2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread is like my safety zone/reality check. I'm starting to recognize and root for a few of you (@Leslie_Knope and @juliuspepperwood, especially). I've completed 15 secondaries so far (ok, I'm counting Mayo, so its really 14) and have 4 more to do as of right now. My last letters just came in this week, so I'm not complete everywhere yet. We can do this, y'all! Just keep swimming!
Thanks! Yea I think we have a good little group here, it's nice in the craziness that is the application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Alright, I'm applying to Columbia-Bassett. Aim high folks. Aim high...

Reactions: 5 users
Alright, I'm applying to Columbia-Bassett. Aim high folks. Aim high...
Get it!

Secondary update: I've finished 30! Only a couple more to go... and let's keep waiting!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received secondaries at every school I applied to. Pretty shocked I made it past screening at UCLA.

Received secondaries at every school I applied to. Pretty shocked I made it past screening at UCLA.
Nice! I haven't gotten any from UCSF, UCLA or UCSD yet, but I did slip through Vandy's screening somehow.

Nice! I haven't gotten any from UCSF, UCLA or UCSD yet, but I did slip through Vandy's screening somehow.
I decided against applying to UCSD because it is effectively applying out-of-state for me since its too far from family and wifes job. So I made it through UCI/UCR/UCLA screening. I doubt I have a real shot at these though with the people who have already been rejected having way better MCAT then me.

I decided against applying to UCSD because it is effectively applying out-of-state for me since its too far from family and wifes job. So I made it through UCI/UCR/UCLA screening. I doubt I have a real shot at these though with the people who have already been rejected having way better MCAT then me.

Hey, if you made it through screening you have a shot!

Got UCSF done and submitted today, surprisingly light lifting there. Colorado however is a 2000 word ball buster.

As for the hypothetical random acceptance; I'd take it in a second to have the certainty. With 22 secondaries in I'm starting to stress about interviews already. Trying to figure out timing for purchasing a suit, need to coordinate with my "queer eye team" but two of the 3 have started at PA and Dental programs now so getting a day with the three could be interesting. Vasalating between worrying I won't get any interviews and that I'll get way more than I can afford to attend....

Tomorrow i'm hiking saddle mountain just to get my mind off it all.
Would be great to be able to put names to faces at interview stops some time, I guess stranger things have happened.

SUBMITTED PHOENIX! Finally, almost done with Tucson, then I think the ball will start rolling. Woo hoo!

Since I'm still waiting for my MCAT score to arrive, I am prewriting secondaries and am wondering if you guys ended up reusing things that you talked about in your primary. For instance: how have you helped your community...I discussed my significant volunteering with one particular organization in both this secondary and in my primary....but I did completely re-wrote the section so none of the sentences are the same and I focused on how this organization truly helps the community. Is this OK?
Another example (diff school) is the 'what are you passionate about' I am debating using some of one of my significant experiences and presenting it in a different light ie. focusing more on why I'm passionate about it rather than what I have done because of that passion. Is this OK or do I need to come up with something entirely new? :nailbiting:

I am just getting started on these and I already feel like I'm going to continue running into this problem. :(

Just submitted UCR/UCLA. Officially done w/ secondaries. Now the waiting game begins.

Keep up the good work guys and girls! Here we come C/O 2019!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
11/22, half way done. I hope to make a significant dent in the rest of them over the weekend.

Received VCU secondary. Must send USC and Columbia today. No excuses! I've had them written, but I'm just letting them marinate.

Received VCU secondary. Must send USC and Columbia today. No excuses! I've had them written, but I'm just letting them marinate.
Anything between now and early Monday morning should be the same - the adcoms won't be reading them over the weekend. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
I'm glad VCU lowered the limit on their essay - 8000 characters last year was way too much.

My morning.
That's Mt. Hood and Bonneville dam in the background.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 29
That is from Table Mountain, just north of Bonneville. about a 2 hour hike in, bordering on rock climbing at the top.

I love Seattle, choice between UW and OHSU would be hard. Luckily UW seems to hate Oregonians more than most others so I am unlikely to have to make that choice.

I love Seattle, choice between UW and OHSU would be hard. Luckily UW seems to hate Oregonians more than most others so I am unlikely to have to make that choice.
Yeah if I had the opportunity and other things were more equal I would jump on UW

Hi Everyone! Jumping in on the non-trad forum a little late. Lovin the positivity here. Just wrapped up THIRTY friggin secondaries yesterday. Still waiting on UCSF, UCLA, and Drexel. Already have one, possibly two super quick rejections. It's all good though. All I need is one school to give me a shot!

Any non-trads with an II yet? Looking through the school specific threads where I've applied and seeing IIs while I haven't heard anything has me anxious :(. I keep telling myself it's still super early but that doesn't help - it's gonna be a lonnngggg fall/winter lol.

Any non-trads with an II yet? Looking through the school specific threads where I've applied and seeing IIs while I haven't heard anything has me anxious :(. I keep telling myself it's still super early but that doesn't help - it's gonna be a lonnngggg fall/winter lol.
It is super early! Don't fret. I'm feeling anxious too and want to apply to more schools but what's done is done... and now we wait!

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised you're seeing IIs. Most don't send till a specific date. A lot are August 1st at the earliest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually surprised you're seeing IIs. Most don't send till a specific date. A lot are August 1st at the earliest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think there are some very early IIs out there, but it's like n<5, so these folks are very early. I don't know about y'all but I don't have a 4.0 and 40 MCAT, so I don't expect to be one of the first!

Nothin here but it's insanely early. I figure my uh...unique application will need a little extra time and thought anyway. Though I did already get one (and possibly two) post-secondary rejection. So that broke the ice there!

I have a II at UNMC, but so do many others, they simply give them out early at that school but that's it. I'm still working on my secondaries for 5 schools out of 19. On hold at one due to a LOR not signing their letter...

Hypothetical, if one random school said they would accept you right now if you didn't go to any other interviews, would you take it? Or would you want to see what happens and (hopefully) get other interviews and other offers?

My wife Has been asking me this a lot recently

IN A HEARTBEAT!!

I keep seeing people with interviews, at schools I've applied to, and freaking out thinking I should have at least one by now and something must be wrong....then I see people getting rejections already and I'm thankful that I don't have any of them yet...only 5/28 schools that I haven't gotten secondaries from yet including some that I really expected pre-secondary rejections from.

It's just early early early. I was looking at UC-Irvine's status page and they say they should make a decision by April 1st, so there's that too.

SECONDARY DAY! Going to bust out a bunch today

Reactions: 5 users
It is super early! Don't fret. I'm feeling anxious too and want to apply to more schools but what's done is done... and now we wait!

I hear ya on wanting to add more schools. But you're right, just gotta hope for the best now!

I have a II at UNMC, but so do many others, they simply give them out early at that school but that's it. I'm still working on my secondaries for 5 schools out of 19. On hold at one due to a LOR not signing their letter...

Congrats! I'm down to 2/19 secondaries left, hoping to finish them this weekend.

I sent VCU off. Just need to polish two more and then pre-write Utah.

I'm going camping tonight though. Should be nice to get away from it all.

Not sure why I decided to apply to brown as it's super low yield for people not already in their programs, but their secondary was a beast and a half... 3 down 37 to go lmao.

Just finished Tucson and wake forest! Woohoo! 3 down!

Not sure why I decided to apply to brown as it's super low yield for people not already in their programs, but their secondary was a beast and a half... 3 down 37 to go lmao.
Someone mentioned that Brown is actually a good idea for non-trads. All the students that they get from their other programs are more or less traditional by definition, so they yield is not so bad for us.

Someone mentioned that Brown is actually a good idea for non-trads. All the students that they get from their other programs are more or less traditional by definition, so they yield is not so bad for us.
They sent a view book today. It is awesome, it covers everything I'm looking for in a med school. Let's hope!

Yeah, I stressed a lot of experience stuff in their secondary. Lets see how it goes. I'm actually holding off on submitting anything till I get verified.

Almost done with GW now. That's a long app as well. I wanted to do like 4-5 today. Looks like I was aiming a tad bit high!

Yeah, I stressed a lot of experience stuff in their secondary. Lets see how it goes. I'm actually holding off on submitting anything till I get verified.

Almost done with GW now. That's a long app as well. I wanted to do like 4-5 today. Looks like I was aiming a tad bit high!
I did five but I have plenty of material to reuse. I called it quits for today at Case - their secondary is just obnoxious.

I did five but I have plenty of material to reuse. I called it quits for today at Case - their secondary is just obnoxious.
I did two, but I've just been waiting for my editor, (wife) to look thru the two I finished. Now that I have done so many essays I have a lot of material which should help me get thru the others more quickly.

I did two, but I've just been waiting for my editor, (wife) to look thru the two I finished. Now that I have done so many essays I have a lot of material which should help me get thru the others more quickly.
Same story here, except it is my sister who does the editing (and the worrying that I'm late). It is a good thing schools don't see each other's secondaries, or they'd be appalled with the shameless copy/pasting that I'm doing. ;)

Okay, 4/15 submitted, waiting to get one from Utah & UCSD. Waiting to hear if Indiana wants to interview me as well.

I think that's pretty good! I'm going to try to do 2-4 secondaries today. Wish me luck!

Maybe a little late to the party but I'm currently powering through the secondaries. :) I applied to Brown as well. I live in RI but I'm not sure they actually favor IS students. Hoping my stats are good enough. Providence is fun!

Last edited:
Maybe a little late to the party but I'm currently powering through the secondaries. :) I applied to Brown as well. I live in RI but I'm not sure they actually favor IS students. Hoping my 3.8/32 is good enough. Providence is fun!
I would hope you are not late. Party is just getting started! I'm now done with 1/3 of my secondaries! Woo hoo! Just finished Quinnipiac!

Camping sort of sucked.

And I just want to hear something from one of my schools. I need some validation.

Reactions: 4 users
"Is there anything else you would like us to know?"
I prefer my drinks neat, my coffee black, and my eggs over easy.

-----

What are the chances I could get away with writing something like this on a secondary?