2014-2015 Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anything from ucr, UVM, pennstate, or temple? Thanks in advance
Not today.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup looking like this cycles wrapped up and I'm going for a third. Let's keep this party going folks. Money's for chumps anyways!!

Yup looking like this cycles wrapped up and I'm going for a third. Let's keep this party going folks. Money's for chumps anyways!!

I'm sure you've been asked this before here. But why not give DO a go?

Reactions: 1 user
Woah! Why are we giving up so soon!? There's still time left! unless I'm missing some information that you all know?

Woah! Why are we giving up so soon!? There's still time left! unless I'm missing some information that you all know?
There's definitely time left, but I think people just prefer to keep their hopes down so that they don't get disappointed. I'm not expecting anything either, but I thiink that waitlist movement will likely occur through July.

Well, the last program I was holding out for had their orientation today (it's an MD/MPH program so they start early)- looks like I'm officially finished with this year. Third time's the charm??

I'm going to add some DO schools to the application regimen this next year. Good luck to those still waiting!

Received a letter in the mail today about Dean's List. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to send a copy of it via e-mail as an update(it's been a month since I've updated them)? It's signed by the Dean of a medical school since I'm in the college of medicine. Not sure if that would make any difference.

Not sure if you have seen the FIU thread, but things have not really been moving at all :-/

I read through it. Kind of disappointing considering they normally have significant waitlist movement. :( Maybe something will happen in July?

I'm sure you've been asked this before here. But why not give DO a go?
Oh I'm going to this round! First MD I got submitted months late due to a clerical error on a transcript for one fun CC course I took. Second cycle I didn't apply as smartly as I should have. This time I'm getting in somewhere =]

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm with you. Not losing hope until the bitter end...

I wonder how many applicants actually are waitlisters with 0 acceptances.... since that's an echelon of stress higher than having even a single acceptance.

How sure are you?? :(
I got what appears to be a "form message" yesterday morning. But maybe I am just in the "definitely not" group and telling me that the class is full and no further movement expected is letting me down easy. I am sorry if I was premature in my announcement. For anyone who didn't get the Yale email, good luck to you! Maybe there IS still hope!

I read through it. Kind of disappointing considering they normally have significant waitlist movement. :( Maybe something will happen in July?

Spoke with Dean Jones. They overhauled their admissions process this year; refined their recruiting. It was wildly successful insofar as they've retained most of the candidates. But, that means the wait list movement has been next to nil. There have been less than 10 people pulled, and they have 125 currently confirmed (which is technically over-enrolled by 3). He said they don't anticipate any rush of seat relinquishing, but they DO accept through orientation. We have until August 10th.

Spoke with Dean Jones. They overhauled their admissions process this year; refined their recruiting. It was wildly successful insofar as they've retained most of the candidates. But, that means the wait list movement has been next to nil. There have been less than 10 people pulled, and they have 125 currently confirmed (which is technically over-enrolled by 3). He said they don't anticipate any rush of seat relinquishing, but they DO accept through orientation. We have until August 10th.

Wow. That's a big improvement from the previous year then. Guess cycle number 2 is on its way.

Oh I'm going to this round! First MD I got submitted months late due to a clerical error on a transcript for one fun CC course I took. Second cycle I didn't apply as smartly as I should have. This time I'm getting in somewhere =]
I was skimming through the thread getting more and more depressed and then I got to your optimistic post. Posts like yours motivate me to improve my own attitude and outlook as I see others going through this with smiles on their faces. I wish you the very best and hope you get that phone call / email you've been waiting for! :xf:

Reactions: 5 users
I was skimming through the thread getting more and more depressed and then I got to your optimistic post. Posts like yours motivate me to improve my own attitude and outlook as I see others going through this with smiles on their faces. I wish you the very best and hope you get that phone call / email you've been waiting for! :xf:
Sending good fortune and joy your way as well, @Eugenola2!

Wow, I'm really glad I could have a positive impact on you! It is rough to stay positive all the time, but we gain nothing by doing the opposite so why not. Wishing you the best for that ultra special phone call.

Reactions: 3 users
Will there still be movement this year? I'm on three waitlists but I'm starting to get severely anxious regarding my chances. One of the schools' waitlist hasn't moved since May.

I don't know if other schools will be moving either like Ivy league or other highly ranked medical schools. I need them to have movement so I can be accepted at the schools that I am waitlisted at. But it is so late in the cycle that I don't anticipate any more movement.

I'm feeling super disheartened but I just want to hear it how it is. No fluff but maybe someone can tell me how likely/unlikely medical school in 2015 is for me?

Reactions: 2 users
Will there still be movement this year? I'm on three waitlists but I'm starting to get severely anxious regarding my chances. One of the schools' waitlist hasn't moved since May.

I don't know if other schools will be moving either like Ivy league or other highly ranked medical schools. I need them to have movement so I can be accepted at the schools that I am waitlisted at. But it is so late in the cycle that I don't anticipate any more movement.

I'm feeling super disheartened but I just want to hear it how it is. No fluff but maybe someone can tell me how likely/unlikely medical school in 2015 is for me?

I'm in a similar situation -- except I only have 1 wait list position that would dictate entrance into the Class of 2019. Our list, in particular, has seen less than 10 acceptances this year -- brutal.

The only encouragement I can offer is that there is still about 6-7 weeks left before the start of class, at many schools. This means that, while the movement won't be en masse, there is still an opportunity for continued settling. That being said, movement is hard to predict because it depends on settling at other institutions, poaching mechanisms, your value to the committee members, and the personal preferences of current seat holders.

Try to be patient, work on a contingency plan, and hope for the best.

:happy:

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation -- except I only have 1 wait list position that would dictate entrance into the Class of 2019. Our list, in particular, has seen less than 10 acceptances this year -- brutal.

The only encouragement I can offer is that there is still about 6-7 weeks left before the start of class, at many schools. This means that, while the movement won't be en masse, there is still an opportunity for continued settling. That being said, movement is hard to predict because it depends on settling at other institutions, poaching mechanisms, your value to the committee members, and the personal preferences of current seat holders.

Try to be patient, work on a contingency plan, and hope for the best.

:happy:

@gyngyn just wondering your opinion on this post/my post. Sorry to be a bother!

@gyngyn just wondering your opinion on this post/my post. Sorry to be a bother!
No one can say how much more waitlist movement is likely.
As long as any movement has started at a particular school though, there remains a chance that it will continue.
I am on the other end of this process and I can assure you that I come in every day wondering what to expect just like you.

Does anybody know how long the newly accepted people are given to make up their minds? Does their time frame get shorter later on in the cycle? Thank you :)

Does anybody know how long the newly accepted people are given to make up their minds? Does their time frame get shorter later on in the cycle? Thank you :)
Early on, two weeks is common. Now you will be given 5 business days. Around a month before orientation it goes down to two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
This may sound like a stupid question, but is there a time of the day when calls to accepted applicants are made?

This may sound like a stupid question, but is there a time of the day when calls to accepted applicants are made?
Some people take their work home, but generally it's during business hours.
UCI sometimes calls on the weekend...

Nice!

Last edited:
So little waitlist movement at many schools this cycle :/ Still early, but anyone want to practice interviews for the next cycle together? I'm an optimist, but it looks like a good time to start addressing my personal weakest link...

What do you all think?

As a 31 mcat 3.8 CA resident ORM what would better my application more? A new mcat score (I've been studying for it), A special masters program, or perhaps both to be safe? I want to apply a third time and knock this out of the water :)

Note: I have extensive volunteer work in a hospital and research experience. I'm always down for more though

After two years of waitlists I'm left with this feeling that I'm right on the bubble, and I just need a little extra push,
just can't decide where my time would be best spent.

Thanks!
Don't do an SMP. Your GPA is great. If you truly feel you can improve your mcat score and your practice test scores back this up, it would probably be worthwhile to retake. Otherwise maybe try to get involved in another activity that isn't cookie cutter that will help distinguish you from the hoards of 3.8/31 applicants.

What do you all think?

As a 31 mcat 3.8 CA resident ORM what would better my application more? A new mcat score (I've been studying for it), A special masters program, or perhaps both to be safe? I want to apply a third time and knock this out of the water :)

Note: I have extensive volunteer work in a hospital and research experience. I'm always down for more though

After two years of waitlists I'm left with this feeling that I'm right on the bubble, and I just need a little extra push,
just can't decide where my time would be best spent.

Thanks!
probably a better list of schools you're applying to, and/or interviewing abilities. head over to WAMC

You've been quiet lately @gyngyn ? :( That's not a good sign. No movement anywhere the past few days?

I think the movements come in waves because of the domino effect and the few days the new acceptees have to make a decision or withdraw from another school.

Is your intuition telling you that this halt in movement is temporary or more like a permanent sign?
It has been almost two months since traffic day.
With a few regional exceptions, there has been much less movement than expected for this point in the cycle.
There will continue to be a smattering of acceptances, especially at schools that have already reached their target class size. The ones that have taken nobody from the waitlist must still be over-enrolled.

With a few regional exceptions, there has been much less movement than expected for this point in the cycle.
There will continue to be a smattering of acceptances, especially at schools that have already reached their target class size. The ones that have taken nobody from the waitlist must still be over-enrolled.

Is the target class size a number set in stone or can schools continue to fiddle with that magic number up until classes start?

Is the target class size a number set in stone or can schools continue to fiddle with that magic number up until classes start?
The LCME has approved the class at a certain size. They will forgive honest errors as long as we come up with a plan to accommodate the needs of a larger class. Smaller classes don't happen because tuition is usually the only source of discretionary spending for the Dean.

The LCME has approved the class at a certain size. They will forgive honest errors as long as we come up with a plan to accommodate the needs of a larger class. Smaller classes don't happen because tuition is usually the only source of discretionary spending for the Dean.

Thanks for all the help gyngyn!

I'm willing to pay double tuition if I can get an acceptance lol......:thinking::whistle:

Apologies ahead of time if you aren't allowed to answer this question but has UCI moved their waitlist at all after they finished their "primary acceptances" you mentioned a couple weeks back? Thanks!

Apologies ahead of time if you aren't allowed to answer this question but has UCI moved their waitlist at all after they finished their "primary acceptances" you mentioned a couple weeks back? Thanks!
Yes, but it appears that further waitlist movement will be predicated upon the outcomes of their special programs students.

Yes, but it appears that further waitlist movement will be predicated upon the outcomes of their special programs students.
Oh thanks for the info! I thought they would have had decided the outcomes of those students by now since the UCs have finished their classes I think?