2014-2015 Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M4 but back in the day I went on 8 interviews, sat on 8 waitlists before finally getting into a top 20. Hang in there my friends! Many, many people get their only acceptance off a waitlist.

BTW I am graduating at the top of my class with amazing residency opportunities, so how you get in doesn't matter. =)
Nice shoe-horning there bud. If medicine doesn't work out you should apply at Foot Locker

Members don't see this ad.

Very quiet.

UCLA is still trickling along.

Now does a "trickle" mean slight movement?

Also, as far as you can see, are these acceptances going to people already holding positions elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn Thanks for your prior responses!!!! I know U Hawaii starts in a 2 weeks, do you think there is any probability of waitlist movement with classes starting soon, or should I just forget about it...I did speak with the manager of my current rental (for the school I'm going to now) and do have something worked out, but still wondering on whether I should keep hope for UH..or is it just healthier to move on? Thank you again!!!!

Yes, and both.

If the acceptances are going to people that aren't holding acceptances, that likely means that movement is bound to exponentially slow down no?

I was under the assumption that schools tried to dip into people with current acceptances and save the non-accepted towards the end as safeties?

@gyngyn

Any speculation as to why UCLA hasn't sent out any post-II rejections or even wait-list emails yet, given just how late it is in the cycle?

If the acceptances are going to people that aren't holding acceptances, that likely means that movement is bound to exponentially slow down no?

I was under the assumption that schools tried to dip into people with current acceptances and save the non-accepted towards the end as safeties?
At this point in the cycle, acceptances will go the the top candidate that is still actively on the waitlist without regard to their acceptance elsewhere. It is starting to get late.
@gyngyn

Any speculation as to why UCLA hasn't sent out any post-II rejections or even wait-list emails yet, given just how late it is in the cycle?

This is Dr. Hall's first cycle as admissions dean. Maybe he is playing it ultra-conservatively.

@gyngyn Thanks for your prior responses!!!! I know U Hawaii starts in a 2 weeks, do you think there is any probability of waitlist movement with classes starting soon, or should I just forget about it...I did speak with the manager of my current rental (for the school I'm going to now) and do have something worked out, but still wondering on whether I should keep hope for UH..or is it just healthier to move on? Thank you again!!!!
At this point, it is becoming quite unlikely that there will be more movement at Burns.

At this point in the cycle, acceptances will go the the top candidate that is still actively on the waitlist without regard to their acceptance elsewhere. It is starting to get late.

Thanks so much for your patience with all of us on this thread! When you mean "actively on the waitlist," are you referring to those who are still actively demonstrating their interest?

Thanks so much for your patience with all of us on this thread! When you mean "actively on the waitlist," are you referring to those who are still actively demonstrating their interest?
No, some waitlist candidates get accepted to Harvard and simply fail to withdraw. This is a form of passive withdrawal.
If you have indicated by whatever accepted modality that you are still interested there is no need to continue contacting the office. We have software that allows us to make a notation on the record. Repeated updates can become unhelpful.

Reactions: 1 user
@gyngyn is there any overlap between your school and rutgers-njms? and if so, could i expect movement there anytime soon?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gyngyn could you just call all of our schools on our behalf and recommend they start moving a bit more? Pretty please?

Reactions: 6 users
If you do recognize the validity of such behavior, then why run to quickly label and generalize it as being negative? Expecting people to not proactively communicate in this extremely non-transparent process is ridiculous, especially when their future is at stake in this tremendously costly and depleting process. If anything the way communication is handled by ADCOMs with applicants is more than 2 standard deviations from expected norms. We spend a tremendous amount of time and money on applications, last minute flights, and are often give no real feedback or advising, instead just being shut-down by schools. This is not to say our success isn't our responsibility, but if you were in our shoes try to tell me you wouldn't be feeling similarly to how applicants do or considering attempting the same thing applicants do, especially given how more insanely competitive this process gets every year?

Schools also have all sorts of ways of handling applicant decisions and waitlists that are all-over the place. Communicating with them is the gateway to being informed in most reasonable scenarios, and showing initiative doesn't make a person "impatient". We give ADCOMs months and months to make decisions, one or a few phone calls is hardly a bad thing. If ADCOMs are too busy to handle that, then have someone else who can handle it do so.

I can't feel but feel there is a convenient disconnect between ADCOMs and applicants, which makes the process way easier for ADCOMs, but way harsher and more unforgiving for applicants.

I wish you no harm.
My purpose here is to offer a view from the other side so that you make informed choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 users
Suppose the Admissions dean from XSOM wrote you and said "Dear Monster_Cat" You are #38 on our waitlist of 75."

Would that help?

Dean simply don't know how movement is going to occur, nor when.

Patience is a virtue!

If you do recognize the validity of such behavior, then why run to quickly label and generalize it as being negative? Expecting people to not proactively communicate in this extremely non-transparent process is ridiculous, especially when their future is at stake in this tremendously costly and depleting process. If anything the way communication is handled by ADCOMs with applicants is more than 2 standard deviations from expected norms. We spend a tremendous amount of time and money on applications, last minute flights, and are often give no real feedback or advising, instead just being shut-down by schools. This is not to say our success isn't our responsibility, but if you were in our shoes try to tell me you wouldn't be feeling similarly to how applicants do or considering attempting the same thing applicants do, especially given how more insanely competitive this process gets every year?

Schools also have all sorts of ways of handling applicant decisions and waitlists that are all-over the place. Communicating with them is the gateway to being informed in most reasonable scenarios, and showing initiative doesn't make a person "impatient". We give ADCOMs months and months to make decisions, one or a few phone calls is hardly a bad thing. If ADCOMs are too busy to handle that, then have someone else who can handle it do so.

I can't feel but feel there is a convenient disconnect between ADCOMs and applicants, which makes the process way easier for ADCOMs, but way harsher and more unforgiving for applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Suppose the Admissions dean from XSOM wrote you and said "Dear Monster_Cat" You are #38 on our waitlist of 75."

Would that help?

Patience is a virtue!

Goro, I understand your point and think I've done a decent job being patient this cycle (who knew yoga could be so much fun?) that being said, I have 0 acceptances and I'm on a waitlist in Providence RI and a waitlist in Tucson AZ. I currently live 5 hrs from Tucson and am planning to move there if not accepted anywhere, gave notice at my current job because hiring takes 3 months at least to fill positions where I live... Point being that while I think I'm going to end up in Tucson and not in either med school next year, it would certainly be nice to know whether I'm #2 on Browns waitlist or #200. Moving, changing jobs, etc isn't cheap in your 20s- it'd at least be nice to have some transparency to know if the stress I feel is warranted because there's still a chance I might be moving across the country within the next 27 days... Or not.

I think that everyone in this process has to both plan for 100% rejections and have a Plan B, and also look far enough down the road to figure out what to do if they're in limbo for a year.

Goro, I understand your point and think I've done a decent job being patient this cycle (who knew yoga could be so much fun?) that being said, I have 0 acceptances and I'm on a waitlist in Providence RI and a waitlist in Tucson AZ. I currently live 5 hrs from Tucson and am planning to move there if not accepted anywhere, gave notice at my current job because hiring takes 3 months at least to fill positions where I live... Point being that while I think I'm going to end up in Tucson and not in either med school next year, it would certainly be nice to know whether I'm #2 on Browns waitlist or #200. Moving, changing jobs, etc isn't cheap in your 20s- it'd at least be nice to have some transparency to know if the stress I feel is warranted because there's still a chance I might be moving across the country within the next 27 days... Or not.

I think that everyone in this process has to both plan for 100% rejections and have a Plan B, and also look far enough down the road to figure out what to do if they're in limbo for a year.

I totally agree- my plan b is improve my science gpa, start a new job in Tucson aug 3, etx... My point is that regardless of the planning you put into your plan B, which for me has been extensive, there's a significant level of stress of having to completely shift gears if I find out I got into Brown. Thrilling, amazing, fantastic if I get in, and I'll obviously go. But I do think that if I'm actually not going to get in and Browns aware of that now and let's me know I'm 199 out of 200 on the waitlist, I feel more positive about getting on with my life and getting ready to reapply. On the other hand, if I'm #2, perhaps I would actually start looking into logistics for moving to Providence while still recognizing it might not happen. Sitting in limbo with little to no info does not incline me to prepare to move somewhere that might be absolutely unrealistic from Browns point of view. I also totally understand there's no incentive for med schools to share our standing. It's kind of like getting hazed as a freshman on a sports team- maybe when we grow up and are all on admissions committees, we'll do things differently.

Fingers crossed for your success!

In the worst-case scenario, if you get shut out, it will be important to contact Admissions deans for feedback (not advice) on your rejections.

I totally agree- my plan b is improve my science gpa, start a new job in Tucson aug 3, etx... My point is that regardless of the planning you put into your plan B, which for me has been extensive, there's a significant level of stress of having to completely shift gears if I find out I got into Brown. Thrilling, amazing, fantastic if I get in, and I'll obviously go. But I do think that if I'm actually not going to get in and Browns aware of that now and let's me know I'm 199 out of 200 on the waitlist, I feel more positive about getting on with my life and getting ready to reapply. On the other hand, if I'm #2, perhaps I would actually start looking into logistics for moving to Providence while still recognizing it might not happen. Sitting in limbo with little to no info does not incline me to prepare to move somewhere that might be absolutely unrealistic from Browns point of view. I also totally understand there's no incentive for med schools to share our standing. It's kind of like getting hazed as a freshman on a sports team- maybe when we grow up and are all on admissions committees, we'll do things differently.

I was honest about being on two wait lists at a scribe interview last week and was told that they couldn't hire me because of the possibility that I'd be leaving right after training...so it might be a scramble for a job at the end of July or beginning of August. It would be so nice to get off of a wait list and not have to worry about that, though!

Patience...it's hard to have right now, but no other option!

I was honest about being on two wait lists at a scribe interview last week and was told that they couldn't hire me because of the possibility that I'd be leaving right after training...so it might be a scramble for a job at the end of July or beginning of August. It would be so nice to get off of a wait list and not have to worry about that, though!

There was really no good reason for you to volunteer that information.

There was really no good reason for you to volunteer that information.
Haha sorry, I guess I should've been more clear in my intentions. I was hoping to see if anyone has had a similar experience or if anyone has some advice.

I meant in your interview.
Oooooh gotcha. Yeah...I felt guilty about the possibility that I might need to leave so I thought I should be up front about it right away. The interviewer asked if I had applied to medical school at all and what the results were. Maybe future interviewers won't ask though.

I meant in your interview.
I think carol8990 is probably a better person than most. I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten my job that starts aug 3 if I had disclosed im on 2 waitlists. Being on the other side hiring for my current position, I turned down an applicant because they mentioned they were on a waitlist. Im aware that not disclosing is rather selfish, but I can't afford to not be working if not accepted for however long it would take me to find a new job and go through hiring process.

And that's why I always say, make sure when you all get into med school, give back. I truly feel that it's people like us who have been stuck on waitlists, people who barely squeeze in, or people that have to re apply that understand how BADLY they want this. So make sure you try to get onto the admissions committee and try to be an advocate for those who otherwise wouldn't have a voice, or mentor pre meds in your spare time, or help disadvantaged students if your med school has such a program. This process seems unfair beyond belief, so be a voice and make it heard when you make it to the other side! You can sure as heck bet I won't stay quiet about how I feel regarding this process if someone picks me off the waitlist, and I sure as heck will spend as much time as I can mentoring and giving back to disadvantaged students trying to pursue medicine. Never forget how bad this hurts right now, because when things get tough in medical school, its all of YOU who will be able to hang your hat on experiences that required resolve and perseverance( like being tortured right now on waitlists), and it is you who will thrive.

Reactions: 3 users

I was honest as well about being on the wait-list and was also turned down for a scribe job! Definitely sucks but hopefully it will be for the better and we may get in!

I was honest to a dermatologist who wanted to hire me full time as a medical assistant but didn't because she was afraid that I'd leave after a year, so instead she hired me to fill in for her other medical assistant full time for 3 weeks, then after those 3 weeks ended, she made me per diem so I would come in and work front and back office as a medical assistant when the practice was busy...and the job ended up being taking out the trash at closing time and calling her personal electric company to dispute a $3.45 charge on her bill. Her excuse was "I really like you but I feel you will get MANY interviews and will DEFINITELY get in, so I can't hire you full time because you will leave. I basically did all the scut work that no one else in the office wanted to do..shaving backs...taking out the trash...restocking soaps...Obviously, I ended up not going back lol and later secured a job as a scribe. It was an experience though. So my advice...people that hire you will always do what is in their best interest, and unfortunately in some cases, that means withholding the truth, some even lie. Now, I wouldn't lie because that's not how I roll, but keep it vague, and if you are not asked about something, do not volunteer the information. If you can't avoid it and they ask specifics and insist, then whatever, tell them and if they don't hire you, move on! There's something else out there that either won't care how long you are staying or would fit your situation better. Keep looking! I applied to 40 openings, worked in a nursing home as a dual scribe/medical assistant, a weekend tutor, and a medical transcriptionist all at the same time and had to deal with a lot of uncertainty before I found my gap year position that suited my needs. Don't give up!!

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks so much for the info/advice! Nice to hear what some of you have done in this situation. Congrats on being accepted smooki! :)

@gyngyn thanks for all the time you've spent in updating us! Do you overlap at all with Albany or UMass?
Thanks!
Lots of CA kids go to Albany but I haven't seen any action there lately.
UMass has a lot less overlap...

I have a question... can someone please explain to me why schools do not disclose what your placement is on a waiting list?

Would that help?

Patience is a virtue!

Suppose your mother was in an accident and on life support, the physician tells you, "Dear Goro, there is no point in telling you the odds of success for the procedure your mother is undergoing because we simply aren't certain if it will work or not."

Would that help?

What if they followed that up with, "Patience is a virtue!"

Now how about, "Dear Goro, you are in the upper/middle/lower third of our waitlist pool. In the past few years we have not gone beyond the first third. However, this does not mean it won't happen this year. Thank you for your continued patience."

I think you should leave it up to the applicant to decide whether the information is helpful or not. A little transparency would go a long way, and frankly, it's patronizing to treat applicants as if they just don't understand the situation.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a question... can someone please explain to me why schools do not disclose what your placement is on a waiting list?
Because unranked waitlists are not linear.
The waitlist is used to fill gaps in the depth and breadth of the class if people withdraw.

Reactions: 4 users
Inane arguments won't win you any sympathy. No one put a gun to your head and made you apply to med school.

I'll pull the knife out now:
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Suppose your mother was in an accident and on life support, the physician tells you, "Dear Goro, there is no point in telling you the odds of success for the procedure your mother is undergoing because we simply aren't certain if it will work or not."

Would that help?

Now how about, "Dear Goro, you are in the upper/middle/lower third of our waitlist pool. In the past few years we have not gone beyond the first third. However, this does not mean it won't happen this year. Thank you for your continued patience."

I think you should leave it up to the applicant to decide whether the information is helpful or not. A little transparency would go a long way, and frankly, it's patronizing to treat applicants as if they just don't understand the situation.

Would that help?

Oh my gosh being accepted off a wait list isn't a life or death situation. Just get ready to reapply if you have no acceptances. Chill out and be thankful you wake up every day.

Reactions: 8 users
Any point in sending an update with a B in biochemistry 1? (First summer semester, just completed.) Currently taking biochemistry 2 in second half of summer. Nontraditional student, finished basic prereqs in 2013 (no classes taken since). MCAT last summer. sGPA 3.65 (not counting biochem). Thanks!

Any point in sending an update with a B in biochemistry 1? (First summer semester, just completed.) Currently taking biochemistry 2 in second half of summer. Nontraditional student, finished basic prereqs in 2013 (no classes taken since). MCAT last summer. sGPA 3.65 (not counting biochem). Thanks!

Probably not. Even with an A+ an update with that alone probably wouldn't be worth it.

Would that help?

Lol this is hilarious. I agree with the frustration, but they have the upper hand here since they admit us and honestly most people probably don't care enough about each individual applicant to give you that kind of detailed analysis. It's less work I would assume for them so from their side why not?

@gyngyn , the UCSF and Davis threads seemed to have been pretty quiet the past month. Has there really been that little/no movement in June?

I feel like the schools I contacted more were the ones at which I didn't find any wait list movement for me. However, the ones were I expressed interest once really came through for me.

I feel like the schools I contacted more were the ones at which I didn't find any wait list movement for me. However, the ones were I expressed interest once really came through for me.
When the list is not moving, no amount of contact (welcomed or otherwise) will have an effect, I'm afraid. The CA schools have been very slow this year so far and I'm pretty sure that the one that has moved (albeit slowly) is not likely to be moved by updates.

Regional differences do exist, however.
Wash U has drawn heavily from the waitlist this year.
I do not know whether they are moved by updates/LOI's.

When the list is not moving, no amount of contact (welcomed or otherwise) will have an effect, I'm afraid. The CA schools have been very slow this year so far and I'm pretty sure that the one that has moved (albeit slowly) is not likely to be moved by updates.

Regional differences do exist, however.
Wash U has drawn heavily from the waitlist this year.
Do you think this is it for the UCs? As in they're finished with their waitlisted movement? Thanks