2014 Match Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would love peoples opinions on ranking the following:

Northshore-LIJ
UMass - Worcester
Maimo
Albany

I've been very impressed with all of the programs and would have a hard time putting them in any order! I hope for a fellowship in the future, so am trying to keep competitiveness in mind as well as my personal feel for the programs and clinical experience.

Thanks!!

Albany >> Maimo/NS-LIJ/U Mass

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really torn also, and I'd love people's opinions on where I'm wrong/crazy/blowing things out of proportion.

The two things I'm looking for most in a program are diversity of practice approach (to learn all the drugs/techniques with the freedom to practice using them) and progressive responsibility (have to be able to stand on my own by the end). Academically oriented and near family in Boston/SF Bay area a plus. I might be interested in cardiac and/or critical care fellowships down the road.

I'm pretty comfortable with my #4 Duke and #5 Penn, but my #s 1-3 are so close that I could easily rearrange them however. Every one of them has great and merely good attendings, and good resident camaraderie. Thoughts on strengths/weaknesses/ordering is very much appreciated. I hope I provided people looking at these schools with good information as well!

My top five programs, in rough current order:

1. Brigham
Pros: A friendly Harvard. Strong community, very supportive. Pretty strong cardiac, ok CC, reasonably strong in all areas (though no liver txplants). Dr. Lekowsky is relatively new, but has made big changes and is very supportive of the residents. Massive revamping of program due to recently-lifted probation, including protected didactics time, but long-term fallout not yet clear. Nicest facilities (though building arrangement strung along Francis St. is annoying), particularly the cardiac area. In-house intern year, possibility of transferring to med-anesthesia program if it's up in time. Pre-op clinic well-developed compared to many institutions.
Cons: Resident told me that several years ago, about 1/4 of the senior class failed boards. No CRNAs, for all the good/bad that entails. To make up for no CRNAs and shrinking class size, went on a large hiring spree recently of their own graduates; concern is a too-inbred, homogenous approach/education (there's a 'Brigham way'). New attendings have a reputation of being clingy, and not letting residents grow to independence as well. Less academically-oriented, less cool (though commensurately cheaper) area of Boston. Command-line ordering system. Categorical internship is a hard year with a lot of medicine (though probably excellent training given Brigham's IM rep). Developing it's regional program (though strong in pain). Department chair is something of a space cadet, much more interested in research and he and some attendings are 'passive' and reportedly not strong advocates for the department/residents. Splits catchment basin with many other hospitals, though status as quaternary care center helps. Unionized nurses, which seems to be a problem at the NYC programs at least.

2. Stanford
Pros: One of my first thoughts after was 'the complete package'. Friendly program with lots of early independence and diverse practice, and one of the foundational programs in cardiac surgery/anesthesia. Great integrated med/surg ICU model. They claim their acuity/case mix index is highest in nation. Drs. Pearl and Macario and the rest of the administration are very friendly and supportive, receptive to my research ideas. Connected with undergrad/grad schools/tech industry has the potential for interesting collaborations. Weather a big plus for my SO. Has a med-anesthesia track and strong research track.
Cons: SO and I would love to live in a city, and south Bay area is like a huge suburb with city-like cost, fewer job prospects than a major city, and the possibility of having to own two cars and commute in opposite directions. Not as near nuclear family as Boston programs, which might be a drag intern/CA-1 years. New hospital of which I'd see all the traffic/construction and none of the benefit. Few CRNAs, for all the good/bad. Few categorical spots in-house, loose association with SCVMC. Developing its regional program.

3. MGH
Pros: Man's Greatest Hospital. Most academically oriented faculty and residents, huge roster of top-flight field-leading research and caseload (eg neurosurg under MRI guidance). Probably more diverse practice than Brigham (but there's still an 'MGH way'). Lunder building has a bunch of nice new ORs. Strong didactics. Dr. Baker is a fantastic PD, strongly resident oriented and an excellent educator. Dr. Charnin is a slightly odd duck, but incredibly helpful/supportive. Reputation as 'best residency', fwiw. Best CC training in Boston, if not the country. Army of CRNAs, for all the good/bad that entails. Ranking system to request rooms several days in advance. Incredible history, amazing to be a part of it. Program has made a substantial effort to reach out pre- and post-interview.
Cons: More of a workhorse/'deal with it' program by reputation. Besides Lunder, less nice facilities. Semi-integrated intern year at NWH is easier but far from campus. Staggered start could screw you over for fellowships down the road, though less likely now. Walked in hoping to be blown away, expectations were disappointed by merely really liking it. Developing its regional program. Wasn't a huge fan of the department chair after meeting her briefly. Splits catchment basin with many other hospitals, though status as quaternary care center helps. Malignant cardiac surgeons make for an unpleasant experience, reportedly. Recent large expansion of CRNA staff to deal with quality of life complaints by residents has caused friction internally, some feel CRNAs have been rammed down their throat.

4. Duke
Pros: Loved the program organization and philosophy. Intentionally small class sizes plus mostly owning a huge catchment basin means incredible education opportunities. Lots of CRNA's, for all the good/bad that entails. Excellent cardiac and regional, and very good critical care training. Dirt cheap cost of living means living large on a budget. Very pretty facilities. Incredibly kind and supportive staff. Has made the biggest effort to reach out pre- and post-interview of any program (they're clearly a top-tier institution struggling with attracting candidates due to location).
Cons: Sort of the anti-city, though space and low cost of living help offset this. Fewest job opps for my SO. State politics disastrous. Farther from family than my other top choices.

5. Penn
Pros: Dr. Fleisher and Dr. Gaiser kind of make the program- incredibly kind, supportive people with extensive connections. Excellent cardiac and critical care teaching. Lots of independence and diversity of practice. New-ish surgi-center across the street and new cardiac rooms. Integrated TY year, mostly at a nearby affiliate but well-integrated into department. Moonlighting policy means significant bonus income available. Philly is a pretty decent city, and very cheap for what you're getting. Building up its research arm which benefits from Penn's research generally, good research track available, academic orientation means intense caseload of interesting/insane cases (all the TAVIs you want, for example). Lots of excellent young faculty, often hired from within (similar pros/cons as for Brigham).
Cons: Old-school hard workhorse program (though monlighting pay eases the pain) combined with few CRNAs (all the good/bad, etc.) means a non-trivial low-acuity/low-yield case load. No pre-op clinic, residents hand-write short pre-ops from surgeon's outpt notes. Lots of stodgier old attendings. Developing its regional program. Resident told me OR management is not good. You never quite know when you'll get out in the afternoon.

Sorry for the wall of text. Your thoughts and opinions are very valuable, thanks!

Anyone remember MGH saying they paid moonlighting hours if you stayed after a certain time (4pm or something)? Is that correct? Minor point, but my notes are lacking. Thanks!

Anyone remember MGH saying they paid moonlighting hours if you stayed after a certain time (4pm or something)? Is that correct? Minor point, but my notes are lacking. Thanks!

That's true of Penn, I don't remember that being true of MGH.

Don't worry all of us are in some sort of situation similar to yours. For me it is great programs in boston (with horrible winters) vs. some california programs my favorite locations. Figure out your priorities then just stick to your guns. I was just bringing up that I've heard U.Mich is considered a great place to train and that Ann Arbor isn't half bad besides the freezing winters.

I've heard that UMich and WUSTL have recruited a lot of faculty and become very education-oriented, and they (esp WUSTL) might have the best training offered in the country at the moment.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That's true of Penn, I don't remember that being true of MGH.

I've heard that UMich and WUSTL have recruited a lot of faculty and become very education-oriented, and they (esp WUSTL) might have the best training offered in the country at the moment.

They did do a good job on letting everyone know that they each had an issue of Anesthesiology devoted to them. That being said, I really liked both places with a better vibe at UMich but WashU probably has all around "better" training; at least they win for CC IMO.

Thoughts on Loyola? Facilities were nice, but the interview was pretty packed.

Hey guys, I would like your opinion on theses programs: UMN, Downstate, and Cook County. I enjoyed my interview at UMN, and Downstate has some great fellowship placements. Thanks in advance.

i feel like the residents work REALLY REALLY hard.
Yes, they do. But they seem to have a good time. There are quite a few young attendings who all seemed easy to get along with.

Yes, they do. But they seem to have a good time. There are quite a few young attendings who all seemed easy to get along with.

True, but at the same time, the Loyola residents I met all looked like how I felt during third year... It seemed like for the good programs in Chicago, you work "really really" hard anyway. If you want to stay in Chicago - just depends on the type of environment you would want to be in, and how well you learn independently.

would appreciate advice on these programs, would like to pursue a cardiac anesthesia fellowship in the future. Although less important, but wouldn't mind living in a nice area too:

Cleveland clinic foundation- big name, great research opportunities, the city just sucks
North Shore LIJ- state of the art hospital, well connected faculty, new program
SUNY Downstate- great fellowship match results, bad press
Mount Sinai Medical Center Florida- strong in cards, great location, new program but still strongly considering this
UF Jacksonville- great OB
Baystate Medical Center- Tufts affiliated
University of Rochester- nice innovative curriculum, city is depressing
Boston University- its boston, solid program

any input?

For SUNY Downstate, I've seen a thread of complaints that also mentioned at one point they were on probation. However, they have a new PD, and I got a good impression of interviewing with him. As for the residents, I didn't have contact with many of them, just one of the chiefs and one CA1 mostly, so I cannot comment on that very much. The program seemed well organized. And their accreditation cycle is currently 4 years, although I do not give that much importance.

Mount Sinai Medical Center Florida- strong in cards, great location, new program but still strongly considering this

wtf is this place? Im a med student from florida and Ive never even heard of it.

wtf is this place? Im a med student from florida and Ive never even heard of it.

new program just opened, Jackson memorial residents used to rotate here for cardiac, now they have their own residency program. anybody else know about this place?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know much but while I was in Miami, I drove past this place and as stated above, can't beat the location. They have a mix of DO and MD residencies but that's all I know.

Hey guys and gals. Long time lurker since pre-med years and finally writing my first post.
I would really appreciate for some advice on my list:

UTSW - solid program, Dallas is awesome city.
UAB - Strong program, great hours, awesome moonlighting opportunities. Weak peds
UPMC - No weaknesses, giant program but don't know much about the city
CCF - Good name recognition, good research opportunities. Weak trauma, OB and peds
Case Western - Seems like solid program and residents seems happy.
Wake Forest - Nice program but I don't know if my wife and I can live in Winston-Salem for 4-5 years
NYU - Housing is very expensive but other than that program itself has no flaws and good name recognition. No categorical position
Penn State - Same as Wake Forest

I honestly wouldn't mind matching at any of these programs. Each has its pros and cons. I just want to hear what other people think about the programs.

Thanks

Hey guys and gals. Long time lurker since pre-med years and finally writing my first post.
I would really appreciate for some advice on my list:

UTSW - solid program, Dallas is awesome city.
UAB - Strong program, great hours, awesome moonlighting opportunities. Weak peds
UPMC - No weaknesses, giant program but don't know much about the city
CCF - Good name recognition, good research opportunities. Weak trauma, OB and peds
Case Western - Seems like solid program and residents seems happy.
Wake Forest - Nice program but I don't know if my wife and I can live in Winston-Salem for 4-5 years
NYU - Housing is very expensive but other than that program itself has no flaws and good name recognition. No categorical position
Penn State - Same as Wake Forest

I honestly wouldn't mind matching at any of these programs. Each has its pros and cons. I just want to hear what other people think about the programs.

Thanks

In my opinion, UTSW, NYU, UAB, UPMC are the strongest of the bunch -- within that group I'd rank on location - Dallas/NYC/Alabama/Pittsburgh are very different locations, just go with gut impression of where you could see yourself living.

Any input on these programs? Try not to place too much importance on location, unless it's the only thing separating two programs in your opinion. Thanks.

Alphabetical:
Baystate
Boston U
Buffalo
Case Western - MetroHealth
Drexel
Maimonides
North Shore - LIJ
NYMC - Westchester
UConn
UMass

Any input on these programs? Try not to place too much importance on location, unless it's the only thing separating two programs in your opinion. Thanks.

Alphabetical:
Baystate
Boston U
Buffalo
Case Western - MetroHealth
Drexel
Maimonides
North Shore - LIJ
NYMC - Westchester
UConn
UMass
Only ones of those I interviewed at last year were baystate, metrohealth and NYMC

For me baystate>>>>>>>>>NYMC>metrohealth

Since today is the first day to officially start ranking programs on the nrmp's website and my mind keeps playing tricks on me, I figured I'd start a thread to see everyone else's thought process.

1. UPMC - seemed like the best all around program where I interviewed. All aspects of the program seemed pretty awesome. The only drawbacks I saw: Pittsburgh wasn't the greatest city, all of this years CA-3's are doing fellowships (wasn't sure if this was actually a negative or not), multiple sites, and maybe some transition with the current PD likely moving to chair.
2. U Kentucky - probably my favorite visit. Great PD. Cool city. I was blown away by their hospital and their didactics. Some negatives: early morning lectures, ICU rotations didn't seem as beneficial as other places, and their regional seemed like it was dependent on two new attendings plus a couple that are returning after fellowship.
3. Ohio State - Good all around program. Residents seemed very pleased. Nice city. I was unsure about their didactic structure and the obsession with a mediocre football team.

I'm going to U Michigan next week and I'm looking forward to visiting. Overall, I'd be happy at any of these programs. I might try to visit Pittsburgh and Lexington again before the final list is due to get a better feel for the cities.

What's going on with the rest of you guys? It's been pretty quiet around here concerning the 2013-2014 cycle.
Another plus is UPMC now has an ortho anesthesia fellowship so you will have a competitive advantage for that.

Would anyone have any comments comparing Tufts vs Jefferson.
Also how would you rank the following, Northeast is a preferred location for me because of family

Jefferson
Tufts
Main med
UMASS
UCONN
Michigan
Cleveland clinic
Baystate
Wake
St Luke's
Temple

I'm having a bit of trouble with my list as well. I have my number one and my last choice, but the middle of the pack is a bit harder. That said, can anyone do a comparison of Cedars Sinai, USC, UC Davis, and UC Irvine? I've been told USC and Cedars do not train as well as the others. I've heard UCI > UCD > USC > Cedars. Thoughts?

Hey everyone, I'm having a tough time figuring out how to rank these two programs (I'm withholding the actual rank for where these two programs are on my list, but let's just say that they are being considered very strongly). The remainder of my rank list is fairly well-settled at this point.

Brigham and Women's
Great overall impression about the program from my (super long) interview day. I clicked well with the residents and felt like it was the type of work environment where I could thrive. Training, particularly in peds, OB, and cardiac, stands out as being superior compared to NYU as a whole, though by what difference, I'm not quite sure. Faculty and program chair seemed supportive and, from what the residents told me during my interview day, are good about teaching. Considered an "elite" program and is generally considered to have a better overall reputation than NYU, for whatever that's worth, so I assume that Brigham would open up a few more employment opportunities in the future. Location-wise, I think of Boston as a quaint college town because I'm from the NY metro area, so all of my comparisons between Boston and NYC with regards to culture, food scene, activities, public transportation availability (HUGE -- the MTA runs 24/7 while the T shuts down at like midnight), and number of attractive single women (hey, I'm a single guy, this stuff matters) swing heavily in favor of New York. No family connections to the Boston area, but it's only about a 4 hour bus ride back to New York.

NYU
Terrific overall impression as well. The residents are super laid-back and seem to have a great sense of camaraderie, and they are the types of people that I think I'd get along well with, as I experienced during an away rotation and on my interview day. A very well-rounded program with no glaring weaknesses. Great hours and work-life balance, though it almost seems too cush (is there even such a thing?), with residents getting out of the ORs by 4 pm on a good number of days; definitely not as hard-working (in my opinion) as Brigham -- that's not a good thing or a bad thing, just an observation. Awesome setup with three very different training facilities (Tisch, Bellevue, VA) located right next to one another and HJD about another 10 blocks south. Program director and faculty seemed decidedly pro-resident. A good reputation in the New York area (and nationally, for that matter), but not at the level of Brigham. Great location, for all the reasons I mentioned above in comparison to Boston. Nearly all of my family and friends live in NYC or the surrounding area, so I know I'd be happy during my free time. I also already have housing in the city, so I wouldn't need to look for a place on my own when residency starts.

At this point, I know that I want to end up practicing in NYC/the NY area after I finish residency, but I'm not totally sure whether I'd like to go into academics or PP (for what it's worth, I'm probably 60%/40% leaning towards PP). For me, my impression is that Brigham = better training and reputation, while NYU = better location and level of comfort. My main question boils down to this: Is there a significant enough gap in the training, reputation, and potential employment opportunities such that Brigham should be a no-brainer? Would I be foolish to choose NYU over Brigham based on location and comfort level?

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm having a tough time figuring out how to rank these two programs (I'm withholding the actual rank for where these two programs are on my list, but let's just say that they are being considered very strongly). The remainder of my rank list is fairly well-settled at this point.

Brigham and Women's
Great overall impression about the program from my (super long) interview day. I clicked well with the residents and felt like it was the type of work environment where I could thrive. Training, particularly in peds, OB, and cardiac, stands out as being superior compared to NYU as a whole, though by what difference, I'm not quite sure. Faculty and program chair seemed supportive and, from what the residents told me during my interview day, are good about teaching. Considered an "elite" program and is generally considered to have a better overall reputation than NYU, for whatever that's worth, so I assume that Brigham would open up a few more employment opportunities in the future. Location-wise, I think of Boston as a quaint college town because I'm from the NY metro area, so all of my comparisons between Boston and NYC with regards to culture, food scene, activities, public transportation availability (HUGE -- the MTA runs 24/7 while the T shuts down at like midnight), and number of attractive single women (hey, I'm a single guy, this stuff matters) swing heavily in favor of New York. No family connections to the Boston area, but it's only about a 4 hour bus ride back to New York.

NYU
Terrific overall impression as well. The residents are super laid-back and seem to have a great sense of camaraderie, and they are the types of people that I think I'd get along well with. A very well-rounded program with no glaring weaknesses. Great hours and work-life balance, though it almost seems too cush (is there even such a thing?), with residents getting out of the ORs by 4 pm on a good number of days; definitely not as hard-working (in my opinion) as Brigham -- that's not a good thing or a bad thing, just an observation. Awesome setup with three very different training facilities (Tisch, Bellevue, VA) located right next to one another and HJD about another 10 blocks south. Program director and faculty seemed decidedly pro-resident. A good reputation in the New York area (and nationally, for that matter), but not at the level of Brigham. Great location, for all the reasons I mentioned above in comparison to Boston. Nearly all of my family and friends live in NYC or the surrounding area, so I know I'd be happy during my free time. I also already have housing in the city, so I wouldn't need to look for a place on my own when residency starts.

At this point, I know that I want to end up practicing in NYC/the NY area after I finish residency, but I'm not totally sure whether I'd like to go into academics or PP (for what it's worth, I'm probably 60%/40% leaning towards PP). For me, my impression is that Brigham = better training and reputation, while NYU = better location and level of comfort. My main question boils down to this: Is there a significant enough gap in the training, reputation, and potential employment opportunities such that Brigham should be a no-brainer? Would I be foolish to choose NYU over Brigham based on location and comfort level?

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

my vote is from BWH. I do think that there is a significant gap in reputation and potential empolyment opportunities (I didn't interview at NYU so i can't comment on the training)... From your own post it seems like you feel the training at BW is better, you can thrive in that environment and that you are looking at future employment opportunities with possible consideration to academia: all point to BW. You only train once... If your only thing that is favoring NYU is location, I say rank BW advanced, stay in NYC for prelim. take an adventure for only 3 years and check out boston. After you're done at BWH im sure you'll have whatever opportunities (PP or fellowship) you want to come back to in NYC.

Last edited:
As someone who interviewed at both places, I would lean towards NYU. I don't think there's a big gap in reputation, and if your goal is to get a job in the NYC might actually put you further ahead with connections in the area. While the hours are lighter, I feel like the time in the hospital can be intense and encourages you to dive in -- after taking Trauma calls at Bellevue, I would imagine you'd be ready for just about anything by the time you're finished. In my opinion, happiness in residency is going to play a big role in how much you get out of the experience.

lol, step213. NYC for prelim? might be better to spend a year somewhere else to avoid dealing with NYC ward nurses as an intern :)

As someone who interviewed at both places, I would lean towards NYU. I don't think there's a big gap in reputation, and if your goal is to get a job in the NYC might actually put you further ahead with connections in the area. While the hours are lighter, I feel like the time in the hospital can be intense and encourages you to dive in -- after taking Trauma calls at Bellevue, I would imagine you'd be ready for just about anything by the time you're finished. In my opinion, happiness in residency is going to play a big role in how much you get out of the experience.

lol, step213. NYC for prelim? might be better to spend a year somewhere else to avoid dealing with NYC ward nurses as an intern :)

All I have to say is if you do your prelim in NYC you'll be a baller with IV's and gurney pushing skills during your Ca-1 year =)

Last edited:
I'm having a bit of trouble with my list as well. I have my number one and my last choice, but the middle of the pack is a bit harder. That said, can anyone do a comparison of Cedars Sinai, USC, UC Davis, and UC Irvine? I've been told USC and Cedars do not train as well as the others. I've heard UCI > UCD > USC > Cedars. Thoughts?

I'm curious about this as well (with UCSD included in this mix). I know this topic has been discussed before but I was wondering if there were any current opinions on these programs from either residents or applicants this year.

Can anyone comment on the reputation/training between BID and NYU?

Can anyone comment on the reputation/training between BID and NYU?

From my experience last year, these were both a couple of my favorites. I thought they had a very similar feel to them -- happy residents and great training at both. I don't think you can go wrong either way -- ultimately comes down to if you want to live in Boston or NYC. Sounds like you have some good options, good luck!

I already posted my list but now am reconsidering the order of my top three: NYU, WashU and UMich:

NYU: As stated by others, good feel, close to home, love the three hospital setup and since I want to practice in the area, best local connections. Major drawback is being an advanced program.

WashU: Liked the residents, very strong placement into whatever you want, seemed to work hard but plenty of opportunities to make extra $$. Research is top notch and the hospital complex is awesome. St. Louis was an okay city, can't complain too much. Interested in CC and possible Cardiac.

UMich: Felt more welcoming than WashU. Residents seemed more chill and happier. Really liked the college feel of Ann Arbor. Research also top notch.

Biggest issue now is: Do I leave NY for a higher tier program over NYU with the intention of coming back to the city for a fellowship and job or just stay at NYU? I wouldn't mind leaving for a few years but if my plan is to come back, I don't know how much of an advantage going to a more reputable program makes a difference. Seems like every program usually hires internally both as an attending and for fellowships.

Anyone want to take a crack at UCSF vs. Stanford. Goal is 50% Academic, 50% pp in the bay area. I love city life but I also love the burbs (grew up on the peninsula). Looking at which would give edge after graduation. Liked each program for different reasons.. i like the hardcore feel of UCSF but i really thought Stanford's program was cutting edge in terms of education.

Anyone want to take a crack at UCSF vs. Stanford. Goal is 50% Academic, 50% pp in the bay area. I love city life but I also love the burbs (grew up on the peninsula). Looking at which would give edge after graduation. Liked each program for different reasons.. i like the hardcore feel of UCSF but i really thought Stanford's program was cutting edge in terms of education.

I know both of these programs very well. Feel free to PM me. You have an enviable "problem" - good luck!!

I know both of these programs very well. Feel free to PM me. You have an enviable "problem" - good luck!!

I would love to hear your thoughts, your profile settings though are set so that no one can PM you.

My turn! Which would you choose: U-Dub or Virginia Mason? Why?

I was actually blown away by VM on interview day. Faculty were AMAZING - I actually enjoyed M&M quite a bit. PD's were some of the best I met all interview season. U Dub was just "ok" when i visited - I think I had expected more out of it as I've heard it is considered a prestigious west coast program but unfortunately compared to the other big west coast programs it didn't stand out much. Group interview with the PD was kind of eh - and interviewing with like 20+ other candidates that day was also a turn off.

I was actually blown away by VM on interview day. Faculty were AMAZING - I actually enjoyed M&M quite a bit. PD's were some of the best I met all interview season. U Dub was just "ok" when i visited - I think I had expected more out of it as I've heard it is considered a prestigious west coast program but unfortunately compared to the other big west coast programs it didn't stand out much. Group interview with the PD was kind of eh - and interviewing with like 20+ other candidates that day was also a turn off.

Completely agree with everything you said. I really wanted to like U-Dub more than I actually ended up liking it after the interview. Was also blown away by VM.

Would NYU or BID's reputation carry one further in terms of future fellowship opportunities and/or academic job placement?

I'm curious of the comparison between Cedars Sinai and UCSD. I realize that LA and SD are vastly different cities. I am more so interested in overall reputation of program, quality of clinical and educational training, and how well the programs place residents into fellowships and PP positions across the country. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 users

It does depend slightly on what you want to do down the road, but really the most important thing is location. I preferred Stanford for a couple reasons: it also has the mixed med-surg ICUs, but also is historically strong in cardiac surgery (they just poached a new cardiac surgery chair from Penn), plus it promised the setting I wanted of early independence with a broad exposure to anesthetic styles in an academic setting.

I'm not sure I got the hardcore feeling from UCSF so much as worked hard in an old-fashioned program, but in their defense it was late in the season after a long week of interviewing.

Care to elaborate on what you did or didn't like about each program?

Completely agree with everything you said. I really wanted to like U-Dub more than I actually ended up liking it after the interview. Was also blown away by VM.

I liked the PD a lot and the place was right in downtown Seattle. However my dinner with the residents and lunch were more lukewarm and they just seemed content, not overly happy or enthusiastic; plus I'm not really gung-ho about regional and want a university based experience. But great program if you're into PP and want to be on the west coast.

It does depend slightly on what you want to do down the road, but really the most important thing is location. I preferred Stanford for a couple reasons: it also has the mixed med-surg ICUs, but also is historically strong in cardiac surgery (they just poached a new cardiac surgery chair from Penn), plus it promised the setting I wanted of early independence with a broad exposure to anesthetic styles in an academic setting.

I'm not sure I got the hardcore feeling from UCSF so much as worked hard in an old-fashioned program, but in their defense it was late in the season after a long week of interviewing.

Care to elaborate on what you did or didn't like about each program?

I think what made me very pro Stanford was definitely the ICU as well which is more closed vs. a more open model at UCSF, I also liked their short lecture series - I thought it was one of those things that showed just how progressive they were trying to be - progressive AND it made sense. UCSF seems to place more residents though in places I want to live (east bay and SF), but I wouldn't mind that much living in the south bay. I also love SF, lived there in my younger years, but obviously the price is a bit steep - I grew up in the burbs so I know I can do Palo Alto but maybe not my first choice. I'm not a total fan of neuroanesthesia which UCSF does a ton of - maybe in residency i would grow to like it? *shrug* I guess when I think down to it my biggest pro UCSF is that awhile ago maybe late 90's early 2000's I heard that the training at UCSF was better then Stanford and I wonder if that is still true today. If I had to choose between the two it would come down to where do I think I'd get the best training. If someone has worked with senior residents from the two programs and can compare and contrast I would love to hear that.

I agree with this completely. I'm from the Seattle area, family still there, etc. I declined the VM interview which I still think was the right choice for me but was definitely meh about UW. I wanted to love it and really thought I would but I just got an overall feeling of coolness/isolation at the interview. The dinner was probably the most like this. The residents I talked to had very little to say about things they liked doing outside of work, their families, friends, etc. It was more like an interview with them constantly asking if I had more questions about the program. I just wanted to have a normal conversation! I think if you are a great independent learner with a family or close group of friends in Seattle who wants to live there and go to a more academic program with lots of trauma, UW is your place. I just didn't get the feeling that the residents had any great sense of camaraderie amongst each other or with the faculty.

new program just opened, Jackson memorial residents used to rotate here for cardiac, now they have their own residency program. anybody else know about this place?

We still rotate through Mount Sinai for hearts and ambulatory. Note that we also do hearts at UM/Jackson/VA. Had no idea they were starting their own program, interesting.

We still rotate through Mount Sinai for hearts and ambulatory. Note that we also do hearts at UM/Jackson/VA. Had no idea they were starting their own program, interesting.

how were ure rotations at Sinai? id appreciate all the info I could get about this place. did u like the faculty? thanks

I think what made me very pro Stanford was definitely the ICU as well which is more closed vs. a more open model at UCSF, I also liked their short lecture series - I thought it was one of those things that showed just how progressive they were trying to be - progressive AND it made sense. UCSF seems to place more residents though in places I want to live (east bay and SF), but I wouldn't mind that much living in the south bay. I also love SF, lived there in my younger years, but obviously the price is a bit steep - I grew up in the burbs so I know I can do Palo Alto but maybe not my first choice. I'm not a total fan of neuroanesthesia which UCSF does a ton of - maybe in residency i would grow to like it? *shrug* I guess when I think down to it my biggest pro UCSF is that awhile ago maybe late 90's early 2000's I heard that the training at UCSF was better then Stanford and I wonder if that is still true today. If I had to choose between the two it would come down to where do I think I'd get the best training. If someone has worked with senior residents from the two programs and can compare and contrast I would love to hear that.

I am struggling with the same thing. Historically UCSF has been better, but it seems that recently Stanford has gained a lot of ground and maybe in four years when we are finishing up Stanford will be the premier program in the bay area...

I'm curious of the comparison between Cedars Sinai and UCSD. I realize that LA and SD are vastly different cities. I am more so interested in overall reputation of program, quality of clinical and educational training, and how well the programs place residents into fellowships and PP positions across the country. Thanks for the help!
bump

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone comment on the reputation between NYU and BID?? Will one program get you further in terms of fellowship opportunities/jobs nationwide compared to the other?