2016-2017 Rutgers University - RWJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the comforting words. Does it take them this long to send complete email? It's been 2 weeks now since I emailed them my secondaries.

Yes I submitted mine the first day it was available and it took about 2.5 weeks. They're probably receiving a lot of applications, plus they receive each bit in different forms instead of using one portal online so it probably requires more work/time for the person who is putting the application files together to do so.

Members don't see this ad.

Submitted my secondary on 8/1...still no complete email yet. They responded with "Thank you" to my email that had my completed secondary ( both parts). I decided to forgo CAPSER because the grading period was too long....I then signed up for CASPER for NYMC....took it on 8/11...and decided to send scores to both NYMC and RWJMS. Is this going to be frown upon since I already sent them written essays for part b? Also, anyone here still waiting for complete email...it's been since 8/1 for me and no email yet.
I submitted my secondary on 7/10 (Part 1) and I also completed the CASPer on 7/10. I received an email confirming that I had received Part 1 of the secondary but I haven't received a complete email yet (letters were uploaded to AMCAS 7/18).

EDIT: I just called them, turns out I never submitted the application fee because of some email error and that's why... but they just marked my application complete just now. Wow I'm dumb for not calling sooner :(

Last edited:
I already submitted the first part of the secondary, but I realized after the fact that I submitted the wrong draft... Is it even worth emailing them about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who got an II, how long after the complete email did you hear back?

Just received an interview invitation!! I was complete July 25 and I am also IS. I guess my CASPer (July 10) score was decent.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
did anyone from OOS get an interview invite? if so, can you please share your stats?

thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my secondary on 7/10 (Part 1) and I also completed the CASPer on 7/10. I received an email confirming that I had received Part 1 of the secondary but I haven't received a complete email yet (letters were uploaded to AMCAS 7/18).

EDIT: I just called them, turns out I never submitted the application fee because of some email error and that's why... but they just marked my application complete just now. Wow I'm dumb for not calling sooner :(

Sht happens...dont feel bad. We're all nervous and stressed out from the whole process and all these essays and tests to take and items to check off....good luck with everything and thanks for the response. I should call them to tomorrow since I did submit the app fee...i thought I had forgotten when you mentioned it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I spoke with someone on the phone. They said they're really busy right now and that my part b hasn't even been loaded into the system yet. I submitted both parts on 8/1.

To the kind soul who switched their interview date from sept 12 to later, you saved me hundreds of dollars, countless headaches, and 16 hours of flying. Good karma is coming your way!!

Did people get a confirmation email when they submitted part 1? I sent it in a month ago and never heard anything... Also, any CASPER 7/26 takers get the complete email? Were the scores sent out?

Just got an interview invitation!! I was complete Aug. 16th and am also IS

Reactions: 2 users
Did people get a confirmation email when they submitted part 1? I sent it in a month ago and never heard anything... Also, any CASPER 7/26 takers get the complete email? Were the scores sent out?

Yup, I got an email thanking me for submitting part 1 of my secondary.

Applied early July, elected to take CASPer-but couldn't take CASPer until 7/26. Lizzy 72
-Do they LYK when they have received Casper results ?
-In general, does anyone know how their review process goes?
-if it took 4 weeks to process CASPers, does that make that still qualify as earlier in the cycle ?

Thanks so much for your input.

If I just received my horribly disappointing MCAT score (already submitted this cycle), am I able to let the school know that I will be re-taking and to expect to see a revised score by xxx date?

If I just received my horribly disappointing MCAT score (already submitted this cycle), am I able to let the school know that I will be re-taking and to expect to see a revised score by xxx date?
I would consider waiting until taking the MCAT again. If you send that email and do not drastically improve (I believe mid-september is last date for this cycle) then it will all but kill your chances because your decision to rush the MCAT may demonstrate poor decision making. Unless you are scoring on target consistently on practice tests, you should not rush to re-take. You are better off taking the time to really improve and use the score for next cycle if need be.

I would consider waiting until taking the MCAT again. If you send that email and do not drastically improve (I believe mid-september is last date for this cycle) then it will all but kill your chances because your decision to rush the MCAT may demonstrate poor decision making. Unless you are scoring on target consistently on practice tests, you should not rush to re-take. You are better off taking the time to really improve and use the score for next cycle if need be.
The advice to 'not rush' is invaluable. Thanks!

For July 26 CASPer takers: I emailed admissions about the status of my application (submitted everything by early August). This was their response yesterday: "We anticipate to receive the July 26 CASPer scores very shortly. At that time, you will receive an email stating your application is complete". I haven't received a completion email, although they did email me a short "thank you" acknowledging the receipt of my secondary application. Hope this helps ease some anxiety.

Oh okay, I was more wondering about the length of the actual test, if it's 1 hour or takes a few hours to complete. Seems like you have to finish it in one sitting? (i.e. you can't save and come back at a later time?)
The CASPer test wasn't so bad. It was 12 sections. It just had you either watch video clips of an ethical situation or had you read like a sentence and the answer like 3 questions on the video or sentence in 5 minutes each.

If we have a fee waiver is there anything we need to do besides send in Part 1 and complete Part 2? (Aka send in that last page from the welcome letter in the secondary app email?)

For the question about getting lower than a B in a science class, does a math class count? It factors into BCPM GPA, but not sure if it's considered a "science."

For the question about getting lower than a B in a science class, does a math class count? It factors into BCPM GPA, but not sure if it's considered a "science."

I included how I struggled in one of my math classes in addition to other science classes when I answered this question.

I am scheduled to take CASPER on tuesday but i didn't realize how long it would take to get the scores back. would you guys recommend submitting the essays instead?

I am scheduled to take CASPER on tuesday but i didn't realize how long it would take to get the scores back. would you guys recommend submitting the essays instead?
Wondering the same thing. I couldve been complete a while ago if I realized earlier how long CASPER scoring will take. So tired from writing essays though :((

CASPer pros: pretty quick to complete (~90min), can be used for other schools (e.g. NYMC), kind of like a mini "online MMI" if you enjoy that format
CASPer cons: not great if you're a slow typer, costs money to take, subjectively graded (and grades are never released to you), only certain dates are available

Essay pros: you may already have written similar essays, you know exactly what you're submitting
Essay cons: might take longer to complete with all the drafting/editing, you may prefer CASPer format over writing another essay

To my knowledge, RWJMS has no preference for one over the other. Choose the option that you think you would excel at - you can do it! :joyful:

Wondering the same thing. I couldve been complete a while ago if I realized earlier how long CASPER scoring will take. So tired from writing essays though :((

Are you both applying to other schools that require CASPer?

I opted to take the CASPer because I was tired of writing essays, I thought it would help me practice for the MMI as they stated in their e-mail and I was applying to another school that required it (most important; I was not going to do double the work). From the consensus of SDN, an application is deemed to be late after Labor Day.

Pick the option that has the highest probability of making your application the best that it can be. Are you a strong essay writer? The Part 2 RWJ secondary is tough especially to come up with scenarios for each of the competencies that they ask. Just my $0.02.

Also if I remember correctly, IS applications are reviewed earlier than OOS applications.

Are you both applying to other schools that require CASPer?

I opted to take the CASPer because I was tired of writing essays, I thought it would help me practice for the MMI as they stated in their e-mail and I was applying to another school that required it (most important; I was not going to do double the work). From the consensus of SDN, an application is deemed to be late after Labor Day.

Pick the option that has the highest probability of making your application the best that it can be. Are you a strong essay writer? The Part 2 RWJ secondary is tough especially to come up with scenarios for each of the competencies that they ask. Just my $0.02.

Also if I remember correctly, IS applications are reviewed earlier than OOS applications.

I am not applying to another school that uses casper. I'm not even a strong essay writer and just so tired of writing by now that I feel like it would be even worse. Considering just being a "late" applicant at this point.

I am not applying to another school that uses casper. I'm not even a strong essay writer and just so tired of writing by now that I feel like it would be even worse. Considering just being a "late" applicant at this point.

To be honest, I think you will be fine either way. Like the poster above me said, you should pick the option that works best for you. Good luck!

Have you checked out some sample CASPer questions on the internet? If not, try some of those under timed conditions and see how you feel. I chose to do a CASPer because I think it's an interesting test that I could potentially due well in, and I was sick of writing essays as well.

Has anyone else heard if those who opted to take the July 26 CASPers have been told their application is complete yet? I completed early July and feel like the CASPers is holding up my application.

Has anyone else heard if those who opted to take the July 26 CASPers have been told their application is complete yet? I completed early July and feel like the CASPers is holding up my application.
Same

I'm also a July 26 CASPer taker, and have yet to hear a thing.

Called today and they said they have received the July 26 CASPers and are entering them .. Hopefully we will see a change in status soon..

Reactions: 2 users
Called today and they said they have received the July 26 CASPers and are entering them .. Hopefully we will see a change in status soon..

That's exciting!

Last edited:
Would love to know when people who took the July 26 CASPers get IIs . Good luck all!