2015 MCAT Unjustifiable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

listener23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The MCAT is considered one of the most flawless pre-pressonioal standardize test. It not like the old format was even mastered yet, in fact the percentile dipped a little between 2012 and 2013. Basically There is no justifiable reason to change the MCAT. I think if all the premeds ( or a very large number of them ) get organize and create some type of online petition we can stop this thing. We could even use this website http://www.change.org/petition , thoughts? Would you sign something like this or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Unjustifiable to whom? The new MCAT has been discussed, justified and accepted as the MCAT starting next Jan. If you don't like it, you are free not to take it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We need to contact AAMC and tell them we have a premed here who is so informed and knowledgeable about medical education, that he can inform them as to the best way to design and administer the exam. They'll love to meet this brilliant mind!

Reactions: 11 users
Ok, now your just trolling. Whats up with all your threads lol!

We need to contact AAMC and tell them we have a premed here who is so informed and knowledgeable about medical education, that he can inform them as to the best way to design and administer the exam. They'll love to meet this brilliant mind!

they already know the best way, they have been doing it since 2003

Reactions: 1 users
I think this thread is a great example in support of a "pay-to-post" system. I see no other way of ending the endless absurdities from coming up again and again.

Reactions: 5 users
You don't think any facet of medical education may have possibly changed in the span of 11 years?

None that require undergrads to be tested on social sciences

Members don't see this ad :)
None that require undergrads to be tested on social sciences
Based on what data or information? Please enlighten me on how you could possibly be aware of exactly what medical students need to be successful and why your opinion is more informed than that of the AAMC test designers.

Dude please leave you clearly don't want to add anything to this thread. Just go....
Nah, not really something that you can decide.

The thread is a bottomless sink anyway - there is no way to add to it, regardless of what I want or not.

Guys I'm asking you nicely to please stop replying to my threads
tumblr_lqcxr3DUxB1qht847.gif

Is it just me, or has this been one of the worst days in pre-allo history. With these threads, rifle's threads, and @PurpleLove to boot...I just don't know about this place anymore...

Is it just me, or has this been one of the worst days in pre-allo history. With these threads, rifle's threads, and @PurpleLove to boot...I just don't know about this place anymore...
It's close to the end of admission season, close to the end of the quarter (at least for some schools), almost a full moon and who knows close to what else. When would one play with the trolls if not tonight?

You are a troll who just wants to shoot down any an all my ideas. Just stop replying
I'm requesting some real data which backs up your stance. Please give us something to work with so that we may have a real discussion.

This has been years in the making. They're not going to all of a sudden just go back to the way things were just because a bunch of pre-meds don't want to take the new MCAT.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm requesting some real data which backs up your stance. Please give us something to work with so that we may have a real discussion.
Never waste your time explaining yourself to people who are committed to misunderstanding you. - dream hampton

This has been years in the making. They're not going to all of a sudden just go back to the way things were just because a bunch of pre-meds don't want to take the new MCAT.

true but wouldn't it be interesting if the pre-meds get really organize and completely boycott the exam.

Last edited:
Never waste your time explaining yourself to people who are committed to misunderstanding you. - dream hampton
It it so very transparent in your posts that you have no clue what is best for premed education. Why make a thread about a topic that you have no understanding of?

true but wouldn't it be interesting if the pre-meds get really organize and complete boycott the exam.
There will always be other pre-meds eager to take the exam and eager to take your spot in medical school. Furthermore, the logic behind your claim that there is no reasonable explanation for changing the MCAT is flawed. They're not changing the MCAT to make a better exam; they're changing it in an attempt to get better applicants and medical students.

Didn't you already take the MCAT and get accepted to 2 schools............

Hmm... this protest is predicated on the notion, at least implicitly, that with a few thousand signatures premeds will rise up and scare the AAMC, making them really question whether they have enough qualified applicants left over to fill all the medical schools? :laugh:

Even if we assume that you got 25% of the test takers to boycott the new test (~22,000), causing a steep decline in medical school applications in a few years, medical schools could completely fill their classes with qualified students who could handle the work, graduate on time, and match.

I cannot ever imagine a scenario in the next many decades where this process suddenly becomes an applicants' market.

You are a troll who just wants to shoot down any an all my ideas. Just stop replying

The @listener23 method

1) Create a new thread
2) Add some controversial/flame/trollish viewpoints
3) Enjoy people watching it with disdain
4) Pretend to be mad and demand they leave
5) Act furious when they ignore
6) Demand the mods to close the thread
7) Repeat step 1

Reactions: 10 users
The MCAT is considered one of the most flawless pre-pressonioal standardize test. It not like the old format was even mastered yet, in fact the percentile dipped a little between 2012 and 2013. Basically There is no justifiable reason to change the MCAT. I think if all the premeds ( or a very large number of them ) get organize and create some type of online petition we can stop this thing. We could even use this website http://www.change.org/petition , thoughts? Would you sign something like this or not?

You're late, bro. This test development and implementation process has been in place since you were in middle school. Now please stop taking extreme positions about topics that you do not fully understand.

https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/mr5/

How can one person make so many annoying threads?

Just curious, are you always this wrong, or just today?

By who?

It's spring break guys.

The MCAT is considered one of the most flawless pre-pressonioal standardize test. It not like the old format was even mastered yet, in fact the percentile dipped a little between 2012 and 2013. Basically There is no justifiable reason to change the MCAT.

Who considers this test flawless? You? Two semesters of organic chemistry is completely forgotten once in medical school and the applicable portion is covered in 1 biochem lecture. There are extremely limited examples of doing calculations in the style that comprises the physical sciences section.

The people in charge of medical education are realizing a trend and believe it's valuable to test pre-med students on social sciences -- an aptitude that is deemed to be lacking in medicine. Additionally, they realize that downplaying organic chem and focusing on biochem would be more practical for medicine.

The MCAT functions to test ones dedication to learning a substantial volume of information and apply it. It tests intellectual aptitude and the ability to learn pre-med sciences suggests you can learn pre-clinical sciences to pass Step 1. It's precious to see pre-med thinking that somehow correlates to being a great clinical physician. Having a understanding of social sciences and the humanities tests the other, less analytical part about being a physician. It's not all general chemistry and reciting the Krebs cycle and the test is now going to perhaps slightly more reflect this. It's being changed for a reason...

I guess I am in the minority here... I think the MCAT should only have the BS and PS. They should leave of the other nonsense out of it... Hey! I don't have to take it anymore; therefore, I can say whatever I want... @ listener23: Suck it up and take the test... Sorry kiddo!

I think this is the first and only listener thread I agree with. The new MCAT is stupid. You can't quantifiably test for social skills.

I guess I am in the minority here... I think the MCAT should only have the BS and PS. They should leave of the other nonsense out of it... Hey! I don't have to take it anymore; therefore, I can say whatever I want... @ listener23: Suck it up and take the test... Sorry kiddo!

Im actually taking the 2014 one. I just didn't understand the reason to change it ....

Honestly I was kind of bummed about not taking the new MCAT. I think it makes sense to have an added focus on social sciences and I'll be curious to see how it affects MCAT averages

I took the MCAT last year and therefore was included on that "Take the practice section for the 2015 MCAT at the end and receive a giftcard!" thing. For those who didn't take it, it was pretty much a slightly more objective Verbal section. I took a three-credit, 100-level sociology course and a three-credit, 100-level psych course my freshman year (4 years prior) to that MCAT. The only reason I (bio major) took them was to fulfill liberal arts requirements, and they were very easy courses to complete. On the MCAT, I scored in the 80th percentile on that "prospective" section. So if those passages truly reflect what the 2015 MCAT new sections will include (using myself as a case-study :) ), I predict that the new section really won't have that huge of an impact on MCAT scores, and it still isn't testing any "new" material.

The huge problem: can we ever create a standardized test that TRULY evaluates a future physician? The answer seems to be a tugowar for leveling the platform between undergrad universities (especially important for those that inflate GPAs) and an inability to test subjective people/social skills.

Last edited:
Yea Im thinking 15,000 - 25,000 signature would do it

Even if this was a well thought out idea and you had data backing you up, this wouldn't do it at all. You know how many people take the MCAT and apply to medical school each year, right?