 | pending MCAT
  • medhopeful811 ---------- c3.3 | s3.3 | pending MCAT
  • polylux ------------------ c3.37 | s3.30 | 29 (retaking on 4/5)
  • Sean Lee ----------------- c3.5+ | s3.25+ | pending MCAT
  • Stephanopolous --------- c3.0 | s3.1 | mcat (8/21/14)
  • stickshifthonda ---------- c3.41 (not including study abroad) | s3.1 | 22 (pending retake)
  • tweety14 ----------------- c3.21 | s2.99 | 32
  • victoriah ----------------- c3.25 | s3.29 | pending MCAT
  • volack881 ---------------- c3.33 | s3.00 | 3.7 Grad. GPA | 24
  • westernredcedar --------- c3.4 | s3.3 | pending

Reactions: 3 users
How is everyone feeling?

Poll to those in the group: Have you taken retakes to get your GPA in the 3.0-3.4 range?

Standing at a 3.3c/3.3s. I haven't done any retakes and I don't plan to unless I really think its necessary. A lot of the hits on my gpa were due to two DO non science classes and an upper level science course that has nothing to do with pre-medicine and had more to do with computer programming (might retake this class for hopefully a B since its my only science grade that isn't in the A/B range). However, for my pre reqs, I had slightly more As than Bs.

Just a suggestion on formatting...
5) Click "Post Reply"

Member cGPA | sGPA | MCAT | AACOMAS Verified | Interviews | Acceptances | Special Consideration

• beanbag2 ---------------- c3.74 | s3.61 | 23 MCAT (retake planned in July)
  • bowser20 ---------------- c3.03 | s3.03 | pending MCAT
  • danny89 ----------------- c3.27 | s3.07 | pending MCAT
  • docemmetbrown -------- c3.07 | s3.0 | pending MCAT
  • doctorcupcake ----------- c3.03 | s3.75 | pending MCAT
  • dotdalamb --------------- c3.2 | s3.1 | 28
  • Dr.bonesmccoy --------- c3.20 | s3.0 | pending MCAT
  • Dreamstoo -------------- c3.3 | s3.3 | pending MCAT
  • DrTurkelton ------------- c3.08 | s3.13 | 31 (retake planned)
  • dutchie000 -------------- c3.4 | s3.3 | pending
  • IWillOneDay ------------ c3.4 | s3.2-.3 | 26 (retake in July after applying)
  • JeBrAs ------------------ c3.41 | s3.2 | 19 (pending retake)
  • justbananas ------------- c3.4 | s3.5 | 25 (retake planned)
  • kaygeebee --------------- c3.28 | s3.14 | pending MCAT
  • medhopeful811 ---------- c3.3 | s3.3 | pending MCAT
  • polylux ------------------ c3.37 | s3.30 | 29 (retaking on 4/5)
  • Sean Lee ----------------- c3.5+ | s3.25+ | pending MCAT
  • Stephanopolous --------- c3.0 | s3.1 | mcat (8/21/14)
  • stickshifthonda ---------- c3.41 (not including study abroad) | s3.1 | 22 (pending retake)
  • tweety14 ----------------- c3.21 | s2.99 | 32
  • victoriah ----------------- c3.25 | s3.29 | pending MCAT
  • volack881 ---------------- c3.33 | s3.00 | 3.7 Grad. GPA | 24
  • westernredcedar --------- c3.4 | s3.3 | pending

UPDATE!

3.55+ cGPA
3.25+ sGPA
33 MCAT (retook a 26!)

still underdog?

Reactions: 4 users