2014 post-certification deadline rank list thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well there are very few true community programs in psych(less than 20% of all programs for sure)

What are you considering community programs? Would a place like Baystate be considered community (Tufts affiliation)?

Members don't see this ad.

JPS at #6 because you have to testify 6 q wk x 4 yrs, 20-30 patients/notes per day, bad traffic, and very limited opportunities/amount of time for electives. F that.

Yes, JPS is John Peter Smith in Fort Worth. I hadn't heard of them before the residency search began, but since then they have been on national news because of the hospital's refusal to take a brain-dead pregnant woman off a ventilator & subsequent lawsuit (Oh Texas).
Anyways, I interviewed there this year and just wanted to chime in...
I was told you participate in testimony 'from day one', with hearings twice a week.
It did sound like residents where exposed to large #s of patients. The units were large with 16-38 beds, but multiple teams on some. I did not get the impression that a resident was responsible for every patient on their unit.
Coming from the east coast I didn't feel like the immediate area around the hospital had much traffic, at least not anything more than I'm used to--but I was only there one day & can't speak for larger surrounding area.
They do call q5-6 on IM (2 months of IM inpatient), then 2 months outpatient medicine & 2 months Neuro (during which instead of 'call' you have a modified schedule where you get Friday day off and do 11 hour Friday over night shift 6pm to 5am).
(This was the first interview I did so I don't remember having a conversation about call schedule, but I definitely got the impression that current PGY1s were going to have a lighter schedule than their predecessors, AND....) the materials they gave me and my notes all indicate that JPS is switching to a night float system with each resident doing 4-6 weeks PGY1 & 2 of 11 hour overnights from 6pm to 5am for five nights of the week & occasional weekend overnights (1 weekend shift a month). Overnight is busy because you are mainly responsible for the Psych ER admissions. Then PGY 3/4 is 8am-8pm weekend shifts 1-2 per month.
As for the electives-PGY4 is 12 months of outpatient continuity clinic for 2-21/2 days a week with the rest of your week used for electives. Kind of odd and maybe too little too late, but there is some. (Also 3 months of Adolescent Psych (13-17 year olds) during PGY2.)
...guess I should just go post an interview review, huh?...

Also, I too am interested in hearing about Kaweah Delta. I had an interview scheduled but cut it early on after hearing back from other places closer to my coast. It does seem kind of cool (yet also terrifying!) to be the first class. I was really intrigued by their interview format, is that a widespread thing? Definitely the first time I had ever heard of something like that. Also they did the cutest thing with having a message to applicants 'hidden' in the website, asking them to send an email with a specific sentence in it. I thought it was an interesting idea to gauge applicant interest by figuring who read your website, when, and if they were paying attention.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told you participate in testimony 'from day one', with hearings twice a week.

As for the electives-PGY4 is 12 months of outpatient continuity clinic for 2-21/2 days a week with the rest of your week used for electives.

I was told "from day one" as well...literally. It sounds horrible. They said some of the attorneys grill you on the stand trying to slip you up. Court is twice a week and you usually testify for at least 3 cases. The resident I talked to about it said it is cool at first but gets old quick.

I have in my notes 1.5 days a week for the electives. Dunno.

I was told "from day one" as well...literally. It sounds horrible. They said some of the attorneys grill you on the stand trying to slip you up. Court is twice a week and you usually testify for at least 3 cases. The resident I talked to about it said it is cool at first but gets old quick.
Yes it definitely did sound like it was a more combative/hostile experience. Compared to what I've been exposed to at least.

Last edited:
Let's keep hearing more rank lists! It's an exciting season!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh yeah, forgot the real purpose of this thread--rank list!
Mine was based mostly on gut feel/'fit' followed by location (job opportunities for S.O., proximity to home, and weather).

I definitely did a poor job of narrowing down what I was looking for before applying & there is a good handful of programs I wish I had applied to but didn't (could have saved myself some money and/or been a little less anxious about falling below #4 on my rank list).

1. Hartford Hospital/Institute of Living
2. University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt
3. University of South Carolina/Palmetto Health
4. Medical University of South Carolina
5. Cooper University Hospital - Camden
6. Einstein Healthcare Network (Philly)
7. Rush
8. John Peter Smith
9. Cooper - Atlantic City
10. Robert Wood Johnson
11.-13. = dual FM/Psych Programs
14. University of Kansas
15. Loyola

Deciding between #1 & 2 was incredibly hard (gut feeling/click vs. ideal location[and-lets be honest--name]) and I constantly went back and forth until the end. HH/IOL, UMD/SP, USC, & MUSC are basically even--I would be just as happy and get amazing training at any one of them--each has it's own unique positives! Cooper and Einstein are purely location based/personal reasons (just doing what works best for me. again, this is where I wish I had put a little more thought into my application list/which interviews I accepted vs. canceled). The rest are mostly location preferences/fairly even program wise. I didn't think I would handle the commuting demands of RWJ well, otherwise seemed like a really great program! More or less decided psych>>dual training (for me) but still see the value & happy to rank those great places over 14 &15. I didn't seem to click with UKansas or anyone there, but still had many positive qualities like beautiful hospital & great city. Loyola was meh-- but better than SOAP.

Best of luck to everyone!!! ^_^

Reactions: 4 users
I am couples matching so my order is slightly different than what it would have been alone (would have switched 2&3, bumped Rutgers up to 7, and possibly not ranked the last four). If it seems all over the place, it's because our list is based largely on feel and fit for both of us.

1. Brown University/Butler Hospital
2. University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt
3. University of Virginia
4. Case Western/University Hospitals
5. University of Massachusetts
6. Thomas Jefferson University
7. Cleveland Clinic
8. UPMC
9. Drexel University
10. Temple University
11. Virginia Commonwealth University
12. Rutgers/RWJ - New Brunswick
13. Virginia Tech/Carilion Clinic
14. Eastern Virginia Medical School
15. Baystate Medical Center

didn't rank: Penn State/Hershey, Georgetown

cancelled/declined interviews at: Yale, St. Elizabeth's Boston, St. Elizabeth's DC, Cincinnati, Albert Einstein (Philly)

Good luck to everyone!! :-]

I'm sure this list will make no sense to anyone else, but here it goes... :)

1. U of New Mexico
2. U of Miami
3. Vanderbilt
4. BIMC
5. UTHSCSA
6. UTSW-Austin
7. Colorado
8. Baylor
9. UTHSC-Houston
10. Tulane
11. UIC

DNR: UTSW, S&W

Really struggled in sorting out how I would rank my top 4. All were located in cool cities and I felt a great vibe with the residents. In the end, climate and outdoor activities helped me make the final decision. Really liked several of the Texas schools but decided I wanted to get out for a few years before coming back. Ultimately I'd be really happy at any of the programs I ranked. Best of luck to everyone else in the match!!

This is probably my favorite thread of the year, every year. Some of the RoL's are just baffling to me. I wont go into specifics because I dont want it to seem like I am bashing certain programs, but I look at some lists and try to make sense of them, but no scenario I could possibly come up with would allow them to make sense. Its fun to watch. Part of the beauty of the match too. Best of luck to everyone, I hope you all get your first choice!

This is probably my favorite thread of the year, every year. Some of the RoL's are just baffling to me. I wont go into specifics because I dont want it to seem like I am bashing certain programs, but I look at some lists and try to make sense of them, but no scenario I could possibly come up with would allow them to make sense. Its fun to watch. Part of the beauty of the match too. Best of luck to everyone, I hope you all get your first choice!

There's too many variables to make sense of them, that's why it's just for fun and really is not that useful for future applicants. So many variables you can't account for unless you know the person well - family location, significant other preferences, personal geographic preferences, cities where friends do or don't live, and of course strengths and weaknesses of programs, which is also entirely subjective.

Reactions: 1 users
--moved to correct thread--

Last edited:
From the little bit you've written, your application sounds extremely similar to mine. I look forward to hearing any responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you mean to post this in the What Are My Chances thread? It's not really a post-cert rank list issue.

If you post it elsewhere, I'd be happy to chime in....

Did you mean to post this in the What Are My Chances thread? It's not really a post-cert rank list issue.

If you post it elsewhere, I'd be happy to chime in....
Yep! Just put it in there. Sorry about the mispost.

I have got spurious information and helpful, various perspectives from posts of this forum on the process of making rank orders. It's incredibly hard and every programs seems to have several reasons for me to put them higher or lower every other day. In the end I found that what I considered more is a well-rounded training course with a better weather or city to live in possibly. Anyway, with the certification, it seems like we have bought the lottery and the only thing that we can do from now on is waiting and see what's going on! Here's my top 8 rank list because I think the bottom few programs might not make too much sense for most of the people here.

1. UCSD
2. Mayo
3. LIJ
4. UAB
5. NYMC
6. Rutgers
7. Saint Louis University
8. Georgia Regents/ MCG

bump. let's see more lists...

First of all, I want to thank all the contributors to this forum/site, especially the more senior folks. I used this forum religiously to help elucidate what values and types of training were important to me. So thank you all.

Here's my list:
1. SUNY Downstate
2. St. Lukes Roosevelt
3. U Mass
4. Iol/Hartford
5. U Maryland
6. Boston University
7. Thomas Jefferson
8. U Conn
9. NYMC-Westchester
10. Harvard South Shore

Last edited:
Here is my list. SDN has been a great resource in this process. Thank you everyone!

1. UW Seattle
2. UW Boise
3. Davis
4. New Mexico
5. OHSU
6. Hawaii
7. Utah
8. Arizona south
9. Arizona main

Here's my list. I'm really hoping I end up with my top 5, but we shall see on match day.

1. UW-Seattle
2. Longwood
3. Brown
4. CHA
5. Maryland/SP
6. MCW
7. OHSU
8. Yale
9. UIC
10. Wisconsin
11. Minnesota
12. Georgetown

Cancelled: UNC, Duke, Hopkins, Dartmouth, OSU, Tufts
Rejected: UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, Northwestern

Curious about why you ranked Maryland/SP #5 but canceled Hopkins.

Anyone else with thoughts about ranking Maryland/SP above Hopkins?

Last edited:
Here's my list. I'm really hoping I end up with my top 5, but we shall see on match day.

1. UW-Seattle
2. Longwood
3. Brown
4. CHA
5. Maryland/SP
6. MCW
7. OHSU
8. Yale
9. UIC
10. Wisconsin
11. Minnesota
12. Georgetown

Cancelled: UNC, Duke, Hopkins, Dartmouth, OSU, Tufts
Rejected: UCSF, UCLA, Stanford, Northwestern

Wow, interviewed at Yale and Longwood but rejected from California programs. Goes to show the competitive landscape of CA.

Wow, interviewed at Yale and Longwood but rejected from California programs. Goes to show the competitive landscape of CA.
Well, it goes to show the competitiveness of California's three most competitive programs (assuming UCLA = NPI). I'm sure he or she would have had invites from most of the other programs in the state...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couples matching so my actual rank list looks nothing like the below but I'll post how I would have ranked them if I was doing the regular match:

1. Baylor
2. Southwestern
3. UTHSCSA
4. Northwestern
5. Indiana U
6. U Washington
7. U Penn
8. Vanderbilt
9. U Illinois at Chicago
10. U of New Mexico
11. U of Chicago
12. UT Southwestern - Austin
13. Thomas Jefferson
14. Tufts
15. U Maryland
16. Georgetown

Canceled: U Arizona, UCLA-Kern, UCSF - Fresno, USC, UC-Irvine, UCLA-SFV, Emory, Loyola, Johns Hopkins, Wash U, U of Nevada (Las Vegas), Ohio State, Case Western Reserve University, U Cincinnati, U of Tennessee,
Rejected: UCLA-NPI, Boston Medical Center, CHA, University of Missouri at Kansas City, Drexel
Waitlisted: UCSF

Here's my list -- I'm an east coast person with a strong geographic preference!

1. Columbia
2. NYU
3. Cornell
4. MGH/McLean
5. Mount Sinai (research and regular)
6. Montefiore

Cancelled: Yale, Beth Israel
Rejected: Penn
Did not rank: Jefferson

Last edited:
Why can't match day be today? We have to wait two more weeks!? The suspense is killing me!

Reactions: 4 users
Great lists, all! Here's my top 4--arranged alphabetically and not necessarily in order :)

1. Cambridge
2. Michigan
3. Northwestern
4. Penn

What I was looking for:
- Breadth and depth of clinical exposure, an emphasis on psychotherapies, strong didactics, +/- research
- Opportunities to pursue MBA coursework in affiliated business schools, as I'm very interested in medical administration
- Nurturing/warm/fun residents, faculty, PD(s), and overall environment
- Proximity to friends and family on the East Coast and in the Midwest
- A city that's livable, affordable, and stimulating for a 20-something without kids. Late in the game, I realized that I couldn't live the life I'd want to live in NYC or SF on a resident's salary (even though I adore both cities!)

Thank you, SDNers, for your help throughout this application cycle! I really appreciate it.

Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Great lists, all! Here's my top 4--arranged alphabetically and not necessarily in order :)

1. Cambridge
2. Michigan
3. Northwestern
4. Penn

What I was looking for:
- Breadth and depth of clinical exposure, an emphasis on psychotherapies, strong didactics, +/- research
- Opportunities to pursue MBA coursework in affiliated business schools, as I'm very interested in medical administration
- Nurturing/warm/fun residents, faculty, PD(s), and overall environment
- Proximity to friends and family on the East Coast and in the Midwest
- A city that's livable, affordable, and stimulating for a 20-something without kids. Late in the game, I realized that I couldn't live the life I'd want to live in NYC or SF on a resident's salary (even though I adore both cities!)

Thank you, SDNers, for your help throughout this application cycle! I really appreciate it.

Good luck, everyone!

Great list! Best of luck. I'm glad that a good many of us go into administration. My Dean is a psychiatrist and was also my advisor. I think departments that are strong and are represented well in administration are one of the best things for our field.