2014 Match Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gcc322

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since today is the first day to officially start ranking programs on the nrmp's website and my mind keeps playing tricks on me, I figured I'd start a thread to see everyone else's thought process.

1. UPMC - seemed like the best all around program where I interviewed. All aspects of the program seemed pretty awesome. The only drawbacks I saw: Pittsburgh wasn't the greatest city, all of this years CA-3's are doing fellowships (wasn't sure if this was actually a negative or not), multiple sites, and maybe some transition with the current PD likely moving to chair.
2. U Kentucky - probably my favorite visit. Great PD. Cool city. I was blown away by their hospital and their didactics. Some negatives: early morning lectures, ICU rotations didn't seem as beneficial as other places, and their regional seemed like it was dependent on two new attendings plus a couple that are returning after fellowship.
3. Ohio State - Good all around program. Residents seemed very pleased. Nice city. I was unsure about their didactic structure and the obsession with a mediocre football team.

I'm going to U Michigan next week and I'm looking forward to visiting. Overall, I'd be happy at any of these programs. I might try to visit Pittsburgh and Lexington again before the final list is due to get a better feel for the cities.

What's going on with the rest of you guys? It's been pretty quiet around here concerning the 2013-2014 cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do have a question that is relevant though, I'm on the fence between two programs.

Program A: Excellent location, around friends and family, somewhere I've wanted to move back to since I moved many years ago. Program itself isn't that great, no emphasis on research and on the higher end as far as work hours. I rotated here and enjoyed my time, but after interviewing at other places I definitely felt it wasn't as prestigious and didn't offer some of what other programs did.

Program B: Entirely different area of the country, but I felt the program was outstanding. Loved the faculty and residents and it carries some significant name value.

I'm having trouble deciding which one to put as my #1. As a program I think B would make me a better anesthesiologist, but I'd probably be more motivated to study at Program A since I hate being away from family and friends. Plus A gives me network connections in the area I'd love to live full time.

Basically, how much preference would you guys give to location vs. prestige. At one place I know I'll be working much harder than the other, but at the same time I'll have a lot more social support which matters to me.

BTW, as I'm typing this my heart is answering my question and telling me to put A above B, but I'd love to get your thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user
It ultimately depends on how prestigious "B" is. I'm assuming your goal is to eventually end up back in the location where program "A" is. If program B, is prestigious, that probably means that if you do well enough, then the PD or other faculty could make calls to future bosses in town A. Again, I'd choose program A, but only you know how much better program B is than program A

Sorry guys, didn't intend to offend anyone by asking to reveal their preliminary rank lists and/or thoughts on where they're considering. I remember last year there was a 13 or 14 page thread with discussion about one program compared to another. There hasn't been much of that this year..thus, my desire to start this thread. Further, it's an anonymous internet forum. If my list sways someone to rank a program higher, then he/she should spend more time researching said program and their own wants.

Ronin - For me, the deciding factor is where I want to live. It really doesn't matter how great the program is, if I'm unhappy outside the hospital - I don't think I'll be a good resident inside the hospital. It seems like the majority of programs are pretty similar in terms of the opportunities they present. Location is much more important to me.

Sorry guys, didn't intend to offend anyone by asking to reveal their preliminary rank lists and/or thoughts on where they're considering. I remember last year there was a 13 or 14 page thread with discussion about one program compared to another. There hasn't been much of that this year..thus, my desire to start this thread. Further, it's an anonymous internet forum. If my list sways someone to rank a program higher, then he/she should spend more time researching said program and their own wants.

Ronin - For me, the deciding factor is where I want to live. It really doesn't matter how great the program is, if I'm unhappy outside the hospital - I don't think I'll be a good resident inside the hospital. It seems like the majority of programs are pretty similar in terms of the opportunities they present. Location is much more important to me.
I agree about location. As a matter of fact, when I thought about programs to apply to, I picked the areas where I wanted to live and just applied to all the programs within those areas. As a result, when creating my ROL, location isn't really an issue. Also, I didn't apply to any of the programs you have questions about.

Yeah I remember the thread from last year, and I certainly read it over a couple of times and there was some great info there. But now that I'm the one matching this year it seems odd to start talking about how great xyz is right before rank lists are due...

Ronin - Sounds like either choice can still get you to eventually work in your ideal location.

I think you should follow your heart. After all, it sounds like you've wanted to return to area A for years. I'm sure you will get good training at program A, prestige (or lack there of) aside. And since it is in your ideal location to live, just make sure it has a good local reputation for putting out great residents! If grads who really want to work there aren't getting those jobs, then you should think twice.

I think you have to weigh how comfortable you will feel forming a new network/social support system where program B is. I'm sure the program will go to bat for you and connect you to folks in area A if you're a good residents. But since you're talking about research and name value, it sounds like you might be thinking fellowship... so that's an extra year you would be away, right? Are you willing to be in a different area of the country for 5 years? If you pick program B, make sure you're going for the right reasons and you are ready to actively build a new support system.

IMHO, I believe you get out what you put in. I'd rather be a happy resident in a good program than a miserable resident in a great program.
Being single vs having a significant other is also a biggie. It's easier to be away from home if you're with a significant other (if they're up for following you there...)

I'm honestly not paranoid enough to think it will make a difference whether we post this or not. We have all interviewed and each applicant is looking for something different. Hopefully we can have a healthy discussion, if not I'll have to read last year's thread. It would be nice to have feedback from residents and even attendings.

Anyhow, I'll follow the OP and jump right in :

1) NYU. I'd like to live in NYC and it's a well-rounded program.
2)Penn. Loved it, amazing program.
3)BIDMC. Ranking it "only" third because Boston may not be ideal for me.
4)University of Miami. Location and very strong clinical focus.
5)Mount Sinai. Good reputation, NYC location.
6)Albert Einstein. Same as above with less name "prestige"
7)GWU. Living in DC sounds great, resident-friendly program.
8)UF. Overall an outstanding program with really nice hours. I am just not sold on Gainesville.
9) to whatever...well hopefully it doesn't come down to those :D

I don't think anybody was offended, but people are always going to want what other people want and that can cause problems. That thread you're talking about last year started off after all the ROL were due so I'd bet we see a lot more activity once that happens.

There was a thread where people would ask about programs and posters would rank them based on strength and prestige. We could always do that, as it wouldn't cause any competitive issues I think.

Thanks for all the advice about the programs btw. I think a big problem is that when interviewing you're not out long enough to get homesick and you forget how unpleasant it can be to be on your own (for me at least). You sometimes have to call back on experiences from before to realize if it's the right fit or not.

How would you guys rank the following programs:

Maimonides
Rutger-robertwood
Rutger-NJMS
st. josephs(Nj
cooper hospital (nj)
Temple
NYMC(westchester)
Suny downstate
Albany
UConn
St lukes roosevelt.

Would love to hear your opinions. Thanks

On the topic of ranking (so I think I'm okay posting in here), a few questions some of you might know the answers to --

1) We are allowed to rank 20 "unique programs" for our initial NRMP fee -- am I correct in assuming that means that if a program has advanced and categorical spots, ranking both counts as 2 of the 20?

2) Assuming that most places rank all candidates for both advanced and categorical positions using the same master list, is there a great advantage to ranking both types of position? I guess I see it as more of an advantage in programs that are like 50/5o rather than ones with only 1 or 2 spots of one type.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the topic of ranking (so I think I'm okay posting in here), a few questions some of you might know the answers to --

1) We are allowed to rank 20 "unique programs" for our initial NRMP fee -- am I correct in assuming that means that if a program has advanced and categorical spots, ranking both counts as 2 of the 20?

2) Assuming that most places rank all candidates for both advanced and categorical positions using the same master list, is there a great advantage to ranking both types of position? I guess I see it as more of an advantage in programs that are like 50/5o rather than ones with only 1 or 2 spots of one type.

1) I submitted my certified ROL yesterday (subject to change later) and yes, advanced and categorical positions are two distinct positions. So, ranking both counts as two unique spots.

2) I think the advantage decreases if there is only 1/2 spots of one type of position. However, I really like some programs and I want to ensure that I match, so ranking both categorical and advanced positions increases the chances that I match even though the benefit will be smaller in those programs with only 1/2 spots of one type.

1) I submitted my certified ROL yesterday (subject to change later) and yes, advanced and categorical positions are two distinct positions. So, ranking both counts as two unique spots.

2) I think the advantage decreases if there is only 1/2 spots of one type of position. However, I really like some programs and I want to ensure that I match, so ranking both categorical and advanced positions increases the chances that I match even though the benefit will be smaller in those programs with only 1/2 spots of one type.

Thanks. Confirmed what I was thinking :)

How would you guys rank the following programs:

Maimonides
Rutger-robertwood
Rutger-NJMS
st. josephs(Nj
cooper hospital (nj)
Temple
NYMC(westchester)
Suny downstate
Albany
UConn
St lukes roosevelt.

Would love to hear your opinions. Thanks

For fun, not familiar with all of these but here goes:

UCONN
SLR

ALBaNY
TEMple
DOWNSTATE
RObERtWOoD
MAImO

does anyone have opinions on Georgetown? got a good vibe from the interview...

Last edited:
I'm interested in NYC area programs. Is someone willing to rank the NYC programs for me based on interview/rotation experience?

Robert wood johnson vs rutgers-njms? Im more inclined to rank rwj higher

I was impressed by rwj, I havent gone to NJMS yet but I heard they are both on a similar level.

How did people feel about Jefferson's program?

There was a thread where people would ask about programs and posters would rank them based on strength and prestige. We could always do that, as it wouldn't cause any competitive issues I think.

Would love peoples opinions on the following programs:

Northshore-LIJ
UMass - Worcester
Maimo
Albany

I've been very impressed with all of the programs and would have a hard time putting them in any order! I hope for a fellowship in the future, so am trying to keep competitiveness in mind as well as my personal feel for the programs.

Thanks!!

Here's my rank list (all categorical):

Top Tier (in no particular order):

Duke
University of Alabama Birmingham
UPMC University of Pittsburgh
UT - Southwestern
Wake Forest University

Washington University
University of Virginia

Cleveland Clinic Foundation Program
University of Washington
Middle Tier (in no particular order):
UTHSCSA
Texas A&M Scott and White
University of Iowa
Penn State Hershey
UT - Knoxville

My Criteria for ranking (in order of importance):
1) Excellent clinical experience
2) My family must be happy there (wife and two kids)
3) Excellent research environment

I really enjoyed visiting every program I interviewed at, and am just incredibly humbled to have so many awesome choices.

Duke
UT - Southwestern
Wake Forest University

Washington University
University of Virginia

University of Washington
UTHSCSA
University of Iowa
Penn State Hershey
UT - Knoxville

I really enjoyed visiting every program I interviewed at, and am just incredibly humbled to have so many awesome choices.
These programs are all over the place geographically. Does your wife work or do you want to live in a place where you can support a family of four on a residents salary?

Duke
UT - Southwestern
Wake Forest University

Washington University
University of Virginia

University of Washington
UTHSCSA
University of Iowa
Penn State Hershey
UT - Knoxville

Of your top tier, the clinical experience is pretty much great at all of those places. I'm assuming your second criteria might have made a difference but for your last criteria did you think WashU > Duke > UW?

Last edited:
I was impressed by rwj, I havent gone to NJMS yet but I heard they are both on a similar level.

How did people feel about Jefferson's program?

Jefferson is probably one of the better ones if you are looking to stay in Philadelphia. Penn residents work REALLY hard but at least it is Penn. Temple you will work really hard as well and they do not have a good boards pass rate from what I have heard from the residents; many have said that you will either pass your boards and not be so good clinically or vice versa. Drexel has been on probation before and another applicant told me they were told that their boards pass rate was ~40%.

My tentative list - with possible drastic change to west coast...It's gonna be an exciting match day.

1. UCSF
2. MGH
3. NYU
4. Columbia
5. Penn
6. BIDMC
7. Mt Sinai
8. UW
9. Northwestern
10. Cornell
11. Emory
12. Yale

For my last criterion, I'd say WashU then Duke, then UAB, UPMC, and UW very close (with a slight edge to UW and UAB depending on research interests).

1) NYU
2) Sinai
3) Cornell
4) Washu
5) UWash
6) Yale
7) UAB
8) UMich
9) Montifiore
10) Cleveland Clinic
11) Virginia Mason

Primarily trying to stay in NYC although I really liked WashU and UWash so I might move those up but not sure. Thinking of CC fellowship with possibly a CT one after. Want to stay in Academics.

1) NYU
2) Sinai
3) Cornell
4) Washu
5) UWash
6) Yale
7) UAB
8) UMich
9) Montifiore
10) Cleveland Clinic
11) Virginia Mason

Primarily trying to stay in NYC although I really liked WashU and UWash so I might move those up but not sure. Thinking of CC fellowship with possibly a CT one after. Want to stay in Academics.
Are you ED or Anes?

1) NYU
2) Sinai
3) Cornell
4) Washu
5) UWash
6) Yale
7) UAB
8) UMich
9) Montifiore
10) Cleveland Clinic
11) Virginia Mason

If you're thinking CC/cardiac duo I would move Wash U up.

considering peds

UW
UMich
UPMC
NW
Baylor
UAB
Wake
UTH
USC
VCU
Cinci
MUSC
UTMB
Maryland

i liked cinci, and it's great for peds. but the small size made me a little more wary. not sure about uth and baylor if they move up.

So the trend seems to be that NYU is being ranked really highly by everyone. Was there something besides just the location and good clinical training that y'all liked?

The interview day was really laid back and they made you spend some time in the ORs, which I usually find a waste of time but I really liked the residents so the atmosphere was what sold me.

1) NYU
2) Sinai
3) Cornell
4) Washu
5) UWash
6) Yale
7) UAB
8) UMich
9) Montifiore
10) Cleveland Clinic
11) Virginia Mason

If you wanna do academics, wouldn't Cornell be better? I thought Sinai didn't have too much research?

So the trend seems to be that NYU is being ranked really highly by everyone. Was there something besides just the location and good clinical training that y'all liked?

It does seem like that's the trend. Good combination of big name program, location, case mix, and resident-friendly experience.

Agreed that the time in the OR was key, the residents seemed among the happiest I've seen, and also seemed ready to handle anything. They have a pretty great setup. In a 10 block stretch, they have a university hospital, big public hospital with awesome trauma/critical care, and VA hospital. The only place that came close to offering this sort of breadth was Emory (but spread out throughout Atlanta, rather than a centralized location).

They seemed to be ideal size (~15 a year) big enough to be social, but small enough so that it's not impersonal. I also get the impression that the program watches out for it's residents. So...yeah, I think the program used to fly under the radar, but doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

After interviewing at the four big programs in NYC, my impression was the same. NYU just seems to have a perfect blend of clinical training (in a supervised environment at Tisch and then with a great deal of autonomy at Bellevue) with a resident-friendly lifestyle (typically out by 4pm) and a program director and administration that is focused on really teaching residents (strong didactics and simulation). Not particularly stellar in any one aspect of anesthesiology, but no glaring deficiencies either. The residents loved their program and genuinely seemed happy, more so than the residents I came across at the other NYC programs.

Hi all. Would you help me rank these programs in terms of reputation/prestige/training. I have my own preferences in terms of location and fit, but I'm interested to know how reputable these programs are (maybe in tiers?)

UWash
Rochester
Tufts
UAB
Loyola
Rush
RWJ
UT Houston
Utah
Case Western
CCF
UofArizona
Harbor-UCLA

Thanks for your feedback

To me UW stands out on your list -- it's a big program, but an excellent one. I can also vouch for the program at Rochester, they've got a pretty innovative split curriculum (ex: peds wards, then peds anesthesia...neurology ward, then neuroanesthesia) -- the city of Rochester isn't for everyone, but the program is certainly worth a look.

NS-LIJ vs Maimo vs NYMC?

interested in staying in NY but want a fellowship

Would appreciate feedback on my list as well. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to provide a thoughtful opinion. Location doesn't matter to me, I'm simply looking for the absolute best program I can get into (reputation, academic center, full spectrum of complexity, etc.).

WashU
UCLA
NYU
UC Davis
Loma Linda
Harbor-UCLA

What are people's thoughts on the different Cali programs outside of the big 3 (not including Stanford, UCSF, UCLA)?

Rank the following: UCSD, UCD, UCI, LLU, Cedars, USC, Harbor

considering peds

UW
UMich
UPMC
NW
Baylor
UAB
Wake
UTH
USC
VCU
Cinci
MUSC
UTMB
Maryland

i liked cinci, and it's great for peds. but the small size made me a little more wary. not sure about uth and baylor if they move up.

I got a really good impression at Cincinnati during my interview. Heard it's really great for peds - I mean, it's Cincinnati Children's! They have more money than they know what to do with, and they were constructing a new building when I was there. The Cinci residents said they don't do night float as interns, which is required of all the other interns. My friend who is a CRNA there says the Chair really takes care of his residents; his wife, also an anesthesiologist, makes the schedule and the residents get the best cases before the CRNAs are assigned. The SRNAs often do the residents' preops after the first cases which facilitates room turn over. And it's one of the handful of programs I saw where as a CA-1, you're doing cool ass cases, not just the basic gen surg/ortho/gyn rooms. It sounds like the Chair has recruited some faculty from MGH or something, the residents had nothing but great things to say about all their faculty