2014 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on the paper! Very high impact, huh? I'm kind of jealous :) It'll make a nice update for those non-rolling schools.
And a waitlist is a waitlist (shrug), I'm sure you'll have plenty of good schools to choose from.

Well, very high impact in the clinical research world, anyway. I'm sure some basic scientists would look down on it but psh to them ;)

And yup, lots of update-letter-writing tomorrow. Also starting to sort through financial paperwork. The neverending slog.

Members don't see this ad.

So, anyone have any idea how long these background checks take?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was surprised how quickly it came! Also, even though I knew there was nothing on there, reading the subsections was nerve wracking!

Reactions: 1 user
I had an application cycle dream last night. I got a call from my top choice for a second interview. Confused, I decide to go...the very same day I got the II. I interview with the dean, who is sitting behind this giant oak desk while staring down at me. I took question after question like a champ: why medicine? Why this school? Dead or alive, which three people would you have lunch with? And on they go. It's my turn to ask questions, and so I ask why I'm there for a second interview. The dean answers that I didn't smile enough during my first interview, and they needed to better gauge my personality...

This is where it gets weird. She slides this little white device across the table, reaches over and swabs my skin, swirls the swab in a little vial, takes up a dropper full, puts three drops in the little device...and waits three minutes. Sound like a pregnancy test? Two lines appear, and she tells me I've been accepted.

Reactions: 5 users
So, anyone have any idea how long these background checks take?
I was surprised how quickly it came! Also, even though I knew there was nothing on there, reading the subsections was nerve wracking!
I wonder if the international addresses will make it take longer.
I submitted mine 1/13 and haven't heard back yet. I've one international address in there, so idk. I guess I'll start worrying if I don't get anything by mid-week, but I suspect I'm ok. I've a gov't clearance and near-perfect credit as of a couple months ago. What else could there be?

oh wait. target. dabnabbit!

I submitted mine 1/13 and haven't heard back yet. I've one international address in there, so idk. I guess I'll start worrying if I don't get anything by mid-week, but I suspect I'm ok. I've a gov't clearance and near-perfect credit as of a couple months ago. What else could there be?

My card got jacked by the Target thing, and like $500 disappeared in a day. Did you get the year of free credit monitoring by Target via Experian?

This is where it gets weird. She slides this little white device across the table, reaches over and swabs my skin, swirls the swab in a little vial, takes up a dropper full, puts three drops in the little device...and waits three minutes. Sound like a pregnancy test? Two lines appear, and she tells me I've been accepted.

Sounds like you better take a trip to the drug store and buy that pregnancy test :laugh:

I'm not sure the schools care much about creditworthiness. Unless there are a lot of "business trips" to Thailand on the credit card.

My card got jacked by the Target thing, and like $500 disappeared in a day. Did you get the year of free credit monitoring by Target via Experian?
I was hesitant to do this since you have to give Target even more information. That's like someone stealing money from you, so you give them more money to make them not steal from you.

I jest (partly), but seriously, did they secure their systems?

I was hesitant to do this since you have to give Target even more information. That's like someone stealing money from you, so you give them more money to make them not steal from you.

I jest (partly), but seriously, did they secure their systems?
I was not a part of the mess that Target created but have been in a similar situation before. I would expect that you'll deal directly with Experian and won't have to disclose anything additional to Target.

Members don't see this ad :)

My bank just canceled my credit and debit cards and issued new ones. No unusual activity on them, though.

I use the experian credit monitoring service; I was part of a group affected by a data breach a while ago (not the target one). I took my free year of credit monitoring and continue to pay for the service. While in no small part it feels like extortion to give money to a credit reporting bureau so that you will be quickly appraised of their own errors, money that it would not be necessary to pay if they did their jobs properly, it does provide a certain peace of mind.

I advise my friends and family to never, ever use debit cards if they don't have to. You are far better protected when you use a credit card. The only exception would be people who lack the self-control to use credit cards responsibly.

Pre-interview hold at two places right now, two interviews completed (both felt great but subjective recall is a cruel mistress), and waiting to hear either way from 8 others.

No rejections yet so there's that!

Weird being back in a new school for one class (biochem). The school has a nice gym so I'm looking to getting back into some form of regular exercise. It's only a few weeks until the TX match and I'm nervous but excited.

I'd really like to find some part time work but I have no idea where to look (MWF only with a physics degree :confused:).

Weird being back in a new school for one class (biochem). The school has a nice gym so I'm looking to getting back into some form of regular exercise. It's only a few weeks until the TX match and I'm nervous but excited.

I'd really like to find some part time work but I have no idea where to look (MWF only with a physics degree :confused:).
Ever since biochemistry I've been contemplating glucagon and epinephrine v insulin at the gym. It's weird. It's like I'm trying to trick out my body.

Seriously. If I want to scare myself i imagine ned in a dress interviewing me.

Ever since biochemistry I've been contemplating glucagon and epinephrine v insulin at the gym. It's weird. It's like I'm trying to trick out my body.

Seriously. If I want to scare myself i imagine ned in a dress interviewing me.

Ever since the MCAT, I pretty much dumped most of the stuff I knew, except for some biochem. Doctor I was working with was totes impressed I knew the physiology of atrial natriuretic peptide in gross detail. And then he was like "Most of that **** is totally worthless in clinical practice."

I didn't think I would be able to post in the "progress" thread this year. I have a 3.9 science GPA and a 3.65 cumulative, but last year I took the MCAT twice. First score: 27. I was two weeks postpartum, so I thought it was a "state of mind" thing. Studied all summer, retook, and got a 26. ?!?! I only applied to two schools, and the secondaries were submitted before I received my second MCAT score, so I figured, why not just see what happens. Worst they can do is say no, right?

Well, I had one interview in November, and I have the other in 2 weeks! I haven't been accepted yet...but I haven't been rejected either. Once interviewed, both of these schools have a ~33% acceptance rate. Not too shabby.

In the meantime, I'm taking an MCAT class and making real progress, presenting my research at 2 conferences in the next few months, getting A's in advanced chem and bio classes and -- most awesomely -- watching my baby girl grow way too fast.

My husband reminded me today, that even though I'm not as strong an applicant as I tried to be, I've come a hell of a long way in the last year and I should embrace the small victories. Just wanted to post my experience so far, hopefully it resonates with some of you. Don't give up! Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, things don't turn out exactly as we wanted to, but I honestly believe this goal of becoming a physician is worth any hoop I have to jump through. Hoping I don't have to reapply, but I'm ready if I do.

Reactions: 5 users
Have you thought about substitute teaching? Every district (almost) needs subs who have degrees, especially science degrees. You could work every Tues/Thurs if you wanted to and it's a pretty easy job. Just a thought! I teach Chem currently in a district outside Dallas. Biding my time until Tech in the fall. Anyway good luck!

Have you thought about substitute teaching? Every district (almost) needs subs who have degrees, especially science degrees. You could work every Tues/Thurs if you wanted to and it's a pretty easy job. Just a thought! I teach Chem currently in a district outside Dallas. Biding my time until Tech in the fall. Anyway good luck!
That was for QuantumJ. Don't know why it didn't do the normal response thing. Sorry!

I didn't think I would be able to post in the "progress" thread this year. I have a 3.9 science GPA and a 3.65 cumulative, but last year I took the MCAT twice. First score: 27. I was two weeks postpartum, so I thought it was a "state of mind" thing. Studied all summer, retook, and got a 26. ?!?!

I didn't feel sharp again until my kiddo was almost 2! I think it was a combination of breastfeeding/hormones/sleep deprivation. I had a 40 average in gen chem and had to withdraw. A year or two later I took the same class and got a near perfect grade. The good news is, the sharpness returns! Just hang in there and congrats on your interviews!

Reactions: 3 users
I wonder if the international addresses will make it take longer.

Also, @ Captain Sisko, I had an international address in addition to multiple state side address over several counties. Submitted 1/5, report complete 1/15.

Also, @ Captain Sisko, I had an international address in addition to multiple state side address over several counties. Submitted 1/5, report complete 1/15.

Well, that's a little vexing. In other excellent news, I got rejected from UNECOM. It made me feel relatively indifferent.

Well, that's a little vexing. In other excellent news, I got rejected from UNECOM. It made me feel relatively indifferent.
Vexing but not surprising. It took a little over two years to get one of my clearances for work, I suspect because of extensive foreign travel and contacts. Anytime you involve international stuff it adds tons of time to these things.

Another week, another snowstorm threatening to ruin my interview travel plans. Noooooooooooo.

Some schools offer alternative dates to interviewees that can't make it to their interview dates because of the weather. But I hope things work out for you anyway.

I didn't think I would be able to post in the "progress" thread this year.
Hey, congrats on your progress this year! Best of luck with the schools you've interviewed at!
But in case you end up having to retake MCAT, there is a lot of good advice in the MCAT subforum. I retook MCAT, and I think what worked for me was: 1) the right materials (can't praise The Princeton Hyperlearning enough - I got everything I could get my hands on); 2) *a lot* of practice, and the right kind of practice (timed + careful analysis of the questions you got right and wrong after practice + taking every single AAMC test under "test conditions"); and 3) the right attitude. I don't know about the first 2, but you seem to have the last one covered :)

I didn't feel sharp again until my kiddo was almost 2! I think it was a combination of breastfeeding/hormones/sleep deprivation. I had a 40 average in gen chem and had to withdraw. A year or two later I took the same class and got a near perfect grade. The good news is, the sharpness returns! Just hang in there and congrats on your interviews!
Very good to know!

Vexing but not surprising. It took a little over two years to get one of my clearances for work, I suspect because of extensive foreign travel and contacts. Anytime you involve international stuff it adds tons of time to these things.

Two years?! :bang:

Yep, I'm that sketchy and the program is that sensitive.fortunately I was cleared by certiphi yesterday.

Still waiting...
Not sure how hard it is to find out if I committed a crime in Japan seeing as they would've deported me for anything more than a simple civil offense, being the paragon of morality that I was as a teacher/government employee.

So, PCOM sent me an email saying my application is now complete. IIRC, I submitted my stuff in the summer. Not that I care anymore, but it just seems odd.

Well, I'm officially done with my interviews. There are technically a handful of schools I haven't heard from but I think it's only a matter of time before they send rejections.

Now it's time for financial aid paperwork and waiting... So much waiting...

Reactions: 1 users
Doesn't it feel nice to be finished with interviews?

Doesn't it feel nice to be finished with interviews?

It does, particularly since this last trip officially takes me to a vacation days balance of zero! Got in just under the wire.

I'm retiring my lucky Blazer...

I will miss all the characters I met at interviews, like:

Freaking Out Person (will not stop shaking the whole day)
Too Self-important to Talk to Anyone Person (ignoring everyone, will only talk to ADCOMs, otherwise staring at smart phone the whole time)
Awesome Person (really hope they will be classmates/friends next fall)
The Narcissist (you know them, they like, went to Harvard, think that they are old at 22, they cured cancer in their gap year)

...anyone got any other examples?

I encountered Awkward Person Trying To Make Conversation But Can't Think Of Any Topics But Interviews a few times.

Also Gunner Who Continually Asks About Research Opportunities At Massive Academic Research University With Billions In Grant Funding. Like, I'm not sure what answer that person expects.. 'oh, things are great now, but we think everything will be destroyed in a fire before you get here?' 'your strong research profile is why you were offered an interview, but actually we actively try and prevent med students doing research'?

But mostly I met great people who I look forward to working with in the future.

I'll miss the Nervous Person Blurting Out Inappropriate/Awkward Stuff. I think @BundleofHis interviewed with me the first time I encountered it, when a kid said his favorite boy band of the '90s was the Ku Klux Klan. I guess he meant Wu Tang...?

Edit: I guess it IS a band. Thanks, Google.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll miss the Nervous Person Blurting Out Inappropriate/Awkward Stuff. I think @BundleofHis interviewed with me the first time I encountered it, when a kid said his favorite boy band of the '90s was the Ku Klux Klan. I guess he meant Wu Tang...?

Edit: I guess it IS a band. Thanks, Google.

Update: just saw that kid again at another interview on Friday. He hasn't changed a bit hahahah

Too much depends to judge the efficacy of the MMI itself (does the interview solely decide to accept the candidate?). But a bad MMI implementation (and there is wide variance from the other threads posted) is just as bad as a bad traditional interview, in the end it's the people running the show that really count, in both cases.

From what I've seen the MMI is an attempt to create a process to make up for the shortcomings of bad interviewers. But in the process it hamstrings a good interviewer, who presumably has experience with introverts as well as extroverts and knows not all that shines is gold.

MMI is great for schools with bad interviewers and tries to "spread the risk," but on the other hand, it is terrible for schools with an already great set of interviewers in place. Granted, it is difficult time consuming and resource intensive to build a good set of interviewers.

But right now, we are all debating preference because we dont know how it fits together in the end and are just expressing our reactions to our small set of app/interview experiences. I agree we should move the MMI debate to another thread like this one:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-to-prep-for-mmi-interview.1041399/

I think the point is that at every school ... there are going to be bad interviewers and the idea that a school has only a great set of interviewers in place is unrealistic. Preparing for the MMIs is different than for traditional interviews so that's why many applicants are struggling with the learning curve!

Background check finally cleared
tumblr_lxgiudrbMy1r4gxx2o1_400.gif

... and I'm still playing "dude, where is my W-2?" with work. They promised to release the forms in the end of January; I guess they must have implied January 31st.

App year complete!

29 secondaries
15 ii
12 ia
10 a
2 wl

Good luck to everyone still playing. I'm taking a break from sdn for a while. See you in the springtime!