2014-2015 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So... I had a flight from Wisconsin to Utah recently and figured I would work on my secondaries while on the flight. One long nap later... I didn't get to the Vermont secondary. So tonight while working on my secondary I went back to the essay questions that I had hastily copied and pasted from the Vermont secondary into my Word document, including two questions that I supposed were essay questions but were actually just drop down box questions.
Long story short, after writing essays for "Why Vermont" and "How did you hear about us?" I will now get to the REAL essay questions. Hoping to get these finished tonight!

Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if instate students fill out the Application for In-State Status paperwork now? or later if we get accepted?

Does anyone know if instate students fill out the Application for In-State Status paperwork now? or later if we get accepted?

I think it's later! You just have to do it before you matriculate (so after you get accepted).

Has anyone else been small pooled? I think I checked back about a week after submitting my application and the status was "Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended."

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone else been small pooled? I think I checked back about a week after submitting my application and the status was "Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended."
Is that a status you see in the "online applicant center" portal?

Completed 7/18. The small pool status was made available via the OAC portal.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
haha OK that's what I thought but just wanted to make sure. Congrats on getting small pooled!

It's a good question and thanks. Are you IS? I applied to UVM last year and they LOOOOVE people from VT. I didn't get in but I was able to talk to one of the deans afterward on the phone and she was incredibly encouraging and was able to tell me exactly what I needed to work on in terms of improving my app. She made it a point to say that they take a special interest in anyone who is applying as a Vermonter so that's pretty cool!

Complete & small pooled today!!! So excited, Vermont looks amazing.

Last edited:
Wow. I submitted like two weeks ago and still not processed on there. Are you in state?
I submitted before you probably. I am OOS. Don't worry, its still super early you'll be fine! I don't think they necessarily do things in batches as much perhaps they go down a list. So just be patient and think positive. UVM looks spectacular. No one is out until they are out, and no one is in until they are in.

Oh! I totally misread that. I thought you meant you submitted today and were complete/small pooled in the same day. That makes a lot more sense. Good luck!
Apologies. When i said complete, I meant marked complete. As I am sure you know there is a minor discrepancy on SDN when people say submitted vs. complete. No worries though, I am sure your application will be up for review here shortly!

Small pooled and complete today, ahhh!!! Love, love, love UVM :).

I hope you don't mind me asking, but when did you submit your secondary? Congrats by the way :smug:

Thanks :)! And no problem-- I submitted my secondary July 22nd. Good luck!!

Small pooled and complete today, ahhh!!! Love, love, love UVM :).

Do you have to check your portal to know about small-pool status, or do they email you?

Do you have to check your portal to know about small-pool status, or do they email you?
Website. They won't email you until you are invited for an interview (if).

Blah, still

We have received all application materials that you have submitted. Your application is under preliminary review. This review of your file may take 6-8 weeks.

Blah, still

We have received all application materials that you have submitted. Your application is under preliminary review. This review of your file may take 6-8 weeks.

I still have "Your supplemental application has been received. Please note that it may take 6-8 weeks for all materials to be processed" Is yours the status after that?

I still have "Your supplemental application has been received. Please note that it may take 6-8 weeks for all materials to be processed" Is yours the status after that?

I think ours is either the same or very similar in that maybe yours hasn't been read yet. I received my secondary on July 21 and submitted by the 28th.

got this status change earlier today

Once the review of your file is complete your status will be updated.

Please continue to check your status periodically through the Online Applicant Center.

Submitted July 21

Do they send complete emails? Also, do they put almost everyone in the small pool?

Do they send complete emails? Also, do they put almost everyone in the small pool?

I didn't get any emails from them updating my status, I just checked back and it had gone from the initial message to the small pool message. As far as I know, most people go straight from under review to small pooled and there's only a small number who get rejected outright.

Small pooled today! Status message below:

Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months.

Interviews are scheduled between mid-September and mid-March. You will be notified via email if you have been selected to interview.

I'm hyped

Reactions: 3 users
Ugh I need to stop obsessively checking the website to see if I have an II, it's starting to make me a crazy person!

I emailed them asking when I could expect a decision and they replied saying interview invitations will be sent out next week.

Reactions: 9 users
I emailed them asking when I could expect a decision and they replied saying interview invitations will be sent out next week.

Thank you from me and (I imagine) everyone else on this particular thread haha

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know what to do for the speeding question. I had 3 tickets in the past 5 years, but only one of them counted for speeding on my record. Unfortunately, when I applied last year, this logic eluded me so I outright declared all of them. Any advice on what I should do this time around?

I don't know what to do for the speeding question. I had 3 tickets in the past 5 years, but only one of them counted for speeding on my record. Unfortunately, when I applied last year, this logic eluded me so I outright declared all of them. Any advice on what I should do this time around?

You may have already submitted by now but if not my advice would be to declare anything that would show up in a routine background check. The worst thing to do would be to hold something back and then have them find it and outright reject you for not being honest.

Considering they have your last application on file I think it would look suspicious to change your answer this year.

Has anyone had any luck contacting UVM? I've called twice (and left messages) but haven't heard back.

Hmm, I haven't tried calling them recently, but they were quite responsive about two weeks ago...not sure if that helps haha sorry!

Edit: Wrong timeline.