2016-2017 Rutgers University - RWJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Just finished pre-writing the secondary. That was a tough one!!! Hopefuly the prompts don't change.

Does the CASPER score factor into when they send an interview? The next available date is July 10, and apparently it takes 4 weeks to score. Will the application only be marked as complete after they receive your CASPER score?

Are most of you taking the CASPER or just writing the essays for each competency?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,

When is the earliest date regular decision applicants can submit their applications?

Thanks!

@SaintBernard1 I believe the secondary was released today and part 1 can be submitted anytime! Part 2 is CASPer or supplemental essays. CASPer's first date is July 10th, so people won't have a complete app until after CASPer is graded. Judging by the sound of the email, they like the CASPer as it is a tool to judge your interpersonal and career skills. They make it clear that doing the CASPer or doing the supplement are equally weighted.

This being said, is anyone having trouble opening the document that explains how to pay the application fee?

Secondary received!

Part 1:
Please note that it is possible some questions may not apply to you. When this is the
case, please indicate as such with NA. Thank you.

1. If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for
which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a
downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).

2. If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training or if you have already graduated, please provide
information to explain this time by providing a line-by- line description of activities or
explanation delineated by month/year to month/year.

3. If you applied as a non-resident (i.e., your legal residency is a state other than NJ), please let us know if
you grew up in NJ, attended school in NJ, have parents who reside in NJ, work in NJ, etc.

4. Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the
MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests.

5. Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the
type of work, hours worked, etc. In addition, please indicate if you and/or your parents
are/were employed by RWJMS.

6. Is there anything you would like to share to clarify your application?

Part 2:
Take CASPer OR in the next series of prompts, you will reflect upon experiences, activities or
accomplishments that demonstrate each of the indicated pre-professional competencies.
Your response should be limited to one paragraph and include:

-The situation where you demonstrated the competency,
-Your actions and the resulting consequence, and
-What you learned as a result of your experience(s).
Pre-professional Competencies:
1. Integrity and Ethics
2. Reliability and
3. Dependability
4. Desire to Learn
5. Commitment to serving others/volunteering
6. Social Interpersonal and Teamwork Skills
7. Cultural Competence
8. Resilience and Adaptability

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This being said, is anyone having trouble opening the document that explains how to pay the application fee?

You need to use a Mac because the file is in ".pages" format

Is anyone else having trouble going to the application fee website? When I click the link, the server keeps timing out and says the page cannot be found

@radioactive15 Thanks! For Windows users, you have to convert .pages to .doc through an online converter! Just use google! I am also having trouble accessing the Fee Website.

I think they may have listed the wrong link in the first document. I found this link which seems to be loading perfectly fine and includes an option to pay the RWJMS processing fee. I would proceed with caution until we get word from the administration.

I think they may have listed the wrong link in the first document. I found this link which seems to be loading perfectly fine and includes an option to pay the RWJMS processing fee. I would proceed with caution until we get word from the administration.
Wow, what a find. I think I'll hold off just in case. Could be last year's fee portal? Trying to save as much money as possible through this process.

So in the secondary they ask us to explain a science grade lower than a B... Does B count? (I know it's a dumb question but I really don't have a good reason for the B. I took too many credits that year)

Edit: An additional question. For the employment question, if I get paid for being a tutor/teaching assistant, should I include it? (In my experience section I listed them as teaching/tutoring/teaching assistant instead of paid employment)

Last edited:
Is anyone going to email their completed secondary before paying the fee or will you email it after paying?

Is anyone going to email their completed secondary before paying the fee or will you email it after paying?
I'd send it in before paying. Don't think the order matters! I tried the portal that @Chimpoid found but it stops working all the way up to the point that you have to pay. Others should try. Has anyone contacted the committee to ask what the next steps are?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at the previous responses, it appears we can't even complete CASPer until July 10th? Has anyone heard from others how long the assessment takes?

I'd send it in before paying. Don't think the order matters! I tried the portal that @Chimpoid found but it stops working all the way up to the point that you have to pay. Others should try. Has anyone contacted the committee to ask what the next steps are?

I think I'll just send a check via mail or personally go to the admissions office to drop off the fee if they don't fix it by mid-week.

Looking at the previous responses, it appears we can't even complete CASPer until July 10th? Has anyone heard from others how long the assessment takes?

From what I've read on here, CASPer takes up to 4 weeks to grade and submit to school

I think I'll just send a check via mail or personally go to the admissions office to drop off the fee if they don't fix it by mid-week.

From what I've read on here, CASPer takes up to 4 weeks to grade and submit to school

Oh okay, I was more wondering about the length of the actual test, if it's 1 hour or takes a few hours to complete. Seems like you have to finish it in one sitting? (i.e. you can't save and come back at a later time?)

Oh okay, I was more wondering about the length of the actual test, if it's 1 hour or takes a few hours to complete. Seems like you have to finish it in one sitting? (i.e. you can't save and come back at a later time?)
The test is 90 minutes, one sitting. Timed sections

Debating on whether I should do the CASPer or just write the essays. I'm tired of taking tests lol

I know that it's stated that the CASPer test and essay questions are weighted equally, but has anybody seen in previous threads what successful applicants have done?

I took the CASPer test, because I thought I didn't have much to write about with the essays and I had too many other secondaries to write so I thought the test would be easier. To be honest, I didn't think the test was extremely difficult; I was mainly rushed to type my answers down, since it was timed. Hope this helps!

I spoke to my pre med advisors as well as Rutgers this am. They said that taking the CASPers was preferable. Especially since I will need it for NYMC. I am an NJ resident and really wanted to be in the early pool. The first day that I can take CASPers is July 26( I am not available 7/10) and this is the next posted date.

For those that received secondaries, when were you all verified?

One day after we could submit, I believe June 2.

I just received an email about the application fee site being fixed, but I still can't access it. Does anybody else have the same problem?

I just received an email about the application fee site being fixed, but I still can't access it. Does anybody else have the same problem?
The link they provided on the pdf doesn't work for me either. I'm hesitant to use the link that another user posted above because it's not confirmed by RWJMS

They should be sending us another email soon with the right link once they realize it's not loading

Secondary received!

Part 1:
Please note that it is possible some questions may not apply to you. When this is the
case, please indicate as such with NA. Thank you.

1. If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for
which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a
downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).

2. If you have taken time off during your undergraduate training or if you have already graduated, please provide
information to explain this time by providing a line-by- line description of activities or
explanation delineated by month/year to month/year.

3. If you applied as a non-resident (i.e., your legal residency is a state other than NJ), please let us know if
you grew up in NJ, attended school in NJ, have parents who reside in NJ, work in NJ, etc.

4. Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the
MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests.

5. Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please let us know the
type of work, hours worked, etc. In addition, please indicate if you and/or your parents
are/were employed by RWJMS.

6. Is there anything you would like to share to clarify your application?

Part 2:
Take CASPer OR in the next series of prompts, you will reflect upon experiences, activities or
accomplishments that demonstrate each of the indicated pre-professional competencies.
Your response should be limited to one paragraph and include:

-The situation where you demonstrated the competency,
-Your actions and the resulting consequence, and
-What you learned as a result of your experience(s).
Pre-professional Competencies:
1. Integrity and Ethics
2. Reliability and
3. Dependability
4. Desire to Learn
5. Commitment to serving others/volunteering
6. Social Interpersonal and Teamwork Skills
7. Cultural Competence
8. Resilience and Adaptability

How many characters are permitted for part 1?

Yea I am trying to load the site now and it is still not working.

Hi all,

I received an email yesterday stating that the website included in the welcome document was working. I tried the link today and again couldn't connect. Since then, I received an email from RWJMS Admissions with the following message:
.... If you are paying our secondary fee via a website, please try: https://banweb.rbhs.rutgers.edu:8090/PROD/twbkwbis.P_GenMenu?name=homepage

Please continue to let us know if there are any difficulties.

Thank you!

RWJMS Office of Admissions

I just submitted payment via the above link!

Last edited:
I think I'm going to end up writing the essays, because I would like to be considered early. Rather than be considered as late as August 10th.

Anyone know the character limits for part 1?

I think I'm going to end up writing the essays, because I would like to be considered early. Rather than be considered as late as August 10th.

Anyone know the character limits for part 1?
I signed up for the July 26 CASPers , I am getting concerned that this will put me in a later pool and am now reconsidering. On one hand RWJ is recommending CASPers, but on the other it does put my application back. tHoughts?

Can I sign up to take CASpers before receiving a secondary?

Can I sign up to take CASpers before receiving a secondary?

Yes I'm wondering this too..I'm gonna be on vacation for the August 11th test date, and want to take it July 26th but not sure if I'll get my secondary by then.

Soo is anyone else resizing these boxes? They are pretty darn small lol

What is the character limit for part I of the secondary. This was asked before, but not answered.

How are you guys answering question #2 of part 1? Did you just simply list what you did or did you go into more detail on what your role entailed?

If we are taking the CASPer test, do we need to indicate this in any way on the part 2 secondary?

Do we have to explain all grades lower than a B? I don't have a good reason for the grade, and don't want to sound like I'm making excuses!

Do we have to explain all grades lower than a B? I don't have a good reason for the grade, and don't want to sound like I'm making excuses!

This may or may not be relevent to your situation, but I spoke fairly generally on that prompt. Rather than mentioning each class, I basically just said that early in college I was a poor student and then later I did x, y ,z to improve.

Reactions: 1 user
Would math count as a science for question #1? The only class I have lower than a B was calculus my first semester freshman year and I'm wondering whether I should talk about that even though they say "science".

Is this somewhere we should indicate that we are taking CASPer instead of completing the essays for part 2?

Is this somewhere we should indicate that we are taking CASPer instead of completing the essays for part 2?
I was wondering the same thing. I didn't complete the part II secondary because of CASPer, but I am not sure if I need to notify them of this...

Does anyone know if its admissions would like if you did the supplemental essays and take the CASPer test even though the directions say to pick one?

Does anyone know if its admissions would like if you did the supplemental essays and take the CASPer test even though the directions say to pick one?
My bet would be to follow their instructions...