2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wasn't, no one answered the post. It ended up working out because I was able to schedule another interview in the area that week.

That's awesome. I really hope mine works out. Right now, I have a west coast interview on the day after an east coast one. I'm very grateful for my interviews, I'm just worried I won't be able to make the current schedule work.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
im likely just paranoid but if an internship site indicates that a phone interview does not jeopardize chances of internship--is that really true?
I've heard that such sites rank you 90% on your application. I'm not sure I'd be able to know if I'd be a good fit for a site unless I attended in person (if possible).

That's awesome. I really hope mine works out. Right now, I have a west coast interview on the day after an east coast one. I'm very grateful for my interviews, I'm just worried I won't be able to make the current schedule work.

The good news is the body adjusts much better when traveling east to west

Members don't see this ad :)
Tried to branch out from some of the places students in my program typically apply. Given the topography of my rejections, this did not appear to work. Or I wrote really poor essays.

i got hit hard today with rejections, and this made me laugh, so thank you for that. i'm in the exact same boat.

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard that such sites rank you 90% on your application. I'm not sure I'd be able to know if I'd be a good fit for a site unless I attended in person (if possible).

Those of us who value numbers and know the I/O literature regarding interviews, do rank mostly on applications. However, I have been on selection committees that pick apart inconsequential interview dynamics when making final rankings. Luckily, every neuro selection committee that I've been on has been pretty rational and quant based.

Has anyone gotten an invite to the child track at either Montefiore or the Vanderbilt Consortium? Thanks!

I got an interview offer from Montefiore this afternoon - maybe 1pm EST or so. I applied to the combined track and it was a mass email, so I'm not sure if the same email was sent to those who applied to the child track. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Hamsterpants - Oh my gosh! Same boat. I have five back-to-back interviews in the same week in different locales across the US. It's going to be FUN! Super excited, but a bit overwhelmed...

I got an interview offer from Montefiore this afternoon - maybe 1pm EST or so. I applied to the combined track and it was a mass email, so I'm not sure if the same email was sent to those who applied to the child track. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Looks like someone did get a child track invite since I posted this. Oh, well... based on prior years' threads, I may as well cross that one off my list.

Looks like someone did get a child track invite since I posted this. Oh, well... based on prior years' threads, I may as well cross that one off my list.
Bummer. I hope you hear positive news.

Directors have to manually close the portal. If it's not closed, you can still submit, even it's past the deadline. In order to see when an applicant submitted, we have to click a separate link for each applicant - and I would bet most of us are NOT doing this because it's a pain to look at and we just assume everyone submitted on time. I had an applicant email me to point out she submitted an application 6 hours after our deadline and she hoped she would still be considered. Honestly, I wouldn't have known had she not pointed it out, and there could've been others who submitted late and I'll never know (I wasn't going to get out of bed at midnight to close the portal and I'm not going to go through and check when each applicant ended up submitting their application). And since she pointed it out, it made me wonder if she'd miss other important deadlines. Other directors may have different opinions, but that's my two cents.
I'm finding your posts incredibly helpful. Thank you for contributing your point of view! It is highly valued on this thread I am sure.

Anyone else still waiting to hear from Texas Child Study Center? I see they've sent some invites and rejections. Still in limbo over here and avoiding my hopes up

Members don't see this ad :)
Site name & Match ID number: Danielsen Center
-Track (if applicable)- Adult (general)
-Invite or rejection- Rejection
-Date notified-today 12/1
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) mass email
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process: on vacation visiting good friends

It's NOT true that a site listed is no longer possible for an interview.....but I know a lot of you can sympathize with me, feeling like the video below watching these posts go up.....
-cue dramatic music-

Reactions: 7 users
Site name & Match ID number: University of Minnesota
-Track (if applicable)- Neuropsychology/Pediatric Neuropsychology
-Date notified-12/2
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) personal email
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process: Not much, just trying to wrap up the semester!

Site name & Match ID number: University of Minnesota
-Track (if applicable)- Neuropsychology/Pediatric Neuropsychology
-Date notified-12/2
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) personal email
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process: Not much, just trying to wrap up the semester!

I feel your pain, same

Hello, hoping to clarify! does any one know if the inerview from "Missouri Health Sciences Psych Consortium (1388); 12/1 phone (Columbia, Missouri VA); " is the Harry S. Truman Va? just wondering, I am aware there are several sites within that consortium and was hoping to clarify

Anyone else having fantasies of marching into someone's office and saying, "You've had my application for a month! Make a decision already!" :p

I received West Haven SMI Track interview offer today. I was offered the 12/17 date.

I received West Haven SMI Track interview offer today. I was offered the 12/17 date.

I was offered the 1/7 but need the 12/17 due to a conflict. They said in their email that we may be able to interview on another date, so here's hoping!

I was offered the 1/7 but need the 12/17 due to a conflict. They said in their email that we may be able to interview on another date, so here's hoping!

Did you also apply to the SMI track?

Did you also apply to the SMI track?

No, Clinical Health Psychology. I emailed them immediately after getting my notification, but haven't heard back yet, so I imagine they are trying to get initial emails out first and will deal with scheduling conflicts later.

No, Clinical Health Psychology. I emailed them immediately after getting my notification, but haven't heard back yet, so I imagine they are trying to get initial emails out first and will deal with scheduling conflicts later.

Ahh, I did not hear from them :(
was it a personalized email?

Ahh, I did not hear from them :(
was it a personalized email?

Yes, it was! Probably they are just taking some time to get them all out, since they personalize with your name and the assigned interview date.

Yes, it was! Probably they are just taking some time to get them all out, since they personalize with your name and the assigned interview date.
you are too sweet! I'm thinking that since I'm toward the end of the alphabet it might take longer for me ;)

you are too sweet! I'm thinking that since I'm toward the end of the alphabet it might take longer for me ;)

I'm at the beginning of the alphabet, so that's a perfectly viable theory :)

Site name & Match ID number: UNC SOM/Psychiatry
Invite or rejection: Invite

Date notified: 12/2
How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal email
Interview date: 1/12, 1/13, 1/21, 1/22

NY Presbyterian/Weill Cornell just sent a mass rejection email. I opened it on mobile and it looked like a poem.

Rejection: A Poem

At least it was my favorite rejection so far :laugh:

NY Presbyterian/Weill Cornell just sent a mass rejection email. I opened it on mobile and it looked like a poem.

Rejection: A Poem

At least it was my favorite rejection so far :laugh:

Now I want to see it!

image.png

Very modern poem. No real rhyme or meter to it. I like it. Expresses the true hectic and frenzied nature of the artist.

Reactions: 12 users
Thanks so much for posting that. You're right, it is haiku-like, although longer than the typical haiku. Is it bad to say your rejection made my day? (Hang in there, I'm sure more invites are on the way.)

Anyone interviewing at MUSC/Charleston Consortium on 1/18 that needs a new date? I'm really trying to switch and the admin assistant is great and flexible but currently no spots on 1/18. So if you are on 1/18 and you wish you'd picked a different date, you may be in luck - PM me!

Which track was this for? Thanks and congrats!

Is it bad to say your rejection made my day?

Not at all! Finding a little humor in a process such as this is one of my favorite things. It's my way of coping.

Getting an invite right before this helped a little as well :D

Thanks! The email did not specify, but I applied to the B-Med and Eating Disorders tracks.
Well double congrats, because I did not apply to those tracks...lol

Thanks! That's actually what I heard from some alumni as well. It always sort of throws me off when selective sites note in-person interviews are not that significant, because it seems hard to gauge someone's personality via phone.

For those with some interview experience -- any idea how to approach broad questions like "tell me about yourself". How much information do people typically convey about themselves versus wait for follow-up questions? (I don't want to spend 5 minutes rambling about myself and relevant training, if that's not what they are really asking).

For those with some interview experience -- any idea how to approach broad questions like "tell me about yourself". How much information do people typically convey about themselves versus wait for follow-up questions? (I don't want to spend 5 minutes rambling about myself and relevant training, if that's not what they are really asking).
They are mostly interested in knowing the size of your dong.

Reactions: 3 users
Did the person who got an interview at UNC SOM indicate which track they had applied for or was it across tracks for e-mail?
I'm pretty sure it was across tracks. I received the same and it did not specify tracks. I applied for TEACCH and CIDD.

Can I ask, what track did you apply to?

Edit: Just saw the other comments…..bummer was hoping for this site…. oh well

I know this is written elsewhere so sorry about the repost/laziness on my end, but will someone please tell me how many interviews (on average), minimally, puts one in the "safe zone" for being matched?

TYIA.

Anyone else dealing with mainly rejection and only have 1 interview?

Is there etiquette on replying to rejection emails? Do people do it? Are there pros/cons to doing it or not?

Is there etiquette on replying to rejection emails? Do people do it? Are there pros/cons to doing it or not?

I, personally, would not. This is an insanely busy time for most training directors. They are not looking for additional e-mails to maybe respond to.

I know this is written elsewhere so sorry about the repost/laziness on my end, but will someone please tell me how many interviews (on average), minimally, puts one in the "safe zone" for being matched?

TYIA.

APPIC Stats from last year from http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2015Part2.aspx

Number of interview offers received:
1 to 2 interviews Match rate = 57% n = 343
3 to 4 interviews Match rate = 79% n = 459
5 to 6 interviews Match rate = 91% n = 502
7 to 8 interviews Match rate = 94% n = 463
9 to 10 interviews Match rate = 97% n = 318
11 or more interviews Match rate = 99% n = 522

Reactions: 3 users