2014-2015 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
was it a 916 number? i keep anxiously calling back mortgage/comcast promoters
it was a 916.. but I missed that one. So I got called from the 530 area code as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Was there a Facebook group for accepted students? I think I recall someone posting that previously.

Interviewed back in August and was waitlisted; I hope there's still a spot for me..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Was there a Facebook group for accepted students? I think I recall someone posting that previously.
Yep! If you haven't already found it search "UC Davis School of Medicine, Class of 2019 and request it. Or just PM me your email and I'll invite you. Congrats!

Yep! If you haven't already found it search "UC Davis School of Medicine, Class of 2019 and request it. Or just PM me your email and I'll invite you. Congrats!
Thanks for that! Found the group and just asked to join. Hope to meet you there!

*overflows with anxiety*

Reactions: 2 users
I am right there with you. Hopefully, this is just the beginning, and we'll be getting out call soon. :)

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who've been accepted off the waitlist, did you also get an acceptance email in addition to an acceptance call? The reason I'm asking is for some reason the cell phone service at my house has decreased significantly, to the point where my friends have told me they've tried calling me several times with no response. My phone doesn't even ring or tell me I have a missed call. I'm worried that if I do get a call from UCD, I'll miss it and not know I even got it. Should I expect an email if they don't reach me by phone? Slash does anyone have any idea what I should do? The other people living in the house are having the same problem with lack of cell service. Should I send them a message through the message center explaining the situation?

For those of you who've been accepted off the waitlist, did you also get an acceptance email in addition to an acceptance call? The reason I'm asking is for some reason the cell phone service at my house has decreased significantly, to the point where my friends have told me they've tried calling me several times with no response. My phone doesn't even ring or tell me I have a missed call. I'm worried that if I do get a call from UCD, I'll miss it and not know I even got it. Should I expect an email if they don't reach me by phone? Slash does anyone have any idea what I should do? The other people living in the house are having the same problem with lack of cell service. Should I send them a message through the message center explaining the situation?

I think even if you don't have reception and can't receive the call, the call would be sent to voice mail and they can leave you a voice message. You would get the voice message when you have good reception on your phone again. This is what would happen if your phone is off as well.

Last edited:
I think even if you don't have reception and can't receive the call, the call would be sent to voice mail and they can leave you a voice message. You would get the voice message when you have good reception on your phone again. This is what would happen if your phone is off as well.

Yeah thats a good point, will they leave a voicemail of they don't reach us?

Also, @pDeluxe, where will it say in the portal that you're accepted? All mine says is that my secondary is complete and that my interview date was scheduled. Will it change somehow to say I'm accepted?

This is all assuming I'll be lucky enough to get accepted. *gulp*

Also sorry everyone for bumping this thread so much I promise I'll keep quiet until I get the call!

Yeah thats a good point, will they leave a voicemail of they don't reach us?
I didn't receive a voicemail. I got three missed calls and then called back. I kinda remember from the interview that Dr. Sousa mentioned he doesn't like to leave voicemails because he likes to hear how the student reacts. Also, when I spoke to him on the phone he mentioned to keep a lookout for the email from admissions with more information. So, not sure if that comes after he talks to you or automatically.

Also, @pDeluxe, where will it say in the portal that you're accepted? All mine says is that my secondary is complete and that my interview date was scheduled. Will it change somehow to say I'm accepted?
A new tab for "Acceptance Offer" appeared in my applicant portal page.

This is all assuming I'll be lucky enough to get accepted. *gulp*

Also sorry everyone for bumping this thread so much I promise I'll keep quiet until I get the call!
Hopefully that helps! Good luck and I hope you do hear good news soon! Keep your hopes up!

Phone call today off the waitlist! =D Everyone waiting, hang in there! -so excited-

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you accepted off the waitlist, (congrats btw!) did you send any updates to admissions? I know they mentioned they don't accept any, but just asking to be sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you accepted off the waitlist, (congrats btw!) did you send any updates to admissions? I know they mentioned they don't accept any, but just asking to be sure.
No, I didn't send in any updates.

I called admissions today (I never say who I am... but they always sound annoyed) and asked how long people have to decide once granted a waitlist acceptance offer. They said it is currently two weeks. So, hopefully there will be a mini wave in a week or so for more people, if the first wave decide to go to a diff school.

Hey everyone,

I know that as it gets later on in the cycle, all of us still on the waitlist are getting extremely anxious and worried about what we will be doing in the upcoming year. Hopefully this motivational commencement speech will resonate with you and help to provide you with some peace of mind. The speaker talks about the importance of failure and how it contributed to them being able to achieve what was important to them. Although none of us should feel like we have failed or are failures, I know how easy it is for us to get stuck in that mind set especially when we are in this stressful transitional period. Good luck to everyone, and I hope we all get calls soon.

Reactions: 3 users
@pDeluxe, when should we realistically give up hope if we're on the waitlist and still haven't heard back? Do you think there's going to be anymore waitlist movement?

@pDeluxe, when should we realistically give up hope if we're on the waitlist and still haven't heard back? Do you think there's going to be anymore waitlist movement?

I know especially if we have to move across the country for another school if we don't get in and need to realistically start finding housing, etc.

People start looking into housing right about now. However, the bulk of the searching is usually mid June to August I'd say.

Thanks for the prompt response! I'm considering waiting till late-June to sign a lease. Would I be missing out on the better housing options if I wait till then?

My plan B is a CA osteopathic school. I guess it's time to casually start looking for housing there. But hopefully there will be another mini wave of acceptances soon!

Thanks for all your help, @pDeluxe.

However, if you are in the situation of having to move across the country but really really REALLY want to keep holding out for a CA school, I would just begin making arrangements as if I was moving and just cancel/move back if I did get in. The tuition difference alone (public IS vs. private OOS) makes it worth the expense of moving back last minute, unless you get scholarships that reduce the cost of attendance elsewhere. If you don't anticipate having the means to afford a last minute move back, try getting a personal line of credit to cover the cost (I got one for $4k and can pull from it anytime I have unexpected major expenses). It's not ideal, but in the end, I would say it is worth the hassle.

Wait, I thought leases are binding contracts? I didn't know it would be possible to just cancel a lease if we end up changing our plans last minute.

shoot, for a school with supposedly 50% waitlist movement, it is really quiet....

shoot, for a school with supposedly 50% waitlist movement, it is really quiet....
Sigh. I've pretty much given up all hope at this point. It's been real, y'all.

Yeah. I finally started making my plans for the Fall, but its so hard to give up. I wish I would get a call so bad, but everywhere seems to have so little movement.... :(

@pDeluxe : How necessary is it to have a car during 1st and 2nd year?

Depends where you live, but in general, it is not necessary to have a car. Lots of people in our class bike to/from campus, and you can most likely do all your grocery shopping with a bike + basket/backpack. Alternatively, if you live with someone or make friends someone in the class who has a car, you can arrange for any other car-based needs, like shopping once a week or whatever. If you wanna do the some of the further out clinics, you could also just hitch a ride with a fellow student.

That said, having a car makes things easier (as obvious as that sounds). However, you will be asked to DD at least once for a post-quiz celebration.

Speaking of grocery shopping, are there plenty of markets nearby?

I've been dumped, stood up, and cheated on, but nothing compares to the heartbreak that is watching your dream school slip right through your fingers...:(

I've been dumped, stood up, and cheated on, but nothing compares to the heartbreak that is watching your dream school slip right through your fingers...:(
Did you receive a final decision already?

Sorry to bother you all, but I have a question about the secondary as a current applicant. Did any of you not answer this question: "Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee"? I don't have any major red flags in my application, and I would hate to create a red flag where there isn't one. The only thing I can possibly think to discuss is that I withdrew from a class the first semester of my senior year and received a B- in Physical Chemistry. This was due to a health issue and I worked with the Dean of Students to modify my workload so that I could successfully complete the semester.

Thank you in advance!

Anyone get a call recently?

Not me. I am having to make plans for my acceptance now, but I would take UCD in a heartbeat if they would only call me!

Is anyone else thinking of applying to California Northstate? It's a new allopathic school that just opened up near Sac. They're accepting applications for Fall 2015 if you apply through their website.

Is anyone else thinking of applying to California Northstate? It's a new allopathic school that just opened up near Sac. They're accepting applications for Fall 2015 if you apply through their website.

They don't seem to be set up very well - lacking many faculties (there's only 23 right now??), no student support (job application indicates they are still recruiting a lot of various staff) ... etc

I am thinking about it. I was accepted out of state, but I really wanted to stay in California. I am just nervous about going with a new program over one that is established....

No financial aid is concerning as well .....

Yeah all those aspects are concerning to me too...my gameplan is just to apply and see how it is if and when I interview.

How much time does it usually take to find out how much financial aid you are getting?

How much time does it usually take to find out how much financial aid you are getting?

My "MyAwards" finally updated a few days ago with the estimates, etc. If not, check and/or call to see if there are any requirements you need to complete for your financial aid package.

Are there UCD medical students that have commuted from Elk Grove or Davis (and then took the shuttle to the UCDSOM)? If so, how was your experience? By the way, are lectures recorded?

Last edited:
I believe most of the lectures are video recorded. If you haven't yet, get on the facebook page and check out the disorientation manual (yes, you heard that right). It has a lot of good information. The disorientation manual also has some tips for housing. I knew someone who commuted from Davis a few years ago, but I don't know if she drove or took the shuttle.

@pDeluxe: Kinda weird question but does it matter what color your scrubs are? I noticed that most students wore green scrubs at Davis. Thanks for answering our questions! :)

has anyone been pulled from the waitlist since mid May? I just want to know!! I thought UC Davis' waitlist was a good place to be!

I know a couple of people who were accepted off the waitlist this cycle... (perosnally, I'm still waiting for news). Just wanted to let you know that the waitlist is moving... at what pace, that I can't tell you.

Officially got the axe today. Rest in Peace, Dream of Going to UCDSOM.

Also rejected. :( sitting on one more waitlist...