2015-2016 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt. Please PM me the secondary info once it's available.

From the previous cycle (it may be different this year):
MD Essays (Statement of Intent)
If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. 500 words

MD+JMP
UC Berkeley-UCSF Joint Medical Program (MS/MD) combines the resources of two major campuses to allow more extended, individualized pre-clerkship studies with the completion of the Master's thesis involving an in-depth research project, in addition to the medical degree. The JMP core medical curriculum makes full use of case-based problem oriented learning in small groups. Please prepare a two-part essay describing the following:
Please describe the basis for your interest in and your preparations for the MS with research thesis. Given the opportunity to pursue such a degree, what topics, questions or areas of research might you be interested in addressing? 500 words

Please describe the basis of your interest and experience with small group, case based problem oriented learning. 500 words

MD+PRIME
Please describe your experiences with underserved communities, community-based work, leadership roles, and commitment to working with the urban underserved. 500 words

PRIME-US requires a commitment above and beyond the regular medical school curriculum. You will be expected to spend time participating in small group activities and engaging with underserved communities in the Bay Area. Please answer the following questions:

How will you balance PRIME-US with your academic responsibilities and personal life? 250 words

MSTP Essays
Please describe in detail your most recent research project. 500 words
Please list publications, honors, and presentations resulting from your research experience. 500 words
Please describe briefly your reasons for applying to MSTP. 250 words

May the Force be with you!

:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Courtesy of Ms. Nutella:

Stats
*from interview day*
~7,000 applications
~2,500 secondaries
~ 500 interviews
~ 270 acceptances

Instate bias: At the interview, they made it clear that IS/OOS does not make a difference - both are accepted at about the same rate, but IS students matriculate in higher numbers. (information corroborated by @Ariodant)

Secondary Application (there is pre-screening)
Secondary application and status page
Prompts for secondary application 2014-2015 cycle (may be different this year):
  • If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 words)
Important dates (2014-2015)
First secondary: July 17th, 2014
First interview invite: September 3rd, 2014
First acceptance: December 18th, 2014 via email
First waitlist: December 18th, 2014 via email
First post-interview rejection: December 18th, 2014 via email
First acceptance off of waitlist: March 19th, 2015 via email

Interview

Two one-on-one interviews (either 1 student, 1 faculty or 2 faculty). Both are closed-file. According to Dean Wofsy on an interview day in 12/2014, the interviewer submits an evaluation and then can read an applicant’s file and subsequently append a note to their evaluation.

Curriculum

• Starting with the entering class of 2016, the Bridges curriculum will be implemented. This includes a 1.5-year preclinical phase, and Step 1 taken after clinicals.
  • UCSF has several longitudinal integrated clerkship (LIC) and “hybrid” programs that, for some students, replace some or all of the traditional block clerkships. PISCES (Parnassus campus) is a full LIC; KLIC (Oakland) is a hybrid; there are others as well.

Update Letter Policy:
Updates are not accepted pre-interview. Post-interview letters may be sent to: [email protected]. Applicants are not permitted to contact their interviewers post-interview.

Notes
  • As per interview day, UCSF hopes to cover any student fee increases (tuition + supplemental tuition)
  • The class of 2013’s average graduating debt was $118,442
  • Most out of state students can establish California residency after the first year.
  • Students receive a “code word” in their MSPE based on the number and length of clerkships where they received honors.
    • According to this evaluation of MSPEs, the UCSF superlatives are broken down into these percentiles: Outstanding 23%, Superior 10%, Excellent 66%, Very Good 1%, Good 0%.
  • Curious about the Match at UCSF? Check out these post-match student surveys.
UCSF_Medical_Center_and_Sutro_Tower_in_2008.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Super excited to be applying here! Good luck everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming M-1 here! Let me know if you have any questions :) Best of luck to you all!!

Is it true that UCSF doesn't look at academics when determining who it offers a secondary to? I think I read in either last years thread or the year before that adcoms offer a secondary based solely on your personal statement/activities

Secondary received!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Just received the secondary. I am shocked! I am so grateful for the opportunity :)

Reactions: 2 users
Does UCSF send an "AMCAS application received" e-mail before secondary invites?

Seems like the UCs are pretty fast this year. Haven't got any secondaries from them though :( officially nervous

Are you all OOS or IS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received!

This is an email that my palms got a little sweaty after seeing.

I can guarantee that their screening is not GPA based. . .

And I can guarantee it's not MCAT based :p

Secondary received!

Cawolf, good to see you again from the MCAT thread! Good luck, you deserve it!

If we didn't get a secondary, does that mean we were screened out? It's not rolling, right?

If we didn't get a secondary, does that mean we were screened out? It's not rolling, right?
Based on last year's thread, it's rolling. I wouldn't worry too much about not receiving one until like mid-August.

Secondary received!

Do you mind telling us when you submitted your AMCAS primary and when it was verified?

Secondary received!

Just received the secondary. I am shocked! I am so grateful for the opportunity :)

Yeah, mind telling us when you were verified? Feeling kinda disappointed :(

Cawolf, good to see you again from the MCAT thread! Good luck, you deserve it!

Hey, thanks! This is the first MD thread I have been posting in a lot. I have been focusing on a couple DO interviews I have coming up. Good luck!

Do you mind telling us when you submitted your AMCAS primary and when it was verified?

I was verified on 6/2, a few hours after it opened. I wouldn't worry yet, as said above, it seems that secondaries roll out slowly. No idea on the criteria.

Hey, thanks! This is the first MD thread I have been posting in a lot. I have been focusing on a couple DO interviews I have coming up. Good luck!

I was verified on 6/2, a few hours after it opened. I wouldn't worry yet, as said above, it seems that secondaries roll out slowly. No idea on the criteria.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't submit till 6/16 and wasn't verified until 7/7. Now I know that there is a chance that the reason I didn't get a secondary from them could be that the haven't got to my application or at least I hope :shrug: .

I spoke to a very friendly and helpful person at UCSF admissions several weeks back. She told me that the first screen is to make sure that you are academically capable. She also mentioned that they will be sending out more secondaries this year than last year. So, it appears safe to assume that if you get a secondary they know you can handle the course load!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone OOS receive the secondary?

Did their prompts stay the same as last years @Cawolf . Last question bud I promise :laugh:

Yes, looks the same as first post here, for MD at least.

There is also a little box where you can answer this:

"Applicants are interviewed by invitation only. Please note that we do not conduct regional interviews. Interviews are scheduled from September to February (days vary). Please let us know if you will be out of the country during the interview season.

I will be out of the country - provide additional info below (e.g. dates, best way to contact, etc.)"

Also, submitted. Did anyone else who submitted have their letters missing? I am assuming they did not download them yet.

:thumbup:

Last edited:
@Cawolf: Is there any additional instruction regarding letters of recommendation? I know their website says "3-5 letters of recommendation, including at least two letters from your instructors," and I was wondering if it's the same / if there are any other specifications. Thanks :)

@Cawolf: Is there any additional instruction regarding letters of recommendation? I know their website says "3-5 letters of recommendation, including at least two letters from your instructors," and I was wondering if it's the same / if there are any other specifications. Thanks :)

It just says the same thing.

+2 OOS, 33/cGPA 3.82, sGPA 3.78. Verified June 10

oh my gosshhh can't believe this!! definitely a reach school for meee

so jeals of all y'all! still crossing fingers here

+2 OOS, 33/cGPA 3.82, sGPA 3.78. Verified June 10

oh my gosshhh can't believe this!! definitely a reach school for meee
I read that as "Verified July 10", was about develop them feels lol

For those who have submitted it early (as in, verified before Jul 1) and have not received the secondary, is it over?

For those who have submitted it early (as in, verified before Jul 1) and have not received the secondary, is it over?
Yes, it is over. completely out and done. bye bye, so long, farewell.

...it is only mid-July. How are you going to make it through the rest of the year with patience like that??? we have NO idea in what order apps are being screened. c'mon honey

Has anyone who submitted had their letters marked as received?

Yes, it is over. completely out and done. bye bye, so long, farewell.

...it is only mid-July. How are you going to make it through the rest of the year with patience like that??? we have NO idea in what order apps are being screened. c'mon honey

I'm a generally accepting, thick-skinned person, but...

Oh please. Get off your high horse and take your sass elsewhere.

(referencing this and multiple other posts by @G.NA )

Reactions: 3 users
lmao, i've noticed people getting rustled at g.na's tone but I dont think is malicious. ya'll need to lighten up

lmao, i've noticed people getting rustled at g.na's tone but I dont think is malicious. ya'll need to lighten up

You may be right; I just felt the need to speak up because I hadn't seen anything yet. @G.NA I apologize if the message of my post above is getting old or even hurtful--that's not my intention.

ya'll need to lighten up
You may be right; I just felt the need to speak up because I hadn't seen anything yet. @G.NA I apologize if the message of my post above is getting old or even hurtful--that's not my intention.
Quoted for emphasis. the process is long enough that fussing over weeklong delays in mid-July is not good for anyone's health. I am willing to sound like a bossy bitch if it can even go three yards in getting people to calm down.

my skin is thick enough to withstand some random anonymous gripes on the Internet. hopefully others can do the same ;)

Last edited: