APPIC 2024- 2025 Clinical Psychology Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroMal

Reaction score
Here we go, folks! Please use this thread to share information about the 2024- 2025 APPIC internship interview invitations. You're more than welcome to PM me the information to stay anonymous and I'll post it for you!

Please use the following format-

Official Site Name:
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Date Invitation Received:
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email):
Interview Dates Offered:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to all of you! Just remember, no matter how many rejections versus acceptances you all receive, y’all are amazing! It’s a tough time right now but you guys got this! Sending all the positive thoughts to y’all 🥰

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Kings County Hospital
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child Track
Date Invitation Received: 11/7/23
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): NMS Email
Interview Dates Offered: 12/4, 12/5, 12/8, 12/11

Reactions: 2 users
On APPIC it says Henry ford will do virtual interviews but on their website it says in person. Anyone has clarification on this?

I am going to but wanted to check if anyone has already done it.
Honestly, you need to see Henry Ford in person. I went to school in the Detroit area and did a practicum interview there. My post-doc interview for that site was virtual. I'm going to say, the practicum interview experience was way better.

Reactions: 1 user
Official Site Name: NYU-Bellevue
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology
Date Invitation Received: 11/9/23
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): NMS Email, personal email
Interview Dates Offered: 11/27, 12/4, 12/15

I know it's added expense, but I'd urge everyone to visit any site that you are ranking. Being at sites in person drastically changed my rankings.
I remember that there were a few programs during my PhD program search that this was the case for, but I also remember how much that same process was a financial burden back then. I can't imagine doing the last minute holiday-adjacent travel with travel lately - a funeral recently cost my husband and I $2k in flights just because of the short notice.

A number of sites have explicitly stated they won't allow site visits prior to the match at all, in order to avoid making applicants who are unable to do so worry that not doing so will negatively impact their chances. A few have suggested sight-seeing the area, or stated they're happy to host after the match. That doesn't address the issue you raise, but I don't know the solution and I don't know any interns eager to take out $10-15k in loans for travel costs to 5-10 or more interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I know it's added expense, but I'd urge everyone to visit any site that you are ranking. Being at sites in person drastically changed my rankings.
I respectfully disagree. Folks typically are more than fine to live places for a year. I loved my site (#2 choice) but knew I would hate the city. I haven’t met a single person in the immediate years around my intern year or in my intern year who said something about the actual site not conveyed well during the zoom interview would have changed their ranks.

Good sites can/will have tons of information and videos about their training clinics, the overall setting, the city/town, etc. It’s not the same as in-person visits, but not worth the thousands of dollars at all, IMO.

I respectfully disagree. Folks typically are more than fine to live places for a year. I loved my site (#2 choice) but knew I would hate the city. I haven’t met a single person in the immediate years around my intern year or in my intern year who said something about the actual site not conveyed well during the zoom interview would have changed their ranks.

Good sites can/will have tons of information and videos about their training clinics, the overall setting, the city/town, etc. It’s not the same as in-person visits, but not worth the thousands of dollars at all, IMO.

Disagreement noted, but I wasn't talking about the physical location. I also agree that you can live anywhere for a year for good training. There are things about sites and vibes that do not come through in zoom interviews. To each their own, I just think applicants miss a lot by not being there. Virtual visits were always easier for us as a site, as the interviews rarely did anything to change rankings anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some programs, including mine, are only doing virtual interviews so a visit is pointless unless you literally want to do sightseeing and apartment shop (do not recommend).

I imagine there are sites that offer in person or nothing (declining to apply for cost reasons is 100000% legit) and some that offer both (and you get to decide).

The biggest benefit of interviews is to explore the 'vibe' of the program and better understand their philosophy for training (including things such as whether current interns appear happy and are glad they matched here, whether staff look like they want to be there and have the mental bandwidth to participate in the interview process, if things appear organized, if potential supervisors appear competent and seem like people you'd want to work with).

And you get to ask questions that aren't clarified in the brochure such as how things actually function so that you can determine how well the program fits your desired needs.

As Wisneuro said, interviews don't move the needle a ton for programs and their ultimate ranking, unless you have uncontrolled axis 2 traits or exhibit nonethical decision making or you share anecdotes that suggests you would likely be very difficult or unpleasant to work with (the 'tell me about a time you experienced conflict' question).

A well-run program putting together a thoughtful interview day should allow interns a chance to accomplish all of the above and more both virtually and in person. There would likely be more clarity in-person in terms of your response to the site since you just literally spent 4-6 hours with these people and committed hundreds of dollars to be there.

A program that 'has something to hide' (e.g., they treat their interns as workhorses and put training secondary to patient care, punitive supervision is the norm which then creates a culture of mistrust, there is massive disorganization/chaos) may do a better job of shielding an applicant from these realities via Teams. But that can also be strategically accomplished for in-persons if desired.

I remember flying out all the way to central California for a pre-pandemic interview with a Kaiser site and my interview consisted of a rushed 30 mins individual interview with a disinterested staff psychologist who was reviewing my application for first time during the interview and a 10 min tour of the office building by an intern who couldn't wait to finish and just gave me generic answers about their experience.

I did not rank them and I'm sure that experience would have been similar virtually.

So it seems like the "interview notification date" listed by sites is really the latest date they would offer (/the first date it would be appropriate to inquire), but they may offer sooner?

So it seems like the "interview notification date" listed by sites is really the latest date they would offer (/the first date it would be appropriate to inquire), but they may offer sooner?
Yes, some sites review and notify on a rolling basis while others review all applications at once and then usually notify in one wave.

Some sites may also notify 'waitlisted' after the deadline if some of their invited candidates decline.

Regardless, sites may finish early and notify before their deadline and some may get behind.

If it's been multiple weeks after a deadline, you can always inquire with a site about your specific status.

I'm finding that weekends, while restful from workload, are now grating because I know I won't receive any updates from programs :rofl:

I'm finding that weekends, while restful from workload, are now grating because I know I won't receive any updates from programs :rofl:
What I did last year was to go through the threads and the spreadsheets from other applicants in previous years and looked at when each program tended to send out invitations and when they held interviews. Then I mapped out when they would be doing this for last year so I knew when to expect invites (if I hypothetically would get one) and how I could fit in as many interviews as possible, especially to make sure I could fit in my top 5 sites. I had about a 90% hit rate and was able to schedule all 12 interviews without any conflicts. It also allowed me to schedule in my top 3 later in the process so that my lower ranked programs could also be somewhat of rehearsals for the important ones. It ended up being a very good use of my time and I got my #1 rank, which is also where I'll be doing post doc next year.

Disagreement noted, but I wasn't talking about the physical location. I also agree that you can live anywhere for a year for good training. There are things about sites and vibes that do not come through in zoom interviews. To each their own, I just think applicants miss a lot by not being there. Virtual visits were always easier for us as a site, as the interviews rarely did anything to change rankings anyway.
I don’t disagree that in theory in-person interviews are nice - they really are! I’m just mind-boggled talking to faculty I know who are 3-5 years out of post-doc and still digging out of the credit card debt they incurred from all the in-person internship and post-doc interviews… I’m glad COVID allowed me to dodge that financial crap show. Also I’m a firm believer in-person interviews also contribute to inequalities for applicants needing childcare/eldercare, who have disabilities that make traveling difficult, etc., but I digress.

I’m hopeful sites provide applicants with tons of info and pictures/videos of the clinics and city like my top 5-10 sites did… it shows they go the extra mile and at least for where I landed the info they sent was spot on with that things were like in-person. The climate of the zoom interview was also fun and entirely consistent with how the team was in-person for my matched site. 😃

Haha this is generally true but also something like 3-4 of my 15 sites actually did send interview invites on weekends (one even on the Friday after Thanksgiving… LOL). It’s hard to balance rest and I recommend setting reminders to check email a few times per day vs. obsessively checking every few hours like I did. 🤪

I don’t disagree that in theory in-person interviews are nice - they really are! I’m just mind-boggled talking to faculty I know who are 3-5 years out of post-doc and still digging out of the credit card debt they incurred from all the in-person internship and post-doc interviews… I’m glad COVID allowed me to dodge that financial crap show. Also I’m a firm believer in-person interviews also contribute to inequalities for applicants needing childcare/eldercare, who have disabilities that make traveling difficult, etc., but I digress.

I’m hopeful sites provide applicants with tons of info and pictures/videos of the clinics and city like my top 5-10 sites did… it shows they go the extra mile and at least for where I landed the info they sent was spot on with that things were like in-person. The climate of the zoom interview was also fun and entirely consistent with how the team was in-person for my matched site. 😃

I'm boggled too. Budgeting and planning can obviate most of that burden. Stacking interviews when possible, public transportation, room sharing, etc are all options. It can be done pretty cheaply. Personally, I'm incredibly thankful that I visited sites. In the end, it greatly changed my rankings, moving sites to the top, where I ultimately matched for both internship and postdoc. My life would be much different otherwise, and I likely would have missed out on some very lucrative opportunities and relationships down the road.

Official Site Name: Rush University Medical Center/Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Health Psych
Date Invitation Received: 11/10
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): email
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8-1/12

Official Site Name: Rush University Medical Center/Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Health Psych
Date Invitation Received: 11/10
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8-1/12
Rush was a great interview and I ranked it pretty high.

If a site called me yesterday but didn't leave a voicemail and called me from the main line, should I wait to hear something today or call the training staff listed on their website? I don't want to be annoying but don't want to miss anything!

If a site called me yesterday but didn't leave a voicemail and called me from the main line, should I wait to hear something today or call the training staff listed on their website? I don't want to be annoying but don't want to miss anything!
I think I might wait 24 hours from the time they called and then if I hadn't heard anything, send an email following up to ask about the missed call!

Official Site Name: Cincinnati Children's Hospital
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Acute Care
Date Invitation Received: 11/14
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): phone
Interview Dates Offered: 12/8, 12/11

I ended up matching to a workhorse site with some false promises and would say in hindsight, with some reading in between the lines, this was also consistent with the interview I had online.

In reflecting with my internship class, there were signs in the interview: a somewhat stiff and less than warm DCT, less personalized day and interviews, less flexibility in comparison to other sites (i.e., other sites would say things like, if we don't have it, we'll make a reasonable effort to accomodate, but this site just redirected us to the experiences in the brochure). It was nothing objectively bad or distasteful, everything was pleasant enough via Teams, and site was very impressive, so none of this really seemed like a problem at the time.

This is all Monday morning quarterbacking and you don't know what you don't know, but, in short, my biggest advice for folks is to lean into your gut when it comes to the vibes on virtual interviews! This is sites putting their best foot forward. It was imprudent for me to explain away things that felt "off" in the spirit of optimism and my strong desire to match. Trust your gut!

Reactions: 3 users
I ended up matching to a workhorse site with some false promises and would say in hindsight, with some reading in between the lines, this was also consistent with the interview I had online.

In reflecting with my internship class, there were signs in the interview: a somewhat stiff and less than warm DCT, less personalized day and interviews, less flexibility in comparison to other sites (i.e., other sites would say things like, if we don't have it, we'll make a reasonable effort to accomodate, but this site just redirected us to the experiences in the brochure). It was nothing objectively bad or distasteful, everything was pleasant enough via Teams, and site was very impressive, so none of this really seemed like a problem at the time.

This is all Monday morning quarterbacking and you don't know what you don't know, but, in short, my biggest advice for folks is to lean into your gut when it comes to the vibes on virtual interviews! This is sites putting their best foot forward. It was imprudent for me to explain away things that felt "off" in the spirit of optimism and my strong desire to match. Trust your gut!
And if you come out of an interview day feeling uncertain or you just want more info/clarity, please ask for the email/contact info of current interns or additional staff.

I did that (to get more info) and the follow-up conversations with the 2 current interns who would be doing what I wanted to do helped convince me to rank that site 1st. I matched there and my experience was largely what they experienced and what I was anticipating so I'm really glad I reached out further.

And this was pre-pandemic so I was there in person but the interview day wasn't very well organized IMO so I came out of it feeling pretty good about the site overall but lacked important clarity/specifics/depth for ranking purposes.

My site has our interns (who are agreeable) to share their emails when they meet alone virtually with new applicants during our interview day.

If a site rejects requests for further contact, I wouldn't rule them out but it would give me some odd/bad vibes.

Official Site Name: University of Chicago Medicine
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Health
Date Invitation Received: 11/15
Interview Dates Offered: 12/8, 12/15, 1/5, 1/19

Hey y'all..need a spot of advice. I f*ed up a bit with an internship application in that I applied to the correct site on AAPI, but used the wrong brochure to draft my cover letter (there were multiple brochures for one site, one for the VA and one for the consortium which includes the VA, among others). The placements and rotations are different enough that it'll confuse the reviewing committee.

Will sending the TD an updated letter bring negative attention to this oversight? Is it worth it given that i demonstrated lack of attention to detail due to my confusion? I'm big on accountability and even if the initial oversight reflects poorly on me, i would like to fix it..just not sure that it would matter at this point.

Hey y'all..need a spot of advice. I f*ed up a bit with an internship application in that I applied to the correct site on AAPI, but used the wrong brochure to draft my cover letter (there were multiple brochures for one site, one for the VA and one for the consortium which includes the VA, among others). The placements and rotations are different enough that it'll confuse the reviewing committee.

Will sending the TD an updated letter bring negative attention to this oversight? Is it worth it given that i demonstrated lack of attention to detail due to my confusion? I'm big on accountability and even if the initial oversight reflects poorly on me, i would like to fix it..just not sure that it would matter at this point.

Send an email with the appropriate cover letter. We understand that these things happen. I've had applications where this was corrected. Looks a lot better than someone who sent the wrong cover letter in with no fix.

Reactions: 5 users
Send an email with the appropriate cover letter. We understand that these things happen. I've had applications where this was corrected. Looks a lot better than someone who sent the wrong cover letter in with no fix.
I was hoping you'd respond. Thanks for f/b Wis...will be fixing it up asap.

To further follow-up, small mistakes/typos are fine and generally overlooked. We were all there, and we know what goes into the process. Heck, some of the old-timers had to do this all in paper form and mail out huge stacks of materials. So, small stuff is overlooked. However, when an application is riddled with mistakes and typos, that is noticed and flagged. As long as you're not the latter, I wouldn't worry about it.

Official Site Name:Mount Washington Pediatric hospital
Date Invitation Received: 11/16/2023
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): NMS Interview scheduling link
Interview Dates Offered: 1/2/24, 1/9/24, 1/16/2024

2024-2025 APPIC internship interview invitations.
2024-2025 Interview Spreadsheet

Last Yrs Link (Thank you @PsyDontWantToDoThis)
2023-2024 Interview Spreadsheet

Link from previous years (Thanks to @loveroflinehanandresick)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vZ-GqazsCx-kUv8GLR33IgnDPfVZlNbO/edit#gid=1003449805
This spreadsheet is amazing and so helpful! I am having a hard time figuring out how to contribute/edit it though, even when I'm logged in to my SDN account. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks so much!

This spreadsheet is amazing and so helpful! I am having a hard time figuring out how to contribute/edit it though, even when I'm logged in to my SDN account. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks so much!
I think you need to be logged in to your Google account.

it frequently freezes up because so many people are on it. It’s not you, just a lot of folks wanting information during an intense process.

Good Morning,
I have seen interviews sent out, however have not received a rejection from several sites. Is this typical? Does this mean that it is certainly a rejection?

Good Morning,
I have seen interviews sent out, however have not received a rejection from several sites. Is this typical? Does this mean that it is certainly a rejection?
Sending sentiments of support because this process is a rollercoaster that, respectfully, id like to get off of asap.. I hope youre hanging in there.

To answer your question my impression is that it may likely be a rejection but its not over til you get the notification. I saw that peds neuro received invites from Dartmouth and presumed a rejection, but ended up being invited for adult neuro the next day. On the other hand i saw MGH sent out invites and i didn't hear from them, so im presuming a rejection. I think it depends on the site and the timing but id really wait on the final notice to count yourself out.

does anyone have insights as to why programs that only send out one wave of invites don't just reject us? It seems really mean/inefficient to keep us hanging.

Also, this entire process is riddled with inefficiencies and inequities, and it's *so* frustrating.

Reactions: 3 users
Good Morning,
My site will send rejections but way later in the process. Sometimes people with invites won't respond or confirm a date. Sometimes people will cancel later on.

When I applied, there were like half a dozen of sites that I never heard anything from so some sites will never contact folks.

If it's past their official deadline & people are also reporting receiving interviews, you should probably mentally mark it as a probably not for you.

If you have questions, reach out to the TD for clarification since lack of clarity is super frustrating. Good luck to all!

My site will send rejections but way later in the process. Sometimes people with invites won't respond or confirm a date. Sometimes people will cancel later on.

When I applied, there were like half a dozen of sites that I never heard anything from so some sites will never contact folks.

If it's past their official deadline & people are also reporting receiving interviews, you should probably mentally mark it as a probably not for you.

If you have questions, reach out to the TD for clarification since lack of clarity is super frustrating. Good luck to all!
Thank you for responding!

Hey Wis - got rejected unfortunately but its a lesson learned! I figured it wasn't the best indication of my attention to detail but Im feeling very grateful for my current interviews and will just chalk it up to "wasn't meant to be".

Official Site Name: University of Vermont Medical Center Psychology Internship
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Track
Date Invitation Received: 12/04/23
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Mass email
Interview Dates Offered: 12/14, 1/12

Official Site Name: Connecticut VA
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Health Psych Track
Date Invitation Received: 1/28/23
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Mass email
Interview Dates Offered: 1/4

does anyone have insights as to why programs that only send out one wave of invites don't just reject us? It seems really mean/inefficient to keep us hanging.

Also, this entire process is riddled with inefficiencies and inequities, and it's *so* frustrating.
Yes. Fully agree!!!