2014-2015 Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it possible for students to be accepted even after an orientation?
You can be accepted after orientation if you are holding no acceptances.
You can not be poached if you have started orientation.

Members don't see this ad.

@gyngyn can you say which california schools, if any, have had movement either this week or last week?

@gyngyn can you say which california schools, if any, have had movement either this week or last week?
I can't recall the last time I saw any movement, but we have let just about everybody go so I don't have a "window into the works" anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
@gyngyn if I'm still on a CA waitlist at this point (with no acceptances)....what does it mean? I'm a back-up in case someone drops out last minute?

I can't recall the last time I saw any movement, but we have let just about everybody go so I don't have a "window into the works" anymore.

thank you anyway! would you say chances are pretty slim at this point for being pulled off of a waitlist? trying to decide whether or not to lose all hope.

thank you anyway! would you say chances are pretty slim at this point for being pulled off of a waitlist? trying to decide whether or not to lose all hope.
As if my answer could produce such powerful results!

Reactions: 1 user
I mean if background checks really are only for accepted candidates and you called certiphi and amcas and they confirmed it....I'd say that an acceptance is coming your way lol. I mean I did hear stories of students being accepted a day before classes...so maybe you will find yourself in that situation!! It's frustrating how elusive this process is but it is what it is. They said background checks are for accepted applicants ONLY?

Yeah that's what Certaphi and AMCAS both said - provided I pass the background checks - which I did 9 business days ago!

By the way did you hear anything? I know you've been waiting! Oh and Eid Mubarak!

Maybe I can shed some light on this - I have a friend who was recently accepted off the waitlist at Einstein. Several weeks prior to that, he had received a Certiphi request out of the blue, and no other school he had been accepted to sends out Certiphi checks. My assumption is that Einstein was getting the background check out of the way in case a spot opened up, since it is so late in the cycle. That way, when a spot did open up and they were able to accept him, they didn't have to wait for the Certiphi request to process to proceed with everything else.

Hope that helps!

Yeah that kinda goes against what Certaphi/AMCAS told me. I'm kinda hoping that your assumption is wrong and that Einstein just waited before notifying him of his acceptance hahah

How do people get out of their leases if they are accepted a day before classes?

Where there's a will there's a way!

Yeah that's what Certaphi and AMCAS both said - provided I pass the background checks - which I did 9 business days ago!

By the way did you hear anything? I know you've been waiting! Oh and Eid Mubarak!

Nope!! Can't do anything but wait to see if my dream school replies while preparing to start DO classes next week!! Eid Mubarak!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Is poaching from other schools considered fair game right up to orientation or do schools stop poaching several days before it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a question, but made a throwaway account for more anonymity:

Had a meeting with the Chair of Admissions, and although the school-in-question does not divulge waitlist positions, he electively said, "You're VERY VERY VERY close -- had this been any other year, you would have been called months ago. For whatever reason, it has been atypically slow this cycle." He indicated that I was one of the next students to go.

Knowing that schools can potentially accept into (and even after, in some cases) orientation, should I let them know that I recently moved close to the school? I used to be over an hour away, but am now a couple of freeway exits down from the campus. So, geographically, I'm fully equipped to get a call during Week 1, if need be. I just recently changed my AMCAS 2015 address, but is this enough? Are they alerted to that change, or would they have to hunt for it? I assume this might make me a more attractive candidate to fill a last-second spot -- someone who wouldn't have a commuting issue...

Poaching... lol. I didn't know this was a thing.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

I've got a question, but made a throwaway account for more anonymity:

Had a meeting with the Chair of Admissions, and although the school-in-question does not divulge waitlist positions, he electively said, "You're VERY VERY VERY close -- had this been any other year, you would have been called months ago. For whatever reason, it has been atypically slow this cycle." He indicated that I was one of the next students to go.

Knowing that schools can potentially accept into (and even after, in some cases) orientation, should I let them know that I recently moved close to the school? I used to be over an hour away, but am now a couple of freeway exits down from the campus. So, geographically, I'm fully equipped to get a call during Week 1, if need be. I just recently changed my AMCAS 2015 address, but is this enough? Are they alerted to that change, or would they have to hunt for it? I assume this might make me a more attractive candidate to fill a last-second spot -- someone who wouldn't have a commuting issue...

I understand the urge to notify them, but it sounds really desperate tbh... maybe the admissions dean tells all WLed applicants they were "very close" to admission but nit quite. I doubt a change of commute means anything to the Dean logistically.

I understand the urge to notify them, but it sounds really desperate tbh... maybe the admissions dean tells all WLed applicants they were "very close" to admission but nit quite. I doubt a change of commute means anything to the Dean logistically.

You'd think it would mean something logistically if someone drops off at the last moment before class begins, and they're looking for a sure thing. Who would YOU rather accept in that situation -- someone from several counties away, or someone right down the street (all other variables being equal)? And I can verify that what he mentioned to me is true, as has been confirmed by several other admissions sources. I suppose I just wanted to know if they are informed of the address change.

You'd think it would mean something logistically if someone drops off at the last moment before class begins, and they're looking for a sure thing. Who would YOU rather accept in that situation -- someone from several counties away, or someone right down the street (all other variables being equal)? And I can verify that what he mentioned to me is true, as has been confirmed by several other admissions sources. I suppose I just wanted to know if they are informed of the address change.

I'd still accept the most qualified candidate and not the one closest geographically. Someone with no other acceptances would probably move across the country to attend med school on a short notice if that chance presents itself. Like all waitlisted CA people who would eat a poop hotdog to come off the waitlist at a UC. But idk what school this is and what the commute is, so my opinion is not very relevant. If you email them to update your address on record, they'll take notice. So your best option is a short, tactful e-mail to admissions alerting them of change of address that doesn't make it seem as if you're desperate to attend.

To me, calling to update the dream school that you moved right down the street & are ready to attend on a short notice, is the equivalent of waking up to your one night stand moving her cats and clothes in to your pad... :joyful:

Last edited:
I'd still accept the most qualified candidate and not the one closest geographically. Someone with no other acceptances would probably move across the country to attend med school on a short notice if that chance presents itself. Like all waitlisted CA people who would eat a poop hotdog to come off the waitlist at a UC. But idk what school this is and what the commute is, so my opinion is not very relevant. If you email them to update your address on record, they'll take notice. So your best option is a short, tactful e-mail to admissions alerting them of change of address that doesn't make it seem as if you're desperate to attend.

To me, calling to update the dream school that you moved right down the street & are ready to attend on a short notice, is the equivalent of waking up to your one night stand moving her cats and clothes in to your pad... :joyful:

*facepalm* The intent and my clarifications are misunderstood, but that you for the advice.

Just wondering I'm on three waitlists and I got the certaphi email for a background check (which I passed) the second week of July. Is it possible for me to get off the waitlist between now and orientation?

Just wondering I'm on three waitlists and I got the certaphi email for a background check (which I passed) the second week of July. Is it possible for me to get off the waitlist between now and orientation?

It's possible up until orientation, but the Certiphi email doesn't mean that it will happen.

@gyngyn this might be a silly question but I am still on the waiting list at my state school but the school Im accepted to starts orientation in 1 week. Would it be inappropriate for me to send them one very short hail mary email saying that my orientation is very close and reiterate my interest in that school? In the hopes that if there's a last minute spot open up, they would review my file before orientation starts?

@gyngyn this might be a silly question but I am still on the waiting list at my state school but the school Im accepted to starts orientation in 1 week. Would it be inappropriate for me to send them one very short hail mary email saying that my orientation is very close and reiterate my interest in that school? In the hopes that if there's a last minute spot open up, they would review my file before orientation starts?

I think this would be inappropriate. By remaining on the waitlist this long, you've already demonstrated interest. Most schools start orientation around the same time, so adcoms know when people are going to be forced off the waitlist. There is very little probability of benefit from doing this.

I assure you, they already know.
I understand the compulsion to do this, but it will neither hurt nor help at this point.

Reactions: 1 users
After a LONG wait list spot, I was FINALLY accepted yesterday! Thank gosh! Good luck to everyone still waiting - I was skeptical but it does happen! :)

Reactions: 23 users
.... Ok by the end of THIS week I'll stop checking my email promise

Good luck to everyone reapplying or starting! I <3ed this support group, wish some of the patient people on this thread were in my real people life

Reactions: 5 users

I was in your shoes last year. It didn't help, but at this point it won't help or hurt you so may as well just do it!